Chapter 26

Chapter 26  

            Pauline sat at her desk with her head in her hands. The mail today was collection notices and filings of law suits. She was a real estate broker with a small office. Currently she is down to two agents and her last phone bill was paid by pawning jewelry. Her mother’s beautiful jewelry. She could thank that bastard David Lawrence for all these problems. She had hitched her name and real estate business to his rising star and business had improved over night. She had expanded her office and soon had eight agents working full time. David had been her biggest client. He often purchased and flipped properties giving her a double sale. They had been a good team professionally and he was a good friend. One night after a benefit for abused children, they had become friends with benefits.

David had stated several times that his business was his priority and he did not plan to marry. Pauline was very busy with her business and felt there was plenty of time for marriage later. A few months after their relationship went to another level, she wanted more. More of his time and more of him in her bed. Pauline had been his agent when he purchased the Lake Shore condo. The night after the closing she had decided to become Mrs. David Lawrence and live with him in the beautiful condo. She had begun to accompany him to many social and funding events. They had agreed that these events would help her business. Pauline started to leave articles of clothing, jewelry and shoes at his place. Still she wanted more. He was an excellent lover, handsome and a generous man.

One afternoon Pauline had dropped by David’s condo unannounced and observed him walking to his truck beside a very attractive woman. They talked for several minutes then the woman got into a car parked next to him. As they both drove off, Pauline decided to follow. Once on the Dan Ryan Highway, it became apparent they were going together just in separate vehicles. They pulled up to a furniture store in Ford City. Pauline parked and watched them shop for furniture for over an hour. They finally came out the store and the woman walked him to his truck. They talked at length then he hugged her and left. The woman returned to the store. Pauline was furious. How could he let another woman decorate his home when he had been leading her on? When did he have time for this woman when he was so busy lately when she wanted to spend time with him?

As Pauline continued to sit on the lot, she saw the woman come out of the store again. Too angry to reason, Pauline jumped out of her car and demanded to know who she was and when did she start to see David. She went on to threaten the woman until a man came out of the store and threatened to call the police. Pauline left and took her fight to David at his office. She had found him at his desk drinking a cup of coffee and reading a report. He had sat back in his chair and listened to her rant and rave without an expression or response. Finally, she took a breath and looked into David’s eyes. They were dark gold and a combination of cold and angry. Afraid of the look, she started to calm down and began to cry. David stood and handed her a tissue. He had then told her, very calmly, that the woman was his best friend’s girlfriend and an interior decorator for the store. He explained they needed to wrap up their deal on some land he was purchasing and not plan to see each other again.

The day of the closing, David had been cordial and professional but his eyes were still cold and distant. At his truck he had given her a bag with items she had left at his place then refused to listen to her apologies. Following that day, he had not taken her calls and it became harder and harder to run into him at social or fund raising events. The ones he did attend, he was never alone. Each time a different attractive woman was on his arm. She had come to the award dinner knowing he had to be there. She had spent hours shopping and getting ready determined he would not be able to resist her. Instead she had spent the evening looking at the back of David’s head or side of his face when he turned to look at his date. She was new and there was something different about her. David’s body language was different and during his acceptance speech, he had called her his lady. He had never given any woman in his life a title. She thought it may all be an act and his way of punishing her until they had gone to the dance floor. Anyone watching could tell sparks were flying. It really hurt when he kissed her gently on the dance floor. She knew David did not like public displays of affection.