Chapter 18

Chapter Eighteen

          Pat Steward reviewed the annual financial report. It was thrilling to see their monthly financial growth. Quiana lived in Chicago but contributed considerable to their St. Louis workload. Many days she completed as much work online as office staff. Pat had talked with David last night then had a long night trying to sleep. She and Quiana had been friends for eight years and she wanted to do nothing to harm their friendship. She had proven herself to be a true friend when Pat’s husband, in a jealous rage, had severely beaten her. Quiana had helped her find emergency shelter and supported her efforts to find safety. She had paid the deposit on a small studio apartment and helped to find furniture and household items.

Pat loved Quiana. She knew David loved her friend and wanted what was best for his wife and children. Pat had known from the day of their wedding that Quiana needed to live in Chicago full time. She saw the love at the wedding. She had looked David Lawrence Enterprises up on the internet and knew he could afford to take care of her. Missing her friend would hurt but she wanted her safe and happy with a man that would sincerely love and care for her.     

The offer David had made was impressive and made a lot of sense. Her phone rang and she answered knowing it was David. She answered and gave him two telephone numbers he had requested. Tonight she would pray that everything worked out as planned or Quiana would kill her.     

****************************************************

David asked Quiana to drive while he made several calls. His first call was to the realtor. He asked Sheila Logan to draw up a contract dated today. He offered the asking price. He called Helen and asked if the insurance office was still moving? They chatted a moment then he made another call. His phone rang twice and he accepted two separate invitations. One was for next Saturday and another for the following Friday.  Quiana would be in St. Louis. She glanced at him as he put the dates in his phone. He did not say who the callers had been or what the events were.   

At home he carried a sleeping DJ while Angel held his hand. “David, I could have carried him.” He pushed the elevator code then leaned and kissed her. “I’m good. I need to get ready to be a single parent.” It was the first time he seemed resigned to her leaving.

They watched a movie then settled the children for the night. David went in the office and turned on the computer. Quiana was in the next room and she could hear him laughing and talking. Occasionally his voice would drop very low. When he came out, he went into the shower and came out in silk pajamas. It was early for David but he read a report then kissed her good night. When she came to bed he kissed her again, told her he loved her then went to sleep.

Quiana was surprised David had come to bed so early and was wearing pajamas. They slept in the nude or he wore silk boxers. She came to bed after another movie and found him asleep on his front. It felt strange sleeping in their bed without his arms around her. She tossed a little while and fell asleep.  Her last thought was it would have been a good night to make love.

The shower was running and DJ was crying when she woke the next morning. She threw on a robe and went to find her baby. He was in the office and had dropped his bottle. She hugged him and found his pacifier. The baby smiled then started to reach. Turning, she saw David dressed and leaning to kiss the side of her face then DJ’s head. “Bye baby. Love you. Love you little man.” Then he was gone.

I calmed DJ then smell an odor. Taking him in his room, I clean his bottom then take him in the bathroom for his bath. It takes a minute to find all his bath items because David cleans him up before leaving for the office. An hour later he is happy after a bath and bottle. Normally he falls asleep but today he wants to play. He is so sweet I have to give him some special time. In my bedroom I sit on the floor and get his toys from under the bed. On his back he plays while I exercise his legs to strengthen them for crawling. He is really happy now and wants to bounce so we bounce for a while. He finally slows down and I sense a nap ////////////////////////.

DJ goes with me onto the office and I fire up my computer. My e-mail starts to buzz immediately. I have twenty messages. Six are from Pat. She needs help with about eight documents right away. The last message is to call my landlord it is urgent. Curious I call Mr. Sims. He and his wife retired to Arizona. I have lived in their condo for three years. My lease ends in December.

 Mr. Sims wanted to know if I would reconsider purchasing the condo. He has had an offer but the new owner will wait until I move in December to move into the unit. DJ starts to cry. Soon he is wailing and I have to walk into the hall to complete my call. Completing the call I pick DJ up and as I pat his back he releases a loud burp. Gas. I did not help him release the gas. Within minutes he is happy again. Pulling my hair and earrings then kissing my face. The telephone rings and I see it is David. “Hey baby, I have a board meeting I forgot about so I will be late.” I give a big sigh. “Do you know what time?” He seems irritated as he answers, “about eight. No later than nine.”  I tell him to have a good day and be safe and hang up. Turning to DJ, I tell him that was his da-da. He looks at me and says da-da. I get so excited and call David back. “David, DJ just said da-da and he said it perfect. “Yes I know. He has been saying it for a few days.” I am pissed. “Why didn’t I know?” He seems to pause. “Baby you were busy.”  He starts to talk to someone in the background. “Sorry, I will talk to you later.” The phone goes dead.

David comes in at eight and takes DJ out of his playpen. Angel runs and kisses and hugs him. He pats me on the head as he goes to the kitchen. He opens the refrigerator. I start to tell him I made tuna when his phone rings.

“Lawrence… hey girl…thanks for getting back so soon…look I am going to close on my house in two weeks… Naperville… you will love it …how soon can we get together…here or at the office…great see you then.

I stand with my mouth open. He got the house and did not tell me. I need to go back in the office and try to finish some work. As I start to work I feel the stress in my back.  I am going to get some work completed then I am going to get a hot bath and put on my baby doll pajamas. I know how to reopen our lines of communication and get rid of my stress.

I worked until ten then went into the bedroom and found DJ and David sound asleep. Before I can control myself, I grab my pillow and hit David in the back. “Good night Quiana. I love you.” Was his response as he returned to sleep.  I sat on the edge of the bed and pouted for a while. Then I got it. David has accepted our time is nearly up. He had a new house and was having quiet conversations with someone. Foolish me. I had to move and had made no arrangements for my son and me.  I could not be angry with David. He had kept his part of the contract. Tomorrow I would move on too. Tonight I just needed David to hold me one more time. It will probably be a long time between lovers.

I put my arms around David and started to kiss his back. “David, please make love to me. I need you.”  I wanted to say what I had wanted to say for nearly eighteen months. David beat me to it. He turned and gently kissed me and said, “I need you too Quiana and I love you.” I closed my eyes and allowed myself to believe him for tonight. Tomorrow would require a reality check but tonight I would pretend that his gorgeous, sexy man loved me as much as I loved him. Tonight I will be silent but my body will tell him over and over, “Baby, I love you more.”