Chapter 3

Chapter Three

          I am in a daze thinking how David and I must look together. This is better than the prom. My father made me go with my brother so I spent a lot of the night with David because he was my brother’s best friend. My prom picture has Jeremy on one side and David on the other. Now I am part of his picture for another celebration.

          David hugged Granny as we left. He then took my hand and we headed out the door. I was surprised to see a Lincoln with a driver waiting at the curb. Once settled in the car, he again took my hand and held it against his thigh. I wanted to ease my hand from his grasp and hold his thigh. At the end of that thought, he raised my hand to his mouth and kissed my fingers. He then placed my hand on his thigh with his hand on top. Okay now. This is starting to get spooky.

We drive down Michigan Avenue to Wacker Drive. Turning, I see the amazing Hotel 71. It is lit up against the night. We sit in a line of cabs, limos and private cars. I realize this night is a really big deal. David takes my hand and gives a light squeeze. I wonder if it is to assure me or if he is nervous. No matter. I put my other hand on top of his and give his hand a pat. He looks at me and smiles.    The doorman opens our door.

David is surrounded by friends and well-wishers as soon as we enter the ballroom. I stood quietly next to him as he introduced me to different friends, associates and business leaders. All greet David warmly and a few tease him about the award. One comment feels mean spirit so I turn and take his hand then rubbed his arm in defense and support. He squeezes my hand seeming to understand my response. I notice several women give me a close inspection or tilt their chins in a dismissive gesture. Oh, my. David has been breaking hearts. He is talking to an associate when someone comes up behind us. I feel the hand in my back. “David, Pauline, so good to see…” David and I have turned to face the speaker. He stares at me and immediately starts to blush. He is a stocky white guy with brown spikey hair. He is dressed in a nice black business suit. He has a faint evening shadow on his cheeks and his eyes appear tired.

          “Charles,” David extends his hand then turns and puts his arm around my waist. “This is my lady Quiana Lincoln. Baby, this is Charles Scott my personal banker.” I smiled then shook his extended hand. He recovered quickly and tells me how beautiful I am. “Where have you been hiding this lady, David?” He smiled and looked down at me as two cameras snap our picture. “She has been in my life for a long time. She is my childhood sweetheart. She moved out of town for a while but we are working out some details.”

          Charles never takes his eyes from mine. I smiled again then look up into David’s eyes and give him a special smile. He looks down at me and I am nearly floored. What is going on here? His look is hot and smitten and… “Sounds like Quiana may be the one to take you off the market.”  I can hear the question in his statement. David takes my hand then raises it and kisses the back.

 “If I can get her to say yes, you will be the first to know.” They chat for a few minutes then we go to David’s table as the band starts to play quietly.

          Helen Trigg is the first person I see at David’s table. She is sitting next to an   older gentleman with beautiful wavy silver hair. He stands slowly and shakes David’s hand. They seem fond of each other. Seeing David with Helen, I realize they are fond of each other too. The table seats eight and soon everyone has arrived. Charles Scott is joined by a lovely Hispanic woman in a beautiful gold suit. He introduces her as Regina his wife. David introduces me to the final couple explaining the man is his property maintenance foreman.