A Thorn In The Ice

By QueenOfGeeks

"I fully expected you to say that I was the sort of Prince whose story would involve going into cahoots with... More

Prologue
Chapter One: Dead Freeze*
Chapter Two: Bitter Cold*
Chapter Three: Walls Of Ice*
Chapter Four: Chilling Me Softly*
Chapter 5: The Melted Man*
Chapter 6: Thawed*
Chapter Seven: Stone Cold*
Chapter Eight: Cold Company*
Chapter Nine: On The Rocks*
Chapter 10: Fighting Ice*
Chapter 11: Avalanche*
Chapter 12: White Nights*
Part 13: Kiss To Chill
Part 14: Touch Of Ice
Part 15: Best Served Cold
Chapter 16: Piercing Ice
Chapter 17: Melted Resolve
Chapter 18: Frozen Solid
Chapter 19: Under Pressure
Chapter 20: Breaking The Ice
Chapter 21: Anything But Cold
Chapter 22: Snow Place Like Home
Chapter 23: Thawed Passion (Part 1)
Chapter 23: Thawed Passion (Part 2)
Chapter 24: Ice On Fire
Chapter 25: Caged In Ice
Chapter 26: As Unforgiven As Winter
Chapter 27: A Cold Bed Of Enemies
Chapter 28: The Temperature Of Pleasantries
Chapter 29: Blood On The Ice
Chapter 30: Cold Feet
Chapter 31: Chilled Depths
Chapter 32: A Cold Day In Hell
Chapter 33: The Cold War
Chapter 34: Cold Light Of Day
Chapter 35: The Chilling Truth (part 1)
Chapter 35: The Chilling Truth (part 2)
Chapter 37: Snow Time Like the Present
Chapter 38: Ice No More
Chapter 39: Over Ice (Part 1)
Chapter 39: Over Ice (Part 2)
Chapter 40: White Wedding (Part 1)
Chapter 40: White Wedding (Part 2)
Chapter 41 Ice Breaker (part 1)
Chapter 41: Ice Breaker (Part 2)
Chapter 41: Ice Breaker (Part 3)
Chapter 42: The Warmth Of Weddings (Part 1)
Chapter 42: The Warmth Of Weddings (Part 2)
Chapter 43 (Final Chapter)

Chapter 36: Frozen In Shock

1.1K 107 11
By QueenOfGeeks

Adelaide turned restlessly onto the plush burgundy and gold adorned freshly made sheets of her bed.

It was now day three of the bedrest she had been prescribed by the tall, oddly muscular healer named Delilah.
They had passed by like a haze as the warm fingers of a long overdue safe period of resting had her falling In and out of consciousness. The first day she had awoken to Iolas standing over her, checking in on her dutifully even though it was no longer his duty.
She had a strong desire to speak with him, to talk about everything that had happened, that they had shared, for she could see it tearing away at him like a poorly trained butcher, but in her groggy state, all she could seem to offer him was a weak, but warm smile.
She awoke the second day, and immediately sent for him, knowing that a talk between them was necessary, though she had absolutely no idea what she would say, but was given the news that he had gone to meet the the arriving fleet of captured enemy ships, and now, at day three he was still away dealing with placement of her newly enslaved enemies.
Work had already begun on the city, and from what she could tell, the barbarians seemed to be more accepting of their new fates than she had ever even anticipated.

As determined as she was, and even with as well as it was going, she knew no problem could be solved in a day, nor could a kingdom and its economy be fixed within a month. That knowledge though reasonable, did not stop her from stressing about things she could not fix.... just yet.
She ached for his presence, his voice, his scent. After so many days trapped and captured alone with him, to be without it left her feeling a hole in her heart.

She tried to still her focus, for as a queen so many relied on her for answers she did not have. Asking questions, she herself would have never thought off. She needed to have faith in herself because she was sure her kingdom was doubting what little hope they had in her. She was young, never meant for the throne, ruling alone and without a husband by her side, having just experienced capture and trauma, with little knowledge and intuition on how to rule with an iron yet understanding mindset.

She wanted in a way similar to that of her brother. Determined and strong, yet compassionate but, it is difficult to please everyone. She yearned for Iolas company, to have another royal to speak of such things with, but was grateful to him for the work he was now doing, the pressure he was taking off her. Her heart stung every time she thought of him, and her heart raced with so many conflicting emotions.
She felt as if she were being torn in two.

Adelaide decided it may be in her best interest to close her eyes for just a moment. Though she is not able to shut off her thoughts, she could temporarily shut out the world, and most definitely was able to shut out the sun's rays peeking past her cream-colored curtains.
Adelaide switched to resting upon her side, turning away from the window as the sun's rays seemed to dance across her room, as if teasing her with their freedom to come and go as they pleased. Touching whatever it felt like as its rose and set within the sky. Whereas she had not left the castle since her return.
She had so much power, yet she herself felt trapped.

She once had no obligations other than to love and bring honor to her brother, her staition and her country. She had roamed freely down the castle halls, played carefree in the gardens, or gone riding for hours In the forests with Simon. Guiltily she felt that she had no real, insightful knowledge on the kingdom she would one day rule over; it's citizens, her allies, and her enemies. Perhaps she should have paid better attention during her private lessons or took interest in the times in which Xavier called together his advisors to discuss issues and solutions. If she thought Xavier's ruling seemed stressful, it was nothing in comparison to rebuilding what once was. To think there were times in which she would throw a fit saying that he didn't care enough to spend time with her. Throwing how her parents were no longer within their lives in his face to guilt trip him. Meanwhile she had no clue all the burdens he carried upon his shoulders of not just her best interest, but of the thousands that trusted their futures and lives upon him.

A knock on the door brought her out of her moment of self-loathing, and self-pity.
"Adelaide, may I come in?"
A familiar voice from the other side had her smiling. It was Simon.

Sitting up and smoothing her dress down, Adelaide turned towards the door and called out,
"You may come in."
Stepping into the familiar room Simon turns his attention to the redhead on the bed. The ones whose spirit matched her hair, an ever burning and powerful ember. One couldn't help but admire how far she had come and the strong woman she had become.
"How are you doing?"
He questioned.

Finding comfort in both his question and his presence Adelaide relaxed.
Not needing to keep up the charade that she had it all together in front of the male who knew her so well. In reality she was falling apart and holding on by a thread. She never truly had time to process anything as something worse would pop up. The amount of closure she failed to receive and all that she was feeling had built up and things kept building up, she needed an outlet.
She knew in her heart she could not tell him everything that plagued her, for telling this man who had twice defied the odds to prove his love, despite their original staitions, and then his own near death, to speak to him the full truth would destroy him.
She could not tell him how her heart, which for so long had belonged soley to him, now ached with a painful confusion for another.

"So many decisions resting on my shoulders without a guaranteed solution. Rulers are supposed to grow into the throne, learn the ropes. I fear being an incompetent queen."
She responds, breaking off towards the end as she starts thinking out loud.
It was one thing to question herself with her mind, it was another to verbalize how she felt to another being.

Simon strode over to sit beside her on the bed. Reaching out to grab her hand and playing with her fingers Simon stared at the intricate design on the ceiling above him.
"I dont think ruling is supposed to be easy, and anyone who finds it so is likely a terrible ruler."
He spoke, turning to the women beside him.
Truthfully, Adelaide wanted nothing more than to roll her eyes at his corny statement, but she knew he had her best interest at heart and could relax slightly knowing so.

"Unfortunately my visit here is not just a social call. Your head of the church is downstairs and has requested an urgent meeting."
Moving to lean over Adelaide, Simon tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear he smiles at her brightly.
"Im not sure what he wants, but that old salt shaker actually requested my presence as well, so maybe things won't be quiet so boring." Simon spoke teasingly.
Rolling her eyes Adelaide tries to hold in her laughter.
"Would you like me to bring him in here or do you feel well enough for a trip downstairs?"
He asked.
"Fetch my maid. I think it's time for me to get out of this bed."

"You know that I will always have your back." Simon said, grasping her hand as they made their way to the royal study, one of the few rooms in the castle that had gone almost miraculously untouched whilst the rest lay destroyed and vandalized.
Simom pushed open the two large brass doors before her to the study, and revealed a tall and thin, ornately robed elderly man with neat but white as snow hair and a matching beard awaiting them.
He rose from his seat and greeted the queen with a smile, and slight bow.
"Your eminence..."
Greeted Adelaide, taking his hand to kiss his ring.
"It is good to see you my child. Never did imagine the small bald head I once baptized would grow to suit a crown so well."
He stated warmly.

Arch Bishop Ferdinand was once her brother's advisor and at his age his experience spoke wonders compared to others younger and more personable.

"Thank you for your kind words. It is good to see you again as well. I was incredibly relieved that you made it to the cavern monastery, and even more so that said holy place went undetected to our enemies. I wish we had more time for pleasantries but the Horse Lord has informed me that you have an urgent matter you wish to discuss."
Spoke Adelaide.

"Indeed." Nodded the holy man.
Adelaide moved to sit beside the desk and Simon choose to stay standing at her side.
"I will keep my words short and to the point, as I am sure you have many other pressing matters that need attending."
He began, remaining standing.
"Aelford was struck hard by this war, and not only in the physical sense, but the spiritual as well."
Arch Bishop Ferdinand folded his arms behind his back and began to gently pace in the manner of a man greatly concerned for the souls of his nation.
"Though you are proving to be a capable queen, you are still a new one, one they do not really know. After all that has transpired, the peoples faith in both the monarchy and the church is shaken, so measures must be taken to show them unity, strength, and to renew their hope for a happy future."

"I take it you have a solution?"
Adelaide leaned onto her hands.
"Yes. A marriage of course. Yours. I have come to inform you that I have rescheduled it for in three days time, just enough to repair the least damaged cathedral to functional."

_______________________

A/N: Guess who got on pandemic aid? THIS GIRL! Super happy and wayyy less stressed. This means wayyyyyyyy more time to write. Hopefully I can have this book finished within two weeks! Hope you guys are doing all right and I cannot wait to read your thoughts on this chapter.
All my love
-QueenOfGeeks

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9M 68.2K 53
Woke up in the ancient era frightened the hell out of her. But she has to make a choice : Let the real plot take place or try to change it. ••• His p...
3.3K 107 10
This is a Zombie Apocalypse story. Takemichi is a girl and is Baji's twin sister.{She has black hair in this not blonde} Kazutora x Fem Takemichi On...
67.9K 3.6K 53
It is the season for love and murder in the court of Ravaeryn. After a chance encounter one winter night, Lady Catarina de Fontaine had fallen hopele...
135K 11.4K 105
Cole Glassad couldn't care less about the upcoming palace ball meant to find a wife for the prince. Her life is down in the dangerous Sparkstone mine...