Chapter Four: Chilling Me Softly*

Dedicated to: MfonFidelis

__________________

"I'm cold as ice but in the right hands, I'll melt."
-Author Unknown

"I wish to go back to my room now."
Adelaide announced once the game had wound down.
Iolas noted not only her breathlessness, but the fact that her cheeks were flushed with a healthy color that he hadn't seen since before his banishment from her kingdom.

"Alright highness,"
He gave a half smile, unsure of why he was so glad to see her spirits up.
"let's get you back to bed."

Iolas gave his arm to Adelaide, which she took as if it were a second nature, leaning in much closer, and no longer keeping him at an arms length.
He was caught off gaurd by a whiff of her hair, which smelled pleasantly like lily of the valley, reminding him of summer, this coupled with the memory of warm summer days had an immediate and unexpected soothing affect on the Prince, and he had to fight off the urge to take another whiff.

After wishing the children goodnight, together they walked back towards the castle, inside, and then up the many stairs. Though she appeared very much exhausted, each of her steps seemed more steady than the next, as if her ill disposition and weakness had been caused as much by her mental state as it was by her physical one.

When they reached the room, Adelaide was surprised to find her bed it in the exact state she had left it, with the blankets and sheets in disarray and the pillows askew and unfluffed. Now for a commoner, this would be the norm, but for the former princess turned queen, master of a usually well staffed castle, it was a first.

"It appears your maid has been slacking." Iolas tsked, helping her through the door.
"This is very unlike her, I can only assume some mishap must have befallen her." Said Adelaide with worry.

Sensing her unease, Iolas opened the door back up and quietly instructed a gaurd to find out her whereabouts.
"I'm sure she is fine, probably just fell asleep by the fire, or was snatched away by her husband for a quick rendezvous." He jokingly reassured.

"Iolas, mind your filth!"
She smacked him on the arm, but couldn't completely force away the smile from his suggestive assumptions featuring the kind hearted, plump middle aged woman.

With a shake of his head, he next eased her into the bedside chair, the one he usually sat in, and much to her surprise, began to make the bed himself. Adelaide could only watch wide eyed and open mouthed and he did his best to straighten, tuck and fold the blankets, and then pick up and fluff the pillows back into shape.
The final work was sloppy, with the sheets still wrinkled, and the blankets hung unevenly, but this this did not dampen the queen's awe in the slightest.

She could say nothing, only shake her head in disbelief as he helped her into the bed.

A knock sounded at the door.
"Enter." Adelaide called out.
It was Mildred, a dinner tray in her hands, her face red, and eyes down cast in shame.
"My humblest apologies for my neglect of my duties your grace. If you so will it I shall willingly resign."

"What, may I ask," began Iolas, narrowing his eyes.
"was more important than fulfilling your duties to your queen?"

"I am so very sorry Your Grace,"
The servant looked to be on the verge of tears.
"My daughter was injured and I lost every thought but to attend to her."

"Will your child be alright?"
Adelaide inquired, the concern in her voice quite obvious.
"Yes, just a twisted ankle. She slipped on the ice in the courtyard, but I believe should heal up in a week or so."

"Mildred..." Adelaide began with a sigh, "I will forgive your absence this time, for it was one made only out of motherly love. Prince Iolas has proven to be more than capable in your absence. You are excused for the rest of the day. Please go tend to your child."

"Thank you My Queen." Mildred exhaled a long sigh of relief before setting down her tray, after a quick curtsy, she left the room.

Not much was said as they ate.
Adelaide found herself almost too tired to speak. She finished her meal, this time without any assistance.
he took her plate, and handed her a clothe to wipe her mouth before standing up to take the tray and empty dishes and set them outside the room.

When he returned to the bedside, she lay all the way down into the bed and had pulled the blankets up around her to fend off the bitter winters chill.
She gazed upon him and furrowed her brows. He froze, feeling the intensity of her gaze, it felt as if it would burn right through him, and he was left standing their wondering what on earth he could have done.

"Perhaps their is still time to catch that white horse after all."
She said with a soft smile.
"Goodnight Iolas."
She wished for the first time since his return, before turning away from him and onto her side, where she was soon overtaken by sleep.

Iolas sat in his chair, watching her,
He had no more reason too, as his duties were relieved until the morning, but still he did.
Her last words ran through his mind in a loop. What she said, it slowly sunk in, the weight of her words growing heavier with each steady rise and fall of her sleeping form.
The words she had chosen may have only been a continuation of his earlier jest, but the meaning behind them was so much more, for her voice had carried the foundations of hope.

His brown eyes trained on her, looking at her with what felt like fresh eyes. Starting at her long, loose red hair, it cascaded from her head, over the pillows and along the edge of the bed. Next his gaze trailed along her pale, creamy skin; starting first at her forehead, stopping next at her eyes, which were lightly closed, he stared at her long eyelashes, which where the same shade as her hair and seemed to glisten hypnotically in the candlelight. Continuing to her cheeks, he saw that they warm with a color that had not been there upon his arrival, or even that same morning. His dark eyes roved to her peachy lips, which he noticed for the first time were actually quite plump and supple, the kind of lips that could kiss a man into chaos.

His eyes widened at his own inner monologue, but before he could do any more hard thinking on the matter, she shifted in her sleep. The blankets slid from where she had bundled them around her neck, and the crook of her arm caught on the fabric of her nightdress, pulling it down to reveal her clavicle, and the inner sides of her supple breasts.

Iolas heard a faint groan, but hastily realized it had been his own.
Looking down at his lap, he stiffled a gasp, for along the front of his expensive, ornate white trousers, was the obvious outline of an erection.

Shocked, and disgusted, he pushed away from the chair and hastily exited her quarters.
Has it really been so long Iolas?
He shook his head, chiding himself as he sought solice in the icy nights air.

________________

A/N:

Hey guys,
Sorry for the delay, I was in a car accident and am actually in the hospital. I know it's short but I hope you enjoyed it, and because of the delay and the length, I'll make it up to you with a bonus chapter asap.
Do you like the new cover? It was designed by the AMAZING GretchenBearer (go follow her for awesome stuff)
Your Author
-QueenOfGeeks