Chapter 35: The Chilling Truth (part 1)

Delilah was not quite sure what to expect when she had followed alongside a couple of guards through the halls of the dilapidated and heavily vandalized palace.

She was torn, between the knowledge that someone was in need of her assistance and the knowledge that the person who needed it was the same one who had unknowingly taken her happiness from her. She wasnt sure why she had come to this faraway land, but after Simon had left her, she had felt her heart pulling her to go after him, and her feet had simply followed along.
She couldn't sleep after he left, and barely ate; knowing that Simon had left her to fight in a dangerous war that he would likely not survive broke her heart more than his leaving actually did. Unable to chop down even one more tree, as her hands constantly trembled with fear for him, she had loaded up Pompeii with bags full of medicines and made the long trek.
A war meant wounded people, and at least with that, she knew she could help.

She wasn't too keen on venturing far from her home, even just for the briefest of moments, but after arrival, she had come accross a large party headed for the citidale, and began tending to the seemingly never ending supply of wounded people. She found the work had really helped to numb her mind from the ache in her heart.
But never did she think that her skills would travel so soon and so fast through the Aelfore citidale that when the very queen herself required a healer, that she, a foreigner, was sought and summoned. Her heart had been beating against her chest with a rate that could very well eject the poor thing right from her chest ever since a weary looking soldier had told her that the Lord of Horses was seeking a healer to see the apparently injured queen.
He had to know it was her.
She had repeatedly thought as she followed the soldier to the castle.
But the shocked look on his face when she entered told an entirely different story.

The manner in which he cried out the healers name caused both Iolas and Adelaide to turn their attention sharply towards the newcomer.
It was clear he knew her, and even more clear, that he looked absolutely shocked to see her.

"Have you two met before?"
Adelaide questions, slowly reaching up from the bed and grasping Simon's nearby hand.
She had done so out of habit as she calmly awaited an answer.
The pair had grown up together and she was more than familiar with the people whom he associated himself with, as was he with her, but this muscular woman with dark eyes was a stranger she did not know.
From across the room Delilah noted the small, but familiar movement. The sharp pain in her chest at the sight of their hands entwined had her faltering for but a moment, she quickly reminded herself of her place before she attempted a never before done courtesy. The woman before her was just as Simon had described and on looks alone, the Queen was breathtakingly beautiful and she could see why he had been so infatuated with her.

Simon subconsciously squeezed Adelaide's hand in return.
Forgetting she had asked a question as he remained in shock at seeing his former would be lover again.
Simply seeing her again had caused him to lose his breath.
Yes, he has asked for a healer indeed and he would never deny Adelaide of the best care possible, but Simon still could not believe it was Delilah, of all people.

"I take it you didn't send for me by name."
She said to Simon, the fact that she was in the room with a literal queen and even a foriegn prince lost to her, for her vision seemed to tunnel and all she could focus on was him.
"No, I put out an order to find me the best healer they could."
He responded, mouth suddenly going dry. He just simply couldn't fathom that in asking for a healer, any healer with abundant knowledge, would lead to Delilah quiet literally showing up at the door. The healer of choice, the one picked based on knowledge, was the woman he had met by miracle, and fallen in love with by chance.

"Well, that they did."
She shot back a small, but clearly pained smile. Oh had he missed her dearly and though glad to see her standing before him, it wasn't something he had ever expected. The sound of a loud throat clearing had him withdrawing from his inner thoughts and looking over his shoulder at the source of the noise.
The clear tension in the room had Iolas  rocking on his feet in anticipation. Catching Simon's gaze the Prince nodded his head towards Adelaide, who was still awaiting an answer to her question.

"Oh yes..." Simon returned his attention to the woman whose hand he held.
"Remember when I told you an angel had saved me after you thought I died?" He continued.
"Well that is she, my angel."
He gestured to Delilah, and the tenderness and care in his voice had her heart breaking again as if for the first time.

"Simon seems not to be the best at telling a story without turning it into a tall tale." Delilah let out through a warm laugh stepping forward to formally introduce herself to the Queen.
"I'm Delilah. And as for where we met, or should I say how, it was after Simon decided to take an icy swim. I found him washed up on the banks of a river near my home. I put him back together again but only in time for him to run back and try to break himself apart once more it seems.''
Delilah supplied smiling politely, eyes trailing to his many new cuts and bruising, for though she was speaking to Adelaide her eyes seemed to find it difficult to stray from Simon.

Realizing that the Amazonian looking woman before her was the one who stood between the life and death of Simon, Adelaide forwent formalities.
"Please approach." She motioned her nearer and then drew the earthly smelling women into her arms for a hug.
Pulling back slightly to look into Delilah's eyes with tears in her own Adelaide exclaimed.
"I can never repay you for what you've brought back to me. I know that I shall be in capable hands."
Her words both complimented and stung the woodswoman, and after the embrace was finished she slowly looked towards the floor suddenly feeling meak.
"The least I can do is offer you permanent residence in the palace and give you the title of royal healer. I could make you a Lady as my brother had made Simon a Lord."
Adelaide spoke after some thought. Hoping to repay Delilah in the best way her staition allowed.
Though beyond humbled and grateful for the offer Delilah knew where her heart belonged, up in the mountains and as far away from the Horse Lord as possible.
"My queen, the stone walls of a palace for you resemble that of a prison for me. My home is in the mountains and among the trees."
Stated Delilah, leaving out that her apology would make Simon the Warden. She could not stay so near him and watch him love another.

Adelaide contemplated Delilah's words before nodding slowly in understanding.
"Alright, I do understand. Just be aware that the offer still stands, and you shall always be a welcomed guest here within Aelford and my palace."
Promised the Queen.
"That is very kind of you your Grace. Now if the men would please leave the room so I might examine you?"

Simon and Iolas left the room, and with the knowledge that Adelaide was safe within the walls of the castle, and under the care of an apparently well equipped healer, an exhausted Iolas gave Simon a polite nod before walking toward the room opposite and laying into the first free bed he could find for some much needed rest.

Tired himself, Simon slid down against the wall beside the queens door to wait.
Delilah emerged in time and he scrambled to his feet.
"She will be fine with a few days of rest and rejuvenating herbs."
Delilah answered the question before he had asked it. Her tone more professional and detached than he had ever heard it.
"Next I'd like to take a look at that prince. I can tell from the way he walked that he has damaged his ribs. Take me to him please."

"I will... but Delilah, can I talk to you first?" Simon sighed, the pain in his eyes matching what she kept hidden behind hers in a way that made it impossible to refuse him.

"Very well. She answered, and he led her into another empty room.

_____________________

A/N: Hey guys,
Hope you all had a good week.
As we near the end of this story, I am left for the first time in 5 years with the freedom to write a brand new one.
I honestly dont know which of my ideas to pick. I have some in an ideas book I posted on here, if you want to help, go check it out and then come back here and comment with what you would like to read next.
Thanks guys.
-QueenOfGeeks

_______________________