Memory of You

Por Andene

What would you do if the one you loved couldn't remember you? It's been three years since she took the throne... Más

Memory of You
An Excerpt From The Diary of A Queen...
Chapter One: So Number 50326...You Are?
Chapter Two: You Broke My Favorite Mug?!
Chapter Three: The Game of Revenge
Chapter Four: This Means War!
Chapter Five: Let The Mind Games Begin
Chapter Six: Memories
Chapter Seven: Secrets
Chapter Eight: Intervention? For What?
Chapter Nine: You've Met My Advisor...
Chapter Ten: What? Are You Checking Up On Me Here Too?
Chapter Eleven: The Uncalm Before The Storm
Chapter Twelve: The Waiting Game
Chapter Thirteen: Finished
Chapter Fourteen: Everyone Has A Dark Side
Chapter Fifteen: Twenty
Chapter Sixteen: Can't Get You Off My Mind
Chapter Seventeen: What If I...
Chapter Eighteen: What About Us
Chapter Nineteen: Promise Me...
Chapter Twenty: Not Mixing Business and Pleasure
Chapter Twenty One: The First of Many
Chapter Twenty Two: Unlearned Lessons
Chapter Twenty Three: A New Year Like No Other
Chapter Twenty Four: A Moment Of Peace
Chapter Twenty Five: To Be Young & Free
Chapter Twenty Six: This Is Where My Heart Takes Over
Chapter Twenty Seven: Future Past
Chapter Twenty Eight: You're Mine, & Mine Alone
Chapter Twenty Nine: The Dance of Masks
Chapter Thirty: And This Is Where It All Falls Apart
Chapter Thirty One: The Two of You Are Perfect, Because You're So Stubborn
Chapter Thirty Two: Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder
Chapter Thirty Three: Before It All Fades To Black
Chapter Thirty Four: I Won't Give Up
Chapter Thirty Five: Who Are You?
Chapter Thirty Six: Every Now & Then
Chapter Thirty Seven: Nothing Hurts Like You
Chapter Thirty Eight: Crying Out For Him
Chapter Thirty Nine: In Close Proximity
Chapter Forty: Into The Isle
Chapter Forty One: What Was Meant To Be
Chapter Forty Two: The Morning After Dark
Chapter Forty Three: Swimming In The Deep End
Chapter Forty Four: Bridging The Divide
Chapter Forty Five: Love of A Lifetime
Chapter Forty Six: Shouting From The Rooftops
Chapter Forty Eight: Never Let Me Go
Chapter Forty Nine: All These Memories Of You
Chapter Fifty: The Last Night
Chapter Fifty One: This Is Where It All Goes To Hell
Chapter Fifty Two: I'll Take My Chances
Chapter Fifty Three: A Rose Among Thorns
Chapter Fifty Four: In A Blink Of An Eye
Chapter Fifty Five: The Last Preparations
Chapter Fifty Six: The Plains of Ryden
Chapter Fifty Seven: The Return of A Knight
Chapter Fifty Eight: It All Ends Here
Chapter Fifty Nine: Happily Ever After...
An Excerpt From The Diary of A Queen...
Epilogue

Chapter Forty Seven: Begin Again

70 1 0
Por Andene

Chapter Forty Seven: Begin Again

"You remember Brian?"

"The sous chef? Of course I remember Brian."

Walking down the corridor of the castle, Mark and Valek were making sure Nicholas would be okay on his first day back in the kitchen. Stifling a laugh at the look of disbelief on his at Valek's question Mark motioned for them to stop at the kitchen doors.

"We're just checking, mate."

"Well, I still remember how to cook, and the names and duties of my staff." The chef-turned-lord remarked, dressed in a dark short-sleeved, collared shirt.

"I believe you. Considering it was you who made that fish in Endymion more palatable. Otherwise, I probably would have passed, and Alex wouldn't have touched it." The guard admitted.

Thanks..." Nicholas nodded. "So do they know what happened, and why I was away?"

"No. All anyone was told was that you had gone with Mark to research what new technologies or concepts should be introduced to Canterbury & Rosslyn." The blonde haired guard answered.

"Okay."

"But..." Mark watched as Nicholas froze upon hearing the words. "We told Brian to help you out if need be, and not to overload you. We said you were probably exhausted from all that traveling."

"Fair enough, I suppose." The lord said shortly, after thinking it over. He looked up and grinned. "I guess I need to remember we're not going to be jumping from place to place."

Laughing, Mark patted his best friend's shoulder before pushing him towards the door.

"Go on then, enjoy your first day back."

"Make sure you don't burn anything." Valek called, as Nicholas shot them a look of disdain.

"Think he'll be okay?" His cousin asked, as the chef disappeared through the doors.

Hearing a loud clatter of pots and pans crashing to the floor, Mark shrugged.

"He should be fine." Mark answered, not bothering to move and check up on what had happened.

Instead they heard voices. 'Lord Nicholas, you're back!' 'Now the Queen won't come to cook for herself' Someone cheered. Starting to walk away from the kitchen, Mark shook his head, smiling.

"I love how they think Nicholas has the power stop Alex from cooking." Valek snickered.

"Little do they know about the power she has over Nick."

Laughing as they headed in the direction of the Oak Room for a meeting with their elite guard, Mark noticed Valek mull over something.

"They're doing okay, those two?"

"They seem to be. It's been good for both of them. He's starting to get back to his old self, and she's more than happy to have him back." He nodded. "They've already spoken about taking things slowly."

"Good...I'm glad."

Entering the Oak Room, they found their men assembled around the table. Having discussed with Valek, they had decided to keep Samuel on the guard for now. He was good at getting information and surveillance, which they currently needed.

"Alright men. What do we have on Crawley?" Mark asked, sitting down at the head of table with Valek beside him.

"Nothing, sir." Aram spoke up. "We've looked every where, and still there is nothing else linking him to David Grimaldi, other than the guard."

"That can't be." Valek muttered. "There must be something we're missing."

"But what?" Mark asked, looking at his cousin before turning to the guards. "We can't tell Her Majesty without any substantial proof."

"We are talking about one of the older lords." Valek said, looking around the table.

Mark leaned forward in his seat, towering his fingers, contemplating their options.

"Well men, what could we be missing?

...

Nodding off at her desk, Alexandra would have put her head down if it weren't for the men sitting in front of her. It was a little past noon, and she was worn out. The senior dukes and lords were seated, discussing several issues. Words flew through the air, some catching her attention, while others simply floated over her head. With everyone back at the castle, things had started to settle down. None of the lords or dukes had realized that the Queen had been away for so long. Thank you, Sophia; Alexandra thought gratefully.

"Your Majesty, we said we would discuss your trip to the districts once the summer arrived." Lord Azriel said, grabbing her attention.

Clearing her mind, she looked to find them watching her intently. Glancing up at the clock, she noticed that they still had a half an hour left with her.

Having been absent for quite some time, Alexandra had almost forgotten what it felt to be in these meetings, she almost found herself wishing they were back on the road traveling again. Although, she would prefer it to be more relaxing. Knowing that she had just gotten back and there was much work to be done, she didn't think there was any choice.

"I'm afraid that we will have to postpone the visits to early next year. As there is still so much work to be done. The lords and dukes are working with their communities to finish up projects, many of which are due to end at the beginning of next year, and I think it would be best if I went once those were completed." She said, remembering some of the reports she had been reading. "To see the fruit of their hard labor."

The lords nodded and smiled.

"Yes, Your Majesty. That does sound more constructive." They agreed.

Seeing an opening, Alexandra hoped she could get off a little bit early. Her eyes were starting to droop.

"Well, if that's all then, why don't we meet again later next week to discuss the plans for the 'Mid Summer's Night' Festivities." She suggested.

"Yes, of course. " They said, without protest. A slight cheer rose within her. They would be leaving her alone early!

"We will be taking our leave, Majesty." The men said, getting up to leave the room.

The door closing firmly behind them, Alexandra sighed with relief. So far her meetings had been going off without a hitch. Probably because I've been reading all their reports, she thought, getting up.

Walking over to the couch, she took a pillow and headed back to her desk. There were still papers to be read before her meeting with the Lower House, and if she got to comfortable sleeping on the couch, the reading would never get done. It was best if she just closed her eyes at her desk.

Resting her head on the pillow, no sooner had she closed her eyes, that there was a knock. Forcing her head up, Alexandra wanted to kill whoever was on the other side of the door.

"Alex! Are you busy?" Sophia said, coming in to the room, with Valek following behind her. "You said you wanted me to give you a run down of what you need to know for the meeting with the Lords."

That was probably the other reason why Alexandra had been able to glide back into her role so seamlessly. Sophia had been giving her short summaries of what had been going on while she had been away.

"Just give me five minutes." She muttered, letting her head fall back into the pillow.

"Don't even think about it, Lexie. Up, up, up. Time to get you prepped before the meeting." Valek said, pulling her up by the shoulders.

"But it's in two hours!"

"And you're going to need every minute of it to prepare." She could hear the smirk in his voice, while Sophia snickered.

That man knew exactly how to grate on her nerves, and spring her into action. Feeling a spurt of energy, Alexandra sat up straight.

"Okay, Soph. Let's go through it then." She said with determination. "If I finish this in an hour...I can sleep for half an hour right before the meeting!"

"We'll see about that."

Ignoring Valek's snide remark, she watched as Sophia took a seat opposite to her.

"Okay, so what do I need to know about Charon and their plans for solar panels?"

...

Turning over, Nicholas wrapped his arms around the warmth beside him, pulling the source closer. Smiling, he buried his face in her hair.

"Mmm...waking up with you is something I could get used to." He murmured into Alexandra's ear.

It had been the first time in a week that she had stayed with him through the night, since their return. Her busy schedule, and his re-acquaintance with his regular duties, left both of them too exhausted to spend time together. As the week ended, she had decided that with no meetings scheduled for the weekend, they would spend the days in each other's company.

"Miss sharing a room already?" He heard her snicker.

"I do sometimes."

"Me too." She said quietly, turning to look at him. Alexandra's hazel eyes glowed in the early morning light.

Leaning in, he kissed her gently, her soft lips parting and a sigh of contentment escaping.

"I'm glad we get to spend a couple of days together." Nicholas touched his forehead against hers. His arms still around her waist, he didn't want to let her go.

Drinking in her features, he noticed that even with her hair tousled, Alexandra managed to look ethereal. Her natural beauty radiated, always catching him off guard.

"So am I."

"What's the plan then?"

Watching her glance at the clock on his bedside table, he heard her sigh heavily.

"Well, since you've woken us up at the ungodly hour of seven in the morning, on a weekend no less...want to go to the kitchen and make breakfast?" Alexandra asked, kissing him lightly, leaving him wanting more.

"Sounds like a good plan." He agreed.

Once both of them had gotten dressed, they walked hand in hand towards the kitchen. Luckily, the staff had been given the weekend off. He had seen how tirelessly they worked, trying to keep him from being overwhelmed.

"What would you like for breakfast, Lex?"

"Something sweet!" She said, making him laugh. Always one for sugary treat, he didn't know how Alexandra could love those so much.

"How about I make you some cinnamon buns?"

"That sounds delicious!"

Getting to work, Nicholas brought out the ingredients, setting them along one counter before helping Alexandra with the measurements, and kneading the dough. It wasn't long before they were sprinkling one side of the dough with a cinnamon-sugar mixture, and then rolling the dough up and cutting the buns.

Putting the tray of buns in the oven, he looked over to see Alexandra mixing the icing together. Walking over to stand behind her, he placed his hands to either side of her, and moved closer, kissing her cheek. From the side, he could see her lips turn up into a smile.

"Want to taste?" She asked, looking up at him, eyes twinkling.

"Sure." Nicholas nodded, without thinking.

Offering a finger covered in the icing, he licked it. But before he could make any remarks, Alexandra had put the remaining icing on his nose, giggling at the state of him.

Unable to stop a grin from forming, he wrapped an arm around her, to hold her in place. Alexandra squealed, knowing what was about to happen.

"Smart, Lex." Nicholas murmured, before dipping his own finger in the icing and running it along her lips, nose, and cheek; as she struggled against him in protest.

"Nick! That was evil!" She turned to glare at him, as he let her go.

"And what you did wasn't?" He asked, before kissing her iced lips, he smirked. "Not bad though, Lex. You put in just the right amount of vanilla."

Licking the icing off her cheek, he noticed her become breathless. It always amused him, when he saw the affect he had on her. She looked a little dazed, having forgotten her grief with him. Alexandra reached up, bringing his lips to hers once more. The icing making her lips taste sweeter, he prolonged the kiss.

Hearing the oven timer ring, he reluctantly pulled away. He needed to check on their breakfast. Wetting a towel, he wiped his nose before offering it to Alexandra.

"Want me to help?" He teased, rubbing her nose before handing it to her.

"No!" She stuck out her tongue.

Chuckling, he walked over to the oven to see how much more time the cinnamon buns would need. Hearing footsteps behind him, he noticed Alexandra stand beside him and peer at the buns.

"Are they done yet?" She asked, hopefully.

Before he could answer, the kitchen doors swung open.

"Something smells really good."

Walking in to the kitchen, Valek and Mark grinned as they saw the couple, Sophia trailing behind them. Inwardly sighing that his time alone with Alexandra had come to an end, Nicholas smiled at his sister and their friends.

"Freshly baked cinnamon buns. You're lucky, you'll get them right out of the oven, nice and hot."

With their friends sitting around the table and chatting, Nicholas helped Alexandra ice the buns once they came out of the oven. The icing starting to melt and run down the sides, Nicholas placed the cinnamon buns on a tray and followed Alexandra to the table, placing their breakfast at the center. Taking a seat beside the young Queen, he entwined his fingers with hers, under the table, as they joined in the conversation.

...

Laughing as her brother told them details about his, Mark's, and Alexandra's time in Malachite, Sophia took another bite of her cinnamon bun. They were recounting how they had found Alexandra in a clothing store by luck.

It felt like no time had passed since they were last together, before David's unwarranted attack. At first, she had worried a little bit that her brother wouldn't remember her. All those doubts had been put to rest the moment she had seen him, and he had reassured her that he did indeed recall who she was. A part of her did feel bad for her best friend though, it must have been hard on Alexandra knowing that Nicholas wouldn't be able to remember her. Clearing away the sad thoughts, Sophia paid attention to the cheery atmosphere around them. They were all enjoying themselves. Nicholas and Alexandra were holding hands, laughing at Mark's re-telling of their time in Polaris, while Valek grinned as he ate another cinnamon bun.

Having waited a week, Sophia was a bit nervous about telling Alexandra and Nicholas about Samuel's proposal. The former guard had caught up to her during the week to ask her for her hand in marriage. At that moment, Sophia had been inclined to agree, but somehow used all her restraint to tell Samuel to wait. She had decided that she wanted to tell her brother first, before making a decision. After all, Samuel had hurt her, and though he had apologized profusely for his actions; she wanted her brother's approval before giving the man her answer.

As the group started to quiet down, taking a deep breath, Sophia decided to speak up.

"Umm...Nick...Alex...I have something to tell you." Sophia started nervously.

Hazel and grey eyes landed upon her, watching her intently. Looking over at the pair of guards, she saw Valek nod, while Mark stared at her curiously.

"So...while you were gone..." She said, hesitantly. "An interesting thing happened."

"What?" Her brother asked.

"Samuel told Valek he was quitting the guard. He didn't go through with marrying that girl in Ifa, and he apologized about what happened between us. He asked me to marry him a couple of days ago."

Silent...it was dead silent, she thought worried. Glancing to and from the guards and her brother and her best friend; she saw the lot of them exchange looks. Their expressions blank, she wasn't sure what they were thinking.

"Well?" She asked, tentatively.

"What did you say?" Alexandra asked after a moment, finally breaking the silence.

"I haven't given him an answer yet. I said I wanted to tell Nick and you all first."

"Have you asked Mom and Dad?"

"I have...they said it was up to me." She told him. "Nick...should I accept his proposal or not?"

The question lingered between them. She knew Nicholas had not liked what had happened the first time. Samuel had promised her that if she accepted him, it would be different.

Noticing Alexandra look at Nicholas, she saw something pass over her brother's face. Those two really are meant for each other, she thought once more, even though she had not expected things between them to become normal so quickly. They could have entire conversations with just a look. It was something she hoped she would find with the person she chose to be with.

"I'll support whatever you decide, Soph. I just want you to be happy." Her brother said at last, making her smile. "Follow your heart."

...

Sitting in among his fellow lords in a meeting with the lower house, Nicholas found his attention wavering. Glancing up from the papers which he had been looking at, trying to follow along while Lord Fletcher spoke, Nicholas found himself watching the Queen.

Dressed in a deep purple gown, she seemed to be paying attention to what was being said, that was until Nicholas caught her shuffling papers and holding them up, as though taking a closer look. He knew the tactic, Alexandra was yawning. Her shoulders slumped a little, as she leaned into her own chair, before catching his eye.

He raised his eyebrows knowingly, the move making the tiniest of smirks appear on her lips. She knew she had been caught. The slight roll of her shoulders, and twinkle in her eyes, defiantly asking him 'What of it?'.

A smile forming on his own features, he had to look away before someone caught him. They would probably think he was crazy, as the report was on the serious topic of medical research in Charon, and their findings so far. Watching the clock, Nicholas couldn't wait for the meeting to adjourn. It would be a few hours before he would see Alexandra for lunch, since their meeting had been the first of the morning, and she had two more after this.

"Thank you, Lord Fletcher, for that extremely detailed report." Alexandra's voice drew him out of his thoughts.

"I suppose we shall end here for today. The rest of the week, there will be discussions on funding new projects, and sustainability, the Lord of Ifa will also be presenting on solar energy." Lord Crawley said, dismissing them.

Standing up with the others as the young ruler left, Nicholas said his goodbye to some of the lords he had become acquainted with, before heading for the kitchen.

"Mark!" He called out, seeing the guard.

"What's up, Nick?"

"Not much, just got out of the meeting." He said, entering the kitchen together.

"Oh right. Valek was supposed to get Alex to her next meeting. I bet she's pulling her hair out..."

The guards comments had the lord snickering, he remembered how Alexandra had not looked thrilled to be sitting through such long winded presentations, that was for sure, but she managed it without so much as a scowl.

"I was going to ask you." Nicholas remembered why he had been hoping to run into the head guard.

"Yes?"

"Can I take Alexandra out to the grounds? I know she has the afternoon free...so I was wondering if we could spend some time and have lunch together?" He asked, hesitantly.

Mulling over the idea, Mark's face remained expressionless.

"Where are you hoping to take her?" He asked at last.

"By the stream?"

Having seen it so many times in his sleep, he had decided to check out the woods a day before, and found it exactly where he had dreamed it to be. It was in those same dreams, he was chasing after the girl...whom he was sure was Alexandra.

"Okay. I'll tell Valek. We'll scout the area, and keep an eye on things." Mark agreed, much to Nicholas' surprise.

"So...that's it?" He asked, shocked.

"What? Were you expecting me to forbid it?" His best friend smirked.

"Maybe."

Putting an arm around his shoulder, Nicholas was pulled to Mark's side.

"Firstly...Alex would kill me if she ever found out. Secondly...if I really wanted to stop you, I would have done it a while ago...believe me I had my chances." He grinned, making both of them laugh. "I want you two to be happy...so don't be surprised."

"Thanks Mark." Nicholas said, giving him a pat on the back.

"No problem...now how about making something to eat. I'm starving!"

...

"Where are we going?"

Walking down the path leading into the forest, Alexandra held on to Nicholas' hand tightly. He had whisked her out of the castle for lunch, when she had come down after her last meeting.

"You'll see soon enough." He said, she could hear the smile in his voice.

Blindfolded and completely dependent on her beau, Alexandra allowed her other senses to take over. No sooner did she hear the bubble of water somewhere close to them, that they had stopped. Soon enough, Nicholas untied the blindfold, allowing her eyes to adjust to the light, and take in their surroundings. He had brought her to the stream in the woods.

On the ground was a checkered blanket, with a huge basket set on top. He had made them a pic-nic lunch. Smiling, as he led her to the blanket, she couldn't believe he had done all that for her.

"What do you think?" His quiet voice interrupted her, as she took a seat and watched the glistening water.

"It all looks lovely, Nick." She said happily, looking over at the chef-turned-lord. "Thank you. This is the highlight of my day!"

"It gets better." Nicholas gave her a genuine smile, as he sat beside her.

"How so?"

Opening the basket, she watched as he began to place the food in front of them. A plate of sandwiches, garlic bread rolls, followed by a bowl of cut fruit, another of salad, and seeing the last item in the basket, Alexandra's eyes lit up.

"Chocolate cake?"

"Yes. Because I know how much you love all things sugary and made with chocolate." He grinned, setting the plate with the chocolate confection down with a flourish. For a moment it seemed like he was back, his memories intact, but Alexandra knew better.

Still she was surprised that he had managed to understand what she liked so quickly. They had only spent a little over two months together, with only a few weeks as a couple, and still he cared enough to try.

Shuffling closer to him, Alexandra moved a hand to caress his cheek, before leaning in to kiss him.

"I do love chocolate cake, but not more than you." She told him, earnestly, before kissing him again, this time more deeply. "Thank you, Nick."

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

162 32 17
What if dreams really could come true? What if fairy tales could come true? And you will become their main character? Once a girl named Aislinn had a...
482 24 59
While the kings of neighbouring countries, Kralken and Vakaaria, stir hatred within their peoples against each other, sorcerers are hunted under the...
3.2K 25 28
The never ending love of a Mother. Alana gave birth to Aurora right before and unexpected tragedy happened. Auroras fate lied in the hands of h...
1K 207 35
My name is Kalista. They call me the beast. Kalista has been cursed by a powerful sorceress and is now a prisoner in her own palace. As petals fall f...