Emerald Rain

By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Ever wonder how the events in Fire Emblems Three Houses would have unfolded if Byleth had never been offered... More

The Beginning:
Three Houses:
The Blue Lions:
The Mock Battle:
A Day of Monastery Life
Eliminating the bandits:
Garland moon:
Castle Gaspard:
The Holy Mausoleum:
The Rite of Rebirth:
The Crest of Flames:
Into the Abyss:
The Chalice of Beginnings:
Verdant Rain Moon:
Conand Tower:
Vanished:
Horsebow Moon:
The Battle of The Eagle and Lion:
Zanado Canyon:
Remire Village:
The White Heron Cup:
The Ball:
Fate:
Awakening:
The Holy Tomb:
Path of Thorns:
Reunion at Dawn:
The one-Eyed Beast:
Protecting Garreg Mach:
The Beast:
Ailell, The Valley of Torment:
The Master Tactician:
Great Tree Moon:
To Gronder Field, Part One:
To Gronder Field, Part Two:
Gronder Field, Part One:
Gronder Field, Part Two:
The Aftermath of War:
Preparing for Derdriu:
Alliance in Peril:
Protecting Derdriu:
On Trek to a New Dawn:
Rumors of a Reaper:
The Sealed Forest:
The Baron Dominic:
Strategy meeting:
Preparing for Fort Merceus:
Deception:
The Battle at Fort Merceus:
Javelin of Light:
To Garreg Mach Monastery:
Jeritza Von Hrym:
Enbarr Strategy Meeting:
A Day at the Monastery:
To Enbarr:
Enbarr the Imperial Capital:
The Fall of the Adrestrian Empire:
Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown:
A United Front:
The Dragon that Lurks in the Shadow:
Two Sides of the Same Coin:
The Church of Seiros:
The Princess of Brigid's request:
The Foreign Land and Sky
A Prince's Proposition:
Arianrhod Part One:
Arianrhod Part Two:
Love and War:
The Cool Before the Storm:
Tailtean Plains
Reclaiming Fhirdiad:
The Beginning of the End:
One Year Later:
The Return:
Those Who Slither in the Dark:
For the Freedom of Fodlan:
The End!

The Great Bridge of Myrddin:

403 10 19
By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Dimitri:

Dimitri sat at the meeting table, he felt the eyes on him from all the others who came to attend this stupid meeting, why did he even need to go. It was pointless, he just needed to kill someone, it was simple there was no need to even discuss the frivolities of how it would be done. And for Byleth and Claude to have the audacity to bring up the idea of sparing Edelgard once again, it was ridiculous.

"They wanted to see how the boar Prince would react" Glenn whispered into Dimitri's ear, "And your little tantrum was exactly what they needed to see" he hissed.

"Perhaps it's best to end the meeting here for the time being, start preparing in the meantime, on the 31st of this month we will be conquering that bridge" Claude said. Dimitri saw him look to Byleth, they seemed to be exchanging some whisper between each other, he felt a rage beginning to grow inside of him.

Glenn snorted, "Goddess you are pathetic" he said, "You yell at her, humiliate her in front of everyone, and then get jealous when she talks to another man" Glenn laughed.

Dimitri saw Byleth rose from her seat and left from the meeting room. He got up immediately to follow her, Claude and Rodrigue may have been able to stop them from arguing for the time being but it needed to happen, Byleth needs to understand that he must kill Edelgard. The dead need their tribute.

The people that were blocking the exit, parted out of the way immediately once they'd seen Dimitri standing there. He rushed past them, he made it to the hallway in time to see Byleth making her way up the stairs that led to the Archbishop's quarters. Dimitri began heading there but was stopped, someone put their hand on his shoulder, he turned around and saw that it had been Rodrigue.

Rodrigue had a look of concern on his face, he glanced over at the stairs that led up to where Byleth had gone, "Dimitri" he said in a warning tone. "I think it's best that you don't follow her, especially after the argument in there" Rodrigue said sternly.

Dimitri frowned down at him, "Byleth is being foolish, we can't work with that woman" he said.

Rodrigue shook his head, "Dimitri, you yelling at her won't change her mind" he sighed.

Dimitri crossed his arms, "Rodrigue, please Glenn, My Father, and Step- Mother yearn for Edelgard's head, I cannot ask the dead to give up their only chance for peace" Dimitri hissed, "She needs to accept it and realize that there is no other way, the dead need their justice just as much as the living do" he spat.

Rodrigue had a look of disappointment on his face, "Dimitri I have told you before, we will follow whatever you decide, but I must remind you that you are to be a king, and need to think of the betterment for the citizens of Faerghus" he said.

"So, you want me to spare that woman?" Dimitri hissed.

Rodrigue pinched the bridge of his nose, "Dimitri, all I ask is you reconsider your pursuit of revenge" he said, he looked back at the stairs, "I'll check on her" Rodrigue said, then left Dimitri alone in the hallway.

Dimitri began heading to the cathedral, once he got there, he took his place in front of the pile of rubble.

Glenn stood beside him, lately Dimitri hasn't seen much of his Father or Step- Mother. This would have been fine, but Glenn took this as an opportunity to torment Dimitri more than he already did.

"You better not even consider sparing that woman" Glenn hissed into Dimitri's ear.

Dimitri shook his head, "I won't let her live" he said, "I will give you, Father, and Step- Mother her head" he added.

Glenn narrowed his eyes at Dimitri, most likely trying to see if he could find any indication that Dimitri was hesitant about killing Edelgard in any way, after a while he finally spoke up, "Finally" Glenn said while closing his eyes, "We have been waiting for nine long years" he said. Glenn opened his eyes and looked at Dimitri, "You owe us this, don't you forget that" he said, then turned around to leave Dimitri alone at the pile of rubble to watch him from afar.

Dimitri wasn't left alone for long, the doors to the cathedral swung open and banged against the walls, then slamming shut.

"Boar, you bastard" the intruder shouted, Dimitri knew it was Felix, he didn't really care. Felix stomped over to Dimitri, "What the hell are you trying to accomplish with yelling Byleth like that" he yelled.

Dimitri slowly turned around to face Felix, "My business does not concern you" Dimitri growled.

Felix shook his head, "No it doesn't, but Byleth doesn't deserve this" he said.

Dimitri frowned at Felix, "I don't care, she means nothing to me" Dimitri said, Felix looked angry at his words.

"Tsk, you stupid boar" Felix hissed, "There might come a day when you come to your senses, and don't be surprised if she wants nothing to do with you" he spat, then shook his head "There is no point arguing with a fool who can't see reason" Felix said then turned around and left the cathedral.

Dimitri turned back around to glare at the pile of rubble, he was now consciously aware of the ring that was tucked away into his armor, he felt something inside eating him away. Was it guilt? Maybe remorse?

No, beasts don't feel either of those things.

Hilda:

Hilda had been asleep when she heard someone knocking on her room door.

"Come on Hilda, open up" the voice said, Hilda got up slowly, who ever had the audacity to wake her up was going to pay big time for it.

Once Hilda got to the door, she swung it open and saw Claude standing there, "Claude, I'm going to end you" Hilda said sternly.

Claude laughed as he walked into Hilda's room, "You won't, it requires too much time and energy to end a person such as myself" Claude said, "It requires too much work for you" he added.

Hilda frowned, "Is that so?" she hummed, "Perhaps, I ought to ask Holst to deal with you then" she said "I'm certain he would be more than willing to especially after he finds out you entered my room in the dead of night" Hilda said.

The color withdrew from Claude's face and he rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, "Jesh, you always take things so far" he said.

Hilda shook her head, "So, why did you come?" she asked.

Claude's face lit up; Hilda had a bad feeling about it. Normally when Claude's face got like that it meant that they were about to do something stupid. "I came across some interesting information recently" Claude said.

Hilda's brows furrowed, "What kind of information?" she asked, she hoped that it wasn't about her Claude had a knack for finding out personal secrets, and she was mildly afraid that it portended to her.

Claude must have been able to see her worry, "Don't worry, it's not about you this time" he said, "It has to do with a friend of ours" he added.

"Claude" Hilda groaned, "It is far too late for your ominous games, just get to the point" she said.

Claude pouted, "Your words wound me, Hilda" he said, "Anyhow, I may have solved the mystery of our beloved Byleth's birthday" he said.

Hilda's interest was now peaked, "What!?" she squeaked out, "How did you find it out!?" she questioned.

Claude smiled, "Her Father told me" he said smugly.

"So, when is it?" Hilda demanded then gasped, "Don't tell me it's soon" she said.

Claude nodded, "It is soon" he said, "The twenty second of Lone Moon" Claude said, he paused for a moment ", So we have fifteen days to prepare" he added.

Hilda frowned, "That is not nearly enough time" she sighed, "How could Byleth not tell us sooner" she groaned.

"I wouldn't blame her if I were you, it seemed that she had forgotten about it" Claude said.

Hilda's brows furrowed, "Byleth forgot her birthday!?" she shouted "I swear, me and that child need to have a serious chat" she sighed. "how the hell can a person even forget their own birthday" Hilda questioned.

Claude shrugged, "Well she has been asleep for five years" he said, "And on top of that she does a lot around here" he added, then paused for a moment "Although Jeralt made it seem as if it's a normal thing for her to forget her birthday" he said. "Maybe it has to do with her formerly being a mercenary" Claude suggested.

Hilda sighed, "Maybe... but still" she said, "I think we should throw a lavish party to celebrate" she said.

Claude shook his head, "I don't think Byleth would like that" he said, "Plus, we don't really have funds to spare" Claude added.

"Ugh, this sucks" Hilda declared, "Let's make her a cake" she said, Claude looked as if her were about to protest for a moment. "Let me clarify" Hilda said, "I will find another person, and sway them to bake cake" she said, "Perhaps Annette or Mercedes" she added.

Claude nodded, "Sounds like a plan, well I leave you to getting everything in order, and managing our underlings then" he said, while exiting from Hilda's room "Have a good night" Claude said then left from view.

Hilda shut her door.

She sat down at her desk and began running ideas in her mind on how best to celebrate Byleth's birthday.

One thing she knew for certain was that Claude was right. Byleth wouldn't want a large extravagant party, and like Claude had pointed out they really couldn't spare the funds to do so either. However, there was one thing Hilda knew for certain, and that was they were going to celebrate whether Byleth liked it or not. Based off what Byleth had confided to Hilda, about the possibility of her demise once Rhea is dead, there was a good chance that Byleth might not live to her next birthday. So, they'll be damned if they didn't at least celebrate this one.

Hilda got up from her desk chair and went to lay down on her bed. Jesh, party planning was hard, and so far, she had zero ideas on what to do, maybe she should just try to get someone else to plan it? Hilda thought before she fell asleep.

Hilda got up the next morning a bit later than she anticipated on, she made a mental note to beat up Claude for causing her to lose sleep. She got dressed for the day then made her way to the dining hall. Once in there she saw Byleth sitting at one of the dining tables with Felix, Hilda got her food then went to go and join them. As she sat down at the table, she heard a part of what Felix had been telling Byleth, "It was incredible, I got to see her sword technique again" Felix said.

"Who's sword technique?" Hilda questioned as she sat down.

Byleth nodded at Hilda, acknowledging her, "Bernadetta's" she responded then turned back to Felix, "So, how do you do it then?" she asked excitedly.

Felix nodded, "For just a moment, you flail your limbs like a wild creature" he said, "You should ask Bernadetta to demonstrate it for you, it is most impressive" he added. Hilda could have sworn that she saw blush creep onto Felix's face, she nearly choked on her food. She made a silent vow to get them together as well.

"How did you even get to see her do it?" Byleth questioned.

"She was surrounded by enemies and managed to disarm them with her blade" Felix enthused.

Byleth frowned, "Felix, I hope you didn't intentionally let Bernadetta in harm's way to see her technique" she sighed, "I put her and Linhardt with you so you would be able to give me an evaluation on their training" she added while shaking her head.

"Hey! I didn't intentionally let her go into harm's way" Felix said, "She did that on her own, I went to help her, and I just so happened to witness the technique while doing so" he added.

Byleth laughed, "Sure you did Felix" she teased, "So how did they fight?" she asked, "Do you think they'll be able to fight if needed with conquering the bridge?" she added.

Felix nodded, "Yes, they fought fine" he said "I don't think they will have any issues" he added.

Byleth let out a sigh of relief, then turned to Hilda, "You have been awfully quiet" she said while narrowing her eyes, "How did Caspar fair on the battlefield?" Byleth asked since she had paired the two of them together to defend the fortress part of Gloucester territory in their last battle.

"He fought well" Hilda said, "I didn't have to do any work at all!" she exclaimed "It was amazing" she added.

Byleth made a face at Hilda, "Hilda, you need to fight as well" Byleth said, "I guess we'll just have to train hard today to make up for yesterday" she hummed.

"What! That's not fair" Hilda groaned, Byleth just shrugged. Hilda sighed, "Fine" she said, "But I have a question of my own" she said, "Did you really forget your own birthday?" she asked.

Byleth's face turned a light shade of red, "I have a lot on my plate at the moment, and it slipped my mind" she said defensively.

Felix laughed, "You forgot your birthday?" he said, he turned to Hilda "When is it?" he asked.

"The twenty second of this moon" Hilda replied.

Felix nodded, "I'll be sure to tell the other's" he said, "I'm certain that Annette, Ashe, and Mercedes will be slightly upset that they weren't informed sooner" he said teasingly to Byleth.

Byleth stood up from the table, "I'm beating up Claude" she declared.

Hilda laughed, "Throw in a punch for me" she said, "That will show him for waking me up in the middle of the night" she added.

Byleth nodded "Will do" she said then left from the dining room, Hilda hoped that her pursuit to beat up Claude would be fruitful.

Hilda then turned to Felix, "I was thinking of getting Annette and Mercedes on board to help bake Byleth a cake" she said, "What do you think?" she asked.

Felix shook his head, "Not Annette" he said "Get Ashe and Mercedes instead" he added.

Hilda's brows furrowed, "Why not Annette?" she asked.

Felix laughed, "Don't get me wrong, Annette is many things" he said "But a baker is not one of them" he added. "I can't tell you how many times there have been fires in the kitchen that were her doing" Felix said.

Hilda nodded, "Ok, so maybe not Annette then" she said with a laugh.

"It's for the best" Felix said knowingly.

Byleth:

The weeks till Byleth's birthday passed by, and she never did follow up on her threat to beat up Claude. It was horribly frustrating to attempt to figure out what the hell Hilda was planning, every time they were together she had this smile on her face that was unsettling, and once she got her former Blue Lion classmates on board they began to imitate the facial expression that Hilda had been making.

The day that the news of her birthday spread through the monastery, Byleth confronted her Father to find out why the hell he had even told Claude in the first place. Jeralt merely laughed at her pain, giving some excuse that he had accidentally let it slip. But Byleth knew better, that man had done it with the intention of messing with her. She made a mental note to begin tipping off Leonie about his whereabouts for now on if she couldn't have peace neither could he.

Byleth was lounging around in her bed, it was the twenty- first of Lone Moon. The eve of her birthday, she didn't want to leave and see how much worse the others will be today. Byleth sighed and sat up, she slowly made her way out of bed and got dressed. Once finished she began making her way to the training grounds, she needed to be in tip top shape for the battle to conquer the Great Bridge of Myrddin.

Byleth was a little afraid for it, this would begin their first step on Imperial territory towards Edelgard.

Towards Dimitri removing Edelgard's head from her shoulder, Byleth thought. She shook her head.

No.

Byleth couldn't let that happen.

There had to be a way for their ideals to coexist. Although, Dimitri's revenge didn't leave much room for Edelgard to coexist now did it especially since it entailed for her death. Byleth longed for the simpler times of their academy days, although... they probably weren't any better than they are now. The only difference is that Dimitri wasn't unhinged completely and Edelgard hadn't declared war on the Church of Seiros, well not yet at least.

Byleth entered the training grounds she looked and saw that the only other person in there aside from herself was Holst. He paused from swinging at the training dummy and looked over at Byleth probably to see who the person was to enter the room.

"Byleth" Holst said out of breath from his training with the dummy.

Byleth pointed at it, "Tough opponent?" she teased.

Holst laughed, "Yes, no matter how much I fight them, they never seem to relent" he said, he paused for a moment "Hilda told me that tomorrow is your birthday" he said, "Feeling excited?" Holst asked.

Byleth shook her head, "Goddess no" she said, "Hilda has had this scheming look on her face since she found out" she sighed "I'm mildly concerned about what they are planning" she added.

Holst shrugged, "I wouldn't be" he said "The war going on hinders Hilda's party planning abilities" he added.

Byleth let out a sigh of relief, "Thank goodness" she said.

Holst smiled, "So how old are you turning?" he asked.

Byleth sighed, "I'm not too sure" she said.

Holst furrowed his brow, "Don't tell me you forgot your age" he said with shock.

Byleth shook her head, "No, that's not it" she said "I just don't know whether I am turning twenty- five or twenty one" she said, "The five years that I was asleep, do they still count as aging for me?" Byleth asked Holst.

Holst was silent for a moment, "I think that is for you to decide" he said, Byleth nodded. "But twenty- five?" he said "Jesh you're an old maid" he teased. (Old maid, is an old woman who has never married, and is unlikely to marry)

Byleth's face grew hot, "Hey" Byleth said, "You're older than me, aren't you like almost thirty already?" she added, "You aren't married either" she stated.

Holst shrugged, "I would have been if someone had said yes" he teased.

Byleth shook her head, the memories of that night came flooding back to her. That was the night that Dimitri had confessed his love and kissed Byleth after the Battle of the Eagle and Lion, she looked down "I wasn't ready for marriage" she lied to Holst, then sighed. "I don't think I will ever be" Byleth added.

Holst nodded, he looked a little disappointed, but he didn't comment on it, "I understand" he sighed. They stood in silence for a moment, "So, would you like to spar with me?" Holst asked trying to break the uncomfortable tension that had formed.

Byleth smiled at Holst, "Are you sure you wouldn't rather spar with him over there?" she said pointing back at the dummy.

Holst shook his head laughing, "No, he's far too much of a difficult opponent for me to handle" he said.

Byleth nodded, "Alright, then let's spar" she said and went to the training rack to grab a training sword.

After Byleth and Holst finished sparring, Byleth left from the training grounds to go to the dining hall. In there she saw Claude and Hilda, sitting at one of the dining tables.

Byleth attempted to go by unnoticed, but she failed miserably, "Hey Byleth" Claude called out while beckoning her to them, "Come join us" he added.

Byleth nodded, she went to the lunch line first then once she had her food Byleth went to join Claude and Hilda.

"Well, well, well" Hilda began as Byleth sat down at the table with them, "Look who finally decides to join us" she added.

"Yeah, took you long enough" Claude butted in, "Where were you anyways?" he asked.

Byleth shook her head, "I was training" she said, "You know, like what you two should be doing since we will have to fight Imperial forces at the Great Bridge of Myrddin, in about nine days" she added.

"Hey! We have been training!" Hilda said defensively.

Claude let out a laugh, "Not even I believe that Hilda" he said.

Hilda rolled her eyes, "Whatever" she sighed, then turned towards Byleth "So, tomorrow is the big day" she said

Byleth sighed, "Please, Hilda I don't want it to be a big deal" she said "Just treat it as if it's any other day" she added.

"Ugh" Hilda groaned "You're no fun" she said, "But if you are really set on it, we won't do something big" she added.

Byleth let out a sigh of relief, "Oh thank goodness" she said.

Hilda laughed, "We still need to celebrate thought" she said "Think of it as something to boost the morale of everyone" she added, "Tensions have been especially high since our last strategy meeting, where you and Dimitri got into that argument" Hilda said.

Byleth hung her head down, "I know" she said.

Claude's brows furrowed, "There's no use dwelling on it anymore" he said, "We just have to move forward, with or without the Kingdoms help" he added.

Byleth nodded, "Thanks Claude" she said softly, "But, Hilda is right" she said "Dimitri and I arguing like that did impact our morale" she sighed, "Plus it would be best to have assistance from the Kingdom" she added.

"It would, but we can't force them to help us" Claude said then paused for a moment "Either way we should be receiving more enforcement once the bridge is conquered" he said, "It's not like they are our only option" Claude added.

Hilda nodded, "True, then we have the whole military of the Alliance to our disposal" she said.

"Yup" Claude said he paused thinking something over, "I've been meaning to talk something over with you both" he said, "Do you remember how when we were in Ailell, we had House Rowe lying in wait for us" he stated. Both Byleth and Hilda nodded in union, "I have a feeling that there might be a spy withing our army, and I was thinking we should pay a visit to Yuri in the Abyss for help" Claude said, He looked to Byleth "I think we may have vaguely talked about this before" he added.

Byleth nodded, "Yeah, you told me about it the night I came back from imperial territory" she said, "So shall we head to the Abyss now then?" she asked.

Claude smiled, "You know just what to say," he said, "Come on then, let's not waste any time" Claude said as he stood up from the table.

Hilda groaned, "Man you just had to encourage him" she sighed as she got up from her seat and followed Claude towards the exit of the dining hall. Byleth got up and followed them, and the three of them began heading into the Abyss.

Claude:

It had been a while since they had been in the Abyss, Claude had always meant to go back to pick back up where he left off on the texts that he had found in the library there but during the time being the Golden Deer's house leader had kept him busy.

"Jesh, this place hasn't changed on bit" Hilda said, as they were walking deeper into the Abyss, "Don't these people know how to clean up after themselves" she added.

Claude let out a laugh, "Hilda, I don't think that they care all that much" he said.

Hilda shook her head, "It wouldn't hurt if they did" she said.

"Hilda, we can't say much on that topic right now" Byleth said "The monastery isn't looking to hot at the moment" she added.

Hilda shrugged, "I guess you're right" she said.

They continued walking down the cobblestone path that led further and further into the Abyss, until they reached the part that opened into the city like place that was the Abyss.

"What are you three doing here?" said a guard that was managing the entrance into the Abyss.

"We are here to see Yuri" Claude said.

The guard shook his head, "No, you can't just barge in her and demand to see the boss" he said, "If Boss wants to talk to you, he'll go to you" he laughed "For now scram" he added.

Hilda frowned, "Hey, we came all the way down here to see Yuri" she stated "The least you can do is go and see if he'll talk with us" she added sternly.

The guard frowned at them, "I have orders to follow" he said, "I cannot let just anyone in" he added

Hilda laughed, "We are not just anyone" she said seriously, "I'm an Alliance noble" she said then pointed to Claude, "He's the leader of the Alliance" she added. Then pointed at Byleth, "And she yields the sword of the creator" Hilda said, she was about to keep talking but was cut off.

"Listen" The guard said seriously, "I don't care who you people are, I'm not letting you in" he said, "Now if you don't leave, I will make you leave" he added.

Hilda laughed, "I'd like to see you try" she said.

"Hey what's going on here?!" a loud voice boomed, "Hilda?! Is that you?" it asked.

Hilda let out a gasp, "BALTIE?!" she shouted, "You're still living down here?" she added questioningly.

Balthus laughed, "Duh. Why would I leave this place" he said, then turned to the guard "Hey these three are good to come on through" he said.

The guard nodded, "Of course, Balthus" he said quickly.

Balthus guided them through the entrance of the Abyss, "So, what brings you three here?" he asked.

"We came to see Yuri" Claude said.

Balthus nodded, "Makes sense" he said, "Took you long enough" he added. "We were beginning to think that you weren't going to ask us to join you guys at all" Balthus said.

Claude was a bit shocked; he didn't think that the people of the Abyss would have been interested in a war that didn't really affect them. "I'm surprised you guys want to help" he said, then paused for a moment "Why is that?" Claude asked.

Balthus shrugged, "My reasoning is purely to fight" he said, "Yuri's is for more obvious reasons, like being on good graces with someone who has enough power and influence to start a war" he added.

Claude nodded, "Those are valid reasons" he said, "Alright, can we talk with Yuri then?" he asked, "We need his help with finding a potential rat amongst our army" he added.

"Yeah, I'll take you three right to him" Balthus said while nodding, "Things like that are right up Yuri's ally" he said while Balthus began leading them to Yuri.

Balthus led them through the city like area of the Abyss into theses passages that led to the Ashen Wolves classroom. Claude was a bit happy that he wasn't the only one who had thought to use the classrooms as an office.

As they walked into the classroom Yuri turned to face him, alongside him, were the other two women from the last time they were here. Constance and Hapi. "Well, well, well" Yuri said "Look who finally decided to pay us a visit" he said.

Claude nodded, "It's good to see you too, Yuri" he said.

"Let's cut out the pleasantries Claude" Yuri said, "I take you three are here for a reason" he added. Yuri paused for a moment, "Now what reason might that be?" he asked.

"We believe that there is a spy amongst us" Byleth said.

Yuri nodded, "Hmm I see" he said "That is quite problematic" he sighed, "I suppose we can handle it" Yuri added with a wink.

Claude shifted around for a moment, he wanted their help, no he needed it. But... he couldn't ignore that it was peculiar for him to get involved, despite what Balthus had said earlier. Claude looked to Yuri, "So, why are you so keen to help us?" Claude questioned.

Yuri let out a laugh, "That is a good question" he said, "Do you have any idea what is going on around us?" he asked.

"Um a war?" Hilda said with uncertainty.

Yuri nodded, "While that is true" he began, "That's not quite what I meant" he said. "All around us the tides are changing" Yuri said, "Nothing will remain untouched by it" he said, "The four major fronts, the Alliance, the Empire, Faerghus, and the Church of Seiros are all fighting and the victor of it will be determining the future for all of us" he added. "And I for one want in on that" Yuri said.

Claude nodded; Yuri was right. After this war nothing was going to be the same, the victor will have a completely different Fodlan than the one they have been living in. "Huh, so you have faith that the Alliance is going to win" Claude said, "I'm flattered" he said "But isn't that putting all your eggs in one basket?" he added.

Yuri laughed and shook his head, "Yeah no offense Claude but I wasn't putting my faith in you and the Alliance" he said, the paused for a moment. "I'm putting all my eggs in her basket" Yuri said while gesturing towards Byleth, "I have heard what your plans are Byleth" he said while stepping towards her. "You want to unite everyone, and knock out a repressive government" Yuri said, "That is the best plan for Fodlan" he added. Claude looked at Byleth, she looked a little dazed by what Yuri had just told her. "So, don't let me down" Yuri said with a laugh, "For now on you'll have our assistance" he added.

Byleth nodded, "Thank you Yuri" she said, "I will do my best, I promise" Byleth added.

"Yeah, and if it's not good enough we'll only die" Hapi butted in, "No big deal" she added.

"Hapi!" Constance shouted, "Don't say such things!" she scolded, "I have confidence we shall succeed" she said "And afterwards, my contribution to the war effort will help restore my fallen house" Constance added excitedly.

Hapi shook her head, "I only meant it as a joke" she said, "Eh- I suppose their worse sides to be on" she added.

"That's the spirit Hapi!" Balthus shouted, "I'm pumped we're finally going to be fighting in this war" he said excitedly.

Hilda shook her head and sighed, "Oh Baltie" she said then paused for a moment, "Hey I don't know if you know but Holst has been with us at the monastery" Hilda said.

Balthus's eyes grew wide, "What!" he said "No way, dang now I have to go pay him a visit I suppose" he added.

Hilda nodded, "Yeah, you definitely should, Holst will be happy to see you again" she added then paused for a moment. By the looks of it Hilda hatched an idea. "Hey all of you should come to the surface tomorrow" Hilda said, Claude saw Byleth tense up, "We're going to celebrate Byleth's birthday" she added.

Byleth let out a sigh, "Hilda you said you wouldn't make it a big deal" Byleth said.

Hilda shook her head, "I know, I know" she said, "But I also told you we were still going to celebrate" she concluded.

Yuri let out a laugh and nodded, "Oh we'll be there" he said, "It'll be the perfect opportunity to find the rat" he added.

Claude had to admit that was a smart idea, especially since it would be when people are most distracted. And once distracted enough, secrets would start to spill. Yes, getting Yuri's help was an excellent idea. Claude nodded, "Sounds good, well see you there tomorrow" he said, then turned to Byleth and Hilda "What do you ladies say about heading back now?" Claude asked.

Byleth and Hilda both nodded, "Yes, this has been so much effort" Hilda whined.

Claude laughed, "Alright then, let's get going" he said, and the three of them began to leave the Abyss.

By the time that Byleth, Claude, and Hilda made it to the surface of the monastery it was already late at night. "Dang, looks like we wasted the day" Claude said, "We'll I'll see you both tomorrow, I have something I need to do" he added.

"Yeah, yeah whatever see you tomorrow" Hilda said as she walked away.

Byleth nodded, "Have a good night" she said as she also turned to leave and began heading in the direction of all the dorm.

Claude turned to leave as well, he had something that he needed to do in the greenhouse. So, he made his way there to collect some flowers that he had been growing.

Byleth:

After Byleth had come back from accompanying Claude and Hilda into the Abyss, she went straight to her room for the evening. She was thinking over what Yuri had said about her, Byleth wondered how he could have that much faith in her being successful with uniting the three lords together. In all honesty, Byleth wasn't even sure if she could do it, but... She wouldn't be able to live with herself if she knew she didn't even try to get them to work with one another.

Byleth laid down on her bed and stared at the ceiling, and slowly drifted off to sleep.

"WAKE UP" a voice shouted, Byleth's eyes shot open. There was a figure standing over her, she jumped out of bed and reached for her dagger. "Byleth- wait put it down, it's me Hilda".

Byleth turned back around and saw that it was in fact Hilda, and a nervous looking Ashe by the entrance of her room. "Sorry to wake you Byleth" Ashe began "Hilda wanted to ensure that you don't try to escape from us today" he added.

Byleth shook her head, "You two could have knocked" she sighed.

Hilda laughed, "And give you the opportunity to run off?" she said, "I think not" Hilda added with a laugh.

Ashe shrugged his shoulders, "Drastic times call for drastic measures, I suppose" he said with uncertainty.

"Hilda did you force Ashe to help you" Byleth questioned.

Ashe shook his head, "No she didn't, I choose to help her on my own volition" he said quickly.

Hilda laughed, "See, I didn't force Ashe to do anything" she said.

Byleth sighed, "Yeah, ok sure" she said, "I don't buy that but ok". Byleth paused for a moment, finally registering something in her head, "Hey how did you two even get in here" Byleth asked, "I know for certain I locked my room door" she added.

Ashe's face turned bright red, "I'm so sorry Byleth" he said quickly "I picked the lock so we could come in" he added.

Byleth shook her head, "Hilda stop corrupting poor sweet innocent Ashe" she said sternly.

"He wanted to help" Hilda said defensively, "Anyways we are digressing from the main point" she said, "Today is your birthday" Hilda stated, "I came to help you get ready" she added.

"Hilda, I can get ready on my own perfectly fine" Byleth said.

Hilda shook her head, "Nope, today I'm helping you" Hilda said, Byleth had a feeling that it wasn't even up for debate.

Byleth sighed, "Fine" she said.

Hilda let out a high pitched squeal, "Awesome!" she said happily "I thought I was going to have to drag you to my room, in order to get you ready" she added with a laugh.

"Ha- as if" Byleth said with a laugh, "I can't even get you to train with me" she said "Carrying me would require way more effort than that" she added.

Hilda shrugged, "I am willing to do work for this" Hilda said.

Byleth was mildly touched by that, "Thank you Hilda" she said, "Come on then" she sighed "Let's go get ready" Byleth added.

Hilda nodded, and Ashe, Byleth, and Hilda left from Byleth's room. Outside of the room Hilda turned to Ashe, "We'll see you guys once we are done getting ready" Hilda said.

Ashe nodded, "Ok sounds good, we'll start preparing in the meantime" he said.

Hilda nodded, and grabbed onto Byleth's wrist, "Come on now, we have to get you ready" Hilda said.

Once Byleth and Hilda were in Hilda's room she began immediate with getting Byleth ready. Hilda started with her make up first. Every few minutes Mercedes would stick her head in and coo over how Byleth was looking. "Since, we will be interacting with a lot of people today, it's best to go with a natural look" Hilda said as she was putting on her makeup. Once finished with it she began combing through Byleth's hair, "To bad we don't have time to curl it" she sighed, "I should of thought about that last night" she added. Hilda eventually settled on two small braids from the front of her hair that met in the back and tied together.

Byleth was a bit surprised that Hilda had even been able to do any sort of hair style on her since her hair was now shorter, she supposed it must not be that short then. Mercedes's hair was a bit shorter than hers, was she able to do things with it? Byleth made a mental note to ask her later.

"Well" Hilda said breaking Byleth's train of thought, she handed her a mirror, "What do you think" she asked.

Byleth looked in the mirror, Hilda had done an excellent job with her appearance, "Thank you Hilda" Byleth said.

Hilda nodded, "Anytime" she said then began walking to her dresser. Hilda pulled out a long white dress from there, "Here put this on" she said, then began rummaging for something under her bed.

The dress was long, and it fell off at the shoulders, and had long flowing sleeves. "Why can't I wear my regular clothes?" Byleth questioned.

"Because" Hilda grunted then pulled out a pair of flats, "You wear armor, and today is a special occasion" she said, then thrust the flats into Byleth's hands. "Now change or I will change you" Hilda threatened.

Byleth slid out of her black shorts and black shirt, then put on the white dress and flats. "How do I look?" Byleth asked then turned to Hilda.

Hilda let out a squeal, "You look so cute!" she enthused, "I feel like I'm marrying you off" she said with a laugh, Byleth grimaced a bit at that joke. "Come on let's get going now" Hilda said.

As soon as Byleth and Hilda exited Hilda's room they were stopped by Mercedes "Sorry we aren't ready for you two yet" Mercedes said, she paused for a moment, "How about the three of us take a walk to the cathedral" she said, "That should give everyone enough time to finish up there" she added. Byleth, Hilda, and Mercedes began heading tow the cathedral, "Oh we should pay Dimitri a visit while we are there" Mercedes said happily.

Byleth tensed a bit when Mercedes said that, Hilda looked at her and had a look of concern, "Maybe we shouldn't" Hilda said, "Dimitri doesn't like to be bothered" she added.

A flash of realization fell over Mercedes's face, "Oh dear, I'm sorry Byleth" Mercedes said, "I just assumed that you and Dimitri had made up since what had happened at the war meeting" she said.

"It's fine" Byleth said.

Mercedes was studying Byleth for a moment then looked back in front of her as they walked, "I think if anyone could help bring back Dimitri, it's you" Mercedes said, "Back in our monastery days he held so much admiration and respect for you" she said, "Although I considered it to be more of crush on you" she added with a laugh.

Byleth's face grew a little red once she realized that her classmates may have been aware of Dimitri's and Byleth's mutual pinning for one another at the time. Goddess what if they knew the full extent of their relationship, she looked at Mercedes she had a sweet innocent smile on her face, if she knew anything about them she was doing one hell of a good job at hiding it. "I see" Byleth finally said.

Mercedes smile faltered for a moment, "Please don't give up on Dimitri" she said, "There are very few who haven't" she added.

Byleth nodded, she didn't say anything. If she said yes, she would help Dimitri right now, but later when she died, then what? He would find a way to blame himself and possibly spiral out of control again. No, Byleth know she can't help him someone else has to. It's better this way.

They arrived at the cathedral, and luckily there was no Dimitri to be seen. Mercedes frowned a little once she realized that he wasn't there, "I guess Dimitri wanted a change of scenery" she sighed.

Byleth looked around at the fallen cathedral, she felt a bit ashamed by its state. She wondered if it would upset Sothis seeing it like this, "Mercedes" Byleth said softly and Mercedes turned to her. "I hope it's not to personal" Byleth began "But what do you pray about" she asked.

Mercedes smiled at Byleth, "That isn't personal" she said "I like to pray for the people I know, our soldiers, and those who have fallen during this war" Mercedes said. She paused for a moment to make eye contact with Byleth, "Not everyone prays for the same thing" he said, "Some for power and wealth, others for forgiveness" she added. "What you pray for if you decide to pray is entirely up to you" Mercedes said.

Byleth nodded, "Thank you Mercedes" she said, "I appreciate your words" she added.

Mercedes clasped Byleth's hands within her own, "no problem, Byleth" she said happily, "Now, we should go and reunite with the others" she said, "I'm certain they are done by now" Mercedes added.

"Yes! Finally, the grand event of the evening" Hilda said excitedly, Mercedes giggled and released Byleth's hands.

"Alright then, follow me" Mercedes said, and began leading to wherever it was that the rest of their friends were.

Mercedes led them to the outdoor garden area outside of the dining hall, where tea parties were primarily held. Mercedes ran ahead of them in there, most likely to give them warning that Byleth was coming.

Byleth and Hilda stopped at the gate that led into the garden, "Feeling nervous?" Hilda asked.

Byleth nodded, "A little" she said, "I don't really know what I'm supposed to do at a birthday party" she confessed.

Hilda laughed, "You dope" she said, "You just need to have fun" she added. "Now come on and go in already" Hilda said.

Byleth sighed and walked through the gate. As she did a union of voices shouted happy birthday at her, Byleth had to admit she hadn't been expecting that. She looked around and saw that the garden area was lightly decorated with streamers possibly at Byleth's request at not to overdo it.

"Well what do you think" Hilda said as she came walking up beside her, "Aww you're enjoying it aren't you look you have a big grin on your face" she teased.

Byleth hadn't even noticed that she was smiling, she nodded "Yes, I'm enjoying this" Byleth confessed, "Thank you Hilda" she said then turned to the large group of their friends that had gathered "Thank you all"

"It was no problem" Mercedes aid with a smile.

"Yeah! This was so much fun to do, no worries Byleth" Annette said happily

"Agreed" Ashe said with a laugh.

"Does this mean we can eat the food now?" Raphael butted in.

Claude came up besides Byleth and grabbed her wrist, "Come on, you have to try the cake that Ashe, Dedue, and Mercedes made" Claude said excitedly as he whisked Byleth through the crowd of people waiting to wish Byleth a happy Birthday.

Dimitri:

Dimitri had heard the whispers that had been plaguing the halls of the monastery for weeks, he just chose to ignore them, he couldn't care less that Byleth was ageing all that meant was you were one step closer to dying and as far as he was concerned she wasn't allowed to die.

Well not yet at least.

Not until he has Edelgard's head.

It was the day before Byleth's birthday that someone had interrupted Dimitri's trance in the cathedral, "What do you want" Dimitri shouted then turned around to meet the assailant.

Rodrigue.

"Your Highness" Rodrigue said, "Sorry to intrude" he said, "But I have recently caught wind that there is going to be a birthday celebration tomorrow for one of your friends" he added.

"I have no friends" Dimitri said coolly.

Rodrigue shook his head, "That is not true your Highness" he said, "Which is why you must go to the celebration tomorrow" he declared.

Dimitri let out a dry laugh, "I don't have time for your lark" he spat, "Those fools shouldn't be wasting their time doing such trivial things" he hissed "We are in the middle of a war, how can we celebrate while the dead have yet to have their restitution" Dimitri growled.

"Dimitri, calm down" Rodrigue said, "It is important that you attend" he added.

Dimitri glared at Rodrigue, "And why is that" he said mockingly.

Rodrigue sighed, "We need to show our soldiers that the Kingdom and the Alliance aren't as divided on our ideals as we seem" he said sternly, "And the only way to do that is by going and appearing friendly with Byleth and Claude, or at least not screaming at them in our meetings" he added.

Dimitri hated to admit it but Rodrigue was right, if it spread that they were having these conflicts they might lose the support that would came from the heads of the Alliance once the Great Bridge of Myrddin was conquered. "Fine" Dimitri hissed, "I'll go to it" he added.

Rodrigue smiled at him, "Excellent Dimitri, I knew you would make the right choice" he said, Dimitri didn't really believe him when he said that but for the time being he chose to ignore it since it would mean Rodrigue leaving him alone faster. "Please be sure to bathe before going to the party, it wouldn't do you any good to go caked in mud and dried blood" he added. Dimitri just grunted, and Rodrigue sighed "Have a good night your Highness" he said then turned around and left from the cathedral.

"Hmph, Felix must be right about our Father being senile" Glenn hissed, "I don't understand why he insists on trying to turn you into a king" he said "Your nothing but a beast" Glenn laughed.

Dimitri turned back around to the rubble; he didn't respond to Glenn's comments. Glenn was right of course Dimitri didn't have the right to be king, he probably wouldn't even live long enough to be king. The Blaiddyd bloodline will die with him.

Dimitri is sure of it.

(The next day)

Dimitri spent the morning staring at the pile of rubble and giving promises of Edelgard's head to the dead, well at least until he was disturbed by Rodrigue once again.

"Dimitri did you bathe?" Rodrigue questioned, he knew the answer he just wanted Dimitri to say it to further soil his image. Rodrigue sighed, "Come on Dimitri, you need to bathe" he said, "Follow me" he added.

Dimitri grunted at Rodrigue but at least he complied and followed him to the bathe house, once there Rodrigue pushed Dimitri inside and stood outside of the door.

Once Dimitri had finished bathing, he came out of the bathe house to Rodrigue, "Ah I see you are all done" Rodrigue said happily, Dimitri nodded. "Excellent" Rodrigue enthused "Come on now let's do something about that unruly mane of yours" he said with a laugh and began heading in the direction of the dorms.

Eventually they stopped right outside of Dimitri's old quarters. "Why are we here?" Dimitri hissed.

Rodrigue shook his head, "Dimitri, I told you, you need to do something about your hair" he sighed, "Now go on in, I'm certain the celebration has already begun" Rodrigue added.

Dimitri entered his old quarters; it was unsettling to him. He counted his former self another casualty to this war, to that wrenched woman. Dimitri sat at his former desk and began running his fingers through his hair, a man as depraved as he didn't deserve to use even something as simple as a brush.

Brushing his hair with only his fingers proved to be far more laboring that Dimitri had anticipated, at every turn there were knots, and twigs tangled into his hair.

Eventually Dimitri allowed himself to use the brush, he didn't want to tear through his hair with his fingers once again it took too long, and Dimitri wanted this to be done with quickly. Once finished Dimitri sat there with his now brushed hair, now that it was untangled a surprisingly large amount of it fell in the front of his face, he searched his desk until he found a string of some sort and tied back his hair so that only a bit of it was now covering his face.

Dimitri exited from his room and turned to Rodrigue, "I'm finished now let's get this over with" Dimitri hissed.

Rodrigue nodded, "That's the spirit Dimitri", he looked at Dimitri observing his now (attempted) styled hair, "Is there someone at this celebration you are hoping to impress?" Rodrigue teased.

Dimitri frowned, "Beast's need not to impress people" he scoffed.

"No, they don't, but kings do" Rodrigue rebutted.

"I'm no king" Dimitri spat.

Rodrigue shook his head, "Nor are you a beast" he said.

Dimitri's frown deepened, "You don't know what you are talking about" he hissed.

Rodrigue sighed, "We'll discuss this later" he said "For the time being, don't scream at people" he added, then walked through the gates of the garden, and Dimitri followed right after him.

In the garden were a mix of the main Alliance soldiers and the Kingdom ones, and to Dimitri's surprise there were also people from the Abyss. Most people stared at him, unsure if he came to scream at them by the looks of it but they would quickly turn their gazes away not wanting to get caught starting at the boar Prince. All of them did, except one.

Felix.

Dimitri turned his gaze to him and held eye contact, there was a look of warning in Felix's eyes, telling Dimitri that if he tried anything tonight Felix would be handling him personally.

Dimitri looked away and made his way to a vacant table and decided this is where he will spend the evening.

He had hoped that it would be alone, but that plan was crushed to pieces when the most obnoxious red head he's met came to his table.

"Your Highness" Sylvain said happily, "I didn't think you would come" he said "Did Rodrigue force you?" he asked with a laugh. Dimitri knew why Sylvain was here he was hoping that there was a small piece of the former Dimitri that remained. There wasn't.

"Go away Sylvain" Dimitri growled quietly, as per Rodrigue's request not to shout at people.

Sylvain ignored Dimitri's comment and sat down at the table with Dimitri, "So how have you been your Highness?" Sylvain asked casually.

Dimitri was a bit taken aback by how little Sylvain cared about Dimitri being menacing towards him, most people with half a brain cell would have scattered by now. But not Sylvain. "Go dance with the women" Dimitri said with a frown.

Sylvain shook his head, "Nah, I'm all danced out" he said "Plus I want to stay here with you he added. He paused for a moment, "And also I'm waiting to get a turn to dance with Byleth" Sylvain said excitedly, "You should see how Hilda got her dressed up to day, she looks gorgeous" he added.

Dimitri frowned, "Shut up" he spat.

A hurt expression fell over Sylvain's face momentarily but was quickly concealed with one of his smiles, "I take you are still mad about what happened at the meeting?" Sylvain questioned

Dimitri grunted, "I couldn't care less" he said.

Sylvain frowned a little, "Don't say that" he began to say but his attention was diverted elsewhere.

"Look at those two dancing!" a woman at the table next to him exclaimed loudly.

"Aww, it looks as if Byleth and Claude just got married" the second woman said, "See! I told you all those years ago that those two will, I am certain my prediction is going to be right" the woman said.

Dimitri turned to see what they were talking about, and surly enough there Byleth was dancing with Claude, in the garden. There were others dancing around them but it was hard for a man who wares yellow, and a woman in all white not to have the spotlight, he turned a bit more to look at the women who were making those comments.

Hilda and Lysithea.

Hilda looked up at a staring Dimitri, she shook her head, "Nah, I don't think so" she said, "Knowing Byleth she won't marry at all" she said, her gaze didn't falter from Dimitri's as she said that.

Dimitri turned back around, to be faced with a concerned looking Sylvain, "Are you alright?" he asked.

Dimitri frowned, "I told you before that I couldn't care less about her" he spat, he felt the urge to vomit as he said those words with such an intense malice.

Sylvain sighed, "Dimitri, it's alright to feel jealous" he said, "It's a normal feeling, everyone gets it" he added.

Dimitri let out a dry laugh, "Don't you get it by now Sylvain, I'm not like you or the rest of the people here" Dimitri hissed, "I'm a monster" he spat.

Sylvain shook his head, "Dimitri, this war has left no one unscathed" he sighed, "The things you have done that make you consider yourself a monster, are not your own doing it is merely because it's what had to be done" Sylvain said, "Just because your actions are boarish, doesn't mean that you are" he added.

Dimitri looked away from Sylvain's gaze. He didn't deserve it, none of it, not the pity or acceptance that Sylvain was laying out for him. Dimitri would just drag Sylvain down with him, Dimitri shook his head "No you're wrong" Dimitri hissed.

Sylvain let out a deep sigh, "I can't force you to change your own self-perception Dimitri" he said, "But know that we are all here for you whenever you decide you are one of us" he added.

Dimitri didn't respond to it, and the two of them sat in silence for a few minutes, "You know Dimitri" Sylvain began "If hearing things like that about Byleth and Claude did upset you, you can always do something about it" he said.

Dimitri furrowed his eyebrows, "What are you going on about now" he said.

Sylvain shrugged his shoulders, "You just have to ask Byleth to dance with you" he said, "I'm sure once they see the two of you together it will remedy the image of who Byleth is with" he added.

Dimitri shook his head, "No, I'm not doing that" he said sternly.

Sylvain laughed, "I can't force you to" he said "But don't be mopey if she chooses him then" he added.

Dimitri frowned, "Shut up, do not speak on things you know nothing of" he hissed.

Sylvain sighed and stood up, "Listen Dimitri either you do it or don't, it's your choice" he said then paused for a moment "But I'm certain Rodrigue asked you to come here for a reason, that being to show that there aren't high tensions amongst us" he sighed, "And that is the best way to achieve that image as well" Sylvain concluded then walked away from the table Dimitri was seated at.

Byleth:

After Byleth had gotten to taste the cake that was made by Ashe, Dedue, and Mercedes, Claude dragged Byleth back out to the garden area, "You wanna dance?" he asked while extending a hand.

Byleth grabbed it, "You know Claude, she said as they began their dance, I could have sworn that you weren't a very good dancer" she teased.

Claude rolled his eyes, "With stuffy noble dances yeah" he sighed, "Unfortunately for me that is the only dance everyone here knows" he said.

Byleth nodded, "That would be true" she said.

"Huh, would you look at that" Claude said, "Dimitri came to celebrate today" he added.

Byleth turned her head, and sure enough there he was sitting at one of the tables alongside Sylvain. "I take you had something to do with this?" Byleth questioned.

Claude shook his head, "Nah, this wasn't me this time" he said "I considered it, but I didn't think he would come if I asked" he added.

Byleth nodded, "It was probably Gilbert or Rodrigue's doing" she said.

Claude nodded in agreement, after their dance finished someone called out to Byleth.

"Hey kiddo" Byleth turned to greet her Father.

"Hey dad" Byleth said with a smile.

"Having fun?" he asked, Byleth nodded. Jeralt chuckled, "How about you take a break from dancing and sit down and chat with your old man for a while" he said, Byleth nodded and followed Jeralt to a nearby table.

They both sat down, Byleth was looking around at the happy face of her friends, "In times like this it makes it a little hard to imagine that there is a war going on" she said, "That the decisions we make will result in the loss of life for many young men and women" she sighed.

Jeralt nodded and scratched the back of his head, "I think things like this are a good reminder of what we are fighting for" he said.

Byleth tilted her head, "What do you mean?" she asked.

Jeralt laughed, "Kiddo, I'm surprised you don't get it" he sighed, "We're fighting for them, everyone around us that we care about. For our future and theirs" he said. Byleth nodded, she understood it know, "Well at least that's what most of us fight for" Jeralt said, "There are those that fight to avenge the fallen" he added.

"By damning the living" Byleth said, Jeralt didn't respond to that comment, if he agreed or disagreed, he never did reveal it.

"Everyone fight's for different reasons kiddo" Jeralt said.

Byleth nodded, "I know" she said.

They sat in silence for a moment, "You know I'm happy that you've made friends, you have changed so much from the first time we stepped foot here" Jeralt said.

Byleth smiled, "Thank you, that means a lot" she said "I'd like to think I have come along way as well" she added.

The two of them sat at the table chatting for a while before someone approached the table, "Byleth, I came to wish you a happy Birthday" Byleth looked up and saw that the person was Rodrigue.

Byleth smiled at him, "Thank you Rodrigue" she said.

Rodrigue nodded, "No problem" he said then extended his hand out, "Would you care to dance with me for a bit?" he asked.

Byleth looked to her Father, and he shook his head "Ah- I've kept you to myself long enough" he said "Go out there and have fun kiddo" he added.

Byleth laughed, "Alright, Thanks dad" she said as she stood from her seat and grabbed Rodrigue's hand, he guided them out to the area where people were dancing, and then began to dance with Byleth.

"I noticed Dimitri came" Byleth said breaking the silence as they danced, "I take that was your doing?" she said with a small laugh.

Rodrigue nodded, "Yes, I hope you don't mind" he said.

Byleth shook her head, "Not at all" she said.

Rodrigue was observing her for a while, she felt a bit uncomfortable it was like he could see right through her, "Hmm I take that you and His Highness have yet to speak since the incident?" Rodrigue asked.

Byleth hesitated, "Um- no we haven't" she confessed.

Rodrigue sighed, "I understand where your apprehension on the matter comes from" he said, "He can be difficult and stubborn as a mule at times" he said with a laugh. Rodrigue paused for a moment, Byleth stared waiting for him to finish, a smile fell over his face "But I believe that Dimitri is still in there, buried deep in his hatred and regret" Rodrigue said, "I think it would do him good if you were to talk with him" he added.

Byleth and Rodrigue finished their dance soon after he finished telling her that, she was soon whisked away into another dance, it was like the night of the ball all over again. As she dances, Byleth thought over the words that Rodrigue had told her, she looked over at Dimitri there had been a few women to approach him, how brave she thought. Byleth watched as he shooed them away from his presence, she had to admit that Rodrigue was right about Dimitri, there was still part of him deep, deep underneath that sometimes would peak out, she'd seen it a few times to know that she couldn't deny the existence of it.

Byleth had more dance partners that evening than she could count, she kept glancing over at Dimitri, he remained alone for the evening she felt a ting of guilt hit her at the thought of only Sylvain having the courtesy to keep him company for a while.

Once finished with her dance she began heading that way she was stopped by another person who requested her to dance with them but she refused saying that she needed a break, then continued on to the table where Dimitri sat alone.

"Is it alright if I join you?" Byleth asked as she approached Dimitri at his table, she heard the start of a refusal, but it quickly died on his lips once he turned and saw who was requesting it. Dimitri grunted in response, Byleth stood for a moment then took a seat, "I was unsure momentarily if that was a yes or a no" she said, "So I'll just take it as a yes" she added.

"Take it how you'd like" Dimitri responded coolly.

Byleth immediately regretted sitting down at the table, she knew she wouldn't be able to leave soon either since it would look like her and Dimitri are unable to be in one another presence. She felt Dimitri's gaze burning into her as she twirled the clothe that covered the tables in her fingers.

"What?" Byleth asked as she looked up to meet Dimitri's gaze.

Dimitri remained silent for a while, "Dance with me" he said.

Byleth squinted her eyes at him, she wondered if maybe the real Dimitri had been switched and this was a fraud. It seemed to be Dimitri, "Alright" Byleth said, then stood up from her chair, and began walking to the dancing area. She was immediately swarmed by people requesting a dance with her, Byleth declined them informing them that she had already promised her dance to another person. Byleth found it funny the look of horror that fell among the faces of the people asking for her hand to dance once they saw the Fallen Prince of Faerghus making his way to her, they quickly scattered.

Dimitri came up to Byleth and grabbed her hand and pulled her close to him as he began their dance. Byleth watched as people had begun to leave once Dimitri had finally come to display, "Hmm people seem to really fear you" Byleth said.

"As they should" Dimitri said "It's only natural for people to fear beasts" he added.

Byleth didn't respond to that, "So why did you want to dance?" she asked.

Dimitri seemed to hesitate for a moment, before he finally spoke, "The men" he said "They were saying vulgar things about you" he hissed, "This was the only way I could silence them without killing them or disappointing Rodrigue" he added.

"I see" Byleth said, "It sounds more like a power play at marking your territory" she said, and Dimitri didn't reply, he just kept dancing with her until their dance was over.

Byleth hated to admit it but Dimitri's power play did work at keeping people away from her once their dance was over, she was left alone, although it could also have to do with the lateness of the day. In that moment Byleth realized her own exhaustion, it was a fun day, but it had drained her energy completely. Byleth said her goodbyes to her friends and guests then began departing to her room for the evening.

Byleth had almost reached her room when she heard her name being called, she turned around and saw Claude approaching her. "Jesh, I've been calling you" Claude said.

"Sorry?" Byleth said, "I just heard you" she added, "Anyways what's up? Did something happen?" she questioned.

Claude shook his head, "No everything is fine" he said "I just wanted to give you this" he said and handed her a bouquet of yellow tulips, "I meant to give them to you earlier but it was difficult to find a time" he said.

Byleth smiled, "Thank you Claude" she said, "Did you grow these yourself, they are lovely" she added.

Claude nodded, "Yes, I did" he said "Any way's I'll let you go for the night now, I'm certain you are exhausted" he added.

Byleth nodded back, "Yes, thank you once again Claude" she said, "And have a good night" Byleth added before she began heading back to her room for the night.

Byleth undid all the work that Hilda had done for her earlier that morning and slid on a pair of her black shorts and black shirt. She then laid down and dozed off to sleep.

(The Twenty- Fifth of Lone Moon)

Byleth had spent her whole morning in strategy meetings, they were preparing to leave for the bridge in the next couple of days so that they will be there by the thirty- first of Lone Moon. They knew that there were Imperial troops there protecting it, but until they got there they had no way of telling how many troops would be there, and there was always the possibility that Edelgard was sending more troops.

Byleth had been lost in thought when a purple haired man peeked his head into the Cardinal room and waved at Byleth to come to him. She realized that it was Yuri, so she excused herself to see what he had wanted.

"Is something wrong Yuri?" Byleth asked as soon as she had closed the door behind her. She heard the door open a few moments after she closed it and Claude and Dimitri stepped out as well.

Yuri nodded at them to acknowledge their presence, then turned to Byleth "No, but I have news" Yuri said.

"What kind of news?" Claude asked.

Yuri smiled "About the spy" he said, "We found him" he added.

Dimitri frowned, "You three were searching for the rat?" he questioned, then turned to Yuri "Where is he, I'll rip him to shreds" he spat.

Yuri shook his head, "Oh, he's dead already" he said.

"I'm sorry what?" Byleth said, "How can he be dead?" she questioned.

Yuri laughed, "Oh poor naive Byleth, how else do you think I got the information" he said.

Dimitri nodded in approval, and Byleth remained silent, a part of her was revolted knowing that Yuri had used torture as a method to get their information.

Claude broke the silence, "What information?" he asked.

"I know who the generals are that Edelgard sent to guard the bridge" Yuri said.

"Who are they?" Byleth asked.

"Ferdinand and Ladislava" Yuri said, Byleth felt her stomach churn at the thought of having to face them in battle. She had fought alongside Ladislava at the Battle of Garreg Mach, they defeated the knights of Seiros with help from one another and now.

Byleth will turn her blade against her.

Byleth knows that Ladislava's death is inevitable, she is like Hubert, wholly and unquestionably dedicated to Edelgard.

Ferdinand however is a different story entirely; he could be swayed Byleth is sure of it. If Byleth remembers correctly his Father had been put under house arrest when Edelgard had come to power during her coronation. Byleth had faith that Ferdinand could at least be spared, although it would mean he would more than likely become a war prisoner, well that is if he isn't going to come with them willingly that is. If he chooses to join them on his own volition, they will take him, Ferdinand would be a valuable asset since he had been working with Edelgard and they would be able to find out what she knows.

Claude scratched the back of his neck, "Hmm, I hate the idea of having to fight our former classmates" he sighed.

Dimitri scoffed, "Then don't look at his face" he hissed.

Byleth felt sick by Dimitri's words, "How can you say that" she said "This is Ferdinand, he's our friend" she said while shaking her head.

"How foolish are you" Dimitri hissed, "Ferdinand choose Edelgard's side, he deserves death" he concluded.

Byleth frowned, "So did I" she said, "Kill me then" she hissed. Dimitri glared at her, "Persuading Ferdinand to join our side is beneficial" Byleth said, "He will know exactly what Edelgard's next move is" she added. "Now who's the foolish one Dimitri, are you going to make us miss this opportunity to find out what she is planning because you are so blood crazed" Byleth hissed.

They stood in tension filled silence for a few minutes before Claude spoke up, "She is right Dimitri" he said "It would be best for us to have Ferdinand join us". Dimitri remained silent, Claude sighed "Thank you Yuri, this was helpful" Claude said then turned to Byleth and Dimitri "Come on, It's important that we are present for this meeting" he said then entered opened the doors and walked inside.

(The Thirty- First Lone Moon)

They were drawing close to the bridge; they had decided to leave the night before the thirty- first so they would be there by early in the morning the next day. Claude and the others agreed that they would only be able to bring ten of their main soldiers into fight onto the bridge. It was decided that Byleth, Bernadetta, Caspar, Claude, Dimitri, Felix, Hilda, Lorenz, Lysithea, and Sylvain would be fighting while the others stayed behind to guard the monastery.

"The Great Bridge of Myrddin is in sight. Beyond it, the Empire" Lorenz called out.

Lysithea frowned, "How unsettling. There are bridges in the Southern part of Ordelia territory, but nothing like this" she said in horror.

Claude nodded, "It's the most strategic location in that area to move a large army across the Airmid River" he said "The Empire will want to hold onto it at all costs so expect tough defenses" he added.

Byleth nodded in agreement, "Let's finish this quickly" she said.

"You're right" Lysithea said while nodding, "The enemy's guard should be down, so let's end this quickly before they have a chance to retaliate" she said.

"You're in command Byleth, do whatever it takes to win" Claude said, he paused for a moment "Well, other than sacrificing the lives of our allies for the sake of victory. Try to avoid that" he added, "Before we go you should check in on Dimitri and the others, we're counting on you my friend" Claude said.

Byleth nodded, then left to find Dimitri she saw him with Gilbert, "Our scout has returned. As expected, there are a few Imperial soldiers stationed there" Gilbert was saying as Byleth approached them.

Dimitri nodded, "I see. So, the enemy has prepared for our arrival..." he said, "It matters not. I will kill them all, whether they are one or one hundred" Dimitri declared.

Byleth frowned, "That's not necessary" she said while pinching the bridge of her nose.

Dimitri looked down at her, "What would you do, if you saw the people who stole everything from you?" he said "If you saw them right before your eyes, living carefree lives and feeling no guilt. Would you feel nothing? Do nothing?" he spat, "Five years ago... Did you not deem the woman who attempted to kill Jeralt to be unforgivable" Dimitri hissed, Byleth flinched at his remark. "I'm most certain that you did. You couldn't let her get away with her crime, so you took up your sword in pursuit" Dimitri spat as he crossed his arms.

Byleth looked down, he's right. She is no better than Dimitri, she was so blinded by her own vengeance then that it cost her Sothis. "You're right" Byleth admitted.

A twisted smile fell upon Dimitri's face, "Precisely my point. We are the same, you and I" he said.

Footsteps approached them, "Your wasting your time" Byleth looked up to see Felix. "There's nothing to be gained from exchanging words with a boar that has lost its mind" Felix said to Byleth.

"Felix..." Gilbert said in a warning tone.

Felix shook his head, "This is war" he stated "Every last one of us has lost someone we care for" he said, "But we all choose to suppress our anger and grief and go on living. Do you know why?" Felix asked.

"Because it's pointless" Byleth said.

Felix nodded, "That's right. All the boar is accomplished is stacking up more corpses" he said.

Dimitri turned to Felix, "Tell me, Felix..." he began "If the dead are beyond reach, is it not also pointless to mourn or even bury those who are lost?" Dimitri said.

Felix shook his head, "Ha. That mind of yours. I'm done here" he said then turned to Byleth, "Remember, Byleth. It's not our compassion for this fool that has brought our army this far" he said. "There are those of us who despise the Empire, and those who sided against the church, such as yourself" Felix said, "If we keep running down this path, it's only a matter of time before the ground beneath us collapses" he said.

Rodrigue approached them, "That's enough, Felix" he scolded.

Felix frowned, "Hmph. You're a damned fool, old man" he said while shaking his head.

Rodrigue turned to Dimitri, "The soldiers are ready to march on your command" he said.

Dimitri nodded, "Then let's move out at once. Every moment counts" he said.

"Understood" Rodrigue said "Let's show those Empire dastards our power" he added.

Byleth turned away from them, she hated how Rodrigue supported Dimitri's reckless behavior. Prince or not, he was causing more bloodshed than there needed to be. All they needed to do was target the generals, and whatever soldiers tried attacking at the, but... to kill every last one of them? That is just too excessive. It's hard to imagine there was a time when Dimitri shouted at Byleth for her lack of empathy while explaining the realities of war all those years ago. She shook her head and went back to where Claude and the others were waiting.

"Dimitri's given the order" Byleth began, "We will be attacking the bridge now" she added.

Claude nodded, "Remember no sacrificing friends" he said with a laugh as they began descending on the bridge.

Byleth shook her head, "Claude you're explaining that to the wrong person" she sighed.

As they approached the bridge Byleth began to hear shouting, she paused for a moment to hear what was going on.

Byleth knew who it was immediately.

Ladislava.

She felt a pang of guilt knowing that she couldn't be saved, but Byleth knew that this is war and to try to persuade her was futile.

"That symbol... It's an enemy raid! Stay calm and face them head on" Ladislava shouted, "Send a messenger to Acheron immediately! If we are quick, we might be able to pull off a pincer attack!" she yelled.

"They say the enemy's general Ladislava is among Edelgard's most trusted. Let's see what she's got" Claude said as he stood beside Byleth.

Dimitri who had taken place on the other side of her spoke up, "Edelgard's dog, huh?" he said with a sinister laugh, "All the more reason to kill her" he added.

As Dimitri began his ramblings about the slaughter of every soldier on that bridge, Byleth took it as an opportunity to scope out the layout of the bridge before she divided them into their groups. Straight ahead there was a fortification being guarded by many soldiers. Closer to them there were three soldiers attempting to block off what looked to be a bridge.

"Caspar, Claude, Dimitri, Hilda, Lorenz, and Sylvain" Byleth called out, "You six will head straight and take on enemy reinforcement's there at that fortification" she said. Byleth paused for a moment, "Bernadetta, Felix, and Lysithea" she called out, "You three will come with me" she said, "We are taking down those three soldiers first then heading down that bridge" she added. There was no opposition this time around, "Alright then let's finish this" Byleth said and began heading in the direction of the three soldiers.

Two of the three soldiers were armored knights, which are extremely susceptible to magic usage, so it made fighting them easier since Byleth and Lysithea were able to take them down with relative ease. Next was the archer, Bernadetta shot at him from afar with her own bow, managing to lay a few good hits, but she was within range to be hit back and suffered a few blows then Felix swooped in and finished the archer off. "Thanks for that" Bernadetta thanked Felix.

Byleth went up to Bernadetta, her wounds weren't too bad, but it wasn't smart to let them fester long enough that they could potentially be a problem, "Are you alright?" Byleth asked as she began channeling her healing magic into Bernadetta's wound.

Bernadetta nodded, "Nothing to bad" she replied with a smile, "Thank you" she added once Byleth finished healing her.

Byleth turned and began heading from the bridge, it split into two different ways one went straight into another bridge, and the other part went into... "Crap a ballista" Byleth said, By the looks of it no one had yet taken the position of manning it, "Bernadetta, you'll come with me and man the ballista" she said, "Felix and Lysithea" Byleth said, "Take the bridge to the part further up there" she commanded, "Be careful" she added.

They nodded in union, "No worries, we'll be fine" Felix said then began heading off that way.

Byleth and Bernadetta turned right into where the ballista was, unfortunately a soldier had just been getting there. Byleth raised her blade and lunged an attack, it wasn't critical but Bernadetta was able to finish him off with her arrows. Byleth was about to give Bernadetta a command but the order died on her lips, her eyes met with Ferdinand's, he was all the way down at the end of the stone bridge, in a fortresses part of it. She saw that that must be where the part that Felix and Lysithea will be going through, if Byleth and Bernadetta are able to attract them this way they could launch their own little mini pincer attack. "Bernadetta" Byleth shouted "Man the ballista, we need to draw them this way" she commanded.

Bernadetta nodded and took station at the ballista, she began firing at Ferdinand and some of the men that were around him. Byleth noted how she avoided hitting Ferdinand but didn't spare letting it hit the soldiers surrounding him. Finally, they began heading towards them, two of the three were calvary units alongside of Ferdinand, Luckily, they were greatly weakened by the bombardment from the ballistics. Bernadetta left from the ballista and began firing at a mage, who luckily fell before he could cause any damage.

That just left one more person.

Ferdinand.

From behind him Byleth saw Felix and Lysithea approaching, but unfortunately the bridge received reinforcements and they were forced into combat with them immediately.

Fortunately for Byleth that meant she had time to try to sway Ferdinand.

Ferdinand rode up to them swinging his lance at Byleth. Ferdinand frowned at her, Byleth saw a flash of sadness in his eyes, "Edelgard has always been obsessed with you" Ferdinand began, his voice was shaky. For a moment Byleth feared that she might actually have to kill him, "I am a little envious to be frank" he said with an awkward laugh, then closed his eyes for a moment, "I- I will just have to impress her with my skills on the battlefield" Ferdinand shouted as he opened his eyes and lunged once again at Byleth.

His attack skimmed at Byleth; she was lucky to have missed it. In the back she heard Bernadetta screaming, "Ferdinand, please" she said sobbed.

Byleth saw Ferdinand flinch at the sight of Bernadetta, "Bernadetta..." he said softly, then shook his head, "I- I can't, betray her majesty..." he said with a strained voice then lunged again at Byleth, this time Byleth managed to parry it causing Ferdinand to fall from his stead. Now they had to fight face to face. If she had to take his life, she would witness the light fade from his eyes. Byleth felt bile beginning to rise in her throat at the thought of it.

"Please Ferdinand, I don't want to kill you" Byleth pleaded, "I don't want to kill Edelgard either" she added.

Ferdinand furrowed his brows, "What do you mean by that?" he said, "Elaborate" he added.

Byleth nodded, this was the opportunity she had been waiting for "I don't want to kill Edelgard, we just need to defeat her in order to get her to listen" she said "I presume that she isn't in complete control any more" she added, Ferdinand looked down confirming Byleth's suspicions. "We need to work together to stop them, and the Church of Seiros" Byleth said.

Ferdinand paused then lowered his lance, "Can you do this?" he asked "Can you really save her?" Ferdinand questioned, he looked up to Byleth holding her gaze.

Byleth nodded, "Ferdinand, I swear to you I will not stop trying until we can all find harmony with one another" she declared.

Byleth heard a weapon clatter, hitting the floor. Byleth looked and saw that Ferdinand disarmed himself, "The I yield to you" he stated.

"Thank you, Ferdinand" Byleth said, she was relieved that he was able to be reasoned with. She turned to Bernadetta, "You and Ferdinand head back, I don't want our armies to think he is still with the enemy" she said, Byleth pulled out a piece of parchment, and pen and began writing down the details then handed it to Bernadetta "Go to where Rodrigue and Gilbert are, and give this to them" she said, "Be safe you two" she added.

Bernadetta nodded, "We will" she said then began turning around with Ferdinand.

From a distance Byleth heard Ladislava beginning to shout, "Ferdinand" she shouted "How dare you betray her majesty" she yelled.

Ferdinand looked back, then turned right back around continuing to follow Bernadetta.

Byleth watched until they were out of distance then continued onto the fortresses area that Felix and Lysithea were at, they were fighting off a couple of the mages that came as reinforcements. Byleth swooped in and finished off one of the mages while Felix took down the other, he nodded at her "Took you long enough" he said, he looked around "Where's Bernadetta?" he asked in a concerned tone.

"Don't worry she's fine" Byleth said "We were successful in recruiting Ferdinand, I told her to take him back to Gilbert and Rodrigue" she added.

Lysithea's eyes grew wide, "You were successful?" she asked excitedly.

Byleth nodded, "Yes, now come on" she said "I'm certain the other's need our help by now" she added and began crossing over the bridge into the part where the others were and where Ladislava was still guarding.

Byleth saw the others engaged in a battle with a demonic beast, while they took on some calvary units that came their way. Byleth had finished one of them off when she heard someone shout for her to watch out, she narrowly dodged an attack from Ladislava, "To repay her Majesty's favor... I will not let you pass!" she spat, and shook her head, "How dare you turn against her like this" she hissed as she attempted to strike a blow at Byleth.

Byleth didn't respond, and dodged her hit, and struck Ladislava with her blade. Arrows came raining down and tore through the wings of the Wyvern that Ladislava rode causing her to fall off. Byleth approached her lying on the floor covered in blood, "I'm sorry..." Byleth mumbled before she delivered the fatal blow.

It's done.

It's over.

They've won.

But at what cost.

Byleth stood up, she heard footsteps approaching her, she turned to see Dimitri, "Idiots. Embracing death for the sake of that woman" he hissed and folded his arms "Truly foolish..." he added.

Byleth sighed, she wasn't in the mood for this, "Aren't you happy we won?" she spat.

Dimitri looked confused, "I... I don't know" he said.

Byleth was taken aback for a moment, she squinted her eyes at him, "Do you regret killing them?" she asked.

"They were just beasts with human faces" Dimitri said "I had no choice but to kill them, and so I did. That... that is all there is to it" he added.

Byleth and Dimitri stood in silence for a few minutes then Rodrigue came up to them, "It's about time you two returned. We must discuss our next course of action" Rodrigue said. Byleth nodded, and the two of them followed after Rodrigue.

There was something going on. Byleth heard a young girl's voice pleading with someone, for a moment she feared the worst given that they had just won this fight,  but by the looks of it, it was just a disagreement of some sort.

"By the goddess! What's with all the commotion?" Rodrigue questioned as they approached the young girl and the soldier. The girl stared wide eyed at Dimitri, not that Byleth blamed her, he looked terrifying with his blank expression and blood practically dripping from his armor. "What is this girl doing here? This is an army, not an orphanage" Rodrigue said.

"I believe she's from a nearby village. She keeps insisting that she needs to join our ranks" the soldier said.

Rodrigue shook his head and frowned, "And you thought we could use a child on the front lines?" he scolded, "Hurry up and take her back to her parents" he commanded.

The girl broke her gaze from Dimitri and aimed it at the floor, "My family is gone. I don't have anywhere else to go" she said "Please!" the girl begged. "I can use magic and I can fight!" she said "I can cook, do laundry, anything!" she added,

Rodrigue sighed, "I'm sure there are plenty of more suitable places to find work. Why are you so fixated on this army young lady?" he asked.

The girl's brows furrowed, "I" she hesitated, "I need... to get revenge. I must strike down the one who murdered my big Brother!" she said.

Byleth's stomach churned, the last thing they needed was another mini Dimitri who was hell bent on avenging the dead. Rodrigue turned to look at Dimitri, "Your Highness... What should we do?" he asked.

Dimitri crossed his arms, "Let her do as she pleases" he said.

The girl bowed, "Thank you... very much" she said.

Rodrigue and the soldier guided the girl to where everyone else was. Byleth turned to Dimitri, "Are you sure we should let her join us Dimitri?" she asked, "She is just a child" she added.

Dimitri frowned, "So?" he said "In Faerghus we have children younger than that prepared to fight in battle" he added, "I'm certain you were fighting before that age, what's the issue?" he hissed.

Byleth frowned back at Dimitri, "Are her reasoning to pick up arms not concerning to you" Byleth said.

Dimitri shook his head and let out a dry laugh "I see" he said "You're afraid she's going to be like me aren't you" he hissed, "No I won't let another person be plagued by the ghosts of the fallen, I will help the child kill her brother's murderer" he said.

Byleth shook her head, "Don't be stupid Dimitri, getting revenge won't help her" she said, "It won't help you either" she added, "You are being ignorant" Byleth sighed.

Dimitri shrugged, "I don't care" he said and walked away.

Byleth sighed then walked over to where a big circle had begun to form around Claude. "Well done, everyone. The Great Bridge of Myrddin is ours" he said then paused for a moment "Now it's on me to return to Alliance territory and convince those lords to join us" he said then turned to Lorenz. "Lorenz, would you return home for the time being and lay the groundwork with your Father?" Claude asked.

Lorenz nodded, "Fine. After all, this is for the Alliance. Or rather, for all of Fodlan" he said.

Claude turned back around to everyone else "For those of you who live in Alliance territories, I ask that you return to your houses, and spread the word about the current situation" he said "Until we finish our preparations, Judith and the knights will do everything in their power to defend the Great Bridge" he added.

Judith laughed, "That's a casual way to dole out such a deadly mission, boy" she said.

Claude winked at her, "Do you object?" he asked.

Judith frowned, "Just who do you think I am? I won't let the Empire pass this way, even if it costs me my life" she proclaimed.

Claude shook his head "Too bad you're not allowed to die. Fight like your life depends on it but flee if you're ever truly in danger" he said.

Judith nodded, "A tall order, as always. I'll use my best discretion, Claude" she said.

Claude turned to Byleth, "Byleth, I'd like for you to come with me, to help negotiate with the lords" he said, "They've been expressing concern about the church of Seiros, and it would make things easier if you were there to speak to them about your plan on conquering the Adrestrian Empire into submission" he added. "Alright everyone, let's meet back at the monastery next month. Good luck out there" Claude said.

The group began to scatter as they started preparing to go separate to their respected territories, Byleth turned to Claude "I'm not telling Dimitri" she said, "You have to since you requested my presence" she added.

Claude groaned, "Fine" he sighed, "Or we pretend you died during battle and surprise everyone when you show up back at the monastery alive" he said. Byleth glared at Claude and he sighed, "Fine sacrifice me I guess" he teased, as they walked over to the supplies to get what they needed for their trip.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

352 18 9
After the defeat of Rhea and Thales, the Adrestian Empire prepares for battle with Dimitri and The Kingdom in one final confrontation. At the capital...
5.6K 92 15
Following the supposed death of Sephiroth, former First Class SOLDIER Cloud Strife traveled around Gaia searching for more work as a mercenary. Howev...
9.2K 317 66
Fire Emblem Three Houses AU Story: What if Sothis was with Byleth since their childhood days? "If only I could touch the stars." Born sick since da...
5.9K 429 65
In a continent plagued with inner conflict, unfortunate struggles, and an imbalance of power, Fódlan resides in a state of unsuspecting threat. Howev...