Gold- A Pokémon Story

By blitz233

"Fear is just resisting ambition." 10 Years after a young trainer defeated the MissingNo Invasion, that train... More

Opening Disclaimers
Prologue
Chapter One: Twelfth Birthday
Chapter Two: First Battle
Chapter Three: Setting Off
Chapter Four: The Start of it All
Chapter Five: A New Rival
Chapter Six: Cave Robbers
Chapter Seven: Into the Depths
Chapter Eight: Bugged
Chapter Nine: Forest Afar
Chapter Eleven: Normality Brutality
Chapter Twelve: Losing Streak
Chapter Thirteen: Rocket Strikes Again
Chapter Fourteen: Arriving at the City
Chapter Fifteen: Opening Ceremony
Chapter Sixteen: Working With Them
Chapter Seventeen: Rematch
Chapter Eighteen: Alola, New Friend!
Chapter Nineteen: The Fighting Master's Island.
Chapter Twenty: Living a Dream
Chapter Twenty One: Steeling Ourselves for Battle
Chapter Twenty Two: Unsafe Sanctuary
Chapter Twenty Three: I Was Scared
Chapter Twenty Four: Red Rocket Rumble
Chapter Twenty Five: Frozen Battlezone
Chapter Twenty Six: Ice Caves and a Gym Craze
Chapter Twenty Seven: The Gym Battle to End All Gym Battles
Chapter Twenty Eight: Battling Alex
Chapter Twenty Nine- Returning Home
Chapter Thirty- Cheer Up
Chapter Thirty One- The Closing Ceremony
Chapter Thirty Two- The Rainbow Pokémon
Chapter Thirty Three- Missing Something?
Chapter Thirty Four- Friends To The End!
Chapter Thirty Five- Elite Four Rumble
Chapter Thirty Six- The Dragon Master
Chapter Thirty Seven- Final Preparations
Chapter Thirty Eight- Golden Opportunity Part One
Chapter Thirty Nine- Golden Opportunity Part Two
Chapter Forty- I Can't Believe It
Epilogue
One Last Show

Chapter Ten: Adventures in Goldenrod

18 0 0
By blitz233

By the time we reached the entrance to Goldenrod City, the sun had dipped below the trees.

The temperature had dropped to be colder than last night and I was really glad we were going to be spending the night in a city.

We walked into the mostly empty streets of Goldenrod and beelined for the Pokémon Center so we could get some rest.

Silver got us a room while I had our Pokémon's health restored. We met up and walked through the halls of the center to where we would be staying.

The room was a fairly simple but nice place to rest with two beds, a bathroom, and some amenities. Silver and I were too exhausted to talk much so I sent out Wooper and climbed into my bed.

I wasn't able to stay awake for very long though, and I quickly drifted off into a blissful sleep. Silver, meanwhile, called his mom and talked to her a bit before going to bed.

While we rested, images of what had happened in the Slowpoke Well resurfaced in my mind. The strange substance taking over my Pokémon and anything else it touched.

Despite traveling through different dream worlds throughout the night I kept being confronted with the image of the corruption. It seemed completely unnatural, almost unreal.

I was far too young during the MissingNo attacks to remember them but from what I had heard it was a dire situation that tested the will and resolve of the Champion.

I read about the stories online and in books growing up. But I had always thought of it all as ancient history. Something the great hero had done to complete his rise to stardom. The thought of it not being over was worrisome.

As the sun bled through the curtains of the room Silver and I woke up and got ready to leave.

I enjoyed a wonderful shower and put on the change of clothes my mom had packed for me. A zip-up red hoodie and long black pants. These will probably be way better for the weather right now anyway. I told myself.

Once Silver and I were ready to go I realized Wooper was still asleep on my bed and I returned him to his spherical home so I wouldn't have to wake him.

"Man, that Wooper can sleep." Silver mused.

We walked out of the room and started down the hall. "For sure!" I agreed. "He'd probably like to sleep all day. But I can always count on Wooper when I need him."

The two of us returned the key and then stepped outside to take in the city in its glory. The golden bricks laid on the ground reflected the sunlight and shone beautifully.

The Department Store towered over the town and the many smaller buildings that made up the city. The monorail station and tracks were elevated and the train was currently departing for Saffron City.

Not too far from us, the Radio Tower was broadcasting its shows to all of Johto. It went even higher up than the Department Store and was the single highest tower in Johto.

Many people were out and about, going to the casino or to various businesses. I noticed the gym was sitting toward the end of the town next to the Flower Shop and set my sights for it.

Silver followed where I was looking and understood. "Hey Gold, before we take on the gym we should check out the Department Store! They've got all kinds of cool stuff there!" Silver told me. I wanted to take on the gym immediately but I decided that it could wait.

Silver and I walked into the crowded store and made our way to the second floor to take a look at some of the products they had.

We both stocked up on Potions and Poké Balls with the money we had made from battling the many trainers in our way so far.

Once we had made our purchases we were making our way to the staircase yet again when I noticed a familiar face.

Jess was standing by a counter with some blonde guy wearing a purple headband. They seemed to be considering buying whatever they were looking at.

"Hey Silver, follow me!" I told him and rushed off in their direction. I wanted a chance to rematch Jess and this would be the perfect time.

I pushed past a couple of people and heard Silver apologizing for me while I made my way to the two trainers.

Jess's friend was about the same age and height as her. He was wearing a purple scarf that covered his neck and shoulder and his skin was pale. Shadows seemed to cloak his facial features and his expression was that of mild amusement.

I came to a stop in front of them. "Heya Jess!" The trainers seemed to not have noticed me before and quickly turned to look at me.

Jess's neutral expression formed into a smile and she put her hands together. "Oh, hiya... Gold, wasn't it?"

I nodded and Silver finally caught up with me. "We were stopping here to shop and I saw you," I explained.

"Well, I'm glad you popped in to say hello! This is my friend, Morty. We both grew up together in Ecruteak and he's now the Gym Leader." Jess introduced her friend.

Morty made a slight waving motion with his hand. "Pleased to meet you." He spoke softly and slowly.

"You're a gym leader?" I confirmed. "That's so awesome!"

Morty's smile grew slightly and he lifted his head. "Thank you. I take it you're a trainer? Unfortunately, I'm not doing any battles today. My gym is up north and I've taken the day off." He said.

"That's alright," I said. "I actually wanted to battle Jess." I gestured to the girl.

She put one hand on her hip and smiled coyly. "Oh, really? You want a rematch after I beat you last time?"

I wanted to spit back an insult but I crossed my arms and tried to match her grin. "Yeah, I've gotten way stronger since then and I want to show off you!"

"You've got quite the confidence, young trainer," Morty observed. He seemed to finally take notice that Silver was standing there quietly. "And who's this?"

Silver seemed to snap back into reality and looked at the man. "Uhm I'm Silver!" He said. "Gold and I are traveling together."

The Gym Leader nodded to him and I quickly guided the conversation back on track. "So Jess, how about it?"

Jess shrugged. "Sounds good to me. Let's go outside then." She said and we all walked to the stairs.

The four of us went outside to the center street and Morty cleared the crowd enough to create a large circle to battle in. "Alright, this will be a three on three Pokémon battle. Neither trainer may substitute Pokémon and the battle will be over once all three Pokémon on either side can no longer battle." Morty explained.

The trainer then turned to look at me. "Give the crowd a good match, they love to see electrifying battles and I want to see if you can get them excited," Morty said and then he stepped off to the sidelines. "Battle... begin!"

Jess pitched a Great Ball into the air and I quickly tossed out Elekid's Poké Ball. Elekid appeared on the field and began to feign attacks to pander to the crowd.

I felt Eevee's Poké Ball start to shake and I sent her out. She grinned up at me and turned to face the battle. "Oh I see, you want to watch, do you?" Eevee nodded and I turned my attention to the battle.

Jess had sent out a Gastly. The Pokémon was a small black ball with eyes and a purple aura surrounding it that floated in the air. "You can have the first move!" Jess offered.

"Elekid! Quick Attack!" I told my Pokémon. He rushed forward and jumped up to hit Gastly only to phrase right through it and crash into the ground. "What the!"

Jess shook her head with a smirk on her face. "Normal type attacks won't work on a ghost type, Goldie." She taunted. "Gastly, use Lick." Her Pokémon turned to face Elekid and opened its mouth.

Reacting quickly, I formed a plan. "Elekid, Thunder Shock, and then hit them with Thunder Punch!" Elekid sent electricity into Gastly which stopped his attack in its tracks.

Then Elekid charged forward and jumped into the air, smashing its electric fist onto the enemy Pokémon's head and launching it onto the ground.

Gastly tried to get back into the air but immediately fell back onto the ground. "Gastly is unable to battle, the winner is Elekid!" Morty announced. The crowd began to cheer and Elekid struck some poses for them.

Jess recalled her Pokémon and whistled. "Wow, that's a pretty strong Baby Pokémon." She said and then chuckled when she saw Elekid's annoyed expression. "Don't get too cocky though, I'm barely even getting started!" As she told me this she sent out her next Pokémon.

The Pokémon stood on two legs and his lower half was soot-black while from the waist up he was a golden yellow. The Pokémon had a strange nose and I had to use my Poké Dex to identify him as Drowzee.

"Drowzee, Shadow Ball!" Jess commanded. A black sphere appeared in her Pokémon's hand and it threw the projectile at Elekid.

"Elekid, dodge it!" My Pokémon easily leaped over the attack and completely avoided it. "Now use-"

I was about to give Elekid an attack command but Jess cut me off. "Shadow Ball, again!"

"Dodge it once more!"

Elekid once again easily managed to dodge the ghost attack and get closer to Drowzee while doing so. "Shadow Ball one more time!"

I was getting tired of the same old trick and Elekid was ready to dodge again. "Elekid this time when you dodge land and use Quick Attack!"

My Pokémon did just that and closed the distance between it and Drowzee instantly, landing a clean hit and staying close. "Let's do this! Thunder Punch!" Elekid smiled widely and rushed ahead.

Jess and her Pokémon smirked in unison. "Hypnosis." Drowzee pushed her hands forward as if moving and invisible force and Elekid stared at it in confusion as it rushed ahead until suddenly Elekid came to a stop and fell to the ground. What was more was he seemed to be asleep.

"Wait a second... why's Elekid taking a nap?" I wondered.

Jess wasted no time and quickly took the opportunity. "Shadow Ball!" Her Drowzee produced another orb and threw it at Elekid. It didn't take long for the attack to strike my Pokémon head-on. Elekid was blown back but still seemed to be asleep. What is happening? I asked myself.

"Elekid! Wake up! This is no time to sleep!" I called to my Pokémon. The words seemed to reach Elekid and he stood back up resulting in the crowd cheering. "Thunder Shock!" Elekid quickly fired off a jolt of electricity and hit Drowzee from afar.

"You'll regret that," Jess warned in a sing-song voice. "Psychic! Finish this!" As she spoke her Pokémon made another pushing motion but this time I felt the force slam into Elekid and whiz by my ears.

Elekid took a step forward and staggered before falling to the ground, defeated. "Elekid is unable to battle! The winner is Drowzee!" The crowd cheered for Elekid even as I returned him. We could barely do any damage. How do I stop this Pokémon? Heracross can hit hard but if he falls asleep it's over. I wondered.

Eevee pawed at my leg and gestured to the battle. "You have a plan?" I confirmed. Eevee nodded and so I sent her in.

Jess seemed to wait for me to make the first move so I did. "Eevee! Use Quick Attack!" Eevee rushed forward and I hoped she'd be able to avoid the Hypnosis.

"Trying the same thing again and again?" Jess said smugly. "Well, it won't work! Psychic!" Drowzee sent a wave of invisible energy at Eevee as she charged ahead.

"Eevee! Jump over it!" My Pokémon managed to leap high into the air but the attack still snagged her leg and she went tumbling out of the sky and onto the ground. "Eevee!"

Jess's Pokémon wiggled its fingers and Jess gave the command. "Hypnosis!"

Eevee had lost all of her momentum and there was no way she'd be able to run away from the attack. "Eevee!" I said as my mind raced. "Swift at your feet! Do it!" Eevee didn't question me and launched the stars straight down.

Despite being damaged, she was also able to get high into the air. I noticed she began to charge a projectile attack that matched the one Drowzee had been using and fired it at the foe.

Drowzee was caught off guard and struck by the move. It began to teeter back and forth after the move made contact. Our audience began to go wild as the powerful move connected.

Eevee landed and immediately I knew we had to finish it right there. "Quick Attack!" Eevee rushed ahead and rammed into Drowzee, knocking it down and winning the match.

Morty put his arm up. "Drowzee is unable to battle, which means Eevee is the winner!"

"Woah! Eevee learned how to use Shadow Ball from watching Drowzee do it! Just like Elekid did with Brick Break!" Silver awed.

"So cool," I said. Jess's gaze hardened and she quickly picked her final Pokémon. A Flaaffy, the evolved form of Mareep.

The Pokémon had bright pink fur and stood on two legs. Its tail swayed back and forth and a bit of wool remained around its neck and on its head.

"Mareep evolved?" I questioned.

Jess nodded and brushed some of her hair out of the way. "Yep! And now she's stronger than ever! Flaaffy, Thunder Punch!" Her Pokémon charged forward at Eevee.

"Eevee! Shadow Ball!" I told my battling companion. She launched a ball at Flaaffy but the Pokémon simply shrugged the move off and hit Eevee with an electric uppercut. I practically felt the force of the move from where I stood made even worse by the fact that it was an electric move. Eevee crashed to the ground limply after being launched upward and I returned her.

"Eevee is unable to battle! Flaaffy wins!" Morty said. The crowd began to applaud Flaaffy's power and I thought of who my final Pokémon should be.

I didn't wait long and sent out Chikorita. Silver tapped me on the shoulder and seemed puzzled. "Gold, why not use Wooper? Electric attacks don't work on him." Silver reminded me.

I smiled at him reassuringly. "Nothing to worry about. Chikorita and I beat a Scyther and she resists electricity. We've got this!"

"If you say so." Silver mumbled.

"You haven't evolved your Chikorita yet?" Jess asked. "This'll be even easier than I thought then!"

Chikorita stared down at her enemy and seemed uncharacteristically confident. "Chikorita! Vine Whip!" Chikorita whipped out her vines and they rushed toward Flaaffy.

"Flaaffy, pull 'em in!" Jess's Pokémon grabbed hold of the vines and pulled them, sending Chikorita flying toward it. "Thunder Punch!"

I knew Chikorita wouldn't be damaged much by the attack and we could take advantage of that. "Reflect!" Chikorita closed her eyes to focus and a barrier appeared around her, absorbing the brunt of the attack and sending Chikorita nowhere. "Poison Powder!" Chirkorita whipped her leaf and forced Flaaffy to be covered in purple powder.

Jess didn't seem bothered by my counterattack at all. "Flaaffy, Iron Tail!" Flaaffy's tail began to glow and she started to swing it at Chikorita.

"Chikorita, get out of there and use Razor Leaf!" Chikorita was able to dash away before the move could reach her and she pelted Flaaffy with leaf projectiles.

Flaaffy shuddered as the poison took effect and it was hit by yet another attack. Chikorita had put considerable distance between it and Flaaffy in the meantime.

Jess seemed to be completely focused on the battle now that Flaaffy had sustained so much damage. "Get in close!"

Flaaffy began to run towards Chikorita. "Vine Whip to keep it away!" My Pokémon prepared its vines to attack the approaching foe.

Jess smirked. "Cotton Guard!" Flaaffy put the cotton around its neck up like a shield on its arms and Chikorita's attack bounced off harmlessly. "Take Down!"

Flaaffy started to glow as it charged forward. There was no way Chikorita would be able to dodge when it was so close. "Razor Leaf, head on! We've got this!" I told her.

Chikorita focused her energy into the leaf and met Flaaffy in a collision. The Reflect once again absorbed some of Flaaffy's attack and Chikorita was able to match Flaaffy in strength and push it away.

All of the attacks Chikorita had used had clearly started to wear her down and yet Flaaffy seemed to still have enough energy in it to fight.

Jess seemed to notice that my Pokémon was at her limit and prepared to finish it. The Reflect briefly reappeared to show it had worn off and I prepared for one last exchange of blows.

"Flaaffy, Thunder Punch with both arms!" Her Pokémon's arms sparked with electricity and it ran forward.

Thunder Punch? No need to worry about Reflect, then. "Chikorita! One more time, Razor Leaf!"

I noticed Jess's focused expression flicker for a moment but thought nothing of it. Chikorita prepared to meet Flaaffy head-on and the two were about to meet.

"Flaaffy, dodge, and Iron Tail! Fast!" Fear rose up in me as I realized what was about to happen. Flaaffy stopped its attack and stepped back to avoid Chikorita's move.

I began to panic as my Pokémon was left wide open. "No! Chikorita use Reflect! Hurry!" But it was too late. Flaaffy brought its tail down onto Chikorita's head and slammed her into the ground.

I had lost again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.6K 1.1K 19
Gold is a guy who loves flirting, is a little impatient and is madly, deeply in love with Silver. Silver on the other hand, doesn't care about him...
68K 2.8K 33
A young man was badly injured after getting into a car incident and was immediately brought to the hospital; treated, but that wasn't enough. You - Y...
6.1K 96 46
Book 1/7 When a young trainer by the name of Fire is sent on a journey to overcome her sorrows due to her brother's disappearance, she faces many tra...
527 21 21
What is a dream? Dream (noun)- a cherished aspiration, ambition, or ideal. What is your dream? Would you do whatever it takes to accomplish that dre...