Suburban Vampire Ragnarok

By FranklinPosner

RAGNAROK & ROLL! A mystical box. A magical tree. An undead Nazi. A really big werewolf. And a newly-turned va... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Epilogue

Chapter 35

6 1 0
By FranklinPosner

"Hey guys!" Bernie called into the woods. "You all might as well come out. These cats are cool!"

The forest rumbled with sound as several large, fur-covered creatures approached, slowly making their way into the clearing. Dawn and Scott watched the approaching monsters with awe.

"This is my posse," Bernie explained. "My woodland crew, I guess you'd say. This first one is Moonchild, then there's Peace Flower, this is Tree Hugger, and that last one is Frank. Say hi, guys!"

The sasquatches, both male and female, all waved and said hello as Dawn and Scott reciprocated.

"One thing you gotta understand about us sasquatches is that we're, like, the hippies of the supernatural world. We're all about getting out in the wild and communing with nature, you know? And we're pretty serious about safeguarding the great outdoors. That's why we bellow and roar, just to scare folks off. But the truth is, none of us would hurt a fly."

Scott noticed that the giant creatures were gentle, as some of them entertained smaller animals such as squirrels and raccoons as they stood there, allowing the little mammals to sit on their shoulders and run up and down their arms and legs. "Yeah, we're pacifists," Bernie continued. "Lovin' peace, and lovin' nature. Love is really what all us sasquatches are all about, you dig?"

"I dig," Scott said. "So, why have you guys been so hard to track down? I mean, people have seen you but there's never been any solid evidence."

"Little secret; we're in this gig on a part-time basis. That's right! Most of the time we're as human as, well, little sister is here," Bernie said, indicating Dawn. "And we just go apeshit every now and then. And by apeshit I'm talking in the positive sense, not the destructive one, you dig? Anyhow, that's what I call the feeling. The call of the wild, if you will. And then we just cut loose, get into nature, get away from the hustle and bustle, get away from The Man, get away from the corporatized, inorganic society of man and just run around out in God's creation, doin' whatever the hell we want."

"Yeah," the sasquatch called Frank said. "So long as we don't hurt anybody. 'Cause that's a drag, man."

"Yeah, yeah, total drag."

"So," Dawn asked, "how did you all happen to become Bigfoot, or Bigfeet?"

"Like I told vampire dude, we prefer to be called sasquatch. Or 'squatch, for short. But how did we get into this gig? Well, for me it happened a while back, when I was hiking with my buds out in the backwoods in Northern California, and it just so happened that my man Topher brought the most killer weed you ever did toke. It was local stuff, all natural, no pesticides. And man, we got tight that night, let me tell you. So, we started getting stupid. Found ourselves awake the next day, in an old Indian burial ground. We had violated sacred ground! Needless to say, we were freaking. And this old Indian dude, he comes up, and he's all like, 'Hey, you guys totally violated holy ground'. And we're all like, 'Sorry dude! We didn't mean to! We totally respect your spiritual stuff!' And he's like, 'Well, there has to be payment. You guys messed with my ancestors' spirits, and they demand satisfaction.' And we're all like, 'We're totally sorry!' And the Indian is like, 'Yeah, man, I get it, you guys didn't mean nothing by it, so I'll tell you what. I'll give you guys the chance to make things right.' Turns out the guy was an honest to God skin-walker! And he's like, 'You will become like a skin-walker, but a special kind of skin-walker. A good one, that will help defend the natural places.' And we're all like, 'Cool, cool, that's our scene anyway! What do we got to do?' And the Indian dude tells us we got to smoke peyote! And we're like, 'Man, I thought this was gonna be a punishment, instead, we're getting stoned native-style!' Well, it turns out, in order to make someone into a sasquatch you have to smoke a special pipe, with a combination of peyote, and—check this out— 'squatch scat. That's right! Sasquatch dookie! And man, that was one hell of a high. It was like the trippiest combo ever, it was better than the best acid trip I ever took. Anyway, that's how we got turned into sasquatch. True story!"

"Wow, that's not what I pictured," Scott said.

"Yeah, well, whaddaya gonna do. Anywho, what can I do you for?"

"We're looking for a tree of power," Dawn said. "Probably of dark power."

"Yeah," Scott said, "and it's going to be in the vicinity of Hibbert's Corner."

The name 'Hibbert's Corner' got the attention of the assembled sasquatches. They all looked concerned, some of them looking down at their feet.

"What? Did I say something wrong?"

"Naw, dude," Bernie said, "you didn't. It's just... Hibbert's has been real dark lately. There's been some weird shit going on down there lately. And I mean bad weird, you know?"

"Like what?"

"Well, there's the wolves, for one."

"Wolves? I didn't think there were any wolves in this part of the state."

"Not 'wolves', like, regular, natural wolves, I mean, those are a part of nature, and I'm totally behind reintroducing them to their original habitats. These wolves, there ain't nothin' right about them."

Dawn gulped. "You mean... are they like werewolves?"

"That's it! Yeah! Werewolves! And that area has been nasty with them lately. But then, that place has always had some bad mojo, you dig?"

"Oh great," Scott moaned. "Werewolves. That's not a good sign."

"But anyway, you said you were looking for a tree?"

"Yeah. An ancient tree of dark power."

"Around Hibbert's Corner? Aw, dude, I know just the tree. It's up the mountain a bit from the town. This tree has a totally evil vibe, you know what I'm saying? It ain't like any tree from around here. It's like, still growing, but it looks dead, you know? Weird, weird tree. Look, I'm all for saving the trees, but if some dude came along with a chainsaw that's one tree I would not miss at all. Why are you interested in this tree?"

"Long story. Needless to say, someone is going to use it to help bring on the end of the world. Something called Ragnarok."

"Ragnarok? Oh dude, that's heavy. Yeah, if someone needed a tree to help end the world it'd be the tree I'm talkin' about, you dig?"

"We need to find this tree. Where is it?"

"From here? It's not that far, really. You guys up for a night hike?"

*

Dawn and Scott drove to a pre-arranged location and met Bernie the sasquatch on another Forest Service road, not far outside the town of Hibbert's Corner. From there, they hiked into the woods, uphill most of the way. Scott thought that not long ago such a hike would have knocked the wind from him, as he was not in anything resembling top physical shape. But becoming a vampire more than cured that, as he now could walk for miles without discomfort or shortness of breath, or even sweating. Dawn, on the other hand, though she was young and in very good physical shape, started to find the trek tiresome, and she started becoming short of breath and sweaty, even in the cold night air. Scott offered to carry her, which she declined. Bernie offered to carry her on his shoulders, which she eventually accepted. Scott thought she looked like a little girl on her daddy's shoulders. He didn't dare mention that, however.

Soon enough, they were within distance of the tree of dark power, the possible root of Yggdrasil. They were on a low, forested ridge above an open dell that was devoid of any other vegetation save that odd-looking tree. The dark power was palpable, as a heaviness hung in the air. Scott could feel the darkness, as though it called to the darkness within him; Bernie said he felt "really bummed out". Soon, Dawn started feeling the heaviness as well, and complained that she felt weak and somewhat depressed, and this wasn't due to the hour or the exertion. Both Bernie and Scott soon noted that among the various aromas of nature that hung in the air, there was a particularly interesting odor: a wet-dog musk. This was the same odor Scott noted with Ronnie Humphries and the other three men who had earlier tried to kill Grace Montoya. It was, disturbingly, the same odor he had been noticing on his friend, Zed Mitsubishi, ever since he'd become a vampire. Even as far out as they were both Bernie and Scott felt the presence of men, and soon heard the sounds of low conversation. Before long, below them, in the dell, two men wearing black, hooded robes began setting up a circle of what looked to be wooden posts or large stakes all around that weird tree.

The tree looked to be a large lime tree, without fruit or even leaves. Scott thought that Bernie's description—looking dead, but still alive—was spot on. It certainly looked out of place among the fir and spruce trees. And it stood in the dead center of the dell, with nothing else growing around it.

"Yeah, that's it," Bernie said quietly. "Isn't that the creepiest tree you ever did see? Tell me that's not totally creepy. And dudes in hooded robes? That's never a good sign!"

"Shh! Listen!"

They listened in on the two robed men. Scott easily picked up every word they spoke.

"Hey, I need that lantern over here," one of the men said as his compatriot picked up a battery-operated camp lantern and brought it to his coworker's position.

"Does this crap really need to be done tonight?"

"That's what Knight says! Hey, when our lord says to do something I do it, and I don't whine about it. Now hand me the fucking sledge hammer."

"Yeah, I guess you're right. It's just, I want to cut loose, you know? I want the wolf to be free!"

"Yeah, well, time for that soon enough. The timeline has just been moved up. All we need is the pure wolf and the blood sucker, then we're good to go."

"It took a while to get that damn box. I hope it doesn't take long to get the other two."

"I'm sure it won't. Knight has assured me that things are in motion. It'll all be over soon."

"Let's hope so, because I'm tired of this nowhere town."

"Me, too. But think about this: soon, all the world will be ours. There! The last wedge is in place. These stakes should be secure. Ain't no Pacific storm that will knock them down!"

"Good. Now we can get out of here. Wanna go grab a beer?"

"Only if you're buying."

The two hooded men left the scene. Scott turned to Bernie. Bernie's monstrous, gorilla-like face was still able to betray concern.

"Did you get that?" Bernie asked.

"What were they talking about?" Dawn asked. "I'm not the one with super hearing here!"

"Yeah, I heard them," Scott said. "They mentioned the box, which I take to mean the box of Huginn and Muninn. Then they mentioned a 'pure wolf' and a 'blood sucker'. What could that mean?"

Scott stopped in his tracks. 'Blood sucker' was a phrase he'd heard before.

"Wait. Humphries."

"Who?" Dawn asked.

"Ronnie Humphries, one of the guys who was going to kill that deputy sheriff I told you about. He called me a 'blood sucker'."

"'Blood sucker'? As in vampire? That kind of blood sucker?"

"I assume so. Especially considering I bit him."

"You bit a guy?"

"Yeah, well, long story. Anyway, is that what they're talking about?"

"Dude," Bernie said, "I have no idea. Anyway, I'm getting a really bad vibe. This place is creeping me out big time. Let's get out of here!"

"Bernie, wait."

"Yeah, Scott?"

"You noticed that dog-like musk coming off those guys, right?"

"Oh, yeah, it was nasty. I take it you're able to smell that, too? Yeah, all wolves smell that way, at least to us non-mortals. Little sister probably can't smell it, but we can. Some gift, right?"

"Wait. All wolves smell that way?"

"Yeah. It's a tell. Now come on, before they catch wind of us!"

Scott watched as Bernie put Dawn on his shoulders once more and carried her away from the evil place. He started thinking that if that wet-dog smell meant that someone was a wolf, then Ronnie Humphries and his cohorts must have been wolves, which would explain why they were headed here. They were part of some greater plan, some plan devised by this "Knight" guy, whoever he was.

However, another thought came to his mind, just as disturbing: Why did Zed Mitsubishi have the same exact odor? Could he also be... no. No way. Not Zed.

Scott dismissed the dark suggestion as he started to follow Bernie and Dawn back into the woods. There had to be another explanation. Zed was his friend. There could be no way that Zed Mitsubishi was a werewolf.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

503K 1.2K 3
This book has been removed from Wattpad.