HIDDEN PROPHECY. (SEQUEL to D...

By ChaeWinacott

Embrie has grown from an infant to a young lady in no time at all. She resembles her mother and father, and i... More

Copyright.
Thought One. - Mr. Sexy sounding.
Thought Two. - Odd.. but nice.
Thought Three. - Party Hardy.
Thought Four. - Midnight Eyes.
Thought Six. - Honey, I'm Home!
Thought Seven. - Coffee date.
Thought Eight. - Clunk.
Thought Nine.
Thought Ten.
Thought Eleven.
Thought Twelve.
Thought Thirteen.

Thought Five. - A name to the eyes.

280 13 1
By ChaeWinacott

 I crack my knuckles in anxiety, as little butterflies swoosh back and forth in my stomach.

Why am I so nervous?

It’s probably because I’ve never worked a day in my life.

I open the door to the small costume shop, the little tin bell ‘dinging’ as I enter. Nobody is in the shop, and I can’t help to ponder why on earth they would need extra help in here…

Walking over to the back counter, I peek into the back room looking for the little salesperson, Sibbul.

“Hello? Anyone here?”

“Oh dear! Yes, right here!” I hear her familiar voice before I see her running from a room in the back. Her long, pale blonde hair flows behind her, as she rushes towards me.

Before I can say anything, she has me in a tight, but friendly embrace.

She’s so peculiar.

“You’re just on time!” She exclaims, excitingly, pulling away from me.

“Yup, three o’clock.” I say, smiling at her.

“How was school? How was your weekend? Meet anyone new? Oh! Tell me everything!” She speaks so fast that I can barely keep up.

I quietly laugh at her, taking in her interested expression.

“School was fine. My weekend was okay, nothing really happened except for on Saturday. My friend and I went to a Halloween party.”

“Oh yes! The party. Was the dress alright? Did it fit perfectly, like I knew it would?” She gushes.

“The dress was perfect.” I laugh, shoving my hands into my sweater pockets. “And I did see one person that I have never seen before, actually maybe you have seen him in here?”

Her eyebrow quirks, and she waves her hand, gesturing for me to continue.

“He, um… He was tall… and had dark hair. He was actually quite good looking, but his eyes are what I can’t get out of my head. They were so mesmerizing… even if they did look right through me.” My cheeks instantly heat up at the memory, which is etched into my mind for eternity.

Why did I just tell her all of that?

I barely know this girl…

Maybe I need more friends.

Or a diary…

“He sounds like quite the catch… But I don’t think that I have ever seen anyone that matches your description, in here. But what did you mean, by looked right through you?” She says, twirling a piece of her hair between her fingers.

“Well, uh… He was looking for someone named, Embrie. And I was practically standing in front of him. When Kirk, the guy whose house I was at, told him I was right there, he just laughed and walked away. He couldn’t see me. “ I roll my eyes at myself. “At least that’s what it seemed like. Obviously he could see me.”

“Hmm… Very interesting, very interesting indeed.”  She turns around, and looks behind her at the clock hanging on the wall. “Well, it seems that I should be going now. I’m not going to waste any time training you, because well, you’re a smart girl! All you have to do is assist customers, and work the till. When you are done your shift at nine, just turn off the lights, and close up with this key.” She hands me a small key, which I take from her and pocket.

“You’re so trusting.” I blurt out, before I even realize what I’m saying.

She smiles at this.

“You are trustworthy.” She quickly replies.

“How exactly do you know that? I mean, I’m not denying it… But you just seem so sure...” 

“Let’s just say, that I am good at reading people.” She then winks at me, and chuckles. I don’t exactly know how to take her in. She’s so peculiar, and happy and just so… know – all. 

How does one take all of that in?

“I’m off! Have a good evening, and see you tomorrow! Same time, same place!” And she’s out the door before I can even blink.

I shake my head in amusement, and bewilderment.

No training?

Okay then… I guess it can’t be that hard to run a shop by myself, with no experience whatsoever.

Ha.

Only five and a half hours to go, and I’m home free.

Until tomorrow.

I take a seat behind the counter, and look over the buttons on the till. It doesn’t seem too complicated. I mean, numbers, costumes… everything is labeled. I can do this. No need to worry.

My leg vibrates, and I realize that my phone is still in my pant pocket. Taking it out, I look at the screen to see Blake’s number.

Ugh.

            He has been trying to get a hold of me all weekend since Saturday night. He even tried to catch me in the halls at school today, but I couldn’t face him. Call me a coward, but I’m a total coward. I have no idea as to how I should react around him, and I’m absolutely terrified by the idea of how my body will betray me. I can just see myself now, quivering in anxiety and blurting out some kind of unnecessary ramble in his face.

I do not need that.

But I can’t avoid him forever… can I?

I think I like him. I definitely liked the kiss we shared, and I enjoy his company. But do I really want anything more then what we have now; more then friendship? And not only that…  I can’t seem to get someone else out of my head. Someone with incredibly dreamy eyes, and un-humanly good looks…

I slap myself on the forehead, trying to snap myself out of it.

“Didn’t that hurt?” Someone says, making me jump right out of my seat.

“Uhh-“ My head snaps up, coming face to face with Mr. Tall, Dark and Handsome. I shake my head in disbelief.

Am I dreaming?

“Nope. Can’t say that you are… Unless I am a figment of your imagination, and we really aren’t really here right now. In that case, you won’t get a headache from that heavy hand that you just hit your own forehead with a minute ago.” His voice is like velvet, caressing my skin. It instantly sends shivers throughout me.

I nervously laugh, placing myself more comfortably on the chair.

“Uh, yeah. Sorry, it’s been a long day.” I tuck a stray piece of hair behind my ear. “Can I help you with something?”

He looks me up and down, as if he’s searching for something. When his eyes come back to mine, they are soft, and oh so desirable. 

“I actually live here. In one of the back rooms.” He says, matter of factly.

“In one of the back rooms, here?”

“Yes mam, I kid you not.” His smirk is so damn cute. How am I even talking to this guy? I’m actually proud of myself for keeping my cool and calm façade up for this long.

“Why?” I ask bluntly.

He chuckles and shakes his head in disbelief.

“Well, I know Sibbul. She’s a good friend of mine. I’m not from this, uh, town. I’ve just come to find an old friend, and I’ve heard word of her being seen here.” He raises an eyebrow at me.

Who could he be looking for?

“Oh, okay. Well, who are you looking for? Maybe I know her?”

It’s not like this town is very big. Everyone pretty much knows everyone. So if this guy is looking for someone in particular, then I should know her.

“Well, I’ve never met her before. But I know her name.” He answers.

“Okay… So what’s her name?” I pry, now doodling on a post – it note. I messily write my name on the paper, etching over each letter unconsciously.

“Her name is…” He places his finger on my post – it note, continually dabbing it over my name.

I look up at him, with what I know to be a questioning and confused look.

“Her name?”

He looks down to where his finger is on the post-it note.

“My name?” Oh.

He was looking for someone named Embrie at the party… but he hadn’t paid me any attention. So what’s this all about?

“Well, if you are Embrie, then yes.” His lips turn into a big smile, and it sort of creeps me out. It’s like he’s just won the lottery, and I’m his prize.

“I am. But I don’t know you, sorry.” I shove my hands back into my pockets. “The only time I have ever seen you, was on Saturday, at Kirk’s party.”

“Ah, so you were there? Damn tricks… what am I going to do about these stupid gyp-“

“What on earth are you rambling on about? You are so strange!” I’ve had enough of this guy for one day. Nothing he says truly makes any sense. And he’s starting to give me a headache.

Maybe working here isn’t the best idea.

Maybe if I return the dress, Sibbul will let me off the hook.

“Never mind.” He shakes his head, as if the action will return his senses. I, on the other hand, am not sure if he had any sense in the first place. “Embrie, can we go for coffee after your shift is over? We need to talk about a few things.”

My eyes bulge out of their sockets, as I try to process what he has just said.

He wants to get coffee with me?

Like a date?

I mentally slap myself.

Of course it’s not a date, the man just said that he needs to talk to me about some things. But what could he need to talk to me about? I don’t know him, and he doesn’t know me. This is just weird.

Wait, I don’t even know his name.

“What’s your name?” I blurt out.

“Jones.” He replies, sharply.

I can’t help myself, but before I know it, I’m hysterically laughing.

“What in the hell is so funny?” He asks, but I can barely hear him over my own laughter.

I clutch at my stomach, and wipe away my tears from laughing. I look up at him, and he does not look impressed. His hands grip the sides of the counter tightly, his knuckles turning white.

Is he angry?

What the hell?

“Sorry. It’s just your name… Jones. Like the soda pop?” I squeak. My voice sounds five times higher then it normally does.

His mouth twists a little, like he’s suppressing the anger, and he now looks a little amused.

“You know… someone else once compared my name to the soda pop. I didn’t really find it funny then, but in this case, I suppose that I can see the humor in it.” His eyes twinkle mischievously.

“Uh, okay.” Not knowing what else to say to his reply. He doesn’t really make much sense.

“So, coffee? Nine pm?”

“Okay.” I hear myself answer, and am appalled.

What am I thinking?

“Great, meet you outside of the door at close up time.” He says, sending me a wink just before he walks to the exit, and leaves.

Bloody hell. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

280 0 20
in a world where everyone is destined for a symbol. at the age of 10, you receive a letter telling you what your symbol will be. your symbol is how y...
551K 29K 74
Emily Willows longs for passion, but only with the man of her dreams: the brilliant and dashing Edward Jones. If only her oblivious, dreaming neighbo...
243 16 12
Ariel's life isn't really easy. Even though she came from royalty, she's far from that. Join her as she goes through the trials and tribulations that...
495 15 8
"Wouldn't you kill her first if you had the chance?" "The Slayer only kills Monsters. If she kills me, then that means I'm a monster." There are mon...