HIS GREATEST BETRAYAL

By Nyanya_Writes

To her , it was his ultimate betrayal but to him , it was her redemption. ... More

All rights reserved
PROLOGUE
BOOK ONE : HOW IT BEGAN
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
BOOK THREE : SCARS OF THE PAST
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Epilogue
Author's Note
NEW BOOK ALERT!

BOOK TWO: THE ENCOUNTER

5.4K 193 10
By Nyanya_Writes

                                         Chapter 13

(Six years later)

"Elena ! Come down baby! Time for school," l yelled standing at the bottom of the stairs.

"Coming mummy!," she yelled back from her room.

Minutes later , she appeared at the top of the stairs looking cute in her little blue pre-school uniform. Today was her first day at Sunshine pre-school and she was super excited about it. She wouldn't stop talking about it all day yesterday.

I watched her with a proud smile on my face as she skipped down the stairs excitedly.

"Careful ! Careful!," l said worriedly as I caught her in my arms before stumbling on the last step.

She looked up at me beaming , showcasing her missing tooth. I felt my heart swell with love for her.

Elena was my everything !

She was my world!

She became my only reason for surviving till now.

The pain of Ferracco's betrayal exceeded the pain of my parent's death. If that was possible but it did. I felt cheated , betrayed and humiliated. I had fought almost everyone just to be with him.

I had even fought my inner premonitions that he was too good to be true. Like a fool which l definitely was , l had fallen hook , line and sinker in love with that scumbag.

When l learned that l was pregnant with that devil's child , l had wanted nothing better than to crawl in some hell hole and silently died.

But one look at her sonogram , l had immediately fallen in love with her. My heart had literally stopped when my doctor showed me her image on the small screen. Back then she looked nothing but a small pea. I never imagined something so small could grow into something so cute and adorable like a baby.

I had immediately felt a need to protect and cherish my baby. Having Elena was the best decision l have ever made in my life. I always tended to make poor decisions  like taking a business management degree only to please my father when in fact l wanted to go to an art school and secondly but most worst , falling in love with a total stranger , marrying him and then being robbed of my entire fortune.

"Mummy!"

Elena's voice brought me out of my unpleasant thoughts.

"I brushed my teeth already ," she said opening her little mouth wider to show me her little bright white teeth.

I kissed her forehead and stroked her satin cheek.

"You did great , baby. Are you ready for your first day at school?"

"YESSS!," she screamed excitedly in a high pitched voice that for a moment l was tempted to close my ears.

Elena was too energetic and clever for a five year old. I am sure at her age l was some skinny and dull kid with braces . l knew that energetic gene of hers did not come from me.

The only thing she inherited from me was her perfectly trimmed eyebrows. Elena has big blue eyes that look like crystals and long black hair.

Just like her father!

Scratch that!

Elena had no con artist and robber for a father. I was both a mother and father to my child.

Blood ties be damned!

A part of me felt happy that Ferracco never got to know Elena. In my case , that was the best possible revenge l could get.

"I am going to make so many friends," she prattled again smiling.

Every time she smiled at me , l saw a trace of Ferracco. I knew that physical things , like the colour of eyes and hair came as part of genetic package but l hadn't realised that smiles did also until baby Elena smiled at me for the first time two weeks after birth.

I pushed away the disturbing thoughts. It always made me furious to think of that bastard. I flashed my beautiful daughter a small smile instead and she gave me one of her cute little smiles.

My heart swelled again in love.

God!

She was so cute!

I wondered what l did in my previous life to deserve such a beautiful daughter.

Aunt Amira came out of the kitchen covered all over with flour . She was grinning widely while hiding something behind her back.

" Guess what l have made for you?chocolate cup cakes!," she told Elena.

A smile crept on Elena's baby face. She jumped out of my arms and raced towards Amira screaming,

"Yeeeey!"

She flung herself  around Amira's legs.

Lola came into the sitting room looking gorgeous as always in a tight yellow jumpsuit and black high heels. Her glossy black hair was pulled up into a tight bun at the top of her hair and silver earrings were dangling from each ear. She had gotten them from one her many admirers but she refused to tell me who. I suspected she was up to no good.

Anyway that was Lola for you , always wild and carefree. She has this favourite saying she used to quote every time l refused to indulge in one of her crazy adventures like sneaking into a bar using fake IDs.

"Jane , sometimes you got to let loose and play on the wild side ."

She always complained that l was too uptight for her taste.

Lola was applying makeup urgently like she was late. I snorted at her frantic efforts before saying,

"What's the use of makeup ? It will still be ruined by those steams."

Lola rolled her eyes at me and mouthed , "Damn you."

She worked at Lick It restaurant as a chef. She landed herself a great job considering Lick It was one of those upper class restaurants where rich people and even celebrities dined at.

Lola was going to drop Elena at the preschool on her way to work because her workplace was closer to the kindergarten.

Lola grabbed her handbag and Elena's little satchel. They were about to leave when l called after them.

"What about my goodbye kiss," l pouted.

Elena paused by the door and smiled apologetically at me. She ran towards me and when she reached me , l kneeled down to her level.

"Goodbye mama. I love you lots," she said dropping a kiss on my cheek.

"I love you lots too , baby ," l said as l hugged her little warm and sweet smelling body.

I closed my eyes for a brief moment savouring the warm feeling of having her in my arms. A contended sigh escaped me. She felt like home.

My only reason for surviving!

"Jane , l am going to kill you if l am late."

Lola's voice broke our little magical moment. I let go of Elena and smirked at her.

"Just admit you are jealousy," l chuckled.

"I don't have to be. I am her godmother and she loves me way more than you," she bragged.

As if to prove a point , she took one of Elena's small hand and gave her one of her sweet smiles.

"Honey , do you want to go shopping with Aunt Lola or mummy," Lola asked Elena.

Elena made a disgusted face.

"Eww! I don't want to go shopping with mummy she chooses tacky clothes," she protested.

"You see!," Lola grinned at me before walking out with Elena.

The two of them were such great buddies that l sometimes felt envious. Lola always knew the right things to buy Elena whether be it toys , dolls and clothes. It was like she lived all her life caring for babies.

Elena was a sucker of cupcakes made by Lola.

Lola would always say ,

"A way to a kid's heart is through the stomach."

She had challenged me and that's when l took cooking classes. I now cooked good food but not nearly as good as Lola and Amira.

I felt grateful for having them in my life. Amira and Lola had played a great part in bringing up Elena. After Lola left with Elena , Amira went back into the kitchen to continue with her baking.

I was left standing alone in the sitting room. I heaved out a sad sigh. Now that Elena had gone to school , the house felt oddly silent and empty.

I was missing her already.

The four of us were now living in Rio De Janeiro. After Ferracco's awful betrayal , l decided to leave Lencois forever.

The small town held too many happy and painful memories for me. I sold my family's remaining properties and my mother's valuable jewellery which had somehow managed to escape that devil's clutches.

I then bought a small apartment in Rio. As for Ferracco , the police had searched for him in every corner of Brazil but it was like the man had vanished into thin air.

A bitter laugh escaped me at the thought of him. I had to admit he did a perfect job in disguising himself as my loving husband only to strip me bare of my wealth.

He sold my father's company, my family's legacy. As if that wasn't enough, he proceeded to sell the mansion, the only home l have ever known , emptied our bank accounts and fled , only leaving his child growing inside of me.

He had lied to me and tampered with my emotions for six freaking good months. Heck ! I wasn't even sure his real name really was "Ferracco."

The man really was a devil's advocate. It made me real furious every time l recalled how well he played me .

How he had played my heart strings so well!

I felt tears pricking my eyes. I felt so guilty and furious. I failed to get justice for my family. I let him walk away for free after destroying my family .I clench my fists in anger. It made me furious at the injustice l had suffered.

Since that day, l swore that l was never going to allow anyone to break me again. I swore not to give anyone my heart. Love was a weakness and they used it against you. You gave them your heart without reserve and they only knows how to trample on it.

"Jane!"

I snapped out of my trance. 

"What are you thinking about?," Amira asked , worry lacing her voice.

I cast her a small nervous smile.

"Nothing. I am leaving for work."

I kissed her goodbye, grabbed my purse and dashed to the door.

                                          ****

My business management degree had finally came handy. I landed myself a job as a marketing manager at Glamour departmental store. It was one of those prestigious and exclusive stores that sold designer everything.

I came to know that l had another passion besides drawing and that was marketing. I loved my job but it got tiring sometimes especially during carnival seasons.

And one of those awful days was today. The store was flooded with people all day running around trying to secure a carnival custom.

I was glad when lunch time arrived. I escaped into my haven , which was my office on the second last floor. I opened my lunch box and the delicious aroma hit my nose.

Amira had packed me some cupcakes , a home grilled cheese beggar and oh yes , my favourite chicken pie.

The food at the company's cafeteria sucked so that's why l always carried a lunch box with me to work. When l was about to take a huge bite of my chicken pie , my office door creaked open and a smirking Felicia perked in.

I feigned an annoyed groan. Felicia now fully grinning opened the door wider and strolled in.

"Did you perhaps install some secret cameras in my office or it's just your food radar on full mode today," l asked her.

She threw back her head and laughed. She came forward and grabbed the chicken pie from my hand. She took a huge bite , closed her eyes and began to chew noisily making low moans.

"How can l..miss the smell of Mrs Amira's homemade pie from two doors away," she said between bites.

A smirk crept on my face. Felicia reminded me of Lola in a lot of ways. That's why l quickly bonded with her when l started working at the company four years ago.

She also worked in marketing and we were really great friends.

"Do you know you are annoying?"

She stopped eating to blink blink her eyes at me.

"But you love me all the same."

"Uggh."

"I am thinking of sneaking out of work sometime later. The new cocky boss doesn't know all of us yet. I might use a little rest . This place is crazy today," Felicia said.

I totally agreed at her. My body was already aching and it was only midday. The store closed at around six pm.

Lord save me!

My lips curled into a dangerous smirk as an idea crossed my mind. Felicia shook her head at me clicking her tongue in sympathy.

"Don't even think about it. Mr Carlton will be looking for you," she warned me.

I let out another groan. Mr Carlton was the new manager of Glamour. For some unknown reason , he favoured me a lot among other employees. It always made me uncomfortable .

"I bet the old man has a thing for you ." Felicia said

My jaw dropped open at her words.

"Felicia ! ," l cried in disbelief.

"I am only telling the truth," she said laughing.

I shook my head in disbelief.

"Why do you always have dirty thoughts?"

She laughed out loud.

"You will tell me one day. Be careful around that sneaky old bastard. I bet he has a wife or even grandchildren for that matter."

"You are crazy. Mr Carlton is only kind by nature. I doubt he will ever hurt a fly," l said only to shut up Felicia.

I never trusted another man ever again. But l was sure , Felicia was exaggerating. She was such a drama queen.

There was a knock on the door. At my cue , the door opened and Sean , one of the designers walked in. He flashed me his signature smirk. He has been doing that a lot lately and it irritated me to no end.

"Hie ladies," he greeted the both of us before sliding a file to me across the table.

"It's the accounts of this months sales," he told me leaning forward towards me which was unnecessary considering l will still hear him from every position of the room.

"Thank you," l answered awkwardly.

His blue eyes continued staring at me and l found myself getting uncomfortable.

"Mr Carlton wants to see you," he said in an icy tone and for a moment l thought l detected a trace of jealousy in his voice.

Sean has been asking me out since time immemorial but l had politely turned him down every time. The guy was too stubborn . He didn't know when to quit.

He has been leaving me flowers and love notes at my door every morning. He was a nice guy but he just didn't do for me.

How do you turn down a guy saying his blue eyes bothered you because they reminded you of a certain bastard?

I guess there was no way so the best l did was avoid him at every chance l got .

Sean walked to the door and then paused. He looked at me over his shoulder and flashed me a devastatingly beautiful smile. For a microsecond , my heart did a flip flop.

"I haven't given up , Jane. I am still waiting for you. Tell me when you are ready and l will come to you."

With that he left , leaving me a nervous wreck.

"Oh boy , that guy definitely knows his way around a lady's heart ," Felicia drawled besides me before throwing me an accusatory look.

"You have got Glamour's top hunk pinning after you and here you are acting stubborn. Cut him some slack and give the poor guy a chance," she added.

My mood always darkened whenever dating issues popped up. Ferracco had ruined my image of men. Though l knew that not all of them were lying and cheating bastards , l just wasn't ready to take another emotional risk.

Lola and Felicia had tried setting me up on many blind dates but it was pointless. Felicia left after polishing off everything from my lunch box.

l was feeling very timid as l walked down the dimly lit corridor towards Mr Carlton's office. The older man have always managed intimidate me with his hawk like eyes and undivided attention of me.

I paused at his closed office door and drew in a deep shuddering breath. My heart was beating uncomfortably. I wondered what was so urgent that he wanted to see me in his office.

Gathering my courage , l pounded on his door and a deep male voice answered from within. I turned the door knob and walked in. Mr Carlton was seated behind his mahogany desk , his nose buried in some file.

He looked up from the file in his hand and immediately a huge grin brightened his face.

"Ahh , Miss Castio. You finally came. Have a seat please," he started.

"Thank you , Sir," l answered awkwardly giving him a polite smile as l took my seat .

"Should l get coffee or tea," he asked me.

A gasp almost escaped me.

Why was he treating me like some important guest or client.

"I am fine , Sir."

He clasped his hands together and stared at me. Mr Carlton had this way of staring at me that made me uncomfortable. I wondered if Felicia was right.

But no , it couldn't be. He was almost the same age as my father if he was still alive. My heart ached a little when l thought of him. I brushed aside the painful memories and focused on what was before me.

"Sir , l was told you wanted to see me," l broke the tense silence.

My boss smiled again in that same creepy way that caused me goosebumps .

"Call me Richard. Sir makes me feel ancient , don't you think," he said with a grin.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at him. Mr Carlton was kind and pleasant but at times he made me want to pull out my hair in frustration.

"Our Summer collection is almost out. So we want Paula Advertising firm to help us market our goods. I want you to acquire a contract with them ."

My mouth gaped open in surprise.

"But Sir.."

Mr Carlton held up his hand smiling.

"Don't doubt yourself , Miss Castio. I have selected you for this project because l know you will do an excellent job of it."

I couldn't believe he assigned me such an important task. Paula Advertising firm was one of those top shot companies. Every designer clothing company strived to work with them. I wasn't even sure if l could this off. I was already feeling nervous. My boss seemed to have a lot of confidence in me.

I opened my mouth to argue again but he beat me to it.

"No excuses , Miss Castio. Now go and make preparations. I want the contract turned in by the end of this month," he said in a stern voice.

I heaved out a weary sigh. It was pointless to argue with him.

"Yes Sir."

After a terrible day at work , l flagged down a taxi to go home. As soon as l got in , l leaned back in my seat and closed my eyes. I was feeling extremely tired and l was aching all over. I couldn't wait to reach home and have my bubble bath and then Amira's delicious meal.

I sucked in a deep breath. 

Who could have imagined in their wildest dreams that Jane Castio, a once famous heiress to Castio Construction company would end up a sales manager in a departmental store!

I had a hard time adjusting to my new lifestyle the first months but for the sake of my precious daughter l had learned.

A smile crept on my face as l stared at the white teddy bear in my hands.

" Elena baby! Mummy got you a present, " l called out excitedly when l walked in through the front door of my apartment twenty minutes later.

I heard Elena's shrieks from the dinning room. She came into the hallway running. She dashed into my open arms and l hugged her tightly , pressing light kisses all over her hair.

" How was school?," l asked her.

"I got a new friend mummy. She is called Maria .....," she bubbled on endlessly, telling me about her teacher, her new friends.

" Where did you get this?," l asked curiously, touching a new hair pin in her hair.

" Uncle Claudius bought it for me. "

"Claudius!," l echoed in disbelief , suddenly feeling uncomfortable.

Elena took my hand and dragged me into the dining room. Claudius was seated next to Amira engaged in a serious conversation. I sat down besides Lola and began to dish out my food on a plate.

I forked the pasta into my mouth. Amira's cooking was always heaven. Just what l needed after a hectic day at the office.

Lola threw me a disgusted look.

"Gosh! You eat like you have been starving for centuries!"

I rolled my eyes at her and turned to Claudius instead.

" Claudius. It's nice to see you again . "

" l missed you , guys ," he said beaming.

" Claudius was just telling me that he moved to Rio, " Amira chirmed in excitedly.

I looked up at him stunned. Claudius flashed me a nervous smile.

" l got a job at Paula Advertising firm. It pays well," he interject.

My jaw dropped open at the new information. Claudius got a job at Paula Advertising firm and we were going to be working together any time soon. This was definitely not good. Claudius and l were not exactly on good terms now.

"That's great! Paula advertising firm is popular," l replied nervously.

I knew Claudius's moving to Rio had nothing to do with looking for a better paying job. He has been pursuing me for two years now. I rejected him every time telling him l wasn't ready to be involved with anyone yet. Every time   l said those words, his face looked pained. I felt guilty every time.

"Uncle Claudius come and see my drawings, " Elena said  tugging Claudius's sleeves.

" Not now honey. Your uncle and l are talking," l told her.

"I want to show him now!"

Elena continued pulling his sleeves. I sent him an apologetic smile. Elena was very stubborn when she wanted to be.

"Okay princess . let's go," Claudius told her and she jumped up and down in excitement.

Claudius carried her in his arms and trudged up the stairs to her room. Elena was laughing all the time as Claudius tickled her in the stomach. I smiled at the picture of them.

I somehow wish things had been different. I wish Elena was Claudius's daughter instead and the three of us lived happily together. I wished l never met Ferracco not even in my wildest dreams but at the same time l couldn't imagine a life without Elena.

Lola cleared her throat besides me and l turned to face her. She cocked one perfectly trimmed eyebrow at me.

"What!," l snapped at her.

I knew what she was thinking. Lola always read my thoughts like she was reading some book. She drew in a weary sigh before asking,

"Tell me the reason you are rejecting Claudius's proposal."

Amira choked on her coffee. She stared at me with widened eyes.

" Claudius proposed to you! ," she almost screamed.

I slowly nodded my head. Amira gasped out loud. Her expression then softens and a warm smile formed on her face.

" He loves you ,Jane. I can see it in his eyes. Give him a chance," she said.

I remained silent. I didn't want to talk about it now.

Aunt Amira curls her fingers around mine.

" Let go of the past. You deserve to be happy. Don't allow him to continue hurting you."

At the mention of him , l felt familiar tears pooling in my eyes but l held them captive.

" l am not ready to be in a relationships yet," l said firmly, not wanting to discuss the topic again.

A/N:

Hie guys. I hope you are excited to read this story as much as l am doing while writing it.

Pliz guys show your support by voting and commenting. Don't be silent readers.

You are my motivation for writing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8M 79.7K 64
Love. It was infuriating yet strangely addicting. It swirls in unknown waters, testing its limits before striking. The sensation of its claws diggin...
3.8K 137 34
A story filled with love, beauty, and pain. Read to find out...
118K 6K 57
[18+] [Photoframe Series Book #1]🦋 [🎖️The Fiction Awards 2020 winner] It's a new adult love story with a possessive, billionaire hero and scandalou...
1.4M 45K 50
⚠ Warning sexual content!!! ⚠ *Book 1 of the "Unexpected Lovestory" Series* She loved her husband more than her last breath. She was blinded, deafene...