Guardian (The Tower Saga, Boo...

By MartyLongson

A magical tattoo. An ancient power. One seventeen year old boy. Indy is a normal kid. That is, as normal as... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Enter the dragon
Chapter 2 - Home for a rest
Chapter 3 - The tourists
Chapter 4 - Spy kids
Chapter 5 - Breaking news
Chapter 6 - Can I keep him?
Chapter 7 - Hank's hole
Chapter 8 - Bulletproof
Chapter 9 - Frost scars
Chapter 10 - Here comes the boom
Chapter 11 - Got HAM?
Chapter 12 - The sword and the sticks
Chapter 13 - He sells egg shells
Chapter 14 - Experimental occupations
Chapter 15 - Fly boys
Chapter 16 - The growing of trees
Chapter 17 - Indy's lullaby
Chapter 18 - Last letters
Chapter 19 - Uninvited guests
Chapter 20 - Mini houdini
Chapter 21 - Going down?
Chapter 22 - Crash landings
Chapter 23 - Choosing fates
Chapter 24 - Adam's Tower
Chapter 25 - The white tree
Chapter 27 - Hades
Chapter 28 - Olympus
Chapter 29 - Atlantis
Chapter 30 - Dragons den
Chapter 31 - Questions and answers
Daniel Locke and the Tower of Eden (Complete Book with no Chapter Breaks)
Preview - Book 2 - Valkyrie

Chapter 26 - Valhalla

3.8K 123 6
By MartyLongson

The stone and wood room he stepped into was filled with large angry men. Some of them wore heavy metal armour and some wore hardly anything at all. The mass of men were busy throwing themselves up a small hill at the center of the room. Atop the hill was a monster that stood tall above them all. This creature absolutely towered over them. It was almost ten feet tall with pale blue skin and flaming red hair. Large bony tusks protruded from its lips and head. The monster had a heavily muscled frame and huge three fingered hands. It wore nothing save for a red and black leather kilt wrapped around its waist.  

Indy could see something glinting around its thick neck in the hazy light. It looked like a small golden key hung from a tight golden necklace at the base of its throat. 

Indy looked past the creature and closer at the room around him. There on the far side of the room was another large wooden door. He could see metal embossed on the door forming two crossed swords. Below the crossed swords, Indy could see a golden keyhole. 

There was the challenge. "Ok... so get the key, open the lock. That seems easy enough," he said to himself. 

Just then, a heavily armoured man thudded to the ground at his feet. The man cursed and swore before rising to his feet and dashing back towards the hill. Indy watched the man run at the monster only to be launched in another direction by a sweeping kick. 

Indy realized the beast was just toying with these people. The beast was sweeping them off the hill by the dozen with a single heavy blow. Indy watched in fascination as a warrior tried to sneak up on the creature, low and from behind. The beast picked that one up with a three-toed foot. The large blue foot pawed the earth and the man was thrown away like a ragdoll. 

The man sailed through the air and crumpled against the wall. This time he didn't rise like the others. 

No one came to the fallen warrior's aid. The others continued to assault the hill in one mindless wave. Indy raced over to the man, who was struggling to his feet. 

Indy reached down to help pull the man up to his feet. Indy looked into a single shocked blue eye as the man rose to tower over him. Long blonde hair and a longer beard covered the man's face. A giant scar cut across the left side of his face and through his left eye socket. He had a large red ruby in place of the missing eye. The man's other eye looked at him wearily. 

"Just who are ya now?" The warrior demanded. 

"My name is Indy," Indy replied with his usual grin. 

"Ye risk Odin's wrath to aid me, Indy. But thank you kindly. I'm Gammon Windsong." Gammon bowed low but stood quickly. "I must re-join the fight." Gammon moved to leave but stilled when Indy raised a hand.  

"Well," he said impatiently. "What is it?" 

"What is that monster?" Indy asked. "And where am I?" 

Gammon raised one thick eyebrow in surprise. "You're in the halls of the brave in the castle of Odin and that beast there is a berserker. We are in training for Ragnarok. Anyone that defeats the berserkers may sup with Odin and the other gods. Didn't the Valkyries tell you all this when they dropped you on the tower?"  

"No," Indy replied. "I came up a white tree, I didn't see any Valkyries." 

"Odin preserve us," Gammon swore. "You climbed Yggdrasil, the great tree of life? You are a braver man than I. But why did you risk your life to come here." 

"I am trying to save the tower of Eden. That berserker there holds a key," Indy said as he pointed to the monster. "I need that key to continue on my fight to save my people and if I fail, all my friends will die."  

"A noble quest it is," Gammon said. 

"I need your help, I don't think I can do this alone. Will you help me?" Indy asked, pointing at the mob of men surrounding the monster. 

"Aye Indy, I will help you." Gammon took a hunters horn from his thick leather belt and blew two shrill notes. The men in the chamber paused their assault to look their way. 

Gammon bellowed at his fellow warriors. "The champion of Eden and climber of Yggdrasil asks a boon of this great hall. His quest takes him from this hall through the locked portal of Valhalla. As you all know, the berserker holds the only known key. My friend here requests passage to the great beast. Shall we aid our fellow warrior in his time of need?"  

"Aye!" The warriors shouted and parted to make a wide path leading to the hill. 

Gammon walked the path of warriors at Indy's shoulder. Men bowed their heads in respect as they both passed. In seconds, they stood at the base of the hill looking up at the blue-skinned berserker. Behind him, the rows of warriors formed a ring around them. Gammon slapped his shoulder with a heavy hand as the warrior nodded and stepped away. 

The berserker leaned down to glare at Indy with a pair of dark hostile eyes. Its breath blew into Indy's face as the beast huffed its obvious disapproval of him. Its breath smelled of rotting flesh and sour wine. The beast stood up to its full height and bellowed a challenge at him. Indy prepared to move but something was nagging him at the back of his mind. Instead, he started to circle the base of the hill, trying to buy his brain time to think.  

Indy worked his shoulders trying to loosen them up when it finally dawned on him what was wrong. Gammons slap had stung. It was a small pain but... the dragon tattoo was not protecting him. The realization came too late. Large three fingered hands reached down from above to grab him. Air rushed by his face as the berserker lifted him high over its head.  

Indy looked down on the berserker's fiery red hair and down further to the giant warriors surrounding the base of the hill. A hush filled the room as Indy looked down among the warriors. He found Gammon's one eye looking back up at him. Gammon smiled and nodded at Indy. His one good eye winked. 

Hope flooded Indy as Gammon raised a hand and dropped it. The berserkers grip relaxed slightly as it realized what was about to happen. 

"Charge!" Shouted Gammon.  

The ring of warriors around the hill flooded forward. Indy reached down the berserkers face to grab hold of one of its long tusks. With a tremendous heave, Indy pulled it, as the berserker started to kick at the rushing warriors. Several men had grabbed hold of the beast's giant legs and tried to bring it down. The berserker released its hold on Indy as it tried to swat the warriors off its legs. Indy was left to dangle from one long tusk. For a moment, the key was at his eye level. A furious shake of the berserkers head caused Indy to slip and almost let go of his hold.  

Indy struggled to maintain his grip as he was flung back and forth. For an instant, the beast's head stopped moving and the key swung around its neck in front of him. Seizing the chance Indy grabbed for the key with both hands.  

Indy landed heavily on the hill but didn't have time to stop and catch his breath. A three-toed foot stomped down and kicked him backwards through the press of bodies. He soared over their heads and landed hard against the stone wall. Indy lay there panting and out of breath. Pain flooded through his right arm and shoulder from smashing into the wall. A dark shadow suddenly blocked the light from the room and rough hands seized him and lifted him back onto his feet. 

"Well done, well done indeed," Gammon said. "We almost had him that time." 

Indy held up one fist. When he opened his hand, a small gold key lay on his palm.  

Gammon gave a little bow. "A fine fought battle my friend. But my battle still rages on. Until we meet again. Good luck." The warrior turned and sprinted back to the hill. 

Indy turned from the lopsided battle to regard the door that was decorated with a silver circle and crossed with two swords.  

The small keyhole accepted the gold key and turned with a soft click. Indy left the battle raging behind him and stepped through the door. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87 1 22
Eight centuries before Salidar thulu-Khant's reign, the world was much different. Technology, not magic, defined the world, though political machinat...
870 171 16
Once my mum held unrivaled fame and power as a guild member, commanding respect across the world. Then, unexpectedly, my parents left London for the...
50K 2K 21
This story is written in English, my first language, the title is the only thing that isn't. [Featured on Wattpad @ Best of Outreach - Hidden Gems] C...
The Raven Tattoo By Bri

General Fiction

218K 9.9K 33
Imagine living in a world where you're "soul mate" is super easy to find. A world where they already know what to look for and so do you. Because you...