Worst Impressions

By ClarissaNorth

A 'Pride and Prejudice' Remix. Beth Bennett, a poor girl in a fancy boarding school, faces class prejudice an... More

Author Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Chapter Sixty Seven
Author Note
Bonus Cast List
Bonus Chapter - Darcy Prepares for the Party
Bonus Chapter - Darcy in the Rain
Bonus Chapter - Darcy Sees Wickham
Bonus Chapter - Darcy and Wickham Meet
Bonus Chapter - The Coffee Shop
Bonus Chapter - Before the Birthday Party
Bonus Chapter - Asking Beth to Dance
Bonus Chapter - Darcy Dances
Bonus Chapter - Switzerland
Bonus Chapter - Darcy Arrives in Paris
Bonus Chapter - Darcy and Beth Reunited
Bonus Chapter - Famille ou Amour?
Bonus Chapter - Punching Freddie
Bonus Chapter - The Confession
Bonus Chapter - Oh, shit.
Bonus Chapter - Meeting at Pemberley
Bonus Chapter - Meeting the Surfers
Bonus Chapter - Beth meets Mandy
Bonus Chapter - 'I've always thought so.'
Bonus Chapter - Dinner with the Darcys
Bonus Chapter - Alone in the Garden
Bonus Chapter - The Cliffs
Bonus Chapter - The Phone Call
Bonus Chapter - Arriving in Italy
Bonus Chapter - Forming the Plan
Bonus Chapter - Splitting Up
Bonus Chapter - Confronting Gideon
Bonus Chapter - Taking the Blame
Bonus Chapter - Confessing to Charlie
Bonus Chapter - Madame Courtenay's Visit
Bonus Chapter - Prom
Bonus Chapter - The Wedding
Bonus Chapter - Ten Years Later
Amazon Prime Video; Panic - Bonus Chapter

Chapter Forty

4.6K 364 49
By ClarissaNorth

A few stern words from my mother were nothing compared to the blazing row I'd had with William. Neither of us spoke when we arrived. He barely even looked in my direction during my dressing-down. When I went to bed, I was glad of some time alone. At least, I was alone until the early hours when Georgia crawled back into my bed. I didn't dare to talk to her about what had happened. I didn't want anyone to know that such a creep had been interested in me.

After all the things William had said, I saw that Wyatt wasn't all that bad in general. I still wouldn't choose him even if he were the last man on the planet. I'd much rather be with Freddie. The only downside to Frederick Lambert was that he and William were related. There'd be no avoiding the boy if I were in a relationship with his cousin.

Perhaps it was time that I swore off boys and committed to a life of celibacy.

'What are you doing?' Georgia asked when she finally stirred in the morning.

I was on my knees in front of my case, folding my clothes neatly, happy to be back in my comfortable jeans instead of the dress Freddie had bought me. I intended to keep the outfit as the sole reminder of the few pleasant moments I'd enjoyed in Paris, but I fully intended to leave everything else behind, including William Darcy.

'Packing. I'm going to see Dad for a few days before school starts.'

'Our flight isn't until –'

'I know. I can't be here, Georgia. Not without committing a major crime or an international incident. You can stay on if you want.'

'No way,' she said. 'If I have to spend another day with Wyatt's sweaty hand holding mine, I'm going to freak out.'

I smirked. 'I told –'

'Don't even say it.'

'Come on, you have to let me have this one. I knew he was no good for you.'

'At least I tried to like him,' she said. 'But yes, you were right. So, I'll go back with you. That way your Mum won't be so mad at us. Do you want me to tell her it was my idea?'

'Good plan,' I said. 'If she thinks that I'm just trying to rebel, she'll try to play the strict parent and demand that we stay.'

'I'll break up with Wyatt while I'm at it. I don't want him coming back thinking we're a thing.'

It was a productive morning. For Georgia, at least. She wasn't at all gentle in dumping Wyatt. He didn't appear to accept it at first. When she slapped him, he finally got the message. I didn't laugh, no matter how much I wanted to. I was still reeling from my night out and the way William had treated me.

Mum wasn't happy with us abandoning her and her new husband, not when she was trying to prove that she was happy with the pompous old fart. When I made it sound like I was accompanying Georgia as a responsible friend and reminded her of how influential and important Georgia's family were, she came around to the idea of us flying without supervision.

Freddie offered to drive us both to the airport. When we left the house with our luggage in tow, he was leaning against his car in a pair of dark sunglasses.

'Hungover?' I asked.

'You have no idea. How are you not?' he grumbled. 'You had twice the amount I did.'

'I had a sobering shock before I went to bed. Helped to get it out of my system.'

I contemplated telling both Georgia and Freddie what had been said in the hopes of cheering them both up, but I stopped myself just as William left the house. Silently, he took our cases and loaded them into the car. I couldn't tell if he wanted to be helpful or wanted to hint that we should hurry and leave. Without a word to any of us, he finished the task and stalked back into the house, slamming the door behind him.

Drama Queen.

During the journey to the airport, Georgia and Freddie talked animatedly in the front seat while I hugged my cramped legs in the back. Paris flew past us and soon we were surrounded by busy roads and countryside. The farther we were from the house and William Darcy, the better I felt. If nothing else, the trip had made me realise that William and I were from entirely different worlds, and I had as little interest in occupying his as he did mine. I was happy to remove myself from him, his society, and anything else so totally out of my reach.

Freddie and I, at least, parted as friends at the airport. The closest we came to affection was a kiss on the cheek and a promise that we wouldn't be strangers. It wasn't a promise I was sure that I could uphold. I intended to follow a more realistic path in life from that point onwards. The moment that I was out of school I would be a normal, average girl again, and I couldn't see Freddie being a part of that life. I would regret the end of our friendship forever, but I needed to let him go along with everyone and everything else.

England was wet, grey, and everything I thought it would be. The airport was busy with people heading home after visiting relatives overseas, all returning from more tropical climates to the dismal reality of their lives. Georgia and I made our way through baggage claim and security in relative silence, both emotionally and physically exhausted from our time in France. At the taxi rank I asked, 'Do you want to come and stay a few days? Talk about stuff.'

'I shouldn't. But, thanks.'

'See you at school?'

'Definitely.' Georgia hugged me tight and then climbed gracefully into the waiting cab.

I headed back inside the airport to catch a train from the underground station. The cost of a taxi from London to Cornwall would be enough to put me into debt until I retired. Rail tickets weren't much better, but at least I had enough cash for one of those. I found an empty seat and sank into it. The one beside me was soon occupied by a man who fell asleep almost as soon as his backside was in the chair, so there was no danger of conversation with a stranger.

I scrolled through my address book until I found Dad's number. He picked up after a few rings; he'd probably been in the middle of working instead of closing up for the holidays like any sane person would. I cleared my throat and said, 'I'm on my way home.'

'You're early.'

'Gold star, Dad. I know. Paris sucked.'

'Your mother won't be happy with me.'

'She'll get over it. Anyway, she paid for my flight change. It's fine. I need to wash stuff before I go back to school, anyway. Have you got anything in for dinner?'

'Er...'

'Order a pizza or something. I'll go shopping tomorrow.'

'Okay, I'll see you in a few hours. Do you want me to meet you at the station?'

'I'm fine. I can walk.'

'I can send one of the boys, if you'd rather...?'

I'd had enough of boys to last me a lifetime.

'No thanks. See you later, love you.'

'Love you too, Elly-bear.'

Idiot.

Still, I was looking forward to a few days of peace. My phone beeped at me before the screen went black. I should have charged it, but I'd been too preoccupied to do anything that sensible. I dug around in my bag for a charger when an envelope dropped onto the train floor. Deciding it was potentially more interesting than anything happening on social media, I pushed my phone into my bag and picked up the letter instead.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7M 149K 31
Mia Gibson and Hunter James were always meant to be. But dating the star quarterback that was destined to be in the NFL was not easy. Especially when...
16.5K 792 12
This story is about two siblings who love each other alot but one of them little, what will happen when other will find out about it, will he hate th...
52.5K 1.4K 12
Masrur X Oc I started with nothing. so lived with nothing.. I expected nothing so I got nothing.. that was until I got something.. once you have some...
453K 16.9K 44
[COMPLETED] "Why people would ever choose to sleep with someone as vexatious as you is beyond my imagination," I scoffed. "Careful." He smirked. "It...