My Life In Pieces (Book #1)

By KatherineJones92

This slice of life novel follows fifteen year old Alex Harrison. Alex has just had her world broken into jagg... More

Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Playlist

Chapter 9

34 11 14
By KatherineJones92

"Hey Momma Jordan."

"Baby girl! I feel like it's been ages since I've heard your sweet voice. Are you all ready for school?"

I sat alone on my bed, thankful to finally see her face and not just hear her voice. It had been almost a week since we had actually gotten to FaceTime. I wasn't sure how much to tell her about the last few days.

"I think so. I'm really nervous though. It's weird going to school this late. Everyone in Dallas has been back for weeks!"

Her motherly smile comforted me. "You'll make it. I'm sure you're gonna make a whole batch of new friends up there. And why are you complaining about a longer summer?"

I missed that southern twang. I hadn't let on to her how easily I was adjusting here. I thought it would hurt her if she saw I was happy even without her around.

"Because it is September and I am ready to get started already! Ughhh." I just let it go. No point in arguing over the Canadian School System. "How's Elyse?"

"She's great, she and Colin are looking at moving in together. She misses her little sister though. Patrick misses you too."

Patrick hadn't exactly been trying to talk to me a lot. I wasn't sure what had crawled up his butt and died.

"How is Patty Cakes?"

"He's doing okay. He has some new little girl he is talking to, taking up all his time. You know how he gets when he meets a new girl." She started to laugh and I tried not to cringe.

My heart hurt a little to hear about life going on without me there. I wasn't sure why it bugged me that Patrick having a girlfriend was why he probably wasn't answering my texts or SnapChats. I felt so split. I was finding it easier to be in this place thanks to my cousins and Ari but I was still dying to hug my family back home. Where was home really any more? We talked until Dad called upstairs to make sure I was getting ready for bed. She scowled when she heard his voice. It hit me that I hadn't been calling him by his first name any more. It made me sad to see Jordan's face scrunch up like that. I quickly said my goodnights to her and then got ready for bed and tried to sleep.

I tossed and turned for most of the night. My nerves kept me up and when I did finally fall asleep I dreamt about a prison called Canadian High School.

The next morning I was in the principal's office taking a placement test. It was mildly comforting that it was Mrs. Stone's office. I wondered why she hadn't gone back to her maiden name. I yawned as I handed her the test. School didn't start for another hour but I had already been here two for that stupid test. Apparently, I had to prove to Toronto that I could hack it in my own grade level. Principal Stone came in with my results twenty minutes after I had finished. She seemed like she could easily switch between the quiet woman I met at the barbecue and a drill sergeant.

"So Miss Harrison the results have come out rather well."

Great. I wouldn't have to repeat the ninth grade?

"I reviewed the transcripts you faxed over a few weeks ago. I saw that you took AP World Geography in Dallas."

"Yes Ma'am. I was supposed to take AP World History this year."

She smiled, " Students usually take Issues with Canadian Geography here. I am working to see if we can substitute your class in since it was still a Geography class and not even a localized one. You are required to take World History in both Canada and Texas as you mentioned. The students here though don't normally take it until Year Eleven."

"History for us was World Geography, World History, US History, and then we had to take a semester of Government and a Semester of Economics."

"So the students take in grade ten a World Studies class and then a Social Science class in Grade eleven and finish out with another World Study in Grade 12. They might take another Social Science Class though in Grade 10 if they aim to pursue a career in it one day."

"World Study? Social Sciences?"

She thought for a moment, "I think you call them a collective Socials Studies."

I nodded sheepishly.

Mrs. Stone only smiled back understandingly, "For Mathematics students take a semester of Principles of Mathematics- Academic and then a semester of Foundations of Mathematics- Applied for the first two years and then they can work on more specific functions. You placed quite high in sections of that one."

"For Math they made us take this placement test in 5th grade to tell you if you could start with Pre-Algebra in 7th grade and Algebra 1 in 8th grade. Then you started with Geometry when you were a freshman, Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus, and Calculus your senior year. "

"So that is why you already had some basic knowledge of sections we don't cover until year ten. The students first two years you will find, follows a broader path. It allows students to get samples of various forms of the Mathematic and Science routes they might want to take in their second two years here. I think the only trouble you will have here is remembering to do your conversions into the Metric System."

I blushed slightly, "Yes Ma'am. I have been practicing since I found out I was coming here. It is still tricky to me though."

"I think you will do fine once you get into a rhythm."

I nodded. "What about my English scores?"

She smiled and said, "A lot of our international students do not speak English their first language. Since you are from the States though, this was obviously a non-issue for you. You passed your TSOL portions with flying colors. You actually made perfect scores on your Writing, Grammar, and Reading Comprehension Portions. That is not an easy task for even native English speakers, young lady. You are obviously very gifted in the Language Arts field. I spoke briefly with your counselor while she was putting your schedule together. We both agreed that you need to be placed in a dual credit preparation English course. This will allow you to take dual enrollment classes next year and your senior year."

"So this is like an AP class but with college credit?"

"The class I recommended you for is even more advanced than most AP classes. It is a class where grades ten through twelve are taught together and they work on a college level material. It is coded as a preparation class for grade tens and then for dual credit the students final two years. Think you can handle that?"

I nodded my head emphatically, "Yes ma'am."

English had always been my favorite class. I just hoped I knew a few people in it.

"Now Alexandra, I want you to understand something about our school. Riverside Collegiate Institute is a closed program. We only allow enrollment for students going from grades eight to grade nine. Afterwards we almost never take in new students."

"Then why are you allowing me in?"

She smiled, "A plea was made on your behalf by your Aunt. She informed me privately about the changes happening for you at home and why it would be in your best interest to be in a school with your only family members in the country. I was able to get the school board to agree."

Aunt Claire had told her about Jordan and Dad? Seriously?

"I did not discuss with them all of the details. I don't want you to think the adults were just going around discussing all of your private information."

I nodded in acknowledgment but remained quiet.

I saw a pained look in her eyes for a moment before she spoke, "You know my own children are going through a similar situation?"

I didn't want to let on how much Elle had told me so I simply said, "I know Mr. Stone remarried because of who he was there with at the barbecue."

She nodded, "So needless to say, if I can help another child adjust to an environment when I know they are going through the same frustrations that my own children are, I will. You let me know if you need anything Alexandra."

"You can call me Alex."

I saw her eyes get slightly more professional and a lot less emotional. She was in Principal Stone mode now. "Very well then, Alex, would you like a tour before school starts?"

"Thank you, that would be helpful." Ari was supposed to do that but I didn't want to be rude.

"My son Declan can give you one now."

A few minutes later a boy with light mocha skin, hazel eyes, and a completely preppy outfit on, came in. I tried not to giggle as I took in the pink polo with blue sweater over it, and khaki pants with loafers. This was very different than the boy I saw at the BBQ.

"Hey Alex. I'm Declan, in case you didn't remember my name", he said as we walked out of the office.

"Hi Declan. I remember you. Can I ask you something?"

He looked puzzled, "Sure."

"Is there a dress code that I was unaware of?"

"No why?"

"Just curious."

Oh dear Lord this was going to be painful. He seemed to want to show me every inch of the school. There were kids everywhere. They seemed fascinated; staring at what I hoped was his outfit and not me. Principal Stone mentioned new students weren't admitted after they were a freshman. I had a feeling new faces were not that common around here. Especially when they did not look like baby-faced freshmen. I was trying to find James so that I could escape this guy and all the wondering eyes that seemed to follow us. Just my luck, James was nowhere to be found.

I just needed a familiar face. Someone to save me. A familiar set of blue-gray eyes came into view.

Ari. Thank God.

He was leaning against the lockers talking with a few kids I didn't recognize and Aaron. Ari walked away from his friends with a good bye nod as we got closer. I wanted to flee to the safety of his arms with all of these unfamiliar faces around me. I felt my lungs start to ache.

Fucking panic attack.

I hadn't had one in a few weeks. The familiar cloud was coming over my vision though and I was finding it hard to concentrate. I needed air.

I tried not to show how anxious I was getting when Ari stopped Declan in mid-sentence. "Hey Declan, can I take over Alex's tour?"

"My mom will get pissed if I don't show back up with her."

He smiled a mischievous grin, "Just meet us back in the office in ten minutes."

He looked at me, "That okay with you Alex?"

I nodded my head a little too eagerly. I needed out of there, now.

Declan left us and Ari held out his hand. "Shall we?" I smiled and took his hand in mine. He laced his fingers in mine and we walked down the next hall. I looked up at him, taking in the view. He wore familiar looking black jeans and a band t-shirt. I was beginning to sense a theme with him. A small earring was now in his ear. I wondered if there was one in the other.

Did he have that at the barbecue? I felt like I would have noticed that.

His voice snapped me back to the present. "So did Declan drive you nuts with facts about the school?"

I tried not to sound rude, "Let's just say I was very happy when I saw you."

He laughed. "Always willing to rescue a lady."

I giggled. I looked around and noticed we were finally in a hall that was deserted. It was a blessed relief to finally not be in a sea of people. Ari stopped like that was exactly what he had been looking for too. He looked around to see if we were in the clear then handed me an AirPod out of his jacket pocket.

What are you up to?

I placed the little cordless headphone in my ear and watched Ari do the same. A moment later, a song I remembered hearing Train Station play filled my ear. It was the one that played when I tripped into Ari's arms. I smiled at the memory of Ari wrapping his arms around my waist. I felt those familiar hands do just that again. I laughed now and wrapped my hands around his neck. We slowly swayed to the beat. I felt Ari start to change his hips from a swaying to grinding. I was more surprised that my own hips followed suit. When the song ended we stood still clinging to each other. I could tell we were both out of breath. I quietly handed him back the AirPod letting the moment end so that we could circle back to the office. Ari handed me over to Declan and said he would see me soon. Declan's mother gave me my schedule and I was off to class.

I held my breath and walked in just as the late bell was ringing. The only seat left was on the front row next to the teacher's desk.

Fabulous.

Danny Flores and Miri Mason were arguing about whether or not they should stay broken up. Like that shouldn't have been a clue if they were arguing about whether or not to stay together.

Why are freshmen in this class?

I really wanted to tell them to go get a room to work out this frustration. Luckily the teacher, Mr. Irvin, quieted the room and began class. We did the usual math review to see what we remembered and I had to use a conversion chart, as if math wasn't hard enough.

That got Danny's attention. "Why do you have to use a conversion chart?"

I blushed a little bit. "We have a different system back home."

He laughed a little bit, "I am going to guess the southern United States? Where are you from?"

"Texas... Is it that obvious?"

"Yeah, you have a little bit of a southern drawl."

I rolled my eyes to hide my embarrassment. "Great. I feel like I am on exhibit enough."

He shrugged, "I think it's cute, I'm Danny by the way."

"Hey. I'm Alex Harrison."

The last name clicked instantly in his head. "Wait you were at the barbecue the other night right?"

Miri eyes widened a little bit, "You were there?"

"Yep. You two were in your own corner most of the night."

"I swear I would have noticed a new person there." Miri added.

You're not the brightest crayon in the box are you, Darlin'?

"I was in the back corner with Elle, Aaron, and Ari for a while and then I was literally the only girl playing football for almost two hours."

She still looked like she had no memory of this. How caught up in herself could she get?

"I thought that was Laura?"

I tried not to look annoyed.

Danny tried to ease the mood a bit. "James told us you were coming to live here. He wasn't sure what classes you'd have though."

"Yeah they just gave me my schedule right before class."

Danny added, "Dylan also told the football team this morning at practice that he would kick their asses if they so much as looked at you the wrong way."

Miri chuckled, "James told me to warn the band kids too."

I rolled my eyes. So my cousins made sure no guy would come within ten feet of me? Wonderful. "I am going to kill them."

Miri smiled, "I think it's sweet that your cousins are so protective. I am Miriam by the way, you can call me Miri."

She liked to get personal fast, "I'm Alexandra but you can call me Alex lol."

"Cool. What do you have next?" I showed them both my schedule. "You have Science with Elle."

Danny added in, "You have Physical Education with Ari. We were comparing schedules this morning."

YES!

I raised my eyebrow, "Do they have a lot of classes with mixed grade levels?"

Danny shrugged, "A lot of the electives are mixed up. Classes like this can get mixed. We took summer courses so that we could have more electives during the school term.

Miri looked closer, "Hey they messed up and put you in Grade Eleven English."

I cringed slightly, "No, I tested out of 10th grade English."

They gawked for a moment, looking at me like I was an alien, then we went back to talking about the school. When the bell rang they walked on either side of me, not bothering to speak to one another as we headed to whatever this science class was supposed to be.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

210 20 15
17 year old Alex Cadwell never expected to find love at her new summer job, but when Chloe Stephens walks in the door, everything changes. Their conn...
207K 2.9K 16
Age gap series #1 (WILL BE BACK WITH PART 2 SOMETIME SOON) ____________ Angel Thomas: An eighteen-year-old high school student who happened to fall i...
6.3K 166 14
✎ | HOCKEY SPORT ROMANCE (Beaumont boys #1) " I don't know how to explain it, Xander. B-but when I am with you I just feel like the rest of the worl...
Seven Sins By L

Teen Fiction

669 75 24
When Yara's father takes a second chance at love and remarries, she finds herself facing an unexpected challenge. Suddenly, she must learn to support...