Hunter: Gods & Monsters

By ellarose12

Vampires have Slayers. Werewolves have Trackers. Everything else has a Hunter. ____ A lot can happen... More

31st March 2014
Chapter 1
1st April 2014
Chapter 2
1st April 2014
Chapter 3
4 April 2014
Chapter 4
5 April 2014
Chapter 5
7th April 2014
Chapter 6
8th April 2014
Chapter 7
20th April 2014
Chapter 8
26th April 2014
Chapter 9
11th May 2014
Chapter 10
13th May 2014
Chapter 11
13th May 2014
Chapter 12
16th May 2014
Chapter 13
17th May 2014
Chapter 14
31st May 2014
Chapter 15
2nd June 2014
Chapter 16
2nd June 2014
Chapter 17
3rd June 2014
Chapter 18
10th June 2014
Chapter 19
12th June 2014
Chapter 20
20th June 2014
Chapter 21
23rd June 2014
Chapter 22
30th June 2014
Chapter 23
2nd July 2014
Chapter 24
3rd July 2014
Chapter 25
3rd July 2014
Chapter 26
4th July 2014
Chapter 27
A Long, Long Time Ago. . .
Chapter 28
4th June 2012
Chapter 29
6th July 2014
Chapter 30
6th July 2014
Chapter 31
July 2014
Chapter 32
7th July 2014
Chapter 33
8th July 2014
12th July 2014
Chapter 35
19th July 2014
Chapter 36
22nd July 2014
Chapter 37
23 July 2014
Chapter 38
9th August 2014
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
A long, long time ago...

Chapter 34

791 77 12
By ellarose12

Alfie and I stood outside my parents house. I could see Mum through the kitchen window, and watched as she went about her day. She made herself a cup of tea, cut a slice of cake and moved to sit at the table. There was music playing, I couldn't quite hear it from where we were and as Alfie nudged my side, I looked away.

"I'll be back soon, I promise." I kiss between his eyes which makes his tail shake. "Go tell Annipe about your adventure."

He nods, and I wait until I can't see him anymore before going in.

It's warm and smells like coconut mixed with the sweetness of whatever baking Mum had been doing. Coldplay is loud in the living room, and I turn it down slightly as I pass the stereo.

"That you love?" Mum calls. "Your back early."

"It's just me, Mum." I answer.

I hear the fork clang against the plate right before her chair falls over. She rushes over, faster than I've seen her move in a long and I'm nearly tackled to the floor as she hugs me tight. I hold her back much the same and after a lot of tears later, she sits me at the table, makes coffee and pushes over a slice of cake. It's still warm.

"How are you, Elise?" She asks; her eyes wide and glossy. I don't miss the way her hands are shaking as she takes a sip of tea. "I'm so glad you're home. I knew you would be alright, and here you are back already!"

"Yeah, about that," I hesitate. "I'm not back. Not yet. It's a little more complicated than what I thought it would be, but I wanted to come and let you know I'm okay. You don't have to worry."

"Oh darling, I will always worry." She laughs nervously. "Did you want to talk about it?"

"No. Maybe. Well, long story short, with their stupid rules of succession or something, because I killed the last ruler, it means I automatically get to be Queen. I'm in the process of getting out of it and until that all settles, I need to be there." I talk fast, hoping she doesn't catch most of it.

"Ailin said you were to be queen. Portia went to see her, and told her the war was over."

"She did?" The suspicion was obvious making Mum frown.

"They are keeping in touch regarding everything going on over there. It was nice to get frequent updates." I try not to feel guilty, and let it slide. "Is something wrong?"

"Did she say anything else?"

"Not that I know of." Mum turns serious. "Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, of course." I force a smile. "I hadn't known that's all. I briefly stopped by Raya's and Penny was there. They never mentioned anything."

"Did Penny show you her dress?" Mum instantly asked, taking the bait.

"No, she didn't get a chance to. I wasn't there long."

I'd never been more thankful for a change of subject as, like my friends, the excitement and anticipation for the upcoming wedding seemed to be dominating my mother's thoughts too. While I did care, I didn't right now and as four samples of what was essentially, the same shade of green was put in front of me as each had their own pros and cons, I reached my limit.

"It's going to be amazing and this all looks great Mum." I finally said as she waited for Penny's pinterest board to load. Flowers. Dresses. Shoes. Cakes. Colours and Don't Lists flooded the screen. "I really do have to go."

"Already?" She frowned, closing the laptop quickly. "I didn't upset you did I? Penny mentioned she saw you and Apollo at her engagement party and with all-"

I try not to roll my eyes and fail terribly.

"Mum, no. We went over this before. She was drunk and had no idea what she saw at that party. The wedding is going to be amazing, but I told you this was just a quick stop. Alfie is back though, he'll be around to keep an eye on things here."

And on Portia if she decides to turn up, but I don't say that part out loud.

"I know love, sorry. Thank you for coming. Your Dad will be sad he missed you." She hugs me again. "You sure you can't stay for tea?"

"I really can't." I hesitate. "If Portia comes by, just, maybe not tell her I was here. I don't want anyone thinking I'm skipping on my royal duties before I drop the news of my replacement."

"Of course, this can be our secret." She smiles, yet it doesn't reach her eyes. I can tell she wants to say something, only she doesn't.

"Mum."

"You let me talk too much about the wedding. I should have known better, you've just been avoiding talking about yourself. What is really going on? Is it Apollo?"

"No, it's not him. We're something like friends, well, maybe we will be." Her arm goes over my shoulders and we move to the sofa.

My head rests on her shoulder as she lightly rubs my back. It's nice and I'm not ready to go back to face my current reality. Even with the newest revelations on just how ridiculous my life now seemed to be, nothing had changed only something had. The enormity of my actions, of the power the Fates had, on just how little say we had over the big picture had finally hit. Again, that wasn't new information, and Hecates didn't believe it was so final. Every action has its own reward and consequence.

"What is it then, love?" Mum pushes.

"This journey, my life, even my-" I shook my head. "I don't know if I'm even doing the right thing anymore or if I'm just looking for trouble."

"What does your gut tell you?" She asked softly.

"I thought here is where I am supposed to be. I want to come back home, but now I'm not so sure." I admit. "If I do, I don't want to leave my friend at risk of having to face the consequences of my actions. I've done a lot of things lately to piss off some very powerful people."

"Does your friend know this?"

"Yes. It's all been so rushed, I don't think either of us has really understood what it will mean."

"Is your friend-"

"If you say Apollo, I'm leaving right now." I warn.

"I was going to say Kara, that nice Valkyrie?" She answers, pausing the back rub.

"Oh. Yeah."

"I feel she knows exactly what she is doing, as do you Ellie." Mum looked thoughtful for a moment. "You've always marched to the beat of your own drum. It's given me more of these grey hairs than I'd care to admit and too many sleepless nights. I'd wished many times you were more like I was at your age or even your brother only, then you wouldn't be you and not having you around would be even worse. I don't know what is really going on, but don't let someone else have this kind of power over you. You are much too brilliant to let them dull your sparkle."

"So you're telling me that I should-"

"I'm not telling you anything. It never works out well for us when we try." She laughs. "Stay for dinner. Think it over, now you're home it might give you a different perspective."

I sit up, tucking a leg up underneath me as I face her. "Nice try. I can't, not tonight."

"Despite how you feel about everything, right now, I also have my own beliefs. I believe people come into our lives when they are meant to and for a reason. Your friend is a perfect example of that. That reason is only yours to discover. She came when you needed her, so maybe this is what she needed you for?"

"There is a reason why they think you should be their queen, and I have never been prouder of the woman you've become." She smiles, for real this time and so do I.

"Thanks Mum."

"Go. We'll talk more when you come home, alright?" Her eyes become glossy all over again and I leave before she starts to cry.

I wiped my own eyes as I found Hermes, sitting on a sunbed watching the sunset over Santorini. Their world was beautiful, but so was mine and I knew I was doing the right thing.

"Everything okay?" Hermes asked, though I didn't think he actually cared.

"Yeah." I sit down beside him, and he passes me a cocktail that mirrors his own. "Thanks."

"You look like you need it." A tissue appeared next.

"I don't look that bad do I?"

"No, but I hate when women cry." He shrugged, lowered his sunglasses and went back to the sunset.

His frosty behaviour clearly hadn't improved. When I'd asked him to bring me he'd been less than enthusiastic with this being the most conversation we'd had. I decided to keep it going to at least try and work out what his problem was with me this time.

"You were made to close off all the ways here, but can you undo it?" I ask a few minutes later. "Make it easier to travel between our realms again."

"Some will be easy enough. It may be simpler just to make a new gateway or two. I'm tired. I won't be able to do it right away." He mumbled.

"What if you had help?"

"No one can." The suggestion seemed to offend him.

"Aion is a time traveller, and able to go between the realms." I'm thinking out loud, and Hermes groans beside me.

"That wonder boy. Has he even reached puberty yet?" He snorts. "I'll do it. When I'm ready. Not even the boss yet and already making demands."

"You seem even grumpier than usual. Are you okay?" Hermes looks at me and shakes his head.

"Mind your own business." I put my hands up in surrender, which makes him finish his drink, and a refill that much quicker. "You want to know what's wrong with me? You. You are what's wrong. You just come into our world, take over, and do you even show any remorse for what you did?"

"Hermes-" I say calmly.

"And then you start all that nonsense about not even staying? I should just leave you here now and save everyone else the trouble of dealing with you further."

"You actually want me to stay?"

"I didn't say that." He huffs. "Trouble follows you. You will be a curse on our land."

"Tell me what you really think then, Hermes."

He took it literally.

"Cain wasn't perfect. None of us are, that includes you. His life was not easy, and I actually thought that night when I saw you together, that maybe, just maybe, you weren't as dreadful as I initially perceived you to be and some good may come from you returning." I opened my mouth to speak and he held up a finger. "Artemis is blinded by her faith in Apollo, but once they all see who you really are, you will be gone like all the rest. I hope you meet Cain again in the Underworld"

"That isn't going to happen." I sigh. "He'd have to be there in the first place and-"

"Hades would have given him somewhere to rest. At least until you permit us to give him a death with some degree of dignity. Our world is built on traditions. You mock us all by not allowing us to send him on to a more peaceful existence!"

"For the record, Hades-"

"You control him as you did Apollo, and Cain." His face was red and flushed, his cheeks damp as he ranted.

"I really don't and Hades is merely delaying the inevitable, probably because he knows you're all going to react like this."

"What are you on about now? Just trying to pass the-"

"Cain isn't' dead." I tell him.

"Yeah, and Zeus has returned to take back his throne."

"We used a body double. Hades isn't letting anyone see him, because it's gone now. Doing that was the only way we could end it." He seems to think this over. "You know of the visions, of the way they wanted it to finish. Cain accepted this fate, that fight was his way of giving up."

"But you hadn't." Hermes says slowly before his rage kicks back in. "You're lying!"

"I'm not. I never realised you cared so much about him, Hermes."

"I don't. I care about tradition." He turns, pointing his nose in the air as he does so.

"Well, traditions aside, I plan on telling the Twins before we all meet tonight. Hades thinks we should wait until after, but-"

"Hades is right."

"So you believe me then?"

"Maybe. I didn't think you'd be able to actually kill him, especially not that easily." He snorted.

"Just a human who got lucky and some powers right?" I can't stop myself from taunting him.

"Exactly." Hermes snapped.

"Glad we had this chat." I stand up and look out to the ocean that grew darker with the sunset. "I hate not telling everyone, and I'm sorry for the pain it's caused."

"Knowing you, I'm sure this has weighed heavily on your mind. Hades is right though. Allow for the coronation. It will be harder to get rid of you then. The Twins will understand." He says a little softer now. "And what of Cain?"

"He's around still. I don't know what he'll end up doing and as for me, I'm not staying, Hermes."

"Why not? What do you really have here? Friends who will age and die? Family that don't know what to do with you now you're not like them?"

"Really, can you just pick a side? You're giving me whiplash."

"What are your plans for tonight then?" Hermes glared at me, crossing his arms over his chest as he waited for an answer.

"You'll have to wait and see."

"Tell me or no portal back." He threatens.

"Really?" I can't help but smirk. "Artemis will have your head."

"She'll have yours when you don't go through with it."

"I've got my replacement. You will all accept the God Killer, and she will become your new Queen."

He storms towards me, finger pointed. "You are the most infuriating, impossible creature I have ever met!"

"Ever? Thanks, Hermes." He only grunts in response, a second later a portal opening in the wall behind him. "It'll work out, relax."

"Easy for you to say. You're leaving!"

"But that's why you're going to make some new portals, so I can come back, as often as I like."

I step through his latest portal and thankfully we're back in the great hall. My stomach drops as I spot Apollo on the throne, and Hermes comes ranting in behind me.

"I'm not doing anything you ask until-" He stops as he too sees Apollo. "Until tonight, girl. Just, wait until tonight."

I don't miss his double meaning and in the next second he's gone.I want to as well, already feeling exhausted. Too bad he was clearly waiting for us, and there was no way to escape.

"Are you supposed to be sitting there?" I walk over and he manages a smile.

"You weren't gone for too long?"

"Hermes had better things to do apparently."

Apollo slowly nods."Do you as well, or can you spare me a moment of your time?"

"Depends." The warning is clear.

"I just wanted to see how you are. It's been a couple of days since we last spoke, and there's a lot going on." He gets up, closing the space between us. "I know you, remember. Please don't push me away Bunny, especially now. How are you? Really?"

"Looking forward to all of this being over." I admit.

"You're not staying?"

"No. I'm not. I went home to check in with everyone and-" I stop myself. "With a bit of time, you will all approve my decision. Tonight, everything changes. Again."

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"I want you to stay. I think you can do this, that everything has led you here. I also know you are stubborn, and once you've made your mind up, it's hard to change." He sighs, his hand reaching for mine before he stops himself. "I hope you don't end up regretting your decision."

"About leaving," I hesitate unsure if I want to let it be brought up again. "Or you?"

"Both. I think about us, about where we, where I, went wrong, all the time. It's kept me awake for weeks. I hate that one argument was able to pull us apart so easily, and with everything that's gone on, I just want you to be happy. I want us to be friends. I will be whatever you need me to be."

This time he does take my hand; his skin softly glowing which in the darkened space sends a subtle light over me. I look at my hand in his, as his thumb brushes over my knuckles and I hear Portia's voice in the back of my mind.

"Apollo will keep you in his light."

"Sorry, what?" He asks, startling me back into the moment.

"We were part of the plan." I answer. This whole time she'd been moving us in whichever direction they needed us to go. "When you came to my world, when Zeus sent you, why you? Why did you come and not, Ares, or Hermes or any other minion of your fathers?"

"Um, I ah, I know I'd done something to piss him off. Plus a few other reasons." He frowned. "Haven't we gone over this before?"

"But why then, why not a hundred years earlier or another fifty later? Was it something the Fates said?"

"Zeus loved his astrology and Oracles. It was nearly time that the Fallen One was predicted to return so he wanted to make the first move," He shrugged. "They've been enemies for a long time, it's highly possible though especially if they offered some kind of deal in exchange for information. Your arrival would have gone in their favour, with their Third found. What does it matter now?"

Hecate was right. Nothing I faced would have been possible if I hadn't had them on my side, exactly when I needed them to be. What would be at risk by going against their plans now? Would Hecate be right, would they all realise this works out as well as Portia had as the Maiden. Maybe now they'd back off, and leave us all alone. What more did they have to gain or lose if they kept playing this game?

What did I?

It became so clear I almost wanted to laugh about it. Apollo had been a perfect choice; he was the voice of reason I didn't have. He had been a rock for me, and a distraction. Everything I needed. I would be kept in his light, like a moth drawn to the flame. If I had stayed, if I conformed - let him be my everything, my wings would have been burned away until there was nothing left. That was what they wanted and they kept trying. Even as recently as after the engagement party, things could have gone differently. I'd felt it, the tug of nostalgia, a whisper of memories, that echo of loneliness that needed to be answered. How different would all this be if I gave in?

His light couldn't hold me; couldn't burn me away.

I was a Phoenix and no matter what I faced, I would rise and rise again.

"It doesn't matter now, you're right. Don't worry about it." I smile. "Thank you for your understanding. I'm not going to regret anything."

He hesitated and closed his eyes. "You didn't kill him, did you?"

"No." I confess.

"I didn't understand how you could. You wouldn't have given up someone you cared about so easily." He stepped back. "I've been thinking about that too. Is that why you don't want to stay?"

"No. Tonight, I go back to being just Elise. I'm not the God Killer anymore. I'm not who this world needs."

"I think you're wrong."

"That never works out well for you." I shrug. "It's part of my plan, or something like it."

"Who then, if not you?"

"The Daughter of Hecate." The words sink in.

His eyes go wide and he shakes his head. "No. That's impossible. She has no daughter. There are rumours, the Valkyrie- no, not her?"

"The rumours are wrong and she has her powers returned. You could say its fate."

"They told you?" Apollo gasps.

"No. But I'm going to make them see that I'm right like I did with Portia's promotion. Maybe they will leave me alone after this?"

"You're playing a dangerous game, Bunny." He warned.

"I've been playing it my whole life, I'm just finally starting to get some control over it."

Apollo looked thoughtful for a moment, before he gave a little nod. "I'll do as you say, I'll talk to Art and Hermes. You can count on us."

"Thank you." I meant it.

"And what of Cain? Is he really going to let all this happen?" I don't miss the doubt in his voice.

"He's happy to be a ghost, for now at least. Hades wanted us to wait to tell you all he still lives, but I kind of just told Hermes and now you. I hate keeping this secret, but if the wrong people found out it-"

"It wouldn't be good. I understand." His posture stiffened, as his eyes narrowed. "And you, you're ah, together now? I need to know if- I've already been dealing with it for years, at least now I don't feel crazy for imagining it."

His words were meant to cut, the storm in his eyes dangerous. For the first time in a long time, I didn't feel the sting of guilt or that swell of pity from deep within. Instead I met him square on, not backing down or even wanting to attempt to keep trying to fix this, whatever this actually was.

"And that's always been your problem, Apollo, not mine. Think about that, not me or him, what was or might be. I have to go get ready, so do you."

I leave him behind and lay down on the bed the second I enter my room. It's already getting dark, and as I sense Kara nearby, I close my eyes, feeling the change of clothes instantly. When she knocks, opening the door slowly, I'm dressed and ready.

"I didn't know if you were back." She entered, and I almost didn't recognize her.

Her hair was down in a way I hadn't seen since I first met her; long blonde curls that stopped near her stomach. Half was up, braided and twisted into a bun. Her skin seemed more bronzed, yet her cheeks sparkled with a soft silver. Snake like bands wound up her arms, and the grey of her dress shimmered with each step she took towards me.

"Are you ready?" I ask, unable to look away from her.

"Too much?" She ran her hands down the length of the gown, her confidence wavering as she seemed to shrink into the fabric and jewels. "Deimos said-"

"It's perfect." I stand in front of her, tilting her head up as she regains her posture. "Chin up, Queenie."

"What am I going to call you now?" She smirks.

"I'm sure you'll think of something."

"You look beautiful. An ode to the old ways?" Kara circles around.

Hermes' talk of tradition had inspired me. The golden gown similar to the one Hera had worn when I first met her. We were quite the pair.

"Seemed appropriate."

"I feel this isn't real. What are we doing?" She whispered.

"Are you sure you want to, it's still not too late for you to back out."

"I'm ready." She stood tall, confident and proud. "Let's do this."

Her presence was strong, the look in her eye defiant. She was a warrior on the edge of a new battle, and they would hear her roar. There was more though; a pain that kept her wary, a heart that cared too much. There was a similarity between us I hadn't noticed before, and if I had still unsure about this, I wasn't anymore.

With a nod, we're back in the great hall, and only the few from before are there. The air is electric, and I don't miss the way they stare at us now. Do they see it too? One by one the bow as I pass, Kara right behind me as I move up the steps and towards the throne only I stop there, as she keeps going and takes the chair.

"What is-" Ares instantly starts.

I hold my hand up, silencing him as the others come closer.

"I will not be the one going through the coronation tonight." I begin, instantly being greeted with a rush of questions from Ares and Hermes, while Apollo and Hades stay silent. Artemis focuses on Kara.

"She's different." She hushes the men, her voice dominating theirs. "What did you do?"

"I have chosen the daughter of Hecate to claim the role of God Killer, and become Queen."

I don't give them a chance to say anything, turning back to Kara. I smile as I take the crown from my own head and place it on hers. The hardest part comes next, and as my sword appears, I grip it that little bit tighter before I drop to my knees before her and hold it out as an offering. It's like a part of me is being removed, cut away and forever trapped within that blade. The energy from Sobek-Ra's sword clings to mine, and I can't stop the gasp as Kara takes hold. It leaves me breathless; tears fill my eyes as she may as well have taken my hands with her. The bond weakens, disappears. The sword understands; it has a new master now. That, was unexpected.

"Long, live, the Queen." I mumble, and they all repeat it after me.

Kara puts her hand out, helping me stand as the rest all talk among themselves quietly.

"Everything, okay? Did you feel that?" She asks softly, her excitement obvious as she is clearly feeling a lot better than I currently was.

No. "Yeah, I didn't think- everyone will be here soon. Good luck, God Killer."

I saw her shiver.

"What happens now?" I ask, looking at Hades.

"They will come soon. Ares will awaken Themis. She will need to approve of the new ruler, and then she will take her oath." Hermes explains.

"Themis will see through this charade. There is only one, God Killer." Ares huffed.

"And you are looking at her." Kara snapped. "The decision has been made."

"She will not. They. No one will accept a Valkyrie as our Queen." He argued.

"No, Ares. She is no more a Valkyrie than I am, can you not sense her powers?" Artemis mused, looking at Kara curiously. "Who are you, really?"

Kara glanced my way briefly, and I nodded. "It's been said. The God Killer."

My sword- her sword, seemed to hum in agreement at her side. Again pain sparked in my fingers and ran up my arms. Instinctively I put my hands on my stomach and closed my eyes, trying to breath through it. Thankfully it didn't last long.

"What was that?" Hades whispers, Apollo's eyes burning into me from across the stairs. "Are you alright?"

"She has the God Killers sword now. She is the God Killer." I look at him, struggling to get my breath back. "I'm free."

"This, this is all on you." Ares pointed at me. "How are the rest of you even agreeing to it?"

Apollo rolled his eyes. "Stop being so dramatic Ares. You wanted war, you had your fill, now let it be. Should you like to do this the old fashioned way then? Raise your hand if you disagree with Elise's choice of replacement."

Only Ares put his hand up.

"Seems to be unanimous." Hermes boldly taunted.

Ares looked like he might just explode.

"Go wake up Themis. Let the people in." Hades ordered, making the god of war turn red.

He did it though, the big doors opening and the people, Powers and Others combined, came in to witness a new chapter in their history begin. The few that know me all turn my way, questions clear in their eyes, but Ares, despite whatever he may be feeling, carries on as normal. They catch on quickly. Thankfully Deimos and Hades don't leave me, and we stay close to the front, but to the side as the celebration commences. I'm pretty sure Deimos is doing something to keep everyone from coming over to us, but I don't complain.

"Who is Themis?" I ask Hades.

"One of our ancients." He tells me.

In Ares long winded speech, I learn more. She was an ancient Titaness that stood for all the justice and law within the realm. Her presence and aura was overwhelming and Kara met her with grace and an ease I wasn't sure I would have been able to manage had I been up there.

"And so it is, the God Killer, daughter of Hecate, Queen Kara of Olympus." She declared in a scratchy voice.

We all bowed.

The celebration began.

While the party gossiped and talked excitedly over their new queens heritage, Themis sat beside Kara, the pair deep in private conversation. I felt her eyes on me, and if I happened to glance that way, she didn't disappoint. I kept hidden within the group, Artemis staying as close as Hades and Deimos did. I didn't feel like celebrating. I wanted to sleep. The last few days found me, and yet I stayed, not willing to abandon Kara now.

"A moment?" The aged voice of Themis startled me, and the others all politely nodded and stepped away.

Ever so slowly I turned to face her, unsure what I would find.

A dusting of powder covered her hair and face, her movements rigid and awkward. I guess being a statue for centuries was hard to shake off in a couple of hours.

"The Underworld talks loudly, much too loudly, about you, God Killer."

"I'm not-"

"I am not fooled so save your lies. Her legacy has yet to begin, she claims two titles tonight that were given, not earned." She mused. "For each time I am brought back to this world, I wonder, what have I been returned to. So tell me, dear Queen. What world is this?"

"A new one, Themis. I assure you."

She smiled, her face appearing to crack with the movement. "That's what he said too. For now, the scales sit equal and fair. I do not doubt this time, that it will not last. The air smells different. The earth has a new energy. Change is finally upon us."

"Kara belongs here. She may not have earned those titles as I did, but she deserves all of this."

"I agree. She will be a fine Queen" She sighs. "I am tired. I long to return to the afterlife once more. Bid me farewell, and please, do not summon me for a millennia or so."

"Rest well." I tell her and watch as she leaves.

"You did it, girl." Ares mumbles as he takes her place. We both stay quiet until she's gone. "What will you do now?"

"I'll stay for a little while, but then I'm going home. Where I belong."

"How did you do it? The Others loved none as much as they did Hecate until the God Killer." He let out a big breath. "And now you give them, her."

"Just, lucky I guess?" I shrug.

Athena joins us, and lures him away to dance. Eventually I end up beside Kara, everyone else too drunk or busy to notice much else than themselves now anyway.

"We did it." She sighs. "Themis is terrifying."

"You did it, Queenie."

"No, you did Elise. I honestly had my doubts if they would accept me, if this would work."

"I guess it all went to plan then."

"You don't make plans." She teased.

Deimos joins us then, bowing slightly as Kara looks at him before extending his hand. "Would you like to dance, my Queen?"

I try to hide my smile as she blushes.

"I would love to." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

409K 15.1K 40
Every year for the past hundred years, there has been a masquerade ball that was held where all wolves found their mates, in particular, Alpha Landon...
149K 7.1K 34
Highest ranking: #7 in Lucifer #4 in God #11 in Paranormal --- Cover made by me. --- Looking for a person to be my cover designer for my books. Pri...
1M 44.8K 70
Vampires have slayers. Werewolves have trackers. Everything else has a hunter. --- Elise Bunting knows all about the things that go bum...
5.3K 182 20
“So, what are you doing this weekend?” Maggie asked me. “Oh, nothing much,” I replied. Just working as an indentured servant and hunting demons whil...