MALAKAI (The 'Mala Series' bo...

By gbebia

Kai is one of the greatest sword fighters in all six kingdoms, of course the six kingdoms don't know that. He... More

ct-1 Arocelli
ct-2 Katherine
ct-3 The Other side
ct-4 The Resolve
ct-5 Into the woods
ct-6 The Castle
ct-7 Hidden in plain slight
ct-8 Kai's Day One
ct-9 The ball
ct-10 The voice
ct-11 Uncle Jerome
ct-12 Mala ball
ct-13 Feelings?
ct-14 Staying away
ct-15 No more fretting
ct-16 Too smooth
ct-17 The end of the beginning
ct-18 Come clean
ct-19 Malakai
ct-21 The Attack
ct-22 Whats the plan?
ct-23 Divide and conquer
ct-24 Safe travels
ct-25 Heading for the gala
ct-26 What slides and slithers in the woods
ct-27 No semblance of normal
ct-28 prepare for battle
ct-29 WAR! pt-1
ct-30 WAR! pt-2
ct-31 WAR! pt-3
ct-32 gods and sacrifices - Final Chapter

ct-20 Levi

30 8 4
By gbebia

"There's someone here now." Garett said.

Kai gave Amish to Abel then unsheathed his sword in preparation to end anyone that needed ending.

"Only one?" Kai asked Garett

"Only one." Garett replied.

"Wait here." Kai said to everyone as he walked towards the house.

Snow dusted the tall grass that was now dying due to the winter. Strange that it even had its green color till now. The forest was eerily quiet and the wind blew cold air.

Kai climbed the three steps that led to the door. Then he pushed the door gently. It was unlocked. He stepped into the house.

Be careful Kai. Something isn't right with this intruder's mind. Garett mentally warned Kai.

The house was dark and cold. There was a staircase that led to another floor above. There was a fireplace. A dining area. There was a large painting of a family who he immediately recognized to be the royal family, years ago.

The floor was dusty and an unlit chandelier hung above.

Kai heard movement beside the fire place. He could barely see.

"It's either you come to me...or I come to you." Kai said.

Nothing. Fine then.

Kai began walking towards the fire place.

"Hello." Someone behind him said. Startled, Kai swung his sword around but forced to a stop when he saw it was an unarmed young man, looking to be a year or two older than he was.

Kai couldn't see the man's features well but he noticed the man had red hair. The man didn't even flinch at the sight of Kai's sword heading straight for him.

He just stood there smiling like a freak.

"Quite a sword you got there." The man said.

"This is royal property. What are you doing here?" Kai asked.

"Oh i'm sorry. I truly thought this place was abandoned. I've been here for a while now. I was hunting and I —" The man turned back to see Garett and the others come through the door.

His eyes widened when he noticed Katherine and the Queen.

"Lady Queen, lady Princess." He said, bowing deeply. "Forgive me. I had no idea this place was still in use."

"Who are you?" Esther asked.

"My name is Levi. I'm a hunter here in Belvedere. I stumbled upon this place on one of my hunts and assumed it was abandoned. So I decided to use it as a shelter when it got too cold outside. I had no idea the Arocelli royal family still used it. Forgive me." Levi said, bowing once again.

Esther looked to Kai. Kai shook his head in disapproval of whatever she had in mind but she disregarded him.

"It's alright Levi." Esther said.

"Thank you lady Queen." Levi said. "The least I can do is help you start a fire."

"We'll manage. You should get going." Kai said.

"I think it's fine if he helps us." Katherine retorted.

"Katherine —" Kai was cut off.

"This place could use some work. We'll need all the help we can get." Katherine said then walked off.

"I'll get some wood." Levi said, then left the house. All the while Garett stood there silent, Abel the same by his side with Amish over his shoulder.

"Come on Abel, I'll show you to a room where Amish can rest." Esther said then walked off with Abel trailing behind her.

Garett walked over to the large portrait of the royal family on the wall. Kai walked and stood beside him.

"Can you read his mind?" Kai asked

"That's the thing, there's nothing in his mind" Garett said.

"This place is in bad shape. If he claims to be using it as a shelter, then there should at least be some wood in the house already." Kai said. "Everywhere's dusty and dark and cold."

"Kai. If I can't read his mind, then this isn't human or ye juai."

Magic? Kai thought.

"We can't jump into conclusions." Garett said.

"No we can't." Kai said.

******

Amish woke up on a soft bed. Her unnatural nose perceived dust immediately. She turned to her head to see Abel on a chair, reading a book.

"Of all the people." she said in a raspy voice.

"The best sits before you." he said with a smug look as he dropped his book to his lap.

She sat up on the bed and rested on the headboard. The room looked old and dusty but better than most houses. It was spacious, the window illuminating everywhere.

"What happened?" She asked.

"You broke my table." Abel replied dryly.

"Where are we?" She asked

"The royal house of the Arocelli's in Belvedere." Abel replied.

"Belvedere? Does that mean —?"

"Yes my almighty brother transported us to another part of the world in three minutes." Abel said

Garett would kill himself, Amish thought. She understood what the mortal was hiding.

"What are you doing here? You could read your book anywhere else." She said.

"Your blue hair is astonishing. And I wanted to see your silver eyes close up when you woke." Abel said.

"You flirt with me?" Amish said, pushing her hair backwards.

Abel just smiled. He was pitiful. But he was ridiculously pretty. His dark eyes complimented his brown hair. His brows bushy and aligned and his lips were plush.

She dropped her legs off the bed and leaned into his face, gazing into those dark eyes.

"I've spent over six hundred years on this earth Abel." She smiled. "Focus on cooking and shy girls who scream at the sight of blood." she said, then got up. Abel looked shocked, then actually began giggling.

I'm glad you're well Amish. You and Abel should join us down here.

Garett's mental voice said into Amish's head.

"Your brother wishes for us to join him." she said.

"Then let's not keep him waiting." Abel replied with a smile.

If only she had mental powers. She wanted to know what made him find rejection so amusing.

******

         Levi arrived almost thirty minutes later with wood and a deer in tow.

"Talk about helpful." Katherine said, knowing it would annoy Kai who stood - with arms folded - by a window. How did he hunt a deer so fast though? Katherine thought.

Garett started a fire at the fire place while Kai lit the chandelier. Soon the place was warm and illuminated. Katherine watched Levi work on skinning and roasting the deer while Esther cleaned the dining area which was dusty.

"You don't have any family Levi?" She asked.

"My father passed a few years back. It's just been me." Levi replied.

"Oh I'm sorry." Katherine said.

"It's alright lady princess." Levi said. He had red hair and hazel eyes. He stood at about Abel's height which was still taller than her but just a little shorter than Kai and Garett.

Soon after, Abel and Amish came down the stairs.

"Amish." Esther said "I'm glad you're okay."

"I'm glad I am too lady Queen." Amish said. Katherine regarded the elf with a smile and got one in return. Then Amish's eyes landed on Levi.

Wait a minute. Levi didn't know elves existed.

I have glamoured Amish. Levi will see nothing but a pretty lady. Katherine recognized Garett's voice in her mind and had to stop herself from clutching her head to avoid questions from Levi.

She could see the strain in Abel and Esther as well.

"This is Levi." Katherine said. "He's a hunter. We met him here. Levi this is Amish and Abel. They're umm...members of our court."

Amish gave Levi a skeptical look.

"Nice to meet you lady Amish, lord Abel." Levi said. Abel looked like he was holding back a laugh, then he got himself together.

"Nice to meet you Levi." Abel said. Amish just looked to the dining table that held food, Garett and Kai already seated and discussing.

They all walked to the table and sat. It was now deep into the afternoon. Katherine sat beside Levi, much to Kai's glaring. After a while of eating and conversing, Esther spoke up.

"It would be much appreciated if you could keep our presence here a secret Levi." Esther said. "We don't want any unnecessary attention."

It would take a while for word to get to Belvedere about the Queens 'demise' and the Princess' 'mental state', So Levi wouldn't suspect a thing.

"To my grave lady Queen." Levi said. Kai snorted. He'd become more moody during the lunch.

"It's getting pretty cold outside." Katherine said.

"No." Garett and Kai said together.

Katherine looked at them questioningly.

"Remember we have that thing we need to do." Garett said.

"That thing can wait." Esther said.

"We can't just let a stranger stay." Kai said

"Would you like to murder him?" Katherine asked coldly. Everyone suddenly found their plate or the chandelier interesting.

Kai's emotions were not hidden for the first time. His eyes showed hurt. She immediately regretted what she said. But then his eyes reverted back to its intense gaze, hidden emotions and all that.

"Forgive me Lady princess'" he said. "If you'll excuse me, I'll be upstairs." Kai left calmly.

Katherine tried to remind herself of the hurt he caused he. Maybe that would help her feel less bad about what she just said.

                                    ******

        It was evening now. The sky shone a pretty gold. Esther sat on a sofa in the living room. She had dusted all the sofa's. She hadn't ever imagined doing such labour.

For some crazy reason, it gave her more relief than stress. She even took care of the dishes much to Abel's protests. But she wasn't the best at dishes.

So Abel had stood there instructing her while she washed. Now there was someone she had to talk to.

She got up from the sofa and went up the stairs. There were four rooms up stairs and two down. She found the door to one of the rooms ajar. She leaned against the doorway, watching Kai as he stood looking out the window, arms folded.

"What is your obsession with windows guardian?" She asked. He turned to her.

"Lady Queen." he said in greeting.

"Esther. Call me Esther. I don't think I'll be the Queen for a while." she said.

She walked into the room.

"She didn't mean it." Esther said. "And I'm pretty sure she doesn't hate you."

"Do you hate me?" Kai asked.

Esther sighed, then walked to the bed and sat on it.

"I don't hate you Kai. But i am very upset with you. I don't — we don't let a lot of people in our lives, we don't talk to a lot of people. Nesta was always —" Esthers voice broke.

Kai looked to the ground. She could tell he felt grief for Nesta too.

"Nesta was always someone I could trust. We let her in. Now she's gone." Esther said.

"I'm sorry." Kai said.

They were silent for a moment.

"She'll come around." Esther said. "She just needs time."

For the first time, Kai smiled at Esther.

                                       ******

        Garett sat on the stairs outside the house, watching the sunset. It was pretty. The sunlight illuminated the grass as tall trees dusted by snow created shadows on the ground.

He had left Abel, Amish, the princess and the strange Levi inside talking. He did not understand why the mysts could not read Levi. They could only feel his mind. He hoped it wasn't what he thought.

The door opened behind him. He felt Abel's mind without looking at him. Abel came and sat beside him on the steps.

"So much has happened since you left." Abel said.

"Indeed." Garett said. "It's been too long."

Garett turned to his nineteen year old brother. His features had barely matured since the last time he saw him.

"You still look like a spoilt pretty prince." Garett said with a smile. Abel laughed.

"And you look like you have the weight of the world on you." Abel said. "You need a good rest Garett."

"I'll rest soon little brother." Garett said. If only Abel understood the kind of rest he meant.

"I'm not little anymore." Abel said. Garret huffed.

"I'm three years older than you are. You'll always be little to me." Garett said

Abel glared, making Garett laugh.

"How did it feel being a healer?" Garett asked

"It was not nearly as exciting as this." Abel said.

"I don't want this life for you. The path ahead is more dangerous than you think." Garett said.

"You didn't choose this life for me." Abel said.

Garett sighed.

"I'll be fine Garett. Besides, you've got the powers of three ancient beings now, you can protect me." Abel said with a grin.

There's not much I can do Abel. Garett thought.

But he just smiled and threw an arm over Abel's shoulder.

"You get your cooking skills and enthusiasm from mother." Garett said, staring at the sky.

                                      ******

It was dark now. Esther had left soon after her talk with Kai. Kai had done a quick survey around the house. He learnt that there were six rooms.

Esther and Katherine stayed in the largest one. Every other person had a room to themselves. It was silent outside. When Kai was sure everything was alright, he went back to his room and slept.

The nightmares came as usual.

Kai jerked awake. The cold wouldn't even let him sweat from writhing in bed. It was just the break of dawn. He got up and decided on having some water. He went downstairs. Levi must have had water stored already.

Levi.

Kai said Levi's name in his mind with much contempt. He had a glass of water then began walking back to his room. But the door was slightly open.

Kai walked out of the house to find Amish standing in the grass, squinting at the rising sun.

"Isn't it a little too early for you to be awake?" Amish asked without looking backwards.

"I could say the same thing about you." Kai said.

"I'm near immortal. I don't need as much rest as mortals do." Amish said.

"I'd kill for that attribute." Kai said.

Amish turned to him.

"I don't even need to read your mind to know what you're thinking." she said.

"I want to know what it feels like to fight an elf." Kai said. Maybe he could learn new techniques.
Old techniques.

"I'm not the elf you want to fight with." she said, making Kai even more eager to face her.

"I'll go easy on you." Kai said with a teasing smile. Amish began laughing.

"Alright Malakai." she said.

Malakai, Kai thought. It wasn't as bad as guardian.

"Tell me someone grabbed my sword before we warped all the way here." Amish said.

"We were to busy trying not to be killed by assassins." Kai said dryly. "It's okay though. We can go hand to hand."

"Sounds good to me." Amish said.

They set themselves in a good position.

Kai moved first. He wanted to test her, know her movements. He lunged at her. She was too quick. She averted his strikes like she saw them seconds before he struck.

She didn't strike back. It was like she was playing with him. Kai stopped attacking.

"Are you going to fight me?" He asked her.

"Are you going to hit me?" She asked with a mocking smile.

Kai decided on another approach. He lunged again, but instead of going fast he went slow. She wasn't attacking so he'd use that to his advantage.

He suddenly struck so fast that Amish couldn't have expected it. His foot landed in her mid section. She jerked back. Then she began laughing.

"Stop being weird Amish!"

Kai and Amish turned to find Abel sitting on the steps, a cup of what looked to be something hot in his hands.

"How long have you been there?" Amish asked Abel.

"Just keep entertaining me." Abel said.

Kai grinned, because he knew no he'd gotten to Amish. Then she was attacking. Kai tried as much as possible to block her blows but she still managed to strike him several times.

Blood had began seeping from his mouth, but he barely noticed. He was having too much fun. When he saw an opportunity, he made to kick her mid section again but this time she caught his leg.

He didn't know how much strength she actually had. She whirled him and tossed him against a tree. He shut his eyes tight as pain reverberated through his body. When he opened his eyes again, it was to see Amish's fist aiming straight for his face.

He ducked, which led to her fist connecting to the tree. The tree actually shook. Before she could recover, he picked her up from the throat and slammed her to the ground.

She made an oof sound. Then she began laughing. Kai couldn't help joining her. He began laughing too. Because this was a challenge to him. When last did he have a real challenge? Then they stopped laughing and were staring into each other's eyes.

"Not bad Malakai." she said, her voice seductive to any man. She was still on the ground, Kai leaning over her.

"We should try this again some time." Kai said.

"Definitely." Amish said with a smile. Kai got up from her and stretched his hand to help her up. She took his hand and stood up.

He turned to the house to see Levi and Katherine had joined Abel on the steps. The look on Katherine's face was not friendly.

Way to make things better, Kai thought.

Esther and Garett came out.

"Couldn't you both just sit down and drink some tea like Abel?" Garett asked

"How else would I be entertained. That was the best fight I've ever seen." Abel said

"It was truly incredible. I've never seen anyone move so quickly." Levi said.

Go away Levi. Kai couldn't look at him without resisting the urge to punch his face. Maybe it was because of the way he looked at the princess. She clearly didn't mind that Levi was basically flirting with his eyes anytime she spoke with him.

"Ugh. Now you both stink." Esther said

"We all stink." Katherine said.

If Levi had questions as to why they had no guards with them, nor servants who would run a bath for them, he didn't ask.

"Remember when we'd bath in the spring behind the house." Esther said. There was a sigh in her voice.

"I bet we could still bathe there." Katherine said looking back at Garett with mischievous eyes.

"I believe it would be iced over by now lady princess" Levi said.

"Oh no Levi. You see sometimes the spring gets a little hot. It's almost unnatural." Katherine said still looking at Garett.

Everyone but Levi obviously understood Katherine's point. She wanted Garett to heat up the iced spring.

"Do you think it's hot Garett?" Abel asked, joining in on Katherine's ploy.

Garett sighed.

"We could just —" Katherine cut him off.

"Great!" She said. "Levi help Abel with some towels. Garett be a dear and come check out the spring with me." She took Garett's arm and began heading to the back of the house as Levi and Abel went in to do as told.

Esther and Kai shared a look that said the same thing.

Katherine has a crazy idea.

Kai, Esther and Amish followed Katherine and Garett to the back of the house. They stopped at what used to be a spring.

It was now almost completely iced over.

"Think you can handle it Garett?" Katherine asked

Garett sighed. Then he focused. The ice began to melt. Then heat began coming from the water. Soon it was a heated spring.

"Talk about handy." Esther said to Garett.

"I don't think the mysts will let me use their powers for things like these again." Garett said. "They say it's an, and I quote, 'insignificant waste of time'."

Katherine and Esther laughed, but Amish stared at Garett with a look of worry. Kai followed her gaze to Garett's hand. It was shaking slightly, but then he clenched and unclenched it. It became fine. Something wasn't right.

Abel and Levi came with towels.

"How in the world —?" Levi awed.

"Strange isn't it?" Katherine said to Levi with a wide grin.

"Kat. What's your plan?" Esther said.

"Don't play dumb." Katherine said, then stepped back. She began stripping.

Dead gods.

"Kat!" Esther said. Amish and Abel had a wide grin on their faces. Levi and Garett were trying to look anywhere but at the princess.

Katherine was now in her under things. She ran and dived into the water.

"Oh my goodness this has to be heaven!" Katherine called from the water. "Guys come on in!"

Abel was already stripping beside Kai. Then he dived into the water. Levi began stripping too. Kai wanted to pick up a stone and hit him hard on the head. But in a matter of seconds, Levi was in the pool.

Then Amish stepped towards the water.

"Might as well have a little fun." she said as she began stripping.

What the hell was going on?

Then she dived into the water. Everyone was basically playing like kids in there.

******

The princess was in the water, his brother was in the water, Levi and freaking Amish were in the water. Garett thought he was losing it.

Kai sighed beside him.

"You're going in the water." Garett said.

"I smell like two days. See you in there." Kai said as he stripped and dived into the water.

Esther turned to him.

"Strip." she said.

"The way you say 'strip' is weird" Garett said with a smug look "it makes me think you have other ideas."

The Queen glared at him.

"I'm not stripping until you do." she said.

"Then let's make it fair. We strip together." Garett said. Esther opened her mouth like she would protest, but then stopped. Then she nodded.

So Garett tugged off his shirt as she tugged hers off. Then his pants as she did hers. He could not help his eyes going to her legs.

"Hey my eyes are up here." She said.

"This is weird." Garett said chuckling.

"It really is." The Queen said as she broke into a beautiful smile. "I bet I dive better." she said as she took of towards the water.

"Oh no you don't." Garett said as he took off with her. Then she dived into the water, Garett diving after her.

It was fun. He couldn't remember the last time he had actually had fun. He caught Abel making eyes at Amish. Then she ducked his head into the water.

Levi on the other hand was a little too close to the princess. But Garett knew she tolerated him to spite Kai who acted like he paid no heed.

After a while, they wrapped themselves in towels and went back into the house. Esther and Katherine had told everyone to address them by their names for times sake.

The cold was unforgiving. Kai and Garett wore some of Abel's clothes while Amish, Katherine and Esther wore some old tunics they found in the house.

It was weird seeing the princess and Queen in a tunic. Now everyone but Levi sat in the living room talking about Katherine's crazy ideas. Kai stood, of course, at the window, looking at things no one else saw.

Garett got up to check on the mala ball. He had barely checked on it since he got here. He stood at the bottom of the steps as Levi began running down.

Levi's arm accidentally touched Garett. Garett's mind shrieked in pain. The mysts were hurt. Levi looked at Garett then.

"Sorry." Levi said, playing dumb.

"Of course." Garett said. Garett looked to Kai who caught his eye and understood what was going on. "Help me with my staff will you kai?"

Kai threw Garett his staff. The moment it touched Garett's hand, he slammed it into Levi's face. The impact was so hard that Levi bursted through the wall and into the kitchen, a cloud of smoke forming.

"Garett what the hell!" Katherine cried.

"He's not human." Garett said, as the cloud of smoke cleared to reveal a beast two times his size. "He's a shape shifter."

____________________________________
———————————————————————————

Another long chapter. Sorry😁❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

692 220 13
Every year, the king of Scaldril hosts the Blood Moon Festival, a deadly competition to select the next generation of dragon riders. Historically, on...
66.9K 1.2K 37
"Why-why is he here?" I asked slightly feeling panicked. "Your father, Step- father owes me money. 36 million pounds to be exact." Stefan said as he...
14.7K 1.2K 62
In a land held firm by ancient dynasties, where dragons once roamed, mothers tell their sons of the shining days of heroes. Beautiful knights would f...
193 25 16
Varathia. A place for all things mythical and magical. Where mythical creatures roam, and people have hobbies that give them magical powers called bo...