Lifeline

By ndallejoy

She clung to people. He ran from people. She was broken. He thought he could mend her. She lost a baby. ... More

Chapter 1; Stalker Ex
Chapter 2; It's Not a Date.
Chapter 3; Emily.
Chapter 4; My Hope.
Chapter 5; Thank you.
Chapter 6; Good night.
Chapter 7; Coffee Thingy.
Chapter 8; Friends.
Author's Note
Chapter 9; Meet the Chef.
Chapter 10; Meet Emily.
Chapter 11; It's Official.
Chapter 12; Dad!
Chapter 13; Idina Menzel.
Chapter 14; Loss.
Chapter 15; Lie.
Chapter 16; Daddy?
Chapter 17; Pure Bliss.
Chapter 18; Love at First Sight.
Chapter 19; Not Exactly.
Chapter 20; Diamonds, Bills and Parents.
Chapter 21; Secrets.
Chapter 22; Christmas Wishes.
Chapter 23; Time.
Chapter 24; Gone.
Chapter 25; Pain.
Chapter 26; Lifeline.
Chapter 27; Breakdown.
Chapter 28; Thanksgiving.
Chapter 29; Forgive me yet?
Chapter 30; I have a Girlfriend.
Chapter 31; Christmas Eve.
Chapter 32; For real this time...
Chapter 33; Afternoon After.
Chapter 34; New Year in LA.
Chapter 36; The Therapist (Part 1)
Chapter 37; Olivia.
Chapter 38; Emily's Birthday.
Chapter 39; Meet the CEO.
Chapter 40; The FiancΓ©e, Engaged?
Chapter 41; The Therapist(Part 2); Find your Parents.
Chapter 42; The Russells.
Chapter 43; Los Angeles.
Chapter 44; Warren King.
Chapter 45; Ethan's POV.
Chapter 46; Not Goodbye.
Chapter 47; I'm sorry.
Chapter 48; Baby.
Chapter 49; Marry me Again.
Chapter 50; Deal.
Chapter 51; Epilogue.
Author's Note...😭

Chapter 35; The Police.

3.3K 216 20
By ndallejoy

"The ones who betray you best are the ones who were the best of friends." By Ndalle Joy.

Ethan and I had been at the NYPD for the past two hours.

I was still in shock and he, well, I didn't know how he was taking it.

Few minutes later, I was moved into a questioning room.

"We are so sorry Dr. Wilson, this is part of the whole procedure." The officer who had been talking to Ethan when I arrived spoke.

"It's okay Officer, I understand."

"Please call me James." I only nodded.

He gave me a little fatherly smile. He looked around his early fifties and he seemed to be rocking it well.

"Okay, so on the 26th of December, the remains of Daniel Cross were found at a lake around the outskirts of the city." He spoke and moved a few photographs over to me.

I held my head high and refused to look down at the gruesome photos.

"It took us a while and a lot of DNA tests to get his identification as you can see, he was- uhm dismembered."

Dismembered, was a nice way to put it.

Dan was chopped, burned and dumped.

It was horrid.

"We sent a search team out yesterday, to search the area he was found, and one of our people found his phone. Fortunately, our tech team could still retrieve the erased data. The last person he called was, you, Kendra Wilson."

I only nodded.

"But what baffled my team was, that call dated since the month of November. So we had forensics take a look, and guess what, Daniel was poisoned and had been dead at least a month and two weeks back."

I only nodded again.

"Approximately around the period of time when he made his last phone call, which was to you."

"What are you getting at?" I stated.

"Don't worry Dr. Wilson, we are aware you didn't kill Mr. Cross yourself, we just think you might have been an accomplice." He folded his arms and leaned back in his seat.

"What?!" I screamed.

"Calm down Doctor. We were made aware that Mr. Cross was in a relationship with your best friend Miss Olivia Jones, is that correct?" He asked.

"Yes."

"And when was the last time you saw your friend?"

I thought back to the last time I saw Liv.

The last time I saw her was a week before Emily's surgery where we went on a shopping spree.

"Roughly around the end of October." I replied.

"And was that also the last time you spoke to her?"

"Yes."

"I am sorry Dr. Wilson but we find it hard to believe you weren't in contact with your friend throughout the period of time when you lost your daughter and fell into mourning. Also, roughly around the same period of time when your daughter had her heart transplant, miss Olivia had cashed out a very hefty amount of money from Mr. Cross' bank account."

I stilled.

"According to our reports, the payment of your daughter's surgery was confidential and paid in full amount. We can't ignore that."

He looked down at a piece of paper and spoke again.

"Lastly, according to our search on you, you were in an abusive relationship with a friend and employee of Mr. Cross." He stated.

I stiffly nodded.

"After the said relationship ended, you were mentally unstable for a period of time and were assigned to a therapist."

This was not how I imagined things turning out.

"You had no right to go into my medical records."

"Unfortunately Dr. Wilson, we did have the right. Your therapist said you showed signs of a split personality, but seemed to recover or rather let a single person stay when Emily Wilson came into your life. Since then, up until a few weeks back, you stopped going for your sessions. Now, with the circumstances surrounding Mr. Cross' death as well as the fact that you were in mourning during said time and the disappearance of your best friend, we think even if you didn't have the motive, you might have helped your best friend murder her boyfriend."

I stood up. "That is absurd."

"No it isn't, but I'll tell you what is absurd, your therapist stated that you tended to be worst when in pain. He said depression triggers another side of you." He closed whatever file he had in front of him. "Sit down Dr. Wilson."

I reluctantly obeyed.

"It is one of our theories that, after your daughter died, you blamed Mr. Cross, whose money had paid for her surgery. We think the money Liv took out of his account must have caused them to disagree, in which case your dear friend seeks your help to end his life and you agree, seeing as you were in pain and maybe, just maybe, killing him might have given you some kind of fucked up release."

I was angry. Very angry.

"Now I'm going to ask you for the last time, when last were you in contact with Olivia Jones?" He glared at me.

This man was insane.

"I already answered that question. Roughly around the end of October." I stood up again. "You should get your facts straight, the money for Emily's surgery was paid in by my boyfriend, Ethan. Hospital confidentiality surely can't be that hard for the NYPD to break. Also, my therapist had me cleared a month after Emily was born, apparently my split personality had developed from the abuse of my ex and had somehow been stabilized in the presence of a distraction or rather, a change of focus. Don't just read the first pages of a book and assume you know how it ends." I told him through gritted teeth.

Right on cue, another officer stumbled in looking flustered, "Sir, we may have missed a few details on the reports." He said.

The officer I had been speaking with, also known as James, glared at him before speaking to me again.

"Dr. Wilson, please wait here while I sort this out." He then went out with the other officer in tow.

I sighed and placed my head on the table.

I had no idea what was going on, and apparently Liv had committed murder. Worst, Dan was dead.

How could he have been dead for more than a month without anyone finding out?

For Christ's sake, he was the CEO of Cross Publications.

I may have been lost in thought for at least half an hour before Officer James came back, this time accompanied by Ethan.

"Dr. Wilson, I am deeply sorry for any discomfort I may have caused you. Your lawyer has handed over everything need to prove your alibi. You're free to go. Please do let us know if Olivia contacts you, we believe she is dangerous and indeed the murderer of Daniel Cross. I'll leave you two, the NYPD is your friend." He left just as he finished.

"Lawyer?" I asked a blank faced Ethan.

His expression softened once he did a thorough assessment of myself.

"Yes. Now let's get you home. This must have been terrible for you." He told me as he helped me up and out of the station.

"You got me a lawyer?" I asked again once we were in the car.

"Yes, a friend of mine owed me a favour."

I couldn't take it anymore.

"For a human resource manager, you sure do have lots of friends who owe you lots of favours. It just makes me wonder how the company is run." I snapped.

I noticed he tensed.

Before I realized, he stopped the car at the side of the road.

"What is your problem?" He half whispered half shouted.

Oh, he definitely had this coming.

"My problem?" I scoffed. "My problem is you keep lying to me. Why do you keep lying?" A traitorous tear trailed out.

"Love, I-"

"No!" I stopped him. "I just- I'm just tired. The police, Dan, Liv and now you. I haven't had time to process it all." I sniffed.

"It's okay love," he took me in his arms. "The lawyer really is a family friend. I'm sorry I made you feel like I was lying. I didn't want to stress you more."

It hurt that he still wasn't being completely honest.

"You know how much I hate being lied to or told half truths. You can tell me anything. I promise to understand." I coerced.

He sighed and placed a kiss on my forehead.

"I won't keep anything from you, I promise."

"Are you sure there's nothing you have to tell me?" I asked again.

"If I had, I would have told you already." He spoke looking at everywhere else but my eyes.

I simply sighed and placed a kiss on his cheek. "Let's just go home please."

He nodded. "I love you Kendra. I really do."

I laid my head on the window before speaking. "I know." I love you too but I'm terrible for you and you're still keeping things from me.

Yet, I never said it out loud.

I simply sighed and let the events of the day sink in as we drove.

Hey lovelies, I hope you're enjoying the ride....

Please VOTE and COMMENT.

Love Joy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

555K 19.1K 52
{Completed} Book #1 He finally answered the phone after the third ring. " You wanted to destroy me right ? Don't worry i'll do it for you, i wont di...
1.5M 48.2K 53
"Are you done staring at me?" He asked and she blushed then looked away. She wanted to walk away so bad but she was scared that Ethan might kill her...
305K 7.2K 32
"Abort it." "Excuse me ?" "Abort that thing inside of you!" He shouts in my face. I put my hands on his chest trying to put some space between us...
299K 8.5K 115
"Why did you do it Eli?!", I growl with tears falling down my cheeks. Eli just stares at me with no emotion and then looks down to the ground. "Fucki...