VIOLENT TIDES (gxg - editing)

By avior-etc

Ainsley is a dragonblood princess, powerful but constantly restrained by her duties and her oppressive father... More

prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
26
27
interlude
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
epilogue
outro

25

8K 545 49
By avior-etc

Gael hefted a crate into the Finch's hold, dropping it unceremoniously onto Ainsley's old bed. She probably should've cleaned that up by now, but it could wait until after the last of the supplies had been loaded. By the looks of things, all of the new rations and repair equipment would be on the Finch by tonight, and they could leave the next morning.

Gael pushed her hair off of her brow and left the hold, boots loud on the ladder. She stepped into the bright sunlight and stretched her arm behind her back, feeling the muscles strain.

Nathe approached her with a heavy barrel in his arms, navigating his way carefully into the hold before setting it upright. Then he reappeared, picking at a splinter in the pad of his thumb.

"Looks like everything is on schedule," he commented, watching Ed make his way across the deck with a heavy coil of rope looped over his shoulder.

Gael nodded. "We can set sail in the morning."

Nathe left her side again, heading for the stack of crates still waiting on the wooden dock. Gael approached the edge of the hull and stared at the city, fingers tapping idly. It felt as though there was something she was waiting for.

The small dragon Ainsley had used to send a message yesterday fluttered down to land on her shoulder, claws digging in through the fabric of her coat. Gael winced, reaching up to stroke its wings.

"Ouch. Careful there."

The dragon had taken to sticking to Gael's side, choosing to leave the company of its flock for her instead. She didn't understand why, but its presence wasn't unwelcome, even if it scared the ship cat.

"You know Ainsley isn't here, right?" She murmured to it, scratching the rough scales of its cheek. It purred and relaxed into her hand. "No sense in waiting for her."

The creature perked up suddenly, eyes brightening. Gael had to smile. Its excitement seemed almost human, as did its intelligence.

"All I did was say her name."

It lifted off her shoulder with one flap of its wings. Gael watched, amused, as it twirled in a tight circle in midair and then dove in a flash of colour towards a figure on horseback that was making their way towards the Finch at surprising speeds. Gael frowned. Whoever it was, they were heading for the ship with purpose. But a dragon would never approach a stranger like that—

Gael's eyes widened and she fought to keep down the stab of hope in her chest. She ran for the edge of the Finch, practically leaping down onto the dock.

Hoofbeats clattered raucously against the wood as the horse galloped up and was pulled to a sharp halt by its rider. It tossed its head in the air and snorted.

Ainsley dismounted in a single, graceful movement.

"Ainsley—!"

Gael's exclamation was cut off by two short, rushed footsteps, and then Ainsley's weight was thrown against her, making her stumble back a step before she caught the smaller princess in her arms. Ainsley's arms were warm around her neck, and Gael's heart seemed to skip for a moment before settling.

"Ainsley, what are you—?"

Ainsley pulled away but kept her hands on Gael's arms for a moment, cutting her off with words of her own.

"May I please stay with you?"

Nothing could've prepared Gael for that.

"What?"

Ainsley sighed, shoulders slumping. She took her hands away and tucked them into her pockets, looking slightly ashamed by her greeting.

"Luca told me my father only intends to use me to invade Fortra. That's why he wants me back."

Her expression was so forlorn, Gael couldn't help but reach for her hand. Ainsley's fingers curled away for a moment, then she seemed to change her mind, taking Gael's hand in her own with a light, uncertain grip.

"I... didn't know what else to do, so I came here. I'd like to stay with you; only if you don't mind, of course."

"Ainsley, are you sure?"

"Yes. Absolutely."

"I would love to have you aboard." The words practically spilled from Gael's lips.

"And the crew?"

"They'll be thrilled."

Relief shone on her face like a ray of sunlight. Then she hesitated.

"I'm not sure I thought this through. Will I be putting your crew in danger? My father will likely find out where I've gone eventually."

Gael smiled at her. "Ainsley, the life of a pirate is already a dangerous one. I promise they'll only be happy to have you back."

Gael had never seen Ainsley smile so widely. She looked ready to hug Gael for a second time.

"Thank you, Gael."

Gael put her hands in her pockets and tried to force down the obnoxious feelings of joy. It was fine for her to be ecstatic about this, right?

"Well, we should likely leave as soon as possible, then, instead of tomorrow morning like we had initially planned. At least, I'm assuming there will be people looking for you."

Ainsley nodded, glancing over her shoulder into the city. "Yes, in fact, there are likely some soldiers on my trail right this moment."

"Alright. Let's get you on the Finch, then, and we'll finish loading up and be gone within the hour."

The dragon, now perched on Ainsley's shoulder, chirped and tugged at her clothes with its teeth. "Are we taking this one along?" She asked, a smile on her face as she pulled it away from herself.

"Well, he hasn't left my side until you showed up, so I think he wants to join us," Gael replied. Ainsley laughed, throwing it up in the air. Gael had never seen the princess look so happy. Carefree, almost.

Followed closely by the iridescent creature, Gael and Ainsley boarded the Finch again. Trying her best to act neutral, Gael hid the fact that her heart was pounding loudly in her chest. She kept trying to convince herself that this wasn't forever; at some point Ainsley would return home to take her throne, but the prospect of having her around for an indefinite amount of time yet, possibly months or more, filled her with a girlish thrill. She could only imagine how excited the crew would be.

That night, after a brisk wind filled the Finch's sails and Ellay shrunk steadily behind them, there was a celebration of sorts in the galley. The pirates lifted flasks of ale to Ainsley's name and several of them broke out in drunken song. Ainsley smiled, looking unsure of what to do but still happier than Gael had seen her yet. The ship's cat was curled in her lap and the dragon leapt from pirate to pirate, snatching at hair and clothing. Gael watched Ainsley's hands, unable to tear her eyes away from how she twisted the ring Gael had bought her over and over on her finger, fingers rubbing its smooth surface.

Ed was the one who finally broke the carefree atmosphere.

"So what now?" He asked, giving his flask a spin on the rough wooden table.

Tension bled back into the room, and though Gael knew the conversation was necessary, she wished it could've waited a while longer. She looked over at Ainsley, who in turn looked down at her hands.

"I'm certain he'll be sending people after me, he would never just let me go like this."

Her light eyes were clouded with worry, and Gael resisted the urge to reach out and grab one of her hands to comfort her. Ainsley seemed to be most fearful when she spoke of her father.

"It'll be alright," Gael spoke up. "We'll stick to the sea as much as possible and only make discreet stops when absolutely necessary until some of the tension regarding this war dies down and he stops sending soldiers after you. The Finch can outrun any of the king's ships on an open sea if she needs to."

"He can't wage war on another country without me," Ainsley said. "He needs the power of a dragonblood to guarantee victory. As long as I'm gone, Fortra is safe."

"And what of your throne?"

She hesitated at the question, twisting her hands together on the table in front of her. "My father will likely invent a story claiming my death when I don't return and he's unable to catch me. After that, I'll wait until he's either old and sickly or already deceased before I return to Ellay and take it."

"That will be years," Ed spoke up. "You'd want to live on a pirate ship for what could easily be a decade or two?"

Gael watched Ainsley's expression flicker at the thought. It shouldn't have stung as much as it did. Of course she couldn't expect the princess to want to live out the rest of her days as a pirate. But a part of her had still hoped.

The kingdom needed Ainsley, and she needed the kingdom just as much. No friendship with a group of pirates could change that.

"We'll cross that later," Gael broke in. "As for everything else, I think we've got a plan now." Without making any conscious decision to do so, her tone switched to decisive and in control so she could push away her thoughts. "Everyone in agreement?"

There were hesitant nods all around, but Ainsley's eyes stayed downcast, hidden by her lashes. She rubbed her thumb over the palm of her opposite hand, tracing over the skin there in apparent deep thought. When she spoke again, her voice was soft but closely guarded.

"I apologize for putting all of you in danger for my sake. It was selfish of me."

Nathe and Gael exchanged a glance, neither sure what to say, but Ed had no such reserve. He leaned over from his spot next to the princess and looped an arm over her shoulders, one hand burying itself in her short hair as he gave it a rough tousle.

"Oh, Princess, don't give yourself quite so much credit. We're all always in danger as it is," he joked, smirking at his former rival.

Gael was relieved to see a smile break on Ainsley's face, like the sun glancing through storm clouds. The captain found a smile that she couldn't resist playing on her lips, too.

"We're all thrilled to have you with us a while longer," she assured her. "We promise."

There was a resounding chorus of agreement, and Ainsley smiled wider and played with the ring Gael had given her.

hey y'all thanks for reading chapter 25! i don't have much to say here except that i'm close to finishing writing—but don't worry, i'm easily over ten chapters ahead so there will still be a few months of content for you to enjoy! please don't forget to vote and comment ^^

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

435 83 16
Since the loss of her magical ship, The Purple Pearl, Captain Herera has been trying to find her enemy and save half of her crew that is being held h...
2.1K 219 42
A loner with a bad attitude and a misplaced princess are forced to work together to free themselves from a hitchstone, a magical jail cell powerful e...
152K 1.9K 10
A Queen who takes her sons bride as her own must deal with the consequences of her selfish behavior. *** Queen Alura is thought to be loved by her w...
189K 13.3K 108
(gxg) Aboard the Scorned Woman, there is a crew pirates that hail from all five Baethean continents. They raid merchant ships and other pirates in th...