Happy April Fools? A KOTLC fa...

By kotlcfanatix

The gang had gathered in Everglen for a sleepover when Sophie shared one human tradition. April Fools. Ever... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE !!
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 22.5
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
ANNOUNCEMENT

Chapter 40

5.4K 72 173
By kotlcfanatix

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THE CHARACTERS. THEY ARE ALL BY SHANNON MESSENGER FROM KEEPER OF THE LOST CITIES.

A/N: Well, I did say I was going to write two chapters today, but I kind of slept early and have forgotten to publish this one.

Anyways, this chapter will change from one POV to another, so take note who's POV it is because you might get confused.

Last remaining chapters, everyone 🥰

----------
Fitz's POV (1st person)
----------

I honestly never thought Sophie would still prepare all of these when she was struggling with the remaining time left.

The moment she handed her bag to me, everyone else left except Mr. Forkle who told me to open it right there and then.

After he lightleaped away, I did what I was told, and I immediately saw a note on top of everything else.

Fitz,

Place all of these under the tree- the memory logs together with the scroll addressed for the person.

I simply did as I was told, after all, I'm going to fetch everyone back in Everglen.

It was only after putting every last one of it that I realized I also had one for myself.

It was almost 11 by that time, so I decided to place it there as well and read it the same time they do.

----------

When I told them to use me as punching bags, that was a sincere statement.

I don't mind, because I know they'll have a lot of unanswered questions and have to blame someone for what they're feeling right now.

Besides, being punched by these guys can't compare to the pain Sophie have to experience.

I went to sit somewhere and read the letter adressed for me. I thought I wouldn't cry tonight, as I tried to send her off with a smile.

But I guess a simple letter from her brings down the facade I've tried hard to build.

I didn't realized I was crying myself, not until I heard myself sob and see the tears on the scroll.

I truly believe I don't have the right to cry anymore, because I've cried with Sophie all throughout the time we've been keeping this as a secret.

Yet, I still ended up crying.

I actually don't want to open the memory log right now, because if I do, I wouldn't be able to take it.

I looked at them, intently reading the scrolls Sophie gave them.

That's when I took my resolve.

I'm going to fulfill my promise to her, starting now.

----------
Tam's POV (1st person)
----------

What. The. Hell?

She was hiding this to herself all along?

I was there, literally close to her, and I didn't even noticed a thing?

Maybe I did, but because she's been so good at hiding it that I didn't want to push her out of it.

I thought she was just having some personal problems, especially since she has a lot to worry about after that incident.

I thought-

No.

I shouldn't be making excuses.

I was just to complacent to think that things would always stay the the same.

But, it's probably also because I trust her, so I was just waiting for her to trust and open up to me.

Then again, thinking about it now wouldn't change anything at this point.

What's done is done.

She decided this herself, and even if I'm not 100% sure of her recklessness, I already said the answer.

I trust her.

She'll come back.

Without fail.

For now, we just need to live our lives for her sake.

The peaceful life she'd want us to experience .

My eyes unconsciously wandered to him- the person who treats Sophie as his everything.

He was still holding the scroll, and even if he was covered in shadows, I know he's hurting- so much that I can't even imagine it.

"THIS MUST BE A JOKE!"

I blinked.

I thought I ended up shouting it out loud.

I may have come to terms with it, but it doesn't mean I'm okay with it.

When I turned my head around, I saw a furious Dex, clunching the scroll on his hand.

Looks like things are about to get real.

----------
Dex's POV (1st person)
----------

I tried reading it again, over and over again, because maybe I skipped something.

Maybe this is the prank.

Maybe this is all a joke.

Maybe Sophie's just somewhere- laughing at us, waiting to shout "Happy April Fools!" just as she usually does.

But, when I looked at the others' expressions- including Wonderboy's, I knew it was real.

A terrifying truth.

A harsh reality.

That's when the pieces started to fall into the right places.

Sophie always missing out- busy or always doing something, Fitz and her always looking like they cried...

The sad smiles.

Those sad smiles they've always brushed off.

The dots finally connected, creating the big picture that I never wanted to see or acknowledge.

"THIS MUST BE A JOKE!" I shouted, mostly to myself.

I want to convince myself that tonight wasn't the last time I'll see Sophie, that she'll suddenly appear in front of me and smile the way she always do.

I snapped my head to Fitz's direction, who didn't even bothered to give me a smile.

That's when I realized that he knew what was coming.

After all, he wouldn't bother telling us something like punch him or whatever.

I walked closer to where he is, yet he firmly stood his ground. His eyes were sad, yet unwavering.

He stayed there, waiting... and waiting.

"Oi, this isn't going to solve anything," Tam said as he stopped me from going further, placing a hard hand over my shoulder.

His eyes were tearing up, and I never expected him to show any signs of weakness such as crying.

I gritted my teeth, knowing that what he said was true, but I need to do something.

I don't know. Just... not stay still.

"I know. I'm not going to do anything I'll regret," I said as he hesitantly released his grip from my shoulders.

"Hey," I said, finally infront of Fitz. He looked straight at me, but you'd never know it was him if it wasn't for his teal eyes.

It's sad and empty, just like a void.

Definitely not the eyes of a wonderboy.

"Did she..." I started. I clenched my free hand until it went white, hoping that it will keep me together- and from punching anybody, or anything.

"Did she really... go?" I said. The statement remained in the air, as I waited for his response.

He gave me a slight nod before saying "Yes, I was with her when she left."

He started crying again, and I realized I was, too. I stood in front of him, not saying anything more.

We just let our sadness overtake us as we cry in silence. Now I understood what she meant in the letter.

Even without photographic memory, I remember everything about her vividly.

So much that it hurts to even remember it. Her smile, her laugh, the expression she makes when she's oblivious, the happiness she feels when she eats mallowmelt.

Everything.

And that's when it hit me.

How much more does it hurt for that certain someone who also have a photographic memory?

I looked back and saw him carefully turning every page of his memory log.

I can't see him due to the darkness, but you don't need to see to know that he's having it the worst among us all.

----------
Linh's POV (1st person)
----------

Why?

Why are you telling me all this?

I should be the one trying to cheer you up, encourage you, and support you.

But, why did it ended up being you who made me feel better?

This is unfair, Sophie.

You've had it rougher than any of us, and yet you decided to make us happy with your presence, knowing what's about to come.

That's unfair.

You should've warned us a little.

Then maybe, it wouldn't pain us this much.

But then again, you weren't warned as well, right?

I rolled the scroll back up and held it near my chest, hugging it for dear life. I heard Dex shout, but I was too sad to even flinch at his furious voice.

I heard Tam stop him from going to Fitz, but honestly? Everything that happened next was a blur.

I was more concerned with the girl next to me, who was really crying her heart out. It felt like she's going to break any moment, so I went near her and offered my arms.

She immediately accepted it and hugged me back. We both cried in each other's presence, trying to share and relieve the sadness we have in our hearts.

----------
Biana's POV (1st person)
----------

When Linh offered her arms, I went ahead and hugged her.

I don't know how she does it, but it's amazing.

She was also falling apart, but she still made some time to share the sadness with me.

Her presence was comforting, but we both know who's presence would be the most comforting at this time.

Unfortunatelt, she's not here, and that's what hurts the most.

"S-she told me she w-was happy. But, were a-all the memories r-really enough for her?" I said, in between sobs.

I haven't opened the memory log yet, and I don't think I'll be able to, for now.

She was just there with us, a while ago.

She was there, right in our reach.

And then, she was nowhere near.

From my sight, I could see my brother and Dex, silently crying in front of each other.

I also wanted to run there and tell Fitz 'Why? Why didn't you stop her?'

But, we all know it's pointless to stop a bird from flying, because that's what she's meant to be.

For the moonlark to freely fly in the sky.

No more shackles, just an endless journey.

"Hey, from what I can see, i-it feels we're too pathetic over here." Linh said, trying to laugh a bit.

"W-what do you mean?" I said, as she released me from her arms.

She pointed behind me, and I saw Keefe.

That's right! Keefe! How is he faring through everything that's happening?

He even decided to open the memory log? I want to say he's so strong, but I know he's also fragile as of this moment.

One blow and he'll break.

"Yeah, you're right. We look pretty pathetic." I said as I tried removing the tears from my cheeks.

Linh grabbed her memory log and said "Want to share the contents?"

I smiled at her and grabbed my memory log as well.

It was better going down through memory lane with someone else, and we get to share to each other what that certain memory was all about.

And then, we'd get to know more Sophie through the eyes of one another.

----------
Keefe's POV (1st person)
----------

I honestly don't know why I opened the memory log.

The letter was painful in itself, and I feel like I'm torturing myself further by going back through memory lane.

I mean, it's not bad in itself.

I just imagined myself looking back time with her, as we slowly turn the pages of our memory logs and relieve the moment in every memory.

Talk about it, laugh together with her, anything.

But, when I saw what the first page looks like, my hand unconsciously continued flipping through the memories.

I want to see how she felt, how she saw the world in her eyes.

And then, there it was, a memory of us meeting in the hallway.

The very first meeting.

I knew that the picture looks great, because she has this photographic memory, but I everything seem to look clearer and better.

I mean, look at me! I look more handsome here!

Okay, stop joking, Keefe Sencen. Now's not the time.

The pages flowed, until I reached the page where we first kissed.

The aurenflare night.

It was dark, and it was just a silhouette of us, but it's as if she was here next to me, because I can feel how she felt at that moment.

Scared, uncertain, resolved.

Love.

I felt the others looking at me, and I believe they can't see me crying, but either way, I don't care.

I miss her everyday.

I mean, I already miss her the moment she's away from me, what more now that she's really away from all of us?

I reached the end of the memory log, and there was something sticking at the back of the cover.

Something that looks like a secret compartment.

I pulled the paper out, and a ring fell together with it.

I flipped the paper, and saw a picture of Sophie with the same ring in her hands. Under the picture was a small note that says:

This is a promise ring. I don't mind you not wearing it, but I'll wear mine until you finally give me another ring. -Foster <3

When I thought I have finally stopped crying, this girl gave me another reason to do so.

I looked at the ring on the picture, and a small ice blue gemstone was shining from it.

I looked at mine and saw that the gemstone was colored amber with gold.

Our eyes.

I looked more and saw a tiny inscription inside it.

I love you. S.E.F.

"What do you mean I'm not wearing this? I'm totally wearing this and will never remove it for the rest of my life!" I whispered to myself as it slowly fits into my finger.

I carefully placed the memory log and the scroll back where I first saw it and finally looked at the rest of them.

Linh and Biana were looking at each other's memory log, looks like they've been crying and laughing over the memories.

Dex was walking back to where his memory log was- okay what? Where did he go?

Tam was tearing up- TEARING UP!!! while looking through his memory log.

My eyes then wandered to Fitz, who was sitting there, looking back at me.

He has opened the scroll, I'm pretty sure, but he has yet to open the memory log.

I went over to and sat next to him. "Aren't you going to be angry at me?" He said, which made me laugh a bit.

But, when I saw his expression, I knew he was serious.

"Why would I? You didn't have any choice but to keep it a secret, either." I said.

He looked down and saw the ring in my hands, making him look back up.

"Yeah, it's embarrassing, but Foster was the one to give me a ring." I said, making him laugh a bit.

I sighed and placed an arm over his shoulder.

"Look, I know how you feel- and heck I feel it more now that I've touched you! But, don't worry about us. Worry about yourself. You've had it worse than us. For weeks- months, you knew and you still made her happy. I'm thankful about that, by the way."

He's starting to look like Fitz again, but the sadness is still evident, and I can't blame him for that.

"I'm guessing he told you to take care of me?" I asked and he avoided my gaze. "I guessed right, then." I sighed.

I patted his shoulder and removed my arm around his. "Look, I'll be okay. We just need to... process everything, slowly. But, look at them." I said, pointing to the others under the Four Seasons Tree.

"We're all finding ways to cope with it. It won't be okay again, but it'll get better." I added. He slightly nodded and picked up the memory log.

I didn't mean to pry, but I was curious as how they met, so I just took a tiny peek at the first page... and there it was! Their first meeting back in the Forbidden Cities.

Fitz smiled a bit, probably relieving the memory, but started crying again.

I left him alone in his personal bubble as I went back to where my memory log is.

I laid down, placing an arm under my head while looking at the ring in my hand.

"I love you too, Sophie. I hope you know that." I whispered as I closed my eyes, dreaming of her.

----------

A/N: This one was pretty short compared to the previous one's, but I think it's fine that way. Anyways, we are pretty close to the finale!!! Stay updated 👀

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

345K 4.5K 36
A kotlc fan fiction taking place right after Legacy. Caution: CONTAINS A LOT OF SOKEEFE FLUFF! (Completed)
139K 1K 34
Hi guys! This is my first story, so if all goes well, I'll make another KOTLC story! Hope you enjoy it! Story: Sophie and Fitz are both oblivious to...
5.2K 98 22
During a sleepover at Everglen, Sophie, Keefe, Fitz, Dex, and Biana decide to get their matchmaking scrolls. When Sophie's comes, to her surprise, Ke...
69.7K 830 21
Sophie and Keefe both go to Foxfire Highschool, but when they both develop feelings will they become more than friends? Highest Rankings; #1 in sokee...