MALAKAI (The 'Mala Series' bo...

By gbebia

Kai is one of the greatest sword fighters in all six kingdoms, of course the six kingdoms don't know that. He... More

ct-1 Arocelli
ct-2 Katherine
ct-3 The Other side
ct-4 The Resolve
ct-5 Into the woods
ct-6 The Castle
ct-7 Hidden in plain slight
ct-8 Kai's Day One
ct-9 The ball
ct-10 The voice
ct-11 Uncle Jerome
ct-12 Mala ball
ct-13 Feelings?
ct-14 Staying away
ct-15 No more fretting
ct-16 Too smooth
ct-18 Come clean
ct-19 Malakai
ct-20 Levi
ct-21 The Attack
ct-22 Whats the plan?
ct-23 Divide and conquer
ct-24 Safe travels
ct-25 Heading for the gala
ct-26 What slides and slithers in the woods
ct-27 No semblance of normal
ct-28 prepare for battle
ct-29 WAR! pt-1
ct-30 WAR! pt-2
ct-31 WAR! pt-3
ct-32 gods and sacrifices - Final Chapter

ct-17 The end of the beginning

28 8 6
By gbebia

Kai jerked awake. It was three am. There were screams coming from everywhere. He quickly put on a shirt and grabbed heros.

Then there was an impatient knock on his door. Kai walked slowly to the door. The handle was being jerked now.

"Guardian." Kai heard a voice call in a whisper shout.
"Guardian it's Keita."

Kai rushed to the door and unlocked it, opening to reveal a Keita that looked as though he just got out of bed. His hair was messy and he was in what looked like pajamas, sword in hand. He was panting.

"What's going on Keita?" Kai asked calmly.

"Men in black wears, they're attacking the castle." Keita said.

Kai raced out of the castle. The first person in mind was Katherine. Keita ran beside him. The maids were screaming as the guards fought against the black clothed men. Swords clanged loudly.

The men in black kept pouring in. This was a surprise attack. Even the guards on duty couldn't have seen this coming. The guards were being slaughtered but the castle staff were being backed into a corner.

Something else was in play, something Kai couldn't figure out. Why did these attires seem so familiar.

Four men in black suddenly appeared in front of Kai and Keita. Kai looked to Keita.

"You good?" He asked. For the first time, Keita smirked confidently as he looked to the attackers.

"Yeah I'm good." Keita said.

The four men attacked. Two moving for Kai and the other two for Keita. Kai was in no mood to play around. He finished the two off in three slashes. Heros was heavy to anyone but him, he could be as fast with it as he could with a knife.

Kai turned back to see Keita facing off with the other two attackers. He would have gone to help but Keita was handling things well.

Keita jammed the hilt of his sword into one of the men's face then drove the blade into the neck of the other. Then he slashed the neck of the hilt jammed man.

"Impressive." Kai said as Keita smirked. He took off, heading for Katherine's house. He couldn't help anyone here now. The princess was his number one priority.

Kai reach the princess' door. The guards who were  usually there lay on the floor bloody...dead. Kai's heart banging almost through his chest, he bursted through the door in one kick. He walked through the foyer, Keita trailing behind.

He wasn't prepared for who he saw. Katherine sat at the foot of the living room sofa with a sword to her throat. Her mouth was tied, her hands and legs bound.

Perched atop the sofa was a bare headed man, bushy brows, fine features and a muscular build. Legs crossed and as calm as calm could be.

"I was wondering when you would get here." The man said.

"Let her go." Kai said with as calm a voice as he could manage.

"Nice to see you too...little brother." Viktor said. His accent had a draw to it, as did all Mojhans. But Kai had slowly gotten rid of the accent.

So Viktor had found him after all. And now he had Katherine at a swords edge. Kai was calculating every possible escape, as Katherine's eyes widened in shock. He could see the hurt and confusion in her terrified eyes.

"Let her go." Kai said again.

"What's the rush? I let her go and we start fighting. Let's just talk, I mean, don't you want to know what's happening? If I wanted only you, why would I have the Princess of Arocelli at a swords edge?" Viktor said.

Kai lowered his sword, nodding for Keita to do the same. Viktor smiled.

"Well you see brother. While the cadre searched for you, a secret organization found us. They call themselves magic. It seems actual magic exists, crazy right? I mean you've seen the elf. So they offered us your head, riches and blah blah blah. We in return would help them lay siege to this castle. Now here's the interesting part. How did we get in? How did we know your weakness?" Viktor shifted the knife against Katherine's neck making her squirm slightly.

"How did we know the perfect time to attack? I'll tell you how. You see, lord Jerome is part of the magic organization, and his daughter Elena has been a spy for as long as she's been here." Viktor said. Then he began chuckling.

Katherine's eyes widened, and then a drop of tear rolled down her cheeks.

It was all a play. Jerome's timing was suspicious but no one suspected this. And Elena, how she had played the castle. She had been an informant for the secret organization.

Magic? There was an organization called magic out there that had done all this. But why?

"I see you're confused brother. Let me explain to you." Viktor's lazy voice said. "Apparently the kings of all the kingdoms excluding Arocelli, are the head of this organization. They work for someone called...Babayega."

Everything stopped for Kai.

"Such a funny name. The cadre have never seen Babayega but he's not the one we made a deal with. The organization says Babayega is a powerful magical force, this and that you know stupid ancient shit. Babayega wants to rule the six kingdoms but the Queen stands in his way. If they brought her in, she'd never agree with the kind of things Babayega did. Very very bad things. Anyways, he brainwashed some elves and made them try to kill the princess. Eliminate the next in line, smart move. Unfortunately one of the elves was captured, which made killing the Queen very important." Katherine began to jerk beside Viktor.

"What did you do with the Queen?" Kai asked

"Oh no I didn't do anything. By now she's reached the island. She's basically walked to her death." Viktor said.

Katherine jerked beside him and cried.

"Relax princess. I'm not done. The organization needed someone with their interests at heart. Who better than Jerome to take over Arocelli. He'll announce the Queen was lost at sea and the princess suffered a trauma such that she can't lead the kingdom. The people will buy it. Jerome rules. Babayega wins." Viktor said.

"You know something Viktor?" Kai said

"Hmm?"

"You always did talk too much."

Kai sent a dagger flying. It went through Viktors shoulder. Mateo immediately tackled Viktor, both of them making the sofa fall backwards. Kai rushed to Katherine and cut the binds on her hands and legs as Mateo wrestled with Viktor.

Kai removed the cloth tied to her mouth. Then he got her up and set her behind him as he stepped backwards towards the room exit.

Viktor got up with Keita. He had a dagger to Keita's throat. Kai's heart clenched slightly. Viktor looked straight at Kai, reading his emotions.

"You always were a softy brother. You care for a guard? Pathetic" Viktor said.

"Hey guardian." Keita said in a rasp. "It seems we did become friends."

Then Viktor slid the blade across Keita's throat.

No. No.

Kai felt Katherine tugging his shirt. He turned to her. Tears were now streaming down her cheeks. He couldn't fight now. He had to get her to safety.

Another one. Viktor had taken another one.

He ran out the room with Katherine, as Viktor threw a dagger that grazed his cheek. He slaughtered as many men in black as he could.

The castle gates would be guarded by the men in black. The only way they were leaving this castle alive was through the princess' secret tunnel.

They made their way there, blood dripping from Kai's cheek. It was dark in the tunnel but they felt their way out. Once outside the castle gates, the question of where to go was written in their eyes.

There was only one person Kai knew in the city.

******

Esther sat in a large room where the summit was held, Nesta and captain Mateo standing on both her sides. The Kings of the other five kingdoms were seated too. They were all seated in a circle, with
considerable space separating them.

King Ghandu of Baros, King Eshu of Mohja, King Ferdinand of Embberdale. The three kings of the kingdoms across the sea sat furthest from her.

King Cedric of Guresque and King Ronan of Belvedere sat closest to her. Beside them were one or two men, ready to defend them should a problem arise.

Except Ghandu who believed in the might of women. Beside him were two women with long curved swords and short tribal wear.

The elf knelt, chained to the floor in the middle of the circle. Everyone looked to him.

"Amazing." King Cedric whispered.

"Has he given you answers for his actions lady Queen?" Ferdinand asked.

"No. Even under severe torture." Esther said.

The Kings all looked to themselves.

"I suppose that's good news gentlemen." King Ferdinand said.

"I beg your pardon?" Esther asked, confused as to why this would be good news.

"Well you see, you wouldn't understand little Esther." King Ferdinand said.

Little Esther?

Esther saw Nesta, from the corner of her eye, reach for the hilt of her sword.

She saw the way the guards of the Kings gripped their swords as though preparing for a fight.

King Ferdinand looked to the other Kings as though asking for permission to do something. Then he got up, making Mateo and Nesta even more tense.

"And that's the problem, you'd never understand." King Ferdinand said as he walked and crouched before the elf.

Something wasn't right here. They all knew something she didn't.

"And Babayega needs someone who understands." King Ferdinand said.

The Elf suddenly lifted his head when he heard Babayega's name. Esther immediately remembered that the elf had mentioned Babayega. And Katherine had told her about how the ancient books described him as evil.

What the hell was going on?

"You know Babayega?" Esther asked.

King Ferdinand put his fingers on the elf's chin and lifted the elf's head up slightly. Then his black eyes looked directly into Esthers brown eyes.

"And he knows you." King Ferdinand said as he slit the elf's throat with a dagger she hadn't even seen in his hand.

Esther leaped off her chair sending it clattering to the ground. Everyone remained seated and calm. Nesta and Mateo were suddenly in front of her.

"It's a shame Babayega doesn't like ye juai creatures. This one could have been useful." King Ferdinand said. Then he waved his hand and every standing guard in the room looked towards Esther.

"Nesta." Mateo said. Nesta nodded as she began pulling Esther backwards.

"Wait no." Esther cried, as the guards moved in attack against Mateo. There was no way he would survive against them.

Nesta pulled Esther through the large door that was the exit of the room.

"Don't let her get away." she heard King Ferdinand say.

"We have to help him." Esther said to Nesta who was still tugging her forward.

"We have to get you out of here lady Queen." Nesta said, her voice definite.

They both stepped out of the building into the clatter of swords. Her guards were being attacked and they were losing. Most of the men lying in pools of blood on the ground were wearing the blue and white uniform of Arocelli.

It was five kingdoms against them. They wouldn't survive.

Why was all this happening? Why?!

Nesta cut down every man that tried to attack them. Then they were out of the heat of the battle.

"We need to get on the ship." Nesta said.

They ran as fast as they could towards the ship docked on the far side of the island. Esther could make out its shape now. They'd have a chance at surviving if they could get on the ship.

"Get the ship moving!" Nesta began shouting at the captain who stood on deck.

Then there was a crackling sound. Nesta abruptly stopped running, Esther doing so too. They both turned back to see a canon atop a roof all ready to fire.

"GET DOWN!" Nesta shouted.

They jumped to the ground as a large flaming ball flew over their heads and crashed straight into their ship. Nesta covered Katherine's body as debris rained on them.

The ship was blown to bits.

They looked behind to see the guards of the other kings heading towards them. There was no way they were getting out of this alive.

They got up, Nesta pushed Esther behind her. Sword raised.

"You need to move lady Queen." Nesta said.

"There's nowhere to go." Esther said.

"You cannot die Esther! Move!" Nesta said then charged at the guards. She was outnumbered. If they were regular guards they would be dead by now, but they weren't.

Esther began to walk backwards as Nesta tried her best to hold them off. Even with their number and skill they still couldn't bring her down easily.

"Need help lady Queen?" Someone said behind her.

She whipped her head backwards to see a man, brown hair, gray eyes and tall frame. He held a staff. And beside him was another elf. The most beautiful being Esther had ever seen.

"I can get you out of here but you have to trust me." The man said.

Esther looked to Nesta who had earned herself a break by cutting down one of the guards. Nesta looked back at Esther.

"Go!" She said. A tear ran down Esthers cheek as she stepped back towards the man. He stretched his hand and she took it.

Then she saw Nesta get stabbed in the gut.

"Nesta!"

Lightening engulfed her and they disappeared from the island.

                                      ******

Garett was prepared to look for the one destined for the mala ball. He could feel it in his mind, the whispers of the mysts. It was time to go.

He told the chief, who then left to gather the other representatives. Then he went to Sharaya and Cen's cabin. Roudog was there. They were all sitting and discussing.

"Nice of you to visit us oh great know it all." Roudog said with a sarcastic tone.

"I'm leaving." Garett said.

Cen got up and hugged him.

"Come back soon." she said. Then pulled off and left the cabin. Roudog just stared at him.

"Can I get a minute alone with Sharaya?" Garett asked. Roudog looked like he would eat Garett's head.

This one is a threat to peace. Kill?

No! Roudog is not the evil okay?

He felt the mysts ease off. Sharaya nodded to Roudog who gave Garett a withering look and exited the cabin. Sharaya got up.

"You know he's in love with you right?" Garett asked.

"When will you be back?" Sharaya asked, averting the question.

"Before the evil breaches the barrier." Garett answered. "Hopefully."

He reached out to cup her face but she stepped away from his touch. He felt his heart clench slightly.

"I'm sorry. But you're not just...you anymore." Sharaya said.

She was right. He felt more confident, more powerful. He had so much knowledge but it seemed that knowledge was now making him distant from those around him.

"I understand." Garett said. Then left the cabin.

A few hours later, he was at the entrance to the village, Amish beside him. The representatives were all in front of him.

Nathan The Chief And representative of the fae's, Gruff the representative of the trolls, Adium of the goblins, Xander of the werewolves and the pixie whose name was -

He struggled to get the name from his mind. The mysts came through. Quin, Quin of the Pixies.

"Bring him, Alum." The Chief said. There was an eerie reverence in his tone and their looks save Gruffs stone face.

Come to think of it, through the week there had been no murderous glares directed at him, and he had noticed Cen talking to a werewolf comfortably.

Garett nodded. Garett and Amish both held a backpack with her which held some clothes. Amish had a sword sheathed beside her while Garett held his staff.

"Are you sure food won't be necessary?" Adium asked.

"I think we'll be fine." Garett said. Then he struck the end of his staff on the ground. Lightening enveloped them.

Now they were in a place that was nothing but pure white.

"Where are we?" Amish asked.

"I believe we're in the alumnai realm. It's like a pocket dimension."

It is not a pocket dimension. The mysts said angrily.

"It's the dimension we're stored in when traveling with their power. If it were just me, there would be no need to be in this dimension, I would have been there by now, but you slow me down." Garett said.

"Not much to see." Amish said, looking around.

"Our human eyes cannot see what is here."
Garett said.

"Why am I really following you? I head my people. I'd be more useful leading them than following you."
Amish said.

"I don't know why you're here Amish." Garett said honestly. All he had was a feeling, that her presence would be useful in the future.

"Strange." she said.

"The mysts indeed are very strange. Now steel your stance, we're here." Garett said.

Suddenly the white faded into sand and trees and debris. His mind immediately connected with the chaos around him. He was on dead island. At least that's what it was called five hundred years ago.

The Queen was in front of him.

We need her, for emotional balance. The mysts said.

"Why are we here?" Amish asked

"Apparently we need her." Garett said to Amish. "Need help lady Queen?" Garett called to the Queen.

She looked back at him, her features terrified. He didn't need to read her mind to know she was deeply confused of everything.

"I can help you, but you need to trust me." he said. The Queen turned her gaze back to a raven haired lady fighting against several people. His instinct was to help this person the Queen seemed to care for.

She is not part of the plan. The mysts said. If you choose to carry her, you will not reach your desired location. You will instead find yourself dying in the bottom of the sea, the three of them dying with you. Your mortal body is already weak from the first transporting. Take the Queen and leave now.

Garett hesitantly obeyed the mysts by stretching his hand towards the Queen.

"Go!" The raven haired lady shouted. The Queen took his hand, and as lightening enveloped them, a sword was thrusted into the raven haired woman.

"Nesta!" The Queen shouted. Now they where in the alumnai realm. The Queen knelt and began crying. She was obviously oblivious to the fact they where in a place of pure white and nothing.

Garett and Amish exchanges looks. Then Amish crouched beside the Queen and tried to comfort her. The Queen seemed so taken by pain that she leaned into the comfort of an elf and cried harder.

It wasn't just the raven haired girl she cried for, Garett realized as pieces of her mind began touching his. There was so much she couldn't explain, and so many people she had lost, and so many whose fate she did not know of, like her sister.

A minute later, he told them to get up and steel their stance. A street began to materialize. He recognized this street. They were in Arocelli.

I would like to be informed where we're going sometimes. Garett said but the mysts did not reply.

He felt pain rock his whole body as he leaned on his knees. Amish was immediately there supporting him.

"Alum." she said "traveling weakens you."

"It would seem so. Don't call me Alum here. Just Garett okay?" Garett said. She nodded.

"I don't even understand how I'm suddenly in my kingdom but I need to get to the castle." The Queen said.

There is much chaos in her castle. You know where you must go. The mysts said.

Garett felt a strong joy when he realized where he was going. And also deep confusion.

"I'm afraid the castle is not safe Lady Queen." Garett said.

"What do you mean not safe? My sister -"

"Needs you to be alive. There is nothing you can do if you run into danger."

"You both can help me."

"No we can't. We'd all die."

Tears began to run down the queen's face.

"I'm sorry lady Queen but we're not safe here. We can talk about your sister later I promise. But for now we need to move." Amish said. "Where to...Garett?"

"Follow me." Garett said as he began to slowly feel ease in his body. He led the way though the dark street. It was about four am.

After almost twenty minutes of walking, he approached a door he had always admired. He drew his hand over its design, then knocked gently on it.

There were shuffling sounds from inside, then a voice he recognized spoke.

"Who's there?"

"It's Garett."

The door was opened gently and slowly. Then he looked into deep dark eyes.

"Garett?" the answerer asked in disbelief, his voice a whisper.

"Hello little brother." Garett said.

"Esther?" Someone from inside said. She came out forcefully like she was being held by someone else. Another white haired lady. "Esther." the girl said trying not to shout as tears streamed down her face.

"Katherine." The Queen whispered behind him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.7K 1.2K 37
"Why-why is he here?" I asked slightly feeling panicked. "Your father, Step- father owes me money. 36 million pounds to be exact." Stefan said as he...
411 169 43
Kai, an assassin, leaves his home and turns away from murder. In an attempt to start life anew, he travels across the sea, to a place called Ath. He...
1.4K 173 24
Hughell is a fighter. Who he fights - what he fights for - doesn't matter. The pounding of his heart and the rush of adrenaline are what the kitchen...
235K 11.7K 103
"You're playing with fire Safania." "Good thing I don't burn." The last words he spoke before throwing me onto my bed sounded like a threat, but felt...