summer romance (e.d.)

By shinydols

"look, i don't need your help, alright?" "clearly you do." anna begins to work as a golf cart driver at a pr... More

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
forty-one
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
forty-five
forty-six
forty-seven
forty-eight
forty-nine
fifty
fifty-one
fifty-two
fifty-three
fifty-four
fifty-five
fifty-six
fifty-seven
fifty-eight
fifty-nine
epilogue

nine

2.5K 48 28
By shinydols

anna

saturdays and tuesdays are my days off, surprisingly. the sun shines directly on me as i lay out by the pool, sipping on a virgin piña colada that robert made me and finishing my summer reading.

"hey anna!" i hear, making me turn my head in all directions.

i see liam grinning at me, hand up in a wave at the gate to the beach walk.

laughing, i get out of my chair and lean against the gate.

"what're you doing here?" i ask, trying to suppress my smile.

"i was surfing and saw you out here," he says, motioning his head to the waves. "why're you at the dolan's?"

i hesitate. "i... i live in their guest house for the summer. they're family friends."

technically it wasn't a lie, but it wasn't the truth.

"cool," he thankfully grins. "do you maybe want to go get a smoothie? there's a place not far from here."

from my week in california, i haven't really left the country club. it's still my summer, whether i have a job or not.

"of course," i say, hoping to sound not too excited. "let me change," i motion to the baby blue bikini that would be very improper to go out in public in.

"me too. i'll pick you up at the guest house in 20?" he asks.

i nod. "i'll see you then."

he throws me a peace sign as he walks away, and i scramble to pick up my belongings from the side of the pool.

i internally shriek at the fact that a guy who looks like a model asked me out for smoothies, and creep up the side of the house.

i'm too busy adjusting my sunglasses to notice the person i walked into in front of me.

"oh my gosh, i'm so sorry," i begin to say, hoping it's not lisa dolan.

the face that stares back at me is almost worse than if i literally ran into my boss.

"hi, ethan," i sigh at his scowling expression.

"watch where you're going," he says bitterly.

he's shirtless and wearing a pair of white swim trunks, telling me that i just narrowly avoided his presence at the pool. i can't help but notice his toned abs and arms, but quickly avert my eyes back up to his.

"sorry," i mumble. "i just—"

"is it your day off?" he asks.

"yeah...?"

"good. so you're leaving for the day?" he asks hopefully.

"yes," i frown. "don't get too excited."

"where're you going?"

"to get smoothies with liam."

her raises an eyebrow, a hint of a laugh in his eyes. "... to get smoothies... with liam..."

"yes," i say, straightening my posture and folding my arms in front of me. "what's it to you?"

"oh nothing," he laughs humorously. "just don't have too much fun."

he pushes past me, heading straight for the pool.

"what's that supposed to mean?" i call out.

he doesn't answer, and i huffily stomp to the guest house.

i throw off my bikini and change into a pair of ripped jean shorts and a tube top, pairing it with a dainty necklace. my birkenstocks are my summer go-tos, as basic as it sounds, so i slip into a pair of those as well.

i brush my hair through, leaving it down as i apply some concealer under my eyes and on my forehead, and some blush to my cheeks. my mascara is an oldie but a goodie, and i think i've had it since middle school.

i'm swiping some clear gloss onto my lips when i hear a small car horn outside. smiling, i pocket my phone and rush out the door.

liam sits in a nice, white bronco, the top down and music blasting through his car speakers.

"hi again," he says as i slide into his passenger seat.

"hi again," i smile.

"you look nice," he says lightly, looking at me through the top of his sunglasses.

"thank you," i reply, laughing a little. "i didn't know if my clothes fit to the california standard."

he chuckles, pulling out of the small driveway. "nah, not that many expectations here."

but i think we both know that's a damn lie.

everyone here is perfect. no flaws about them whatsoever, and liam literally proves that theory.

i admire his blonde curls as they move in the wind and how he pops his gum every couple of minutes. his playlist isn't one i'd choose myself, but he seems to like it so i pretend i do as well.

"i hope you like smoothies," he says after a bit, smile present on his tan face. "sorry, i forgot to ask."

"i love smoothies."

"what's your favorite?"

"what's yours?" i ask back.

he laughs. "on three, ready? one, two, three."

"mango," i answer, but at the same time he says, "wild berry."

"dang it," he frowns slightly. "coulda been the same."

"wild berry isn't so bad," i shrug.

"i can tolerate mango," he says, going along.

we look at each other and laugh as he pulls into the smoothie shop.

we walk in, brushing arms slightly at some points. the small shop smells like fresh fruit, and i inhale the heavenly scent.

"it does smell good in here," liam says, noticing my actions.

"sorry, that was weird," i laugh. "i shouldn't have just... started sniffing the air."

he only smiles. "it was cute."

i blush beet red as it comes to our turn to order.

"can we get a medium mango smoothie, and a medium wild berry, please?" liam asks the woman behind the counter.

"of course. your total comes out to be $7.56." she says.

i reach for my card in my pocket, but he pushes my hand away.

he looks at me like i'm crazy, but while maintaining a smile. "you're funny if you think you're buying."

i know the gesture is meant to be nice, but it has always gotten on my nerves when guys make fun of me for wanting to buy my own food. i'm very well capable of doing it.

i smile weakly and nod. "thank you."

our smoothies get handed to us, and liam picks out a two person table by the window.

i take a sip from the straw, and immediately close my eyes, wanting to savor the taste.

i feel his eyes on me, and a smile on his face when he asks, "it's good?"

i nod. "very."

"good. hey, um, what do you know about the dolans?" he asks curiously, playing with his straw.

i furrow my eyebrows. "i know a bit. why?"

"just wondering," he shrugs. "but are you friends with the twins? ethan and grayson?"

i roll my eyes at the mention of ethan's name. "hardly," i say. "grayson's fine, but ethan's an asshole."

he leans in a little bit. "oh really?"

"yeah. he's stuck up and rude all the time," i find myself staring out the window, shaking my head. suddenly i turn my eyes back to him. "why're you asking?"

"no reason," he says with ease, leaning back in his chair. "just curious, that's all. they seem so perfect all the time."

i wrinkle my nose. "really?"

"totally. their dad was an amazing golfer. apparently he left his entire business to his sons. too bad ethan sucks on the green," he snickers, putting the straw between his lips.

and suddenly i feel defensive.

"i don't think mr. dolan would've wanted his son talked about like that," i frown.

he gives me a funny look, and sets down his cup. "you're not like... with him are you?"

i shake my head. "of course not. i literally said he was a jerk like, two minutes ago. i just wouldn't go after him personally like that. you don't know him like i do."

he smiles slightly. "fair enough, anna. my bad. i hope you can forgive me."

and just like that— he's perfect again.

"of course."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.7K 1.6K 30
It's finally a new start for Sam, that after living a hell in high school, is now ready to start college. But what will she do if her new roommate i...
213K 3.6K 52
You're a kindergarten teacher that is fairly new to the job and is very careful about following the rules because of how much you enjoy the job and n...
9.3K 220 25
Welcome to your new life in New Jersey. Awaiting you, is pain, yet love and adventure. And through it all you have Grayson and Ethan Dolan by your si...
26.3K 433 35
graysondolan snapped you! ethandolan snapped you! - cuddlingdolan 2017