Happy April Fools? A KOTLC fa...

By kotlcfanatix

The gang had gathered in Everglen for a sleepover when Sophie shared one human tradition. April Fools. Ever... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE !!
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 22.5
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
ANNOUNCEMENT

Chapter 35

5.4K 78 434
By kotlcfanatix

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THE CHARACTERS. THEY ARE ALL BY SHANNON MESSENGER FROM KEEPER OF THE LOST CITIES.

A/N: I don't know if this will make you all mushy and sad, but I imagined this chapter and it made me so sad. Just saying, you can go on and read now!

P.S. this will be another long chapter.

----------
3RD PERSON
----------

Their cognate test will take place during their Telepathy session, meaning their friends can't exactly watch and wait for the results.

The only people who will know first are themselves, the councilors, and their parents.

Before they proceed to their room, their friends told them 'goodluck' and 'we know you guys can do this' before going to their own classes- except Keefe who'll be ditching at his favorite spot.

Fitz softly squeezed Sophie's hand as they make their way to their room.

"You ready?" He asked.

Sophie gulped, looking at her soon to be cognate and the big door in front of them.

"Yeah." she finally answered as they both pushed the door opened.

Inside, Tiergan and the councilors have been expectantly waiting for them. Tiergan explained what will happen once again, and gestured for them to start whenever they're ready.

As expected, Oralie is the empath who will oversee their emotions, so that made Sophie relaxed a bit.

"Hey, before we start, can I just... prepare myself?" Sophie asked Fitz and he nodded.

"Yeah, me too. Tell me when you're ready." He replied as he started taking in deep breaths.

Sophie closed her eyes and looked as if she was mentally relaxing herself, when she's actually transmitting to someone.

Umm, Oralie? I'm sorry I know this is very impolite- and would land me on a tribunal, but is it okay if I ask you a favor? Oralie didn't flinch at all, so no one looked at them suspiciously.

What is it, Sophie? She asked in a motherly tone. She tried to look calm from where she was sitting to avoid getting unwanted attention.

I'm... going to tell Fitz everything, including the... mission... and I know his emotions will really spike, to say the least... so... can you not report that?

Oralie was silent for a moment, probably thinking if she would accept her favor or not. So you're basically telling me to lie? she said, but not in an angry tone.

That made Sophie relax a bit.

Not really, I know we'd really get emotional at some point, but please wait until we're done. You can decide for yourself by then. Sophie transimtted back.

Oralie nodded, which meant she was ready. She turned to look back at Fitz, who looked ready as well.

We good? -S

Yeah. -F

Their hands snapped together due to the effects of their cognate rings. They didn't bother removing it, instead, they hold onto it as if it was the only thing left keeping them sane.

"We're ready." They both announced. Oralie stood and went closer to them, nodding at them to tell that they can start.

They sat in the floor, like how they usually do during their session. It was more comfortable, and it kind of became their habit by now, so it was not surprising.

Sophie squeezed Fitz's hand and transmitted It's not like I don't wanna go first, but I think mine's the closing act. If you don't mind going first then I'll appreciate that.

Fitz looked worried and hesistant, but he has steeled himself already over it, and decided to just be done and get over it.

Okay. I don't know if this is still a secret, but... I like you, Sophie. Actually, I love you. I realized I liked you after being impaled by that stupid giant bug, then later on, I realized that I already love you at that point. I just never thought about it, and it seems like I've liked you way before that.

Sophie was a bit startled to hear that, not because it was unexpected, but because it was the Fitz Vacker telling her.

Oralie sensed the shift in emotions, but she announced "It's okay. Just a minor disturbance." which meant Sophie was just shocked, as expected.

Okay, wow. I mean, yes I'm oblivious, but I just didn't really expect to hear that from you. she said after finally digesting his words.

You can reject me right here, right now. Everyone knows you're with Keefe, you know.

You're... kinda wrong about that. Your secret is apparently connected to mine.

How? Fitz asked, looking confused by now.

Sophie took another deep breath before responding I like you. Heck, I think I even loved you at some point.

...What?

Okay, confusing I know. Let me explain. The ultimate secret I never told you since before was my crush over you. I liked you the moment I saw you. Kinda silly, huh. She transmitted, softly laughing mainly to relieve her nervousness.

Then, at some point, I knew my silly crush on you wasn't a simple crush. It's been 4 years Fitz, and I only realized that I have loved you at some point recently before the forgotten memories event happened.

But... Sophie sighed, a hint of sadness in her eyes. During the time I loved you, I kind of have fallen in love with Keefe, too. Bash me all you want, but I don't think loving two people at the same time is bad. Heck, I didn't even knew I loved the both of you at the same time! I'm not justifying myself, but that's beside the point. Sophie said, swatting the air using her other hand to say 'let's move on from that'.

Anyways, everything I said is true. I liked you, and I've loved you, and I even think that there's still a tiny bit of me that still does.

Fitz shifted his weight to sit more comfortably, not removing his eyes from her but..? He prompted.

Deep inside, I knew it has always been him all along. Sophie bit her lower lip, knowing that they're both hurting each other by now. But, she can't even fathom how he would react later, on her last secret.

He gave her a weak smile, before saying I knew too. I just thought I had a chance.

You had a chance. Heck, if you probably confessed to me before, we would've probably become a thing.

But in the end, you'll still end up with him, right? Fitz said, continuing her statement. Sophie didn't nod or anything, but silence was the best answer Fitz could ever ask for.

Thank you for being honest. Fitz said. A tear rolled down from Sophie's cheek, which he immediately removed with his thumb. Hey, I didn't tell you that for you to be sad.

I know, but it's just... plain sad. I hurt you.

Yeah, and you'll eventually hurt one of us if you're doing it right. I don't mind being hurt by you, anyways. He let out a small chuckle before going back to his original position.

This is a common cliche line in the human world movies, but I think I finally get it why we say this. Maybe, in another lifetime, we could be. But of course, elves have indefinite lifespan so just scratch that. Sophoe said, after feeling embarassed over herself.

Nah, I'll hold onto that. A possibility is better than none. Fitz replied, making her heart lighter even for a little while.

Fitz squeezed her hand, telling her it's okay to tell him the last secret. Sophie took another deep breath, calming herself before she could run away and go to the forbidden cities, right there and then.

Fitz, I already told you I remember everything right?

Yeah.

And that I'm going to finish Foxfire the same time as you.

Yeah.

I'm going to tell you the reason now.

...Okay.

I'm already telling you this in advance, it might fail us if you know.

Don't worry. We could still apply for another test anytime.

That's the point, we CAN'T.

Fitz blinked, replaying the conversation in his head. Why?

Because...

Because... Soph? Why are you crying?

Sophie didn't actually realized that she was, not until Fitz stated. Tiergan was looking at both of them with sad eyes.

He was the one in charge to check on their conversation, and he knows how hard it is for Sophie to tell him.

Because I'll be going on a mission. She finally said, after a dreadful minute. Wait, let me finish first before you... say what you want because I know you'll have lots or you'll have none after this.

She waited for Fitz answer, and the closest thing to an answer was a hesitant nod.

Okay, first, don't hate me for this. I really, really need you to understand why this is a secret, and all the reasons behind it.

Okay. Fitz said in a heartbeat. Sophie hopes that he'll stay true to his word and won't.. react that much in the end.

I... am going on a mission. Yes, as in a solo mission, because it's on the Forbidden Cities. The Neverseen is alive, and they're luring me back into the Forbidden Cities. I can't just sit here and watch as my first home... what? Fall to ashes? No matter what anyone says, I'm going.

To be honest with you... when I first heard about it, I was frustrated. Heart broken, at that. Even without my memories back then, I was happy creating new memories with all of you guys. You don't know how much it pained me to know that I'll be leaving all of you behind, not when I'm finally living a new life...

Then I remembered everything, and it hurt more than anything I've ever felt. To think... that I've left the Forbidden Cities to save this world, and now I am saving both cities under the clutches of the same enemy?

It's hard, really. But, no matter who I am, Forbidden Cities has and will always be my first home... and I won't let them take it away from me. Lure me for all I care, I don't care, Fitz. But, I care about the world they're destroying right now.

But... I also care about my life here, as this has been my home now. It breaks my heart to part with you all, and honestly I never wanted to tell anyone that I remember them, or even date anyone of you... because I know that in the end, I'll be leaving all of you behind.

I'm not sure if any of you will even remember me by the time I finish, or if I even get to finish this mission at all... It hurts more than dying, and sometimes I wish that I should've never met you all again after forgetting.

It sucks, really. There are no words to describe how much it pains me to hide this from all of you... and decide to suddenly disappear and save the world from evil without knowing if I'll ever make it back. It's just...

I-I'm sorry.

If tranmission voices could crack, Sophie's last sentence sounded like that. It took all her willpower to say everything, even when she knows they're both crying and shaking right now.

"Oralie?" One of the councilors asked. Of course, us crying means it's a definite spike in emotions.

I don't know if Oralie is doing my favor right now or what, but she said "Everything's under control." and everyone believed her.

In the next seconds, Fitz pulled her in for a hug, his own shaking body over hers. I.. honestly don't know what to tell you. Sure, I am frustrated because you didn't tell me, and because we can't infiltrate or go on the mission with you.

But, I also understand why you have to keep it away from us. Though, saying that I understand it is an understatement... I know and understand WHY, but I still can't accept it.

It's a different thing, and I guess you know why.

I don't know how you've hid everything from us, and I can never understand the pain you're going through right now, but... thank you.

For trusting in me.

I know you had a choice not to tell me, because the test only said to tell each other our secrets, and it doesn't include confidential data, but you still decided to trust me.

If... we are still going to pass this test- I don't know how with our emotions all over the place, I'd be glad to be your cognate for as long as we live. I may not be physically there for you, but it'd be reassuring to transmit to you once in a while, knowing that you're still out there living under the same sky.

I love you, Soph. Even not romantically, I will always do. We all do. I hope our love is enough to drive you to succeed and come back home.

Sophie clutched unto Fitz's back as she cried into his chest. It was a silent cry, the one which has always been said to be the most painful one.

Tiergan and Oralie let out a sigh of relief, knowing that the two has passed their cognate test- quite dramatically.

After finally calming themselves down, they both released each other, both puffy eyed from the crying session.

Though their hand with their cognates ring still locked together, they're basically back to their original positions.

They looked at each other, giving their most painful but reassuring smile. "We're done." they both announced to everyone in the room.

Everyone clapped at them, as they stood up and held their hands together.

"Now, before you officially become the youngest and strongest cognates we've ever had, you'll still need to go through the last part: the ceremony."

Both of their faces showed puzzled looks as Councilor Oralie placed a thick book in front of them.

"Basically, it's like marriage. You'll say your vows to each other, and then seal it off with a kiss- oh no, not that kiss. A kiss on the forehead, the both of you." she clarified after feeling their emotions went haywire.

The both of them let out a sigh of relief. It's not like they'd hate to kiss each other, but it'll be pretty awkward after the confession they just did.

"The vows work just like in marriage, but in a way, as cognates and not as husband and wife. So the vows are usually about trust and loyalty." Tiergan explained.

"Okay, we'll start. Under the power vested upon me, I, Oralie, shall now present Fitzroy Avery Vacker and Sophie Elizabeth Foster-Ruewen, the two young brave elves as the newest and strongest cognates we've ever seen. The cognates must now state their vows to each other in front of the council."

Okay, this really feels like a wedding ceremony. Sophie transmitted, which made Fitz snort.

I know, we might as well tell them we got married.

Good idea. Sophie said, agreeing to him.

"Okay, Sophie Elizabeth Foster-Ruewen, doing this ceremony and saying this vows to you has been something I've always wanted for a long time. Though I still prefer telling you wedding vows, this will have to suffice."

Sophie laughed a bit at this, and even the councilors found it amusing. Tiergan's laugh was one for the books, though.

"The moment I brought you back home, I knew you'd be someone important to me, and if I were asked tasked to bring you back again in exchange for always disappearing in Foxfire, I'd even skip a whole grade for it. To me, you have been like a little sister, a friend, and now, a cognate. I know we had our share of ups and downs, and heck I'm the one always giving the downs in our relationship, but I am happy that you still managed to trust me. Trusting you was the hardest and easiest thing I ever did, and know that I will forever trust in you with all my mind and my heart." Oralie looked at them happily, as if overseeing two children imitating a wedding.

"That was mushy." Sophie said after his speech, which she received a death glare for.

"I guess it's my turn now." She said, holding both of Fitz's hands. "Fitzroy Avery Vacker, I just wanted you to know that the moment I saw your teal eyes back in San Diego, I already knew I trusted you, and yes, I may have fallen for that eyes too, so stop looking at me like that!" she hissed, which made Fitz laugh.

Tiergan was basically laughing his head off, probably feeling relaxed after the suffocating tension from their test a while ago.

"Anyways, my point is, my trust in you never wavered. Even if you pushed me back, or gave me reasons not to trust you anymore, I always tried to hold unto the boy who brought and introduced me to this world. It was life-changing, and going with you was a decision that I'd never regret- that includes trusting you. For showing me this world, for guiding and bringing me back home, for being my very first elf friend, up to trusting me with all of you, thank you. In return, do believe that my trust for you will never falter, no matter the circumstances we will face."

Oralie placed her hand on top of the book and said "You have now stated your vows to each other, to trust and to hold until death do you part. You may now do the sealing ceremony."

Fitz went first, holding her head and kissing Sophie's forehead with every emotion: love, care, happiness.

Sophie did the same, but in tiptoes. Fitz bowed his head a bit, so she wouldn't have trouble reaching him.

After the ceremony, they immediately felt the effects of being cognates.

"Woah, feels like you've opened up to me now. Literally." He said, trying to adjust to the new feeling.

"I know, it literally feels like 2 minds on me now." She replied.

"That is how this cognate thing works. The more you hide something from each other, the more it gets heavier. When you can't take the weight anymore, the connection will just snap, as if you were never cognates at all." Tiergan explained, before dismissing them.

"Yikes, that's kind of sad." Sophie said, looking at her cognate. "Don't worry, that won't happen to us." Fitz reassured her as they opened the door.

They were hugged by their parents, immediately asking the results. They simply held out their intertwined hands, the one with the cognate rings on, and smiled.

They were greeted with a lot of congratulations and good job from both of their parents, before their faces turn sour.

"What is it?" Sophie asked.

"Dear, why are your faces swollen?" Della exclaimed, which made them look at each other.

Crap, I forgot we cried. -F

Yeah, me too. Della doesn't know about it, what should we tell them? -S

Hmm, follow my lead. -F

As if on cue, their friends have caught of the news and congratulated them, but stopped when they saw their faces.

"What the hell happened??" Dex exclaimed, examining Sophie's face.

"Guys, we're just so happy because..." he intertwined his fingers with her, which she consented to. "We're finally married!" He exclaimed, raising their locked hands up in the air.

"Okay, we get it, you guys are mar-RIED!?!" Tam exclaimed the last syllable, making their other friends realize it too.

Sophie's lips went flat, trying to keep herself from laughing.

"Uh, Foster, I never agreed to a wedding." Keefe said, disbelief painted in his face.

"Well, better believe it, Sencen. I cried over how mushy Fitz's vow was." Sophie replied, acting like taking a tear from her eyes.

"Hey! Yours weren't any better!" Fitz countered back, which made Sophie laugh.

"Shut up, you were totally embarassed during the kiss." she retorted, half regretting the words she just said.

"THE KISS!??!" Everybody except Alden reacted, realizing what they meant.

"Oh, yeah. I remember now. Quentin and I got married too, back in the days." He said, going along with their plans.

Apparently, it was really the procedure since then, and it was a hell lot awkward, being the same gender and all. They usually end up laughing, Alden transmitted the memory to them.

Everyone's jaw were basically on the floor now, but as they were still in shock, Sophie and Fitz transmitted to their parents what they were talking about, and they immediately recovered.

"I guess Fitz is my son-in-law now. Sorry Sencen boy." Grady said, going along with them.

"What? Gradyyyyyyy why did you betray meeeeeeee?" Keefe said, looking all puppy eyes on him. "Fosterrrr, tell me it ain't trueee." He said, but Sophie ignored him.

Suddenly, real tears did appeared out of her eyes, which made Sophie shake from trying to keep her laughter.

"Urgh, shut up. You're too dramatic. Transmit the memory to him, Sophie, before he floods Foxfire with his tears." Grady told Sophie which made her giggle.

"Fine, fine. It won't be fun anymore, though." Sophie said as she started sharing her memories to Keefe.

"What!? Are you trying to kill me by transmitting your and Fitzypoo's kiss?!? Oh- oh." Keefe said, his face went from disbelief to void of any emotions. Fitz laughed so loud that mentors had to silence them.

They all went to Atlantis to celebrate the news, before the whole Elvin world knows of it, which was going to be announced just the very next day.

----------

A/N: 3500 words?!?!?! Man, I outdid myself. Tomorrow's the first day of finals so wish me luck!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

902 8 17
What would've happened if they had already found elisyn before Fitz and Sophie did the inquisition? and more importantly, what happens to Sophie and...
287K 2.1K 40
When Sophie finds out that she is pregnant she doesn't know what to do. Does she tell the dad? Her parents? Her friends? She's in her 2nd year in the...
35.8K 1.3K 56
PLEASE NOTE - YOU DO NOT HAVE TO READ THE KOLTC BOOKS; THIS CAN BE READ ALONE. But, of course, there will be spoilers but I WILL try to limit it. ...
62.5K 549 68
A Sokeefe Fanfiction Sophie and the gang are still at war with the Neverseen. Along with the struggles of fighting, Sophie and her friends are learni...