Family R.O.O.Ts

By AdrianMRivera

When Hinai Usaki prince of Mendella must leave on an important mission, his apprentice, Pein Yagasouri must f... More

Sanyo The Shapeshifter
Vegetables For The Cannibal
The Underdog
One Step Forward & Another Back

Disease & Fruits

453 15 28
By AdrianMRivera

Narrator: Pein Yagasouri 

Chapter 1: Disease & Fruits

Throughtout life there are many phases. From childhood you believe you can be just about anything; a doctor, painter, ninja, scientist, the world's greatest hero, a king even. But then you start to grow up, and you realize that you have to work hard to become anything in this world. I'm starting to grow up, it's not a pleasent experience.

It was exactly six weeks after my brother Tin-Lea and Hinai left the country in pursuit of a jewel theif. Normally any random theif would'nt cause such a stir, atleast enough to be sought after right away. But this one was different, this thief was Hinai's blood brother. Such news was circling around Mendella rather quickly, the papers head lined with bold letters reading Prince? Or Theives Accomplice, or Usaki Family Cheaters, Thieves, Liars. Hinai told us his brother's name was Benvolio and he had been banished from the country after stealing from the royal treasury. He also explained to us that this sudden outbreak of activity was to dishonor the family name before he'd become king the next summer. There was trouble I knew that much, but that was about it. After school let out everyone went their seperate ways. CaSandra went back West in hopes of finding her mother. Vance, Naoko and Charisma, off to Amerfuru to vacation. Nakia and Tiara decided to go for a week or two at the local spa in Vineria. And God only knows were Sanyo ran off to. But me I was left alone, I had no money to go off anywhere fancy. I was a bus boy, working minimum for rent money.

"What will it be today, Pein," a market clerk gestured over to me to come pick out some fruit samples.

"That's very generous of you sir, but im actually on my way across town to meet Kyia."

The storekeepers had known Kyia pretty well. Most often it was her I would mention when I stopped in that part of the village. Not because she was constantly on my mind, it was simply because it was her I was going to see when I was in the area.

"Pretty girl that one is but does she compare to the new shipment of pomegranates," my attention now directed towards his fruit trays.

He knew my weakness well, the smell and taste of fresh fruit made my mouth pool with excitement. It wasn't long before I was reaching for the ripest selection, shoving several slices in my bag.

"That will be three bronze pieces, he said with a smile.

"Thank you kindly."

This time of year the market was always buzzing with crowds of shoppers. Pockets heavy with coins just waiting to be spent on useless nick knacks. There were street performers that acted out scenes of old plays and a different circus every week, Kyia especially enjoyed these. Since Hinai and Tin-Lea left, Kyia had become restless with boredom. It wasn't unusual for her to replace me with their absence, and I really could'nt complain. I respected her, and she respected me. Unlike many her age, being three years older she treated me as a equal.

I walked throught the outskirts of the town until I came upon the edge of a small brook. I followed the water across what seemed to be a bunch of triangles that stood up perpendicular to the tree tops. Some a light blue and some a pinkish red. As I got closer these triangles transformed into large hand crafted tents held up in all different assortments. Kyia was a member of the Mombaii family. They were mostly known for their beauty and supernatural strengh. Just the use of a thumb could send a boulder shattering to pieces, the use of the fist could cause a tremor. They lived in tents to symbolize their ability to withstand trials and hardships. She lived in one of the pink ones further down the lane.

I started to count out exactly how many tents there were. Too many to number in all, so I just counted those down the line. One-two-three-Six. It wasn't until I was up to triangle sixteen that I realized something percular. On any normal day in the Mombaii's village you could see the men out hunting and tilling out farm seed while the women fished or gossiped to themselves. The play of young children hiding and laughing amongst the elder's legs. But today, there was no fresh meat nor fur no fish no whispers. Infact there was'nt a soul in sight. It gave me an ominous feeling in the deepest part of my stomach, as if something terrible had happened. Tent twenty_three, I swung open the fur lined flasp to see a disgruntled figure sitting in the corner. It was Kyia no doubt of that her, elegant brunette hair rested perfectly down on her head, her baby blue eyes gleamed brightly even with the lack of light.

"Kyia?"

"Pein," she said softly, not making eye contact,"it's just terrible."

The feeling returned to my stomach," what's terrible."

She remained silent for several more moments, which was weird for her.

'What's terrible," I repeated.

"The illness," she murmured

"The illness" I thought "What illness?"

She stood seeming a bit weak of her normal statue," theres been a terrible illness going around the village. Many have fallen ill and some of the elderly have died."

I knew what she was getting at in my head, but I didn't want to offer my help before she said it herself. Not because I was selfish, just not very good at offering support. I knew that if it were Hinai-sama he wouldn't hesitate in the least.

"And I know Hinai's been teaching you- and-maybe," she paused again.

"I'd be glad to help in anyway I can."

She walked by me in a staggered movement as if I was an invisible ghost. Like she could'nt see me, I was just viewing her life in a dark corner. Removing the flap from the tent, we walked all the way back to triangle four, pressed on by the ominous sounds of nothingness.

"Wait here a moment," she whispered disappearing into the cloaking.

I waited outside now no longer so worried about such silence, but more concerned if I would be good enough to help these people. I mean sure I was considered to be a very capable medical assistant at the academy but what if I wasn't strong enough, was'nt capable enough?

Kyia's head poked out as a sign that it was alright for me to enter. Inside there were several metal shelves seated one next to the other, each with a motionless figure layed on top. Unlike the other tent this one was well furnished with small chairs and fur carpeting. There were blankets matted up neatly and a white cabinet that I assumed had medicines. Kyia was seated in one of the chairs next to the shelf furthest to the left.

The first figure was a young man not much older then I was, he had brown hair and blue eyes like all Mombaii did. There was one thing I noticed almost immediately about his state, even though he seemed to be very much concious he seemed immobilized. I ran the ends of my fingers down the lengh of his arms, then chest, then legs but there was nothing. I looked into his eyes to see them weary and emotionless.

A conversation from six weeks prior began to taunt me.

"Hinai said this could be a possibility," I murmured low enough so Kyia didnt hear me, whether the patient could I wasn't sure.

The next patient over this time was a women. Her symptoms were very similiar being unable to move yet still concious. No inner deformities, no poison, no spells, just a still human caskets.

"Would you be willing to let me do some tests here," I asked silently

Kyia gave me a sign as to say okay and I wasted no time going through my bag for some medical serums. I pulled out a container of Medirite, a chemical that caused brain cells to become active at a faster rate. If it was a mental illness the sudden change in the brain would cause the patient to be able to move, even for a short time. I went to the male patient first, Kyia watching me intently. I tipped a mouthful of the clear liquid into a silver spoon and waited for the man's mouth to gap. When it did I slowly poured drop by drop until it was gone, like a little bird being fed by its parents. I waited for any sign of change, even a spark in the eye, but there was nothing.

So if it wasn't a physical illness, wasn't a mental illness what else could it be a spiritual one maybe? I had a pretty good idea what was going on, but this was not the place to talk about it.

"Kia could you please come with me for a moment?"

We exited the tent, taking one last glance at the motionless bodies. I could have sworn the man cracked a smile but it was probaly just the dense light.

"What is it surely you found something," she pressed on.

"I think I might understand better what is going on."

"W-well?"

"Before Hinai-sama left he spoke to me about something quite disturbing, something that was being caused because of his brother."

Kyia stood motionless, I could tell she wanted no hesitation, just for me to spit it out immediately.

"He said that the ancient jewels that Benvolio was trying to steal were part of a sacred covenant. That removing the stones caused the world to be plagued with disaster. So it's very likely that this is one of the first calamities to take place."

"But how can that be, that one disease be targeted in the area of my people, why not in Vineria."

"Yes i've already thought of that aswell, apparently there are seven stones. One in each major country of the world you see. Amefuru land of waves, Vineria land of the wilderness, Sihaii the land of deserts, Malimao land of shadows, Baicouli the land of serene grace, Chaitoi land of flames and of course here in Mendella land of riches."

"So theres a stone still left in Mendella?"

"No thats just it that's the first stone Benvolio stole, thats why Hinai-sama and my brother left so quickly to return it before the plague."

"So your saying that the only thing that will stop the deaths of my people is to return the stone to its rightful place?"

"Pricesly."

"Then i'm in," she said her whole disposition turning to fierce confidents.

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me, im in, if the jewel needs to be returned we'll just find Hinai and Tin-Lea and take down the theif together."

"B-but."

"You know the only thing I dont get is if the jewel is so important, why wasn't it being guarded?"

"Killed, I would think, Benvolio's said to be tremendously strong, stronger then Hinai-sama. Anyone guarding the jewel was probably killed on site."

"Then we'll just have to be stronger, after all what can't a team like us accomplish?"

I could argue no more.

Continue Reading