The Underdog

Narrator: Sanyo Qualcoom

"Here it is."

 We paused at a large forest clearing about three miles from Kyia's village. There were large stone pillars stacked up sloppily towards the entrance. Thousands of trees towering over us, draping around in all different designs. It was very dark, and everything was such a struggle to see. I hated that feeling. Not being completely aware of your surroundings. Not to mention the small moths that began to jump around like broken paper planes.

"Well," Pein looked towards me for some assurance.

I closed my eyes a moment breathing in deeply, catching all the different scents wavering in the cold air. I could smell Hinai's scent somewhere. It was faint, but it was clear that he must have passed through the forest recently, which was all we needed to keep moving.

"North I would think."

"Are you sure, Pein said puzzled scribbling onto a small piece of paper.

"Yep."

"Well alright then," Kyia was impatient," we should probaly get moving."

"Right," we all agreed.

We began walking through the shrubs, pushing past their prickly thorns as they tickled the hairs on our skin. I led with the others close behind. They must have been relying on my guidance because they constantly stumbled on larger rocks underneath our feet. We passed a small brooke, and then a large stone pillar, and then many more baracades of trees. I began to feel myself getting exhausted rather quickly. Feeling the need to hunt, naturally. I could smell a group of deerling resting somewhere off in the distance. I wanted to chase them so badly. I could hear their hearts pumping, life coursing through their veins. My mouth began to water, and my throat burning, I bit my tongue and continued on until i could no longer smell the deer.

"It's too dark to continue, don't you think," I said dropping down near a fern eyeing Pein' over.

"Yeah we should get ready to set up camp for the night."

"Sounds good," Kyia sighed.

The area was beginning to seem less and less appealing by the moment. The last bits of moonlight beginning to build westward from the sky. Ominous cawing of the Mukka birds began to carry. I pulled out a box of matches I had bought from the market the previous day. Perhaps that would supply us with some form of heat and comfort. I slashed the match that just happened to pop up towards the brim of the container against a piece of tree bark. It danced dangerously on the end of it's pedastole. More cawing began to echoe.

"What's that," Kyia examined the sounds a bit stunned?

"Just some Mukka birds, is all."

"They sound like they're in pain."

"No," I chuckled with amusement," they're discussing what they should hunt for supper."