Disease & Fruits

Narrator: Pein Yagasouri 

Chapter 1: Disease & Fruits

Throughtout life there are many phases. From childhood you believe you can be just about anything; a doctor, painter, ninja, scientist, the world's greatest hero, a king even. But then you start to grow up, and you realize that you have to work hard to become anything in this world. I'm starting to grow up, it's not a pleasent experience.

It was exactly six weeks after my brother Tin-Lea and Hinai left the country in pursuit of a jewel theif. Normally any random theif would'nt cause such a stir, atleast enough to be sought after right away. But this one was different, this thief was Hinai's blood brother. Such news was circling around Mendella rather quickly, the papers head lined with bold letters reading Prince? Or Theives Accomplice, or Usaki Family Cheaters, Thieves, Liars. Hinai told us his brother's name was Benvolio and he had been banished from the country after stealing from the royal treasury. He also explained to us that this sudden outbreak of activity was to dishonor the family name before he'd become king the next summer. There was trouble I knew that much, but that was about it. After school let out everyone went their seperate ways. CaSandra went back West in hopes of finding her mother. Vance, Naoko and Charisma, off to Amerfuru to vacation. Nakia and Tiara decided to go for a week or two at the local spa in Vineria. And God only knows were Sanyo ran off to. But me I was left alone, I had no money to go off anywhere fancy. I was a bus boy, working minimum for rent money.

"What will it be today, Pein," a market clerk gestured over to me to come pick out some fruit samples.

"That's very generous of you sir, but im actually on my way across town to meet Kyia."

The storekeepers had known Kyia pretty well. Most often it was her I would mention when I stopped in that part of the village. Not because she was constantly on my mind, it was simply because it was her I was going to see when I was in the area.

"Pretty girl that one is but does she compare to the new shipment of pomegranates," my attention now directed towards his fruit trays.

He knew my weakness well, the smell and taste of fresh fruit made my mouth pool with excitement. It wasn't long before I was reaching for the ripest selection, shoving several slices in my bag.

"That will be three bronze pieces, he said with a smile.

"Thank you kindly."

This time of year the market was always buzzing with crowds of shoppers. Pockets heavy with coins just waiting to be spent on useless nick knacks. There were street performers that acted out scenes of old plays and a different circus every week, Kyia especially enjoyed these. Since Hinai and Tin-Lea left, Kyia had become restless with boredom. It wasn't unusual for her to replace me with their absence, and I really could'nt complain. I respected her, and she respected me. Unlike many her age, being three years older she treated me as a equal.

I walked throught the outskirts of the town until I came upon the edge of a small brook. I followed the water across what seemed to be a bunch of triangles that stood up perpendicular to the tree tops. Some a light blue and some a pinkish red. As I got closer these triangles transformed into large hand crafted tents held up in all different assortments. Kyia was a member of the Mombaii family. They were mostly known for their beauty and supernatural strengh. Just the use of a thumb could send a boulder shattering to pieces, the use of the fist could cause a tremor. They lived in tents to symbolize their ability to withstand trials and hardships. She lived in one of the pink ones further down the lane.

I started to count out exactly how many tents there were. Too many to number in all, so I just counted those down the line. One-two-three-Six. It wasn't until I was up to triangle sixteen that I realized something percular. On any normal day in the Mombaii's village you could see the men out hunting and tilling out farm seed while the women fished or gossiped to themselves. The play of young children hiding and laughing amongst the elder's legs. But today, there was no fresh meat nor fur no fish no whispers. Infact there was'nt a soul in sight. It gave me an ominous feeling in the deepest part of my stomach, as if something terrible had happened. Tent twenty_three, I swung open the fur lined flasp to see a disgruntled figure sitting in the corner. It was Kyia no doubt of that her, elegant brunette hair rested perfectly down on her head, her baby blue eyes gleamed brightly even with the lack of light.