MALAKAI (The 'Mala Series' bo...

By gbebia

Kai is one of the greatest sword fighters in all six kingdoms, of course the six kingdoms don't know that. He... More

ct-1 Arocelli
ct-2 Katherine
ct-3 The Other side
ct-4 The Resolve
ct-5 Into the woods
ct-6 The Castle
ct-7 Hidden in plain slight
ct-8 Kai's Day One
ct-9 The ball
ct-10 The voice
ct-11 Uncle Jerome
ct-12 Mala ball
ct-13 Feelings?
ct-15 No more fretting
ct-16 Too smooth
ct-17 The end of the beginning
ct-18 Come clean
ct-19 Malakai
ct-20 Levi
ct-21 The Attack
ct-22 Whats the plan?
ct-23 Divide and conquer
ct-24 Safe travels
ct-25 Heading for the gala
ct-26 What slides and slithers in the woods
ct-27 No semblance of normal
ct-28 prepare for battle
ct-29 WAR! pt-1
ct-30 WAR! pt-2
ct-31 WAR! pt-3
ct-32 gods and sacrifices - Final Chapter

ct-14 Staying away

31 7 8
By gbebia

A week passed and Kai had not seen Katherine. He'd gone to her house the day after seeing her secret place, but Julia told him that the princess wasn't going anywhere.

Even though she wasn't going anywhere, Kai wanted to see her and know if she was okay after all she had said to him concerning her tabooing father. But then Julia had told him she wanted to be alone.

That was all good to him. Except it had been the same excuse throughout the week.

She wants to be alone. She wasn't going anywhere today.

It was all seeming a bit strange that the princess who always wanted to walk around the gardens or go to the library or just take a stroll round the castle compounds suddenly found her house so comforting.

Maybe he really did something wrong. Perhaps putting her tears on his eyes was going overboard?

Kai sighed. He hadn't had to think much about how he had offended someone since Mara. He had often done one or two things that would make her refuse his company. Then he'd pay a child to beg her forgiveness for him.

Surely this isn't a Mara case. I mean -

Kai shut down the thoughts before they sprouted in his mind. He had tracked down Keita's place during the week. It was a comfortable and neat room in the barracks built for one. Except Kai had spotted a few lady things in a corner.

Keita had paled again at Kai's presence but Kai reassured him of his friendliness by playing cards with him. His main reason for coming was to ask Keita to help with the equipments he was with now.

Some charcoaled pencils, a paint palette, paint brush, art board and other equipments for art. It was one of his secret talents only Mara and Viktor ever knew about.

He felt free when he painted. It was as if his locked were just poured on a white surface. Mara often encouraged him to keep painting, but he hadn't really had time to focus on painting since she left.

Today he painted the princess's stunning secret place. Capturing all the phlox plants blooming, and the princess's form in the midst of it all.

Her sadness was silhouetted against the happiness and beauty of her environment. He'd thanked Keita with a small purse of coins. Keita had refused, but after Kai's persistence, he conceded.

The Queen had sent him a very very nice pay. Kai had stored some in the bank and left some with him. The Queen had also handled financing the tailor who had come and filled Kai's wardrobe with clothes his size.

Kai was still painting at night when he heard a knock. He stepped out of the room and closed the door. He wasn't sure he wanted anyone knowing he could paint.

It was Sebastian's distinguished form at the door.

"Guardian." Sebastian said, with an acknowledging nod.

I will never get used to this title, Kai thought.

"Sebastian." Kai said in greeting. "What do you need?"

"The Queen has asked me to inform members of the court that there'll be a ceremony tomorrow when she names lord Jerome her hand." Sebastian said. "She wishes you to accompany the princess and not any random guard the princess chooses."

Kai raised his brows in question.

"The Queen's words not mine." Sebastian said, then turned on his heels and left.

So the Queen knows Katherine is avoiding him, Kai thought. He'd have to find out why.

******

It was uncle Jerome's naming day. Katherine put on a free sunflower dress that rebelled against the winter. Julia had made her hair bouncy and beautiful.

Her efforts to avoid Kai had been successful but it wasn't helping. She still felt strongly towards him. It was weird admitting that to herself. She couldn't also help wondering if he felt the same way. She didn't want to find out.

She stepped out of her room so she could summon three guards and be off to the throne room where the ceremony would hold. Only to find Kai staring out her window at the courtyard.

Her stomach did a little backflip. She hadn't known how much she'd missed his company. And his intense gray eyed gaze, and the way he'd laugh to some of the ridiculous things she said and did.

He wore a white shirt tucked into black leather pants. He wore a long overcoat that reached his knees. Heros was, as usual sheathed behind him.

He was leaning against the window frame with folded arms. She noticed how his muscular frame limned out even with the clothes he wore.

"Nice to see you too Katherine." Kai said without turning from the window. How did he do that sometimes?

"Hey Kai." she said sheepishly. She thought she could have left quick enough.

He turned from the window and then looked to her.

"I haven't seen you this week. Are you alright? What's going on?" Kai asked with genuine concern in his voice.

"Oh I'm fine Kai. Don't worry." Katherine replied almost sweating under his gaze.

"Then why have you been avoiding me?" Kai asked.

"What? Why would you think that?" She asked noticing her voice was going uncomfortably higher.

Kai shifted on his feet and did not relent in his stare that was almost a glare now.

"You like going out. And you know you need me to go out. Plus you like my company because I amuse you. So why are you avoiding me?" Kai asked again.

"Kai I'm not avoiding you. I'm just...I'm...on my cycle." Katherine said, thinking fast. She immediately regretted embarrassing herself as her cheeks turned red.

"You're on your cycle? Really?" Kai asked. He clearly didn't believe her.

"Yes. Yes I am." Katherine said, lifting her chin and forcing her hands from covering her face and her feet from running away.

"For a week?" Kai asked, lifting his brows.

"What do you know about females? Anyways It's been a gruesome week for me. So I haven't been avoiding you, I just didn't want you to see me." Katherine said. It looked as though Kai was still going to press.

"Come on we're going to be late." Katherine said quickly.

They walked to the throne room in an awkward silence. The throne room was filled with members of the court. Katherine took her place beside Esther on her custom made throne on the dais. Nesta and Kai stood below.

The ceremony was quick. Jerome was named the Queens hand. Making him second in command in all the kingdom of Arocelli.

It still didn't sit right with Katherine.

She was still sitting on her throne next to her sister. Everyone was moving around. Some congratulating Jerome and others conversing. Wine was being offered by maids who moved around the room.

Kai and Nesta had started a conversation below. And Kai got stares from the lot of the ladies of the court.

"Kai seems to be attracting attention don't you think?" Esther said to Katherine.

"We're not having this conversation S." Katherine replied knowing where her sister was headed.

"You've been cooped up in your room Kat. That's not how you face feelings." Esther said

"I don't want to face them, okay?" Katherine said, getting agitated. Esther took a sip from her wine, not feeling the least bit offended.

"You're just scared, aren't you? You're scared he won't feel the same way." Esther said.

"You're not going to rattle me." Katherine said. Esther leaned back to her throne.

"Maybe I don't have to." She said.

Just then, Celeste walked up to Kai. She wore a stunning white dress and her red hair glowed bright. She and Nesta acknowledged each other with a nod. Then she began speaking to Kai who looked like he paid no heed, his arms folded.

Nesta left them and stood at the other end of the dais where she could have Esther in her view.

She couldn't hear anything from her position, but she wished she could. Celeste tried to touch Kai's sword but he stopped her hand. Katherine smiled to herself. He wouldn't let anyone in the world touch that sword on his watch.

She then said something that actually made him smile. A smile that he rarely ever let loose. The thought of grim faced Kai smiling at Celeste prickled her skin.

They were actually now conversing. Then she placed her hand on Kai's arm and giggled. Classic flirt move, Katherine thought. Then she put both hands on his shoulders, stepped closer to him and whispered something in his ear.

That did it.

Katherine got up as calmly as she could.

"Kat?" Esther called worriedly.

"I'm fine." Katherine said quickly.

She stepped down from the dais. She trudged past Celeste and Kai as calmly as she could, resisting the urge to strangle them both. She exited the throne room.

Thirty seconds after leaving the throne room, she heard firm footsteps behind her.

"Lady Princess." Kai called.

"Oh cut the bullshit." she said, still walking. He was immediately in front of her, blocking her path.

She stopped, and folded her arms, and tried as much as possible not to stare at him.

"Katherine what's going on?" Kai asked.

She felt her anger surge. Was he that stupid as to not understand what was going on?

"What's going on? What's going on?! I've been stupid that's what's going on!" Katherine said, now realizing she was shouting and was at the verge of tears.

Why did she have to feel like this? Why couldn't she just tell him? It was a stupid thing to ask, but why didn't he just know? 

"Kat -" Kai made to touch her hand.

"No Kai." She said, stepping backwards. "I just, I just want to be alone." she walked off.

Award for most dramatic woman goes to her.

                                     ******

        Kai stood where Katherine left him. What just happened? Kai asked himself.

"Girl troubles guardian?" Kai heard from behind him.

He turned to find it was the Queen, leaning against the wall behind him. She was, for the first time, alone.

"Lady Queen." Kai said "You're alone."

"I'm not alone. You're here." She replied.

"I suppose I am." Kai said.

"Do you care for my sister Kai?" The princess asked.

"Well, she's my charge lady Queen."

"Cut the crap Kai. Do you have feelings for Katherine?"

Kai almost gaped at Queen Esther. But he kept his face plain.

"Lady Queen —"

"So you don't have an urge to punch the many lords and courtiers in that room who've looked at her lustfully?" Queen Esther stood upright now.

Kai did not reply.

"So you haven't once considered if it was the job that made you comfortably take long walks with her, or if it was because you genuinely enjoyed her company?" She was walking towards him now.

Kai didn't reply.

"I know you know Kai." Queen Esther said

"What do you think I know?" Kai asked, understanding that this wasn't a conversation with the queen anymore. It was a conversation with Katherine's sister. Someone who would throw everything away for her.

"I know you know she cares for you, more than she should." The Queen said.

Kai stared at her plain faced. Actually lost for words. The Queen was now standing face to face with him.

"What I don't know is why you choose to act like you don't see it."

Kai still couldn't reply. Because the Queen was right. He knew he had feelings for the Princess. And he knew the princess had feelings for him. But all along he suppressed them like nothing was happening.

"Kai. I'm not here as the Queen." Queen Esther said. She took off her crown. "Talk to me."

"I don't want to hurt her." Kai said. And it was the truth. Because when they found out his truth, they wouldn't see him the same way. They'd most probably hate him.

Esther placed her hands on his shoulders then patted it as though she was dusting something that wasn't there.

"I think it's only fair she knows that. Because right now, you're already hurting her. She doesn't know how to handle these emotions because every other emotion had been simple for her. Talk to her Kai, and see where it leads." Esther said.

Then she put her crown on and walked back to the throne room, leaving Kai to his thoughts.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

408K 20.2K 58
Amara Milano. The powerful and lethal. Tristan Harper. The heartless and deadly. Together, the two would be a force to reckon with. Unstoppable. Unt...
469 39 14
In the Old times where battles were the greatest - in a kingdom of Ireland there lives a princess named Zoe Drageheart firstborn of Queen Alisha Drag...
193 25 16
Varathia. A place for all things mythical and magical. Where mythical creatures roam, and people have hobbies that give them magical powers called bo...
67 1 29
Book 1-A young slave girl is sold to a new master, Lord Tristan, a young, handsome man who has just come into his vast inheritance. All seems well un...