A Humbled Heart

Von nerdgatswagg

Jade was not prepared to loose her mother at an early age, she was also not prepared to live with her father... Mehr

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10

Chapter 11 (End)

24 1 1
Von nerdgatswagg

An hour later Marcus's door opened and Olivia walked in carrying a medium sized basket and a bright smile on her face. "To what do I owe this surprise Olivia", he said with a hint of a smile playing on his lips.

"I come bearing gifts", she said and placed his food in front of him. "Why have you being skipping meals, are you trying to cause damage to yourself?" Marcus snorted and dug into his food.

"These are good, who made them?" "Jade did, she is worried about you", she said and Marcus angled his face away from her shrewd eyes. "She doesn't need to be, it's not her job".

"Marcus don't be insensitive, she is looking out for you", replied Olivia but Marcus didn't reply. Knowing how hard-headed her brother could get she decided to back off. "I'm going to go now, don't do this again, and thank your stars Mom didn't find out". Marcus got to his feet and hugged his sister, "I won't".

After Olivia left Jade purposely stayed out of Marcus's office as much as she could, she knew she would eventually have to face him, why did Christopher have to be on leave today! Bracing herself she walked in.

"They are ready for you Mister Valiant", she said and was almost at the door when he called her back. "Yes?"

"I don't appreciate you going to my sister behind my back". "I really wasn't trying to create any problem".

"You going to my sister without my knowledge is crossing the line", he said as he got to his feet and grabbed his jacket. "You didn't seem fine this morning", she countered quietly, hoping he would let it go.

"That want not your call to make, my health shouldn't concern you this much, I am your boss and not your friend or your boyfriend that you should take matters into your hands". He didn't understand why he was taking his frustration out on her, but that was the truth, it frustrated him that she wouldn't allow him to show her how much he loves her.

"I am just trying to help", she whispered, "Then stop, I don't know when this meeting ends but you better not be here when I get back". She took a deep breath and willed herself not to cry; slowly she took her bag, closed-up and went to see Julie.

"Oh I know that face, what's wrong?" asked Julie but Jade shook her head and climbed in with Julie. "Do you want to rest a while?" she asked and Jade nodded before drifting off.

Marcus didn't know what to make of his father's request to see him, he couldn't think of one thing that could be the problem. His mother engulfed him in a big hug when he got in, an observer would think she hadn't seen him in months but that was the way his mother was and he loved her for it, never one to shy away from expressing emotions something he definitely didn't take after. Olivia glared at him and walked past, he chuckled knowing fully well what she was thinking.

"Where is Dad?" "In the study, he is expecting you". Marcus nodded and kissed her cheeks before heading to the study.

"Dad you wanted to see me?" asked Marcus as he entered and shut the door. "Yes, it's important", said Jacob as he took of his reading glasses. "What's wrong between you and Jade?" Marcus stared at his father with so much love; the man had a knack for knowing when to ask something.

"I don't know Dad", replied Marcus. "Olivia told me what happened", Jacob added and Marcus sighed deeply. "I didn't want Jade to worry too much".

"See that's where you are wrong", replied Jacob and Marcus looked up confused.

"Marcus, Jade has been hurt too many times by lies intended to protect or keep her from worrying. Her mother told her she was fine until her condition took her life, her father told her it was fine to stay with him when it really wasn't, Lillian I'm sure had told her she was fine until she was admitted into the hospital and Julie brushed off her concerns until she almost lost her life. You see, Jade's fear is to not know until it's too late and then she would loathe herself for not knowing sooner and doing something about it because to Jade doing something no matter how small is better than doing nothing". Marcus looked up again and this time Jacob saw understanding.

"I understand now, thank you father". "Anytime, in my opinion, you have some wooing to do because she looked so dejected when she came in today. Sleep on it and decide your course of action".

Morning came and with it the memory of Marcus's rejection, Jade sat up and looked around to see Julie awake. "You feeling better?"

"Yeah thanks for letting me stay here", replied Jade.

"Guy problems right?" asked Julie and Jade nodded in affirmation. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to".

"Marcus doesn't see me the way I see him", replied Jade and Julie looked up in surprise. All her life Jade had always solved her problems for her, it made her feel intimidated but seeing Jade this vulnerable made her realize that Jade is human at the end of the day and she needed help from time to time.

"How do you know?"

"His words say so". "What about his eyes, humans can lie but the eyes always show what's really on the inside", replied Julie, "But I can't hold his gaze because they intimidate me", said Jade quietly and Julie cracked up, clutching her tummy to reduce the pressure.

"I'm serious Julie!" exclaimed Jade so Julie took a deep breath and looked closely at Jade. "Intimidating or not keep your eyes on him and you will see that he sees you in the same way".

"I have to get a dress since it's his birthday today". "Perfect, buy a dress in his favourite colour and leave your hair down". "Okay will do, I have to rush now but I will see you on your discharge day", said Jade as she hugged Julie tightly.

"Thank Julie and I am proud of you, never forget that".

"Thanks Jade".

When she got to the house she learned that Marcus, Alexander and Jacob had gone out, and when she asked Olivia she shrugged and pointed at her Mother. Jade nodded and understood that Elena had coaxed Alexander and Jacob to take Marcus out of the house while they put the finishing touches; it was nothing short of a miracle that Marcus still hadn't caught on.

She was on edge the whole day, she hated that Marcus was being so stubborn and making it hard for her to get close to him, by evening she was pacing back and forth in her room as the guests began to arrive, shaking her head she put on her midnight blue floor length gown, the chiffon material was so light to run her hands through. The gown was backless and the front an alterneck, she brushed her hair until it shone and carefully applied the makeup like Olivia had taught her.

The room was so dark when Marcus, Alexander and Jacob entered, as soon as he hung his coat light exploded into the dark and everyone yelled, "Happy Birthday!" Marcus's expression was so comical the whole room erupted in laughter. Alexander and Jacob clumped him on the back and he turned to them, "You betrayed me", he stated, Jacob smiled and shook his head innocently, "Blame your mother, she threatened us, we didn't have a choice, besides you needed a nice birthday so enjoy". They pulled him into the living room, people came to greet him and the party took off in full swing.

Jade hung back and watched everything, smiling ever so often, she moved from the kitchen to the party to oversee the waiters and caterers. Marcus on the other hand was searching for Jade like a crazy person, "Pray tell me Marcus who are you searching for like this?" asked Margaret and Alexander piped in cheerfully, "His future".

Margaret looked lost so Alexander clarified, "Jade". Margaret finally understood and turned an outraged face to Marcus, "Do you mean to tell me th...." "Oh cut it out Margaret for once, I'll have you know that if you cause a scene here this would be the last time we ever speak
again", said Elena calmly but there was no mistaken the steel in her voice. Olivia nudged him and nodded towards the kitchen; he smiled and headed in that direction.

Jade was in the middle of getting another set of napkins when someone spoke from behind her, "Can I get a wine opener please?"

"Sure", she said and turned to come face to face with Marcus, she froze and Marcus's gaze went from the crown of her head to the sole of her feet and he knew he had never seen any woman as beautiful as Jade, he had never seen her so done up and he loved it, her hair was down the way he liked it and his hands itched to run through the mass.

Her gaze stayed on him and all she could think was if he was alright. She wanted to ask if he was alright but she didn't want to risk him getting annoyed again so she turned around and got the wine opener then walked back to him stiffly and handed it over. Marcus covered her hand over the opener and she looked up, there were questions in her eyes but she didn't voice them out which confirmed all that his father had told him, how much he had hurt her.

"Jade is there something you want to ask me?" he asked and Jade's immediately took an eager step forward but stopped. "It's nothing never mind, happy birthday", she said and touched his arm briefly before turning round but Marcus wasn't done yet because he stepped forward and hugged her from behind, Jade gasped but didn't move, he took the trembling he felt in her as a good sign so he lowered his arms to her waist and held her closer.

"I'm fine Jade", he breathed and rested his head on the hollow between her neck and shoulder.

"Are you really?" she asked in a whisper, his grip on her tightened and he nodded against her skin. "I am Jade, I feel better", he answered and Jade's head hung forward in relief, when he felt wetness on his arm he turned her around but she refused to meet his eyes.

"Jade I'm sorry", he said but she shook her head and stepped back from him. "You can't do that again, please, don't let me worry in the dark", she said desperately, Marcus didn't respond but she saw the hidden question in his eyes and decided to take a leap.

"It's because I love you, you can't push me away like that until it's too late", she said in one breath and looked up to see his expression, nothing showed so she took a step back. "I'm going to go", she said and turned around quickly but Marcus was quicker, he stepped forward and wrapped one arm around her waist again and the other hand cupped her right temple making her look at him with tears in them. He stared deep into her eyes and wouldn't let her go, Jade's eyes overflowed and Marcus's grip on her tightened.

"You should go", she said and he smiled that smile she had come to love, "Trying to get rid of me?" he answered with a slight frown. "No.. No I only meant you should go back".

"You really are trying to get rid of me", he said.

"I meant it's your party Mr Valiant", she replied and for some reason his smile widened and Jade frowned. "Mr Valiant?" he asked and before Jade could react he lowered his head and kissed her, lifting his head he kept his forehead to hers, Jade's hands came up and rested on his chest as he pulled her impossibly close, lowered his head and kissed her until she was weak in the knees then he lifted his head and stared at her closed ones. When she opened them she saw everything she wanted to see in his eyes.

"Jade I have loved you for so long, the fact that I couldn't express it was so frustrating but now my darling you are in for it. Bes..." he was caught off when she reached up and kissed his right and left temple then pecked his lips again.

"You are really asking me to stay aren't you?" he asked teasingly and Jade smiled sheepishly.

"Yes Mr Valiant", she replied and Marcus's eyes widened before he laughed and stroked her hair. "Beautiful, absolutely beautiful and you can call me Mr Valiant anytime as long as you know what comes after that", he said and wiggled his brows, she blushed red and hit his shoulders.

"This isn't funny Marcus, I'm all red now", she said and he hugged her .

 "As long as it's my fault, I like it", he said, she shook her head and muttered, "Show-off".

"I am so fortunate to have met someone like you", he said with such love she was humbled by it. Reaching up she drew his head down and placed a kiss on his forehead, he buried his head on her shoulder and breathed in and out while she rubbed his back. "Thank you Jade", he said and it brought tears to her eyes, how someone like him could be so humble and grateful was amazing.

"Thank you Marcus, and thank God because he brought you to me".

"Will you do me the honour of being my wife?" he asked and Jade laughed gleefully, "Oh yes! I will". He hugged her and they swayed from side to side for a while, totally unaware that they were being watched the whole time by everyone. Elena, Jacob, Alexander and Olivia high-fived each other and quickly acted like nothing was going on when Margaret looked over. She stormed out with her daughters and as usual Daniel dragged his feet and followed them out, when will it change?

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

Insatiable Karma Von Elle Dee

Aktuelle Literatur

101 18 13
To trust. To believe. To revenge. Three things people want to do, want to feel, but there's always a downside that makes them regret doing so. Bet...
1.3K 293 20
The worst thing about betrayal, is it doesn't come from strangers. ****** Gracie used to be confident and outgoing, that is until things are said and...
43.5K 1.5K 52
It was only her comments that made her feel worthless. Only one bully. Only her betrayal made him give up on love, making him ruthless. Only one woma...
58K 2.1K 53
Jade has led a sheltered life, never having had a boyfriend or engaged in romantic or physical relationships. While her lack of experience leaves her...