Heir to the Empire

By RobClark5

Frustrated by simple village life, Huntress Loldirr longs for something more. Her desire to leave her home to... More

Introduction
Prologue
1. Greenhaven
2. Small Regrets
3. Darkness Falls
4. Grave Lineage
5. Escape the Shadow
6. The Rose of White Road
7. The Shadow
8. White Harbour
9. The Sea Horse
10. Judge, Jury, Executioner
11. Gryffinfall
12. The Tower of Mages
13. The Trial of the Sphere
14. The Elemental Sorceress
15. Ravenscourt
16. Darke Reunion
17. Conscience - Loldirr
18. Old Acquaintances - Ethelston
19. Fire & Ice - Erdudvyl
20. Apricot & Honey - Ethelston
21. Lionmane - Erdudvyl
22. The Black Knife Syndicate - Ethelston
23. To Eat With A Lion - Loldirr
24. The Pommel, Quillion & Blade - Ethelston
26. A Privilege to Serve - Loldirr
27. The Lion Roars - Erdudvyl
28. Captivity - Loldirr
29. Light the Pyre - Erdudvyl
30. Embrace Death - Loldirr
31. Assassin - Ethelston
32. Pigeon - Erdudvyl
33. The Act of Betrayal - Ethelston
34. The Fool - Loldirr
35. Hagrefjord - Ethelston
36. The Great Escape - Erdudvyl
37. The Saviour - Loldirr
38. Civil Unrest - Ethelston
39. The Blade - Ethelston
40. Know your enemy - Loldirr
41. The Widow Maker - Erdudvyl
42. A brush with death - Loldirr
43. Knight Inquisitor - Ethelston
44. The Fæordic - Loldirr
45. The Elf and the Hunter
46. Wraithslayer - Loldirr
47. For the Realm - Ethelston
48. Jorguldheim - Loldirr
49. Siege Preparations - Erdudvyl
50. The Winter Witch - Loldirr
51. Parlay - Ethelston
52. The Secret Passage - Erdudvyl
53. Besieged - Ethelston
54. The Battle of Ravenscourt - Ethelston
55. Rising Phoenix - Loldirr
56. Death's Bain
57. The Sixth Sphere
58. First Knight Inquisitor
59. The beginning of the end
** What to read next **

25. The Lions Den - Erdudvyl

73 15 3
By RobClark5

There was a thump followed by an echo of unenthusiastic clapping around the courtyard as the Emperor lowered his bow to examine his latest shot into the straw target approximately a hundred yards away.

"It looks like you hit him in the knee, Your Majesty" one of the Emperor's valet's commented as unenthusiastically as the clapping that continued to echo in the courtyard.

The Emperor grumbled under his breath recalling the foolish wager he had posed towards Loldirr when she mentioned she had done a bit of archery. One gold lion to the person who fails to miss the target, a twenty-yard increase on every three shots.

Loldirr took her position, placed and arrow carefully on top of her left hand. She lifted the bow and drew back on the string.

She could have quite easily had released the arrow straight away, but for appearances, she paused to give the impression she was finding her range.

Placing the feathers against her cheek, taking a deep breath, she released the arrow. A small smile appeared as she listened to the swoosh and twang of the arrow and bowstring performing their tasks. With all the stress that had gone on, she had forgotten how much she missed those sounds.

It didn't take long for the arrow to make a thump, deep in the supposed heart of the straw figure.

There was a more enthusiastic clap this time, which seemed to irritate the Emperor even more.

"Lucky shot," he mumbled, his face red in frustration.

Loldirr knew it was a risk to keep playing like this, but she was competitive by nature, refusing to hand this man any sort of victory. With each shot she made that took her one step closer to a gold lion, it was one more victory over the usurper who sat on her throne. She smiled once more as her next shot hit just to the left of her previous one.

"You could at least look like your struggling," Erdudvyl commented quietly towards Loldirr.

"Yes, I could," Loldirr responded before releasing another arrow.

Thump! This one hit just below her previous two.

"You are playing a very dangerous game, Loldirr," Erdudvyl commented as Loldirr smiled towards her.

As Loldirr was begrudgingly congratulated by the Emperor, Erdudvyl took a quick scan of the other patrons within the courtyard. Most of them were reluctant nobles who were there simply to make an appearance and gain favour with the Emperor, one or two of them were political refugees from the Isovine and Ruvia war.

Then there was Nimue.

Taking shelter from the blistering heat, she had positioned herself, with a large retinue of serving girls, within an archway of the castle. It was obvious she had no interest in the archery but had a vested interest in the Emperor's affection towards his archery opponent.

Erdudvyl watched as Nimue's mouth moved as if she was speaking, but considering none of her serving girls was responding, she had obviously caught someone else's attention.

Elven courts were much different from the intricacies of human courts. In an Elven court, everyone had a clear role to play and attempting to change that role would be considered extremely disrespectful. Within the few times, Erdudvyl had been present in a human court, she had observed and was disheartened by how every single person would be attempting to further themselves, either by painting themselves in a good light or painting others in a dark one.

This often left her feeling constricted and breathless within the setting, knowing that every word and action was being heavily scrutinised.

Nimue appeared to be a master of the human court and Erdudvyl couldn't help but admit she was slightly intimidated by her.

As Loldirr was preparing her next round of shots, Erdudvyl excused herself and started to head to the blue-haired woman. As she noticed Erdudvyl approaching, Nimue waved her hand prompting a figure to turn and walk away.

Spotting the man slinking away she watched his posture, his shortened steps and stringy long hair. She would recognise those weaselly features anywhere, but why would Kirken be interested in discussions with Nimue without Erdudvyl's knowing? After all, they were on a diplomatic mission together.

With each passing day, his erratic behaviour had become a concern. He was rarely seen with the Ravenscourt retinue since his arrival in Lionmane and nothing suggested that he earned the trust that Ethelston had bestowed on him.

Erdudvyl knew she would need to do the one thing that she despised doing, entering the world of intrigue. Finding out what this man was up to was imperative.

As she approached the blue-haired Nimue, her initial instinct was to curtsey. Stopping herself she realised that she didn't want Nimue to receive any sign of respect or inferiority from her.

"Lady Harpyshore, " Erdudvyl greeted begrudgingly "at least I believe you are still Lady Harpyshore are you not?"

Nimue seemed to spasm slightly at the comment, before rubbing her cheek where a small blemish ruined her perfect features, a poorly healed cut from a previous encounter?. "A name I have not heard in many winters, but I am still Lady Harpyshore." she acknowledged.

"And Sir Harpyshore?" Erdudvyl asked.

"Executed for treason, devil worship and some other things I care not to remember," Nimue replied bluntly. "Tell me young elf, what is your true purpose here in Lionmane?"

Erdudvyl felt compelled to react out of turn by the obvious insult "My name is Erdudvyl Ar Moal, daughter of Vaalyun Ar Moal. I may not be a member of the human court, however, I still deserve the respect that comes with the Ar Moal name."

Nimue smiled before taking a grape from one of her serving girls. As she took a careful bite into it, deliberately not eating the grape whole, she ensured none of the juices trickled from her mouth, her eyes focused on Erdudvyl at all times. "It seems I have offended you so? I apologise."

Before Erdudvyl could accept the apology, Nimue continued, "However, respect is earned, it is not given from a title. The Harpyshore name was nothing when I obtained it, my husband did what he could to taint it further. Despite this, I have the power and respect that no other woman in this land holds. Does your name hold the same weight in your little elven lands?"

Erdudvyl knew she shouldn't rise to the bait, but felt helpless as emotion took over, "So in the lands of the humans, sleeping with the Emperor gives you power and respect? In the land of the elves, it gives you nothing but shame and despair."

Nimue swallowed her grape with less grace as her cheeks flushed red. At first, she remained silent, but just as Erdudvyl felt the conversation had come to an end, Nimue turned to a guard who seemed to blend into the archway. "You, guard, come here."

Immediately the guard stood by Nimue's side.

Just as Erdudvyl was preparing to be escorted away from Nimue's presence, Nimue turned to one of her serving girls. "Girl, take this guards knife."

Instantly the guard unsheathed his knife and held up the handle towards the confused young woman.

Erdudvyl was perplexed as the serving girl gingerly took the knife.

Waving the guard away, Nimue looked directly at the woman "Now, slit your wrist, and make the cut deep." she ordered callously.

The young woman turned white with fear and seemed to look around the other serving girls for support. No support came. "My lady, but..."

"You do as I command, or remember what happened to the last girl who disobeyed my instructions," Nimue responded angrily.

"I don't think this demonstration is necessary, " Erdudvyl tried to intervene.

Nimue raised her hand and stared at Erdudvyl with fury, "You will get your demonstration, " she turned back towards the young petrified woman "Now!" she urged.

The young woman raised her arm and placed the knife-edge on her wrist. Her hand shook ferociously, tears were streaming down her cheeks, her sobs were the only sound that could be heard in the archway.

She looked up to Nimue, hoping to get a reprieve, instead, Nimue just raised her arms to encourage her to do the deed.

The young girl whimpered as she made the incision. The clean-cut initially left a thin red mark, but it wasn't long before it trickled and poured like a red fountain leaving her hand red. As she dropped the knife in shock, she watched as the drips of blood starting pooling on the floor.

"No one helps her," Nimue responded towards the other serving girls as they stared helplessly at the poor woman whose balance and consciousness was starting to waver.

Nimue turned towards the bewildered Erdudvyl and smiled, "This is power and respect, something I have spent my life achieving and I have needed to overcome people far more influential than you. Perhaps you should return with your red-haired friend from wherever it is she came from instead of trying to make waves in Lionmane."

As the young girl collapsed to the floor in a pool of her own blood, Erdudvyl rushed to her side, ensuring that she still had consciousness. Looking up towards Nimue she replied "You have power, but you do not have respect. You have fear." Placing her hand on the young girl's arm, Erdudvyl focused on the river of blood and watched as the cut started to instantly heal. As the incision started to heal over, the young girl smiled with the little energy she had remaining.

Standing to her feet, Nimue sighed exasperated, "It appears the little elf has some gifts of her own. It still doesn't make you much of a woman to be able to heal people like that. Beware, little elf, I know you and your companion hold secrets and I plan to find out what those secrets are and use them to destroy both of you. I know she is not who you say she is, and it will only be a matter of time before I can prove it. Mark my words, your time in Lionmane will end with suffering."

Looking towards the young woman, who was still struggling to remain conscious Nimue commented, "And you, clean up your mess." Instantly, Nimue spun around and walked towards the castle with her retinue of serving girls closely in tow.

With only the sobs of the young woman beside her, Erdudvyl was left contemplating the severity of the threat aimed towards her and Loldirr. As she looked around in the hope she would find some help, she spotted the weaselly Kirken skulking in the corner, watching as events unfolded.

"Don't just stand there, get some help." she hissed towards him.

Watching Kirken walk away to find help, she held the young woman close to her bosom and embraced her tight, looking down she felt a tinge of regret as her violet and gold dress that she was wearing had turned a horrible shade of grey and black as the blood started soaking into it.

With Nimue questioning Loldirr's identity, it had become apparent that Kirken's loyalty was in question and he had planted a seed of doubt squarely in the blue-haired seductress's mind.

As the sound of a thump from an arrow and a cheer from the courtyard could be heard, Erdudvyl was left with one very painful thought.

Would this be the last time she would be kneeling in a pool of someone's blood?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.6K 444 17
Sabine has spent the past decade hiding from the Wild Hunt. But when a charismatic stranger recruits her to retrieve an invaluable artifact, she'll h...
104 9 4
Mercenary, traveller, adventurer, lover. For many moons, Ethelston travelled east to gain renown and favour amongst his peers and those who considere...
2.2K 70 8
4 courts. 3 secrets. 2 sides. 1 war. - Leila Bhat-Bayza, The Liar. She will do anything to keep the life she left behind in the First City secret. ...