Just A Shadow (RWBY male read...

MichaelStotts2

well fuck here we are, first attempt at writing in fuck knows how long. ehm this story is gonna be a bit...di... Еще

Chapter 1: The Dark
Chapter 2: Unexpected
Chapter 3: Here to Stay
Chapter 4: A Dance in the Dustshop
Chapter 5: The Wizard of Oz
Chapter 6: Meeting The Family
Chapter 7: Beacon Academy
Chapter 8: Beacon Academy pt 2
chapter 9: Initiation
Chapter 10: The Emerald Forest
Chapter 11: A Challenger Approaches
Chapter 12: Ugly Scars
Chapter 13: Can Still Heal
Chapter 14: Musical Morning
wtf?
Chapter 15: We Are Atlas Now
News on Chapter 16
Halftime
Chapter 16: Get Up
sorry
Chapter 17: Grace in the Grey
Chapter 18: Its Okay to be Afraid
hello again!
The Break: Goodbye, To A World
V2 Ch1: Round Two
V2 Ch2: Introductions
back on track!
V2: Ch3: In The Rear With The Gear
Important! Please vote!
V2 Ch4: Talk the Talk, Walk the Walk
Y/n's shadows/Umbrakinesis
teeny tiny vote
little piece o news
V2 Ch6: Burden of the Blade
(small) V2 Ch7: Pre-Party
(small) V2 Ch8: Tapping the Brakes
V2 Ch8: "Dance Dance...Somethin"
V2 Ch9: Mission Morning
very important schedule update.
V2 Ch10: "Reconnaissance"
V2 Finale: "Enemy At The Gates"
The Interim
quick question!
V3 Ch1: Fever Dream
V3 Ch2: Ashes and Blood
Lets Do This
V3 Ch3: Omens
V3 Finale: Vanished
heheh
Guess whos fucking back
is anyone still there..?
VOLUME 4 CH 1: Deathless
V4 Ch2: A Colder Place
V4 Ch3: Buried In The Ashes

V2 Ch5: The Rain

2.6K 50 137
MichaelStotts2

(Bet there was some of yall that forgot Neo fucking kills people. Imagine if she had a real weapon. Scary shit. Nonetheless, let's continue.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

3rd Person Pov

Team RWBY Dorm

Y/n was forced to admit, he was not in a great mood at the moment. In the last 24 hours, not only had he not been able to sleep whatsoever, he also had a blade easily the length of his arm ran through his gut. He found that seeing his own blood now made him...nervous. Or in a layman's terms it freaked him out. Not so much that he couldnt function, it was just weird after so long.

Currently, he was resting on Ruby's bed in the dorm room in sweatpants and shirtless, with a bandage wrapped around his abdomen. Ruby herself was sitting cross-legged beside him, practicing to the best of her ability to master his bullet trick. Considering she wasnt expecting to go anywhere, she was dressed in casual clothes, mainly consisting of red baggy shorts, and a black ling sleeved shirt, with red stripes on the sleeves.The rest of the team was getting lunch with team JNPR, considering it was a saturday and there were no classes.

After his incredibly painful meeting with Roman Torchwicks partner in crime last night, Blake had taken most of the initiative in applying some emergency first aid to Y/n, via a blunt metal rod, and a very painful use of fire dust. She was forced to admit that if her time in the White Fang was good for anything, it was that she learned how to plug a leak, and sure it wasn't pretty, but it sure as hell worked.

Considering Y/n had not currently died of internal bleeding, or septic poisoning, it was very safe to say that his wound was in fact superficial, and nothing important was destroyed. With a few days rest, a frequent change in bandaging, and some protein, he would heal up just fine. Ah yes, that was new as well now. Previously, he had found that he was incapable of hunger or thirst at the time, but due to his new, more physical reality he once again actually needed food and water to survive, like any other human being.

Of course his recent changes had a lot to do with the situation he was in right now. When Neo had first moved to plant that blade in his abdomen, Y/n had tried to shift into his familiar intangibility in order to avoid the strike. He found himself unable to, and as a result got his ass kicked. Since returning to Beacon, he has tried relentlessly to tap into his 'Ghost mode'as he sometimes called it, but only succeeded in giving himself a headache.

Of course, Lamb had warned him that change was coming, but her timing couldnt have been any worse. He shifted uncomfortably in his position on the bed, the contrast in texture of the large bandage around his gut, and the silk smoothness of the bed beneath his bare back, annoyed him insanely. So much so, that he couldnt bare to lay down, and so instead propped himself up, and leaned against the headboard of the bed, the suspended resting place swaying slightly from his weight.

That was new as well. Before, his weight hardly seemed to affect anything, but now it did. He could no longer soundlessly stride across the dorm floor. He overall was happy about the changes, he was happy to be more...well...human, again. But the sourness of their timing left him in an understandably bitter mood, and his headache worsened by the minute.

He shut his eyes tight, attempting to will the silence away from the room. And it seemed like he succeeded, as he both felt and heard his stomach grumble and turn loudly in hunger. Now that he thought of it, he was thirsty as hell too. His sudden racket easily grabbed the attention of Ruby, who ceased her fingers practice and turned to him. She couldnt really help but smile.

Ruby: "You too?"

Y/n: "Yeah. Its gonna take some getting used too. Y,know...actually needing to eat again."

He took a wayward glance out the window, noticing the overcast sky. Grey clouds hanging above the land like a soft, fluffy blanket in the sky. Suddenly feeling the irresistible need to stretch his legs, he put forth an idea.

"Why dont we head into town? Get some food."

He sat up completely, and moved to hang his legs off the edge of the bed. From behing him, Ruby took a worried glance at the bandages wrapping the gut of his otherwise bare torso. She took hold of his shoulders from behind and gently restrained him from hopping off the bed.

Ruby: "Are you sure? I can just ask Yang or one of the others to bring us something from the cafeteria. Or we could go there."

Y/n sighed as he thought. On one hand, seeing team JNPR and the others would be nice, but he didnt want to be a stick in the mud.

Y/n: "I dont wanna worry them. Besides, I'm dying for a hot chocolate right now. And it's nice outside."

She smiled gently at his, to some, strange preference in weather. As well as his sudden craving for anything chocolatey.

Ruby: "I know, but you need to get some energy in you before we head to town or anything. The cafeteria is closer, and itll worry the others less if they know you're okay. Besides, we have stuff to make hot chocolate here in the dorm too."

Y/n grumbled like an oversized child, his obvious empty tank messing with his mind and mood. Deep down he knew she was right though. He wasnt agreeing without one condition however.

Y/n: "Fine. But only if we can head out for a bit later."

His pouty mood made her chuckle slightly as she hopped off the bed to get ready. She moved over in front of him to help him down. His clouded mind protested unconsciously.

"I can make it down myself..."

He attempted to ease himself forward and off the bed, only to immediately be met with a sharp pain from his wound, forcing him to stop and take a sharp gasp for air. He grumbled slightly at how his body embarrassed him in front of Ruby, fluttering slightly.

"On s-second thought...some help would be nice."

She couldnt help but giggle again as she helped balance his weight coming down from the bed, allowing him to plant his feet on the floor before she went to fetch a casual red hoodie, and quickly slip into her normal boots. He carefully stretched his back, earning a few satisfying pops in response, before relaxing himself and moving over to the recently added coat rack on the door.

He grabbed his trenchcoat, and was about to slip it on without bothering with a shirt, before Ruby stopped him, gently taking the coat away from him and placing it back on the rack. She forced him to sit down in the chair of one of the several desks in the dorm, and helped him get a black-longsleeved shirt on. Pulling it over him so he could wiggle his arms into the sleeves. She could tell the lack of food and energy was getting to him, seeing as he didnt even protest.

Having wrangled him into his shirt, she helped him get his boots on too. The level of embarrassment Y/n was in right now was ridiculous to the young boy. The worst part about a gut wound is it inhibits you from bending in many, many ways. Strongly hampering his ability to do normal things. He couldn't really be mad though, Ruby was doing so much to help him, and he couldnt help but ask.

Y/n: "How did I get so lucky?"

She looked up at him just as she finished tying the lace on his last piece of footwear, and just smiled gently as she stood up and helped him back to his feet. She grabbed his coat off the rack and handed it to him again, planting a short kiss on his lips as he took it.

Ruby: "That's the thing about luck, Umbra. It just happens."

He put his coat, letting it hang on his shoulders instead of working his arms through the sleeves, and smiled upon hearing his new nickname. She had done some brainstorming after deciding she would find something to call him just like he calls her Rosebud or Rubes. She stumbled across Umbra, and thought it stuck nice. It meant shadow, or darkness.

Y/n: "Thats a good one, nice thinkin Rosebud."

On that last note, they began their journey through Beacons long hallways. The school grounds were mostly empty at the moment. Most students were either relaxing in their dorms, at the cafeteria, or in town with their teams. And this their walk was a silent one, Y/n relishing in the opportunity to move his legs.

Small talk wasnt much of a concern at the moment, both teenagers jumping at the idea of getting some food, and so the trek leaps right by as they approached the large doors of beacons cafeteria.

Their entrance to the cafeteria went unnoticed by almost everyone inside the large dining hall, especially since it was mostly empty to begin with, save for a few miscellaneous teams strewn about, including the three other members of team RWBY and all of team JNPR.

Blake was in fact the only person in the cafeteria to notice their arrival, peering up from her notebook with a disappointed expression as the conversation at the table continued.

Jaune: "Say, where are Y/n and Ruby? We havent seen em at all today. Everything okay?"

Jaunes tone was genuine and concerned, worried that Y/n might be having an 'off-day' so to speak. Which wasnt entirely inaccurate to be fair. Yang moved to explain the absence of the duo.

Yang: "Rubes, and by extension Y/n, are just a little under the weather. They're resting up at the dorm. Nothin to worry about."

To be fair, this also wasnt entirely wrong, but Blake watched from over the top of her book as Y/n and Ruby walked to grab their trays of food, Blake nudged Weiss beside her with her elbow to grab her attention, and direct it towards the two, the heiress soon gaining a similar disappointed look. But seeing as nobody else had noticed them yet, the conversation continued.

Pyrrha: "That's unfortunate. Is there anything we can do?"

Pyrrha, the ever vigilant friend that she is, was hoping to find some way they could aid in her friends apparent sickness, however, Yang didnt get a chance to decline the offer as the duo themselves walked up to the table and set their food down, stealing everybody's attention.

Y/n: "Its appreciated Pyrrha, but I'm just gonna have to wait this one out. Rosebud here is just fine though."

He grimaced slightly as he slowly sat himself down at the table between Ruby and Yang. Ren, surprisingly spoke up, Nora pitching in to back him up as always.

Ren: "Are you sure you should be up and about? You dont seem well, and if you really are sick, you need your rest."

Nora: "Yeah! You need to get all better so you can keep kicking butt on the field!"

Y/n chuckled a bit at Nora's take on his current health as he ate, but had to admit Ren had a point. His hair was much messier than normal, which is to say it was thrown all over the place, and it had definitely grown a bit, almost coming down to his shoulders. It wouldn't be too long before he had bangs hanging over his eyes.

Speaking of eyes, there were alao noticeable bags under his, driving home just how little he had managed to sleep last night, that is to say not at all. And the rate at which he was scarfing down the food in front of him was slightly alarming to say the least.

Y/n suddenly realized how much of a slob he was being, and stopped himself. Some of the fog that had descended over his mind was beginning to clear now, and he was determined to at least not look and act like a goblin in front of his only friends. He sat himself as straight as he could without hurting himself, and fixed his hair, at least within margins of it's normal messiness, and fixed the sleeves of his coat.

He took a deep breath, and a drink of water as the rest of the fog left his head, allowing him to think and see straight. He met the worried glances of his both friends and teammates, and sighed in embarrassment.

Y/n: "Sorry, I wasn't all there at the moment. I'm not sick, just recovering. A lot happened in the last 24 hours, and I had a little accident, as well as some recent developments."

He took a glance at the rest of the mostly vacant dining hall, and after being assured no one would see, he parted his coat and lifted his shirt enough so that team JNPR could see the large white mess of gauze running across his shadowy form. He put his shirt back down as team JNPR gained a unanimous and understandable look of concern.

Jaune: "Oum, Y/n! What the heck happened?!"

Pyrrha: "Why are you not in bed?! Or better yet in the infirmary!"

Ren: "That isnt something to shrug off  Y/n, you should have it looked at."

Nora was the last to comment, and did so rather eccentrically, slamming her fists onto the table.

Nora: "Whose legs do I need to break?!"

Y/n had to admit. It warmed his heart seeing the level of concern and care team JNPR showed. Over the course of his time at Beacon, his relationship with the team had steadily developed into an extended family of sorts. At one point, when he was having an off day of his, he even told them his story. The whole story.

Jaune had easily become like a little brother to him. He was clumsy, nervous, and maybe not the brightest. But his heart was in the right place, and when   Y/n needed it, he could always count on Jaune.

Pyrrha was without a doubt an older sister figure to him. She was mature, kind, gentle and admittedly a little overprotective. But she was strong. Both in marital prowess, and in heart.

Ren was like a quiet cousin. He didnt always make his presence known, and aasnt likely to involve himself in most of the family madness, but he was family nonetheless. And would be there when it counted.

Nora, as weird as it sounds, was more of an older step sister figure. She was fiery, passionate and confident. She knew what she wanted, and did what she needed to make it happen, but at the end of the day it was family first. And god help anyone who wages war on her family.

He couldnt help but laugh a little at how much they all cared, only confusing them in the process. His fit of laughter was halted by the hole in his gut spasming in just the wrong way, but he quickly recovered himself and smiled warmly at his friends/family.

Y/n: "I'm fine guys, really. I've been in worse pain than this, and I'll be good as new in a couple days. I just needed to get out of the dorm for a bit. Besides, it's nice out, and I was starving."

Yang took a glance out the large windows of the dining hall.

Yang: "Actually, it looks like it might rain."

Y/n let out a content and genuinely happy sigh.

Y/n: "Awesome."

Ren and Nora simply decided that arguing would go nowhere, and took his word for it. Jaune and Pyrrha wanted to protest, but had come to learn that when it comes down to it, Y/n has a pretty good understanding of his limits, and so simply put their faith in him. He was a pretty tough character after all. A gut wound wasnt going to slow him down for too long.

And so for the moment, casual banter and talk to be found among friends was shared across the table once more. Just how hungry Y/n was did not go unnoticed by the group, as he went around for a total of 4 helpings of food. However, much of his energy had returned to him by now.

Much to Y/n's delight, the sky outside only continued to fill with puffy grey clouds, an omen of the rain to come soon. Everybody was done eating, and he was about to see if Ruby was ready to go on that walk he mentioned, but he was interrupted by someone aggressively tapping on his shoulder.

With a raised eyebrow, Y/n slowly turned in his seat to face none other than Cardin Winchester, along with the rest of his less-than-reputable teammates, Russel Thrush, Dove Bronzewing, and Sky Lark.

(Only now realized I never gave a visual reference for them. Most readers know it, but just for those who dont here it is.)

Remembering the last time he had a 'chat' with Cardin, Y/n lounged confidently against the table, a smug grin on his face, much to Cardins annoyance.

Y/n: "Hey there Cardin. How's your leg?"

Cardin noticeably twitched in rage at the mention of his leg, and the rest of the table was alerted to the presence of team CRDL. Cardin however, composed himself as he spoke.

Cardin: "I'm not gonna beat around the bush here, freak. I want a rematch. A real fight. None of your crazy gunpowder shit."

Y/n rolled his eyes in legitimate boredom at the thought, standing up from his table and grabbing his tray. He began to walk to drop off his tray as he responded.

Y/n: "As much as I admire your tenacity Cardin, I can think of literally twelve better things to do with my time."

He dumped his trash and deposited his tray, beginning to turn around.

"Tell ya what, ask me again in a few days, and may-"

He didnt get to finish his statement however, as the moment he turned around, he was met with a heavy handed blow from Cardin himself, knocking him in the jaw and snapping his head back. Before he even had time to recover, Russel and Dove grabbed his arms to try and hold him in place, while Sky grabbed him from behind. They had the attention of the entire cafeteria now.

Cardin smiled maliciously as he approached Y/n, who had already recovered, and was watching Cardin approach unamused. Cardin had failed to notice how teams RWBY and JNPR hadn't even moved from their table, watching the scene with mostly unamused expressions.

Cardin: "You made me look like a fucking idiot that day, and now your gonna get what's coming to ya, whether you like it or not!"

Y/n prepared himself for another hit to the face, but was unfortunately wrong in his prediction, as Cardin proceeded to plant his fist directly in Y/n's gut. The boy nearly doubled over from the rush of sharp needle like pain screaming throughout his nerves, Ruby recoiling in similar discomfort from her seat at the table, almost losing her breath.

Cardin pulled back and stared at the hunched over Y/n in front of him with a wicked grin. He truly believed he had won. He didnt. Notice as Ruby stopped JNPR from getting up from the table, having one simple thing to say.

Ruby: "Don't bother...he pretty much just signed his own death warrant."

Cardin, having decided this was an easy beatdown, went for another strike on    Y/n.

He couldnt have been more wrong.

Just before Cardin made contact, Y/n dispersed into a cloud of shadow, causing the his other teammates to lose their grip on the boy. Y/n reappeared behind Sky, and proceeded to seize the boy by the neck, nearly choking him with the firmness of his grip. With a heave, Sky was thrown directly into Dove, and the two proceeded to nearly fly across the cafeteria floor from the sheer force of the throw.

Russel attempted to hook Y/n in the face directly, but was efficiently stopped when the boy caught his fist, and not wasting any time, delivered a devastating blow to Russels face. Knocking him not only to the floor, but unconcious at the same time. Y/n turned to look directly at Cardin, who shook from the look Y/n gave him.

He was completely unamused. Simply annoyed.

Cardin attempted to put aside his fear, as he, like his foolish teammate, went for a strike at Y/n. In a lightning fast movement, Y/n was behind Cardin with a firm hold of his arm, twisting it behind his back. As Y/n had Cardin pinned, with only a single arm, he spoke.

Y/n: "Hey, Cardin."

Y/n's tone was icy, and held absolutely no sense of mercy. The mere pressure of his grip threatened to snap Cardins arm, but he responded nonetheless.

Cardin: "Y-yeah?"

Y/n: "You've been...disarmed."

Before the chestnut haired boy had a chance to process that statement, Y/n lifted Cardins arm straight up, and his ears were met with a loud pop as Cardins arm was removed from its socket, dislocating the appendage. Y/n let go and allowed Cardon to fall to the floor holding his now useless arm in utter agony. Y/n simply began to walk away, back towards his group.

Y/n: "Let's not do this again. It wasnt fun for either of us."

As Y/n approached the table Ruby noticed that one of his hands was firmly gripping his wound. Adrenaline was dying, and the pain was coming back to him. He stopped in front of his table, and spoke to Ruby.

"Can we head back to the dorm for a minute? I need to change my bandages..."

To display his point, he temporarily showed the palm of his hand to show that his hand was shining slightly with blood, almost invisible on his shady skin. She nodded in confirmation, and stood up.

Ruby: "Sorry about that. We'll catch up with you guys later."

Jaune: "No worries."

Pyrrha: "Be careful."

Ren: "In all seriousness, be safe."

Nora: "Oh relax, he'll be fine."

Blake: "I left the first aid kit in the bathroom. Theres still some stitches left."

With a thankful nod, Ruby turned and followed Y/n out of the cafeteria, supporting his now noticeable limp along the way.

Back at the dorm

Ruby Pov

I opened the dorm door for Y/n as he dragged himself inside, and supported him over to the bathroom where I sat him down on the edge of the bath. I was digging around through the cupboards for the first aid kit while Y/n removed his bandages.

Honestly, what the hell possessed Cardin and his team to walk up to Y/n and pull something like that? If Y/n was any less merciful than to toss them around, they would probably be dead right now. And worst part is now we have to close up his wound again.

I pulled the first aid kit out from under the sink, and made it back to Y/n. Opening it up I grabbed a fresh roll of gauze, some stitches, and a bottle of hydro-whatzit. Whatever Y/n called it. It's meant to keep the wound clean so it doesnt get infected.

I handed him the bottle as he managed to pry his now blood-soaked shirt off, and he simply held it for a second taking some deep breaths.

Y/n: "Ok, ready, on go...1-GO!!!"

The moment he said go he splashed his wound with the chemical, and was in the process of trying not to scream, muffling his howls by forcing his mouth shut. Once he had finally settled down, he put the bottle away.

Ruby: "Is it really that bad?"

He gave me a look that could tell me he didnt even want to describe it.

Y/n: "Trust me rosebud...dont get stabbed...its not fun."

Ruby: "I'll...keep that in mind. You ready?"

With one last deep breath still calming down, he nodded.

Y/n: "Yeah, let's get it over with."

I took the needle and stitches, and got to the still pretty new to me process of closing up his wound. Blake figured she might as well show me, since it would be a good idea for me to know how to do it. Doesnt make it any less gross though.

After a few gross minutes of stitching his front closed, which thankfully his back was still okay, I was finally able to put the stitches away and put on a new set of bandages. So much for all that energy he got back, he looks dead tired again. But I guess getting clocked in a fresh gut wound and then bleeding for a bit will do that to you. Once his bandages were on, I immediately went to the sink to wash his blood off my hands.

Ruby: "Gross, gross, gross, gross..."

I think it goes without saying that I am not a fan of having someone's blood all over me. Part of me wants to be angry at Y/n for not being more careful, but I cant really blame him. After the vague warning Lamb gave him, I would've thought I had more time too.

Y/n: "Sorry Rosebud. I kinda screwed up this time."

He looked exhausted as he stood back up and put his jacket on again. I finished up washing my hands and helped him back into the room, and he laid back on Weiss's bed, since there was no way he was gonna get back up onto ours.

Ruby: "Dont be sorry Umbra. You dont really have anything to be sorry for."

We both were distracted for a moment by the quiet, distant boom of thunder. Looking towards the window, we could see the rain as it started falling, quietly tapping against the window. He let out a sigh that seemed to be both content and disappointed at the same time. I kinda see it...

Feeling pretty tired myself, I decided to lay down next to him. Sorry Weiss.

"I can kinda see why you like the rain so much. Its soothing..."

I let out a large yawn as the desire to sleep hit me like a wave. And before I completely registered him wrapping an arm around me, I was out like a light.

...

I woke up in some sort dream.

It was very dark. Just an inky black void all around me. It was strange to me though, because I wasnt scared, or cold, or anything. The feeling was actually pretty comfortable. Warm.

I could feel a short burst of a breeze around me. Air rushing in one direction. When I turned around to face that direction, I was met with the sight of an ornate wooden door just a little ways ahead of me. It felt almost like the dark was...not pushing...ushering me, in the direction of the door. Seeing no reason not too, I walked towards it.

Reaching the door, I swear I could hear the sound of rain on the other side. A soft pitter patter across ground. With my curiosity in full drive, I placed my hand on the knob, and opened the door.

On the other side I was greeted by what appeared to be an exact copy the dorm room. From the makeshift bunk beds, the paintings on the walls, all the way to a picture of me, yang, dad and Y/n that we took on our visit to Patch. Uncle Qriw was even in the background. It was resting on one of the desks.

Dad and Y/n didnt get to know each other for super long before we left for Beacon, so when we visited they got to connect more, and they hit it right out of the park. They were pretty much best friends already. And not to mention Uncle Qrow. Those two seemed to have endless things they could talk about. Which isnt something you see a lot of from my uncle.

The entire environment had an almost dimmed, greyscale appearance, save for a few things like the beds, paintings and the photo. I wasnt sure what I was seeing honestly, or why I was seeing it, but that sense of genuine calm kept me from thinking about it too much.

Outside the dorm window, the rain continued to fall gently like a soft watery blanket. The more I looked at it the more I wanted to stay there and enjoy it, but my attention was soon grabbed by what sounded like someone tuning a guitar. The sound was distant, but definitely coming from behind me.

Turning around, I noticed that the door was still open, but instead of leading to an empty void, it led out into what looked like the halls of Beacon. All with that same greyscale aesthetic. Stepping into the hall, the sound of music became ever so slightly louder, and I could hear it coming from my right very clearly. The melody was...soothing...like I could fall asleep to it.

But my curiosity to find the source kept me awake, and closing the door on my way out, force of habit I guess, I followed the sound.

I paced my way through the winding halls, tracing an all too familiar path as I soon found myself standing before Beacons massive courtyard. Like always, the massive tower looked in the background, shining a pale light in the slightly darkened and cloudy sky. I noticed some key changes though.

The first and most noticeable, was that the massive statue that normally rested in the center of the courtyard was missing, instead replaced by a decent sized gazebo, which also seemed to double as some sort of bar.

Approaching to get a better look, the sound of the guitar was noticeably louder now. Whatever was making it was there. I was getting soaked slightly by the rain, but my curiosity didn't let me care.

The entire gazebo was decorated with strings of fairy lights that hung from the ceiling, illuminating the shelter from the rain with a warm, comforting glow, similar to one from a fireplace. It was very homey. In front of the bar, as you'd expect, was a row of stools for people to sit, but the more interesting thing about them was what occupied one.

Sitting there in his familiar coat was none other than Y/n, who seemed entirely at home, eyes closed as he strummed the acoustic guitar in his hands. By now, he had started again. A series of relaxing songs falling from the strings. I swear I could feel the music in the air.

I simply leaned against the entryway to the gazebo while he played, admiring from this distance. Music always was a second home to him. He told me before that on Earth he never had any talent for instruments. It simply came to him here on Remnant. But he was happy about it. It gave him a way to keep the music he loved alive.

As his last song settled down, he relaxed in his seat for a moment, eyes still closed. Reaching behind him slightly, he grabbed what looked like a glass of soda off the bar and had a drink. Halfway through his swig he opened his eyes and noticed me, immediately choking on his drink and nearly spitting all over the place. It took a lot of me to not fall over laughing.

He blinked a few times at me before he relaxed, sighing, then speaking.

Y/n: "Sorry. I want expecting anyone this time around. Honestly, I never thought you'd find your way here."

That brought up the question of the hour of course. But before I asked, I moved to take a seat next to him.

Ruby: "I didn't do it on purpose. Where even is here though?"

Y/n took a look around himself in what appeared to be slight nostalgia before he looked back at me and responded.

Y/n: "I like to call it the Mindscape...welcome to my head Rosebud."

His soft smile seemed to shift into a slight frown.

"Jeez, your drenched. Where did you end up?"

He stood up as I answered, but I admittedly zoned out a bit as I was explaining and lost track of what he was doing, poking slightlyat the bar counter in front of me. And now that he pointed out my soaked clothes, i was starting to feel cold.

Ruby: "I showed up at the dorm. Everything here all looks so...real. I didnt even notice I was walking through the rain at first-"

Before I got a chance to continue, I felt him wrap his coat around my shoulders from behind. With him being a much bigger person than me in every way, I pretty much fit inside the huge coat like a blanket. It was super embarassing!

But it was warm...

Ruby: "You n-need your coat dont you? You'll get c-cold too..."

He simply smiled at me and planted a small kiss on my cheek. Which is soooo cheating by the way! I'm trapped in this...way too comfortable jacket...

Y/n: "Nonsense. If my Rose is happy, then I'm happy. Besides, I've always liked the cold."

I wanted to fight him about it more, but like I said, this thing was way too comfortable. Before I even knew what I was doing I was snuggled up in the thing. Yeah, it was embarassing...worth it...

He finished up his soda, and gestured over towards a comfortable looking futon over in the corner, angled perfectly to look outside the gazebo.

"Care to watch the rain with me Rosebud?"

Maybe it was just the place we were in, my sudden affinity for the rain, or even just wanting to be near him. Nonetheless I agreed.

Ruby: "That sounds awesome right now..."

With a chuckle, I felt as he picked me up from the seat I was in and began carrying me towards the spot. I wasnt even fighting the oven's on my cheeks anymore.

'Yeah, yeah laugh it up...you win this round you...beautiful man...'

The next time I opened my eyes, I noticed we were already laying beside eachother, just relaxing... I know we kinda did this a lot already, but he really scared the hell out of me when he got stabbed. I mean, it hurt like hell of course, but I didnt even notice I was feeling the pain until we had gotten him back to Beacon and resting in bed. I was way too scared.

I guess he noticed me tightening my grip on him, because he looked down at me snuggled into his chest, and stroked my hair as he spoke.

Y/n: "What's on your mind Rosebud?"

Just the thought of what could've happened if that Neo girl didnt miss...I hate that my brain wont stop thinking about it.

Ruby: "Please dont scare me like that again...please dont get yourself killed...I dont think I could ever live like that..."

Tightening his own hold on me, he spoke as softer than I'd ever heard before.

Y/n: "I'm not going anywhere Ruby. I promise."

I'll admit I shivered, but not with the cold. I dont know why, but something about the way he always called me 'Rosebud'...it just made it so magical whenever he used my actual name. I love the feeling. Its, admittedly, one of the reasons I decided to come up with a nickname for him. I wanna try and give that same feeling back, if possible.

Ruby: "Thank you..."

Y/n: "Anytime, love"

And then for the second time that day, I fell asleep in his arms.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(Hello lovelies, did you enjoy? I hope you did. This chapter is a bit shorter at about 6020 words, but hopefully it was a nice change of pace. I wanted it to be a bit more mellow. Yet I still broke Cardins arm...meh.)

(Hope you enjoyed! Until next time!)

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

72.5K 888 10
Y/N has always been a freak of nature in other's eyes. He was never able to summon glyphs, he looked nothing like his family. Soon, he's taken in by...
6.1K 110 11
(RWBY x Mute Male Reader, Volume 1) First book, spelling mistakes, bla bla you get it. Each volume will be a separate book cuz fuck it. Also, a (not...
125K 2.2K 20
What do you think this story about? It's just another Reader is who's a Grimm and she now has a Yuri Harem on her adventure. Disclaimer: I do not own...
61.2K 904 47
I DO NOT OWN RWBY ROOSTER TEETH OWNS RWBY THERE ARE SOME FEW SPOILERS IF YOU HAVENT WATCHED RWBY YET So this is just a fanfic for the readers who wa...