MALAKAI (The 'Mala Series' bo...

gbebia द्वारा

Kai is one of the greatest sword fighters in all six kingdoms, of course the six kingdoms don't know that. He... अधिक

ct-1 Arocelli
ct-2 Katherine
ct-3 The Other side
ct-4 The Resolve
ct-5 Into the woods
ct-6 The Castle
ct-7 Hidden in plain slight
ct-8 Kai's Day One
ct-9 The ball
ct-10 The voice
ct-12 Mala ball
ct-13 Feelings?
ct-14 Staying away
ct-15 No more fretting
ct-16 Too smooth
ct-17 The end of the beginning
ct-18 Come clean
ct-19 Malakai
ct-20 Levi
ct-21 The Attack
ct-22 Whats the plan?
ct-23 Divide and conquer
ct-24 Safe travels
ct-25 Heading for the gala
ct-26 What slides and slithers in the woods
ct-27 No semblance of normal
ct-28 prepare for battle
ct-29 WAR! pt-1
ct-30 WAR! pt-2
ct-31 WAR! pt-3
ct-32 gods and sacrifices - Final Chapter

ct-11 Uncle Jerome

32 5 6
gbebia द्वारा

"Who's Mara?" Katherine asked.

She had heard Kai calling the name softly in his sleep. Then his breaths had started getting harder and she was so scared for him that she woke him up.

His light gray eyes held hers before he looked elsewhere.

"She's no one." He said, his voice holding more emotion than he thought he hid. She was going to keep pressing when his gaze turned back to her, his beautiful features and dread locks illuminated by the sunlight.

That's when she was conscious of herself. First she realized her arm was propped on his chest. Then she realized her face was too close to his. Then she looked at her body.

She was wearing a large shirt that could have come from no one but him. Nothing underneath but her underthings. Unbelievable, she thought to herself.

Then she turned back to him. His eyes moved to her lips for a moment. It took conscious effort to not look at his. She got off of him gently.

Then she sat up on the bed and began to make her hair into a rough bun.

"How Bad was I yesterday?" She asked Kai who was already up on his feet. His muscular frame appealing to her eyes. Snap out of it Kat, she said to herself.

"Nothing I couldn't handle lady princess." Kai said.

"I might not remember a lot cause I was drunk yesterday." Katherine said, while getting off the bed and to her feet. "But I do remember asking you to call me Katherine when it's just us."

"Sorry Katherine." Kai said with a smile that met his eyes. He was standing on the other side of the bed.

She settled on the bed once again, sitting this time and rubbing her forehead.

"I messed up yesterday Kai." She said.

It was silent for a while before she heard Kai approach her then settle beside her.

"It's not wrong to want to feel loose sometimes Katherine. It's alright." he said.

She looked at him again. Not helping Kai, she thought then turned her gaze away from him cause his understanding made him all the more handsome. He had always been handsome, why did it feel so weird to her now?

"No one can see me leave your house." she said "it would cause unnecessary rumors."

Just then there was a knock on the door.

"I've got an idea." Kai said.

A few minutes later, Kai came back with a black hoody. She had already put on one of Kai's less bigger leather pants.

"I made up an excuse for Estella to get me this." Kai said. This should take you as far as the guards at your door.

"I can handle them." Katherine said.

He went behind her and helped her put the hoody on, then he stepped back.

"I better get going." She said

"Of course." he said. Then he led her to the foyer and then out the door. "I'll see you in an hour princess." he said.

She made to leave, then turned back.

"Thank you Kai, for helping me through yesterday." she said "and last night most especially." she added

His reply was a warm smile she did not know he could muster till now. She turned on her heels and left.

She soon arrived at her house and got past the guards with a simple wink. It wasn't the first time she didn't return home.

She took a warm bath while Julia massaged her scalp. And after that, brushed her hair. She liked Julia, and she trusted her. Julia was about two years older than Katherine, but she had the mind of a grandmother.

Sebastian soon came with the message that the queen wanted to have a formal breakfast with the princess, lady Elena and lord Jerome. Uncle Jerome.

Elena was Uncle Jerome's daughter and they shared much resemblance. Uncle Jerome was kind and good to them. But after the death of Katherine's father, he was grief struck. And after he discovered the truth about his brother - her father - he became distant. He couldn't face them.

Katherine did not want to focus on that truth either, so she didn't. But it wouldn't be the same for Esther. Jerome would be a reminder of what their father did to her. She needed to be there for her sister now more than ever.

No matter the reminder of pain he brought with him, Katherine and Esther were glad when Jerome had said he was coming.

Katherine wore a loose pink gown today. Her hair was done into a neat bun by Julia. She walked into her living room to find Kai, arms folded, staring out her window at the snow dusted courtyard.

She went and stood beside him. He was wearing a black tunic today, his large sword - which he'd told her during the week was name heros - peeked dangerously from his spine sheath.

"Should I bow Katherine?" He asked without turning to her.

"Not necessary Guardian." she said.

"You must stop it with this title." he said with a groan. She giggled.

"I'm going to have breakfast with my uncle, the Queen and Elena." She said. He raised his eyebrow in question.

"Elena is my Uncle Jerome's daughter." she said

"I see." he replied

"After that." she added "i want to take you somewhere."

His eyebrows shot up in amusement.

"You want to take me somewhere?" He asked again. She rolled her eyes.

"Don't look so surprised." she said.

They were soon off to the hall where Kai's welcome dinner was held. She arrived to find that all the breakfast invitees were already there.

Uncle Jerome with his blonde hair and blue green eyes sat beside Elena on the large table. Esther sat at the head of the table.

Her uncle, when he caught sight of her, immediately rose and came over to her.

"Katherine." he said in excitement, his voice smooth and rough at the same time.

"Hello uncle Jerome." she said with a smile. He embraced her then put her at arms length and looked at her. His gaze reminded her of a traumatic past but she held her emotions firm and kept her smile.

"Look at you. You've gotten so big." he said. He turned to Esther then back to her.
"You both look just like her." He said in almost a whisper.

She knew he was talking about her mother who had died in a shipwreck on her way back from Embberdale. Katherine was only five and Esther six, but they still felt grief for their mother.

She settled down on the table beside Esther. Kai was standing with Nesta at a corner in the hall. They were engaged in conversation and she suddenly wished she was Nesta.

She and Elena exchanged pleasantries then everyone began eating.

"I came to surprise you in your rooms last night Katherine, but you weren't there." Uncle Jerome said. And she wished he hadn't said that.

She slowly turned to Esther who she knew would be glaring daggers at her right now, only to find Esther smiling deviously at her.

"Yes, pray tell Katherine, where where you last night?" Esther asked.

If Esther wasn't glaring at her murderously, then she knew that Katherine arrived at the castle last night. But if she knew that, then she knew where she slept last night.

Katherine groaned inwardly. Damn spies, she thought. She'd never hear the end of this one from Esther.

"I was out on serious castle business." she said.

"Yes it must have been very serious uncle." Esther said, no doubt mocking Katherine. "I thrust - I mean trust her."

"Okayyyy." Katherine said in an effort to change the conversation. "How's aunt Jasmine." she asked her uncle.

"Oh she's well. She longs to see you all." he said. "Especially you Elena." he said turning to his daughter who had been silent beside him. "When will you come visit us at the manor hmm?"

Jerome had a large family manor in Sudara, the next best state in Arocelli after Queens capital.

"I'll visit soon father, do not worry." Elena said, her brown hair bouncy and attractive. She was twenty three and should have been married to a wealthy lord somewhere by now but she chose to be in Esther's court for some unknown reason. Esther had no problem with it.

When they were done eating and the table was cleared by maids. They conversed for a while, talking about the governments in other kingdoms and how well Esther was managing on her own.

Occasionally Uncle Jerome would mention their fathers name - Casper - stating how much he missed him or what he would have done in a difficult case. Then Esther would stiffen and Katherine would have to soothe her by holding her hand underneath the table.

It vexed her that her Uncle was suddenly able to talk so simply about their father knowing the things he had done that would leave Esther scarred for life.

"I've been called to an emergency summit holding in two weeks." Esther suddenly said.

Everyone was silent for a while. It could only be for one thing.

"They want to see the elf." Katherine said

"I'm afraid word travels fast Esther, no matter how hard you try to suppress it." Uncle Jerome said. He was probably the only one, apart from Katherine, who could call the Queen by her name.

When an emergency Summit was held, the rulers of all the six kingdoms would gather on an island that was in between the six kingdoms, and they would talk about issues that were threats to the six kingdoms. It had never been called once in Esther's seven year reign as Queen.

"I can't refuse them." Esther said "it would be considered as hostile and I can't make an enemy out of all the kingdoms." she said.

"Then you must go." Jerome said

"Yes, I must." Esther said. She looked like she was making decisions in her mind at that moment.
"But I must leave the kingdom in capable hands." she said. "Katherine will you watch over my kingdom while I'm away?" Esther asked.

"You know I want to help you in every way sister, but the only thing I know about ruling the kingdom is signing paperwork's. I don't even read some of them." Katherine said sympathetically. She hated for her sister to be in this position.

"What about your advisors?" Elena asked

"I do not trust Banner. And he has influence over all of them. He also does shady things he thinks I am not aware of." Esther said, looking like she was deep in thought.

"Could I be of assistance?" Jerome asked

They all turned to him. Then Esther looked as though she was considering this.

"Would you really extend your stay for the Kingdoms's sake uncle?" Esther asked

"Of course. Anything for you or your kingdom." He said.

Esther was silent for another while. Then she spoke.

"Very well then." Esther said "Before I leave uncle, I will name you my hand, should you wish it."

"It would be my honor lady Queen." Jerome said

"Thank you uncle." Esther said with a smile.

Katherine looked to Elena. She stared at nothing. She rubbed her knuckles against her palm and almost looked nervous. When she noticed Katherine staring, she mustered up a fake smile.

Uncle Jerome was capable. He was an experienced lord, he was learned in government, he was family, and he had their trust.

So why did Katherine feel something was terribly wrong about all this?

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

66.9K 1.2K 37
"Why-why is he here?" I asked slightly feeling panicked. "Your father, Step- father owes me money. 36 million pounds to be exact." Stefan said as he...
411 169 43
Kai, an assassin, leaves his home and turns away from murder. In an attempt to start life anew, he travels across the sea, to a place called Ath. He...
2.5K 65 117
After the alarms, sirens and nuclear warnings, Kai wakes up in an empty white room. With no idea what to do, he just waits for anything to happen...h...
1.7K 224 22
The Blood King was the most powerful and dangerous King the kingdom of Thesonia has ever seen. He took no prisoners and destroyed anyone or anything...