Enchanted Adventure

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Aubree Mills is Henry's twin sister. The two of them track down their birth mother, the one person who is abl... More

Aesthetics
Playlist
I. Pilot
II. The Thing You Love Most
III. Snow Falls
IV. The Price of Gold
V. That Still Small Voice
VII. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
VIII. Desperate Souls
IX. True North
X. 7:15 A.M.
XI. Fruit of the Poisonous Tree
XII. Skin Deep
XIII. What Happened to Fredrick?
XIV. Dreamy
XV. Red-Handed
XVI. Heart of Darkness
XVII. Hat Trick
XVIII. The Stable Boy
XIX. The Return
XX. The Stranger
XXI. An Apple as Red as Blood
XXII. A Land Without Magic
XXIII. Broken
XXIV. We Are Both
XXV. Lady of the Lake
XXVI. The Crocodile
XXVII. The Doctor
XXVIII. Tallahassee
XXIX. Child of the Moon
XXX. Into the Deep
XXXI. Queen of Hearts
XXXII. The Cricket Game
XXXIII. The Outsider
XXXIV. In the Name of the Brother
XXXV. Tiny
XXXVI. Manhattan
XXXVII. The Queen is Dead
XXXVIII. The Miller's Daughter
XXXIX. Welcome to Storybrooke
XL. Selfless, Brave and True
XLI. Lacey
XLII. The Evil Queen
XLIII. Second Star to the Right
LVIV. And Straight on 'Til Morning
Book Two

VI. The Shepherd

353 13 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

Aubree's POV:

Henry, Emma and I stood by the stairs at David's Welcome Home Party.

Henry looked at Emma as he referenced David. "You know why he doesn't remember? The curse isn't working him yet."

I nodded. "Yeah. He needs a little more time."

Emma glanced between me and Henry. "Henry, Aubree, David has amnesia."

"Well, it's preventing the curse from replacing his fairy tale story with fake memories."

"Right. Because everyone here has fake stories that prevent them from remembering who they really are."

"Right," Henry agreed. "And now's our chance to help him. We just have to get him to remember that he's-"

"He's Prince Charming."

"We just have to jog his memory by getting him and Miss Blanchard together."

"Didn't we just try that?"

I smiled. "And it woke him up."

David joined us and said, "Hey. You're the ones who saved me, right?"

"Oh, yeah. I guess," Emma said.

"And, uh, you're also the only ones I know here."

"You can hide with us. Fantastic."

A man served David an appetizer. He stabbed a cocktail one with a toothpick.

"Oh, thank you," David said.

I elbowed Henry and made a sword-swinging motion and he nodded.

"So, you ever use a sword?" Henry asked.

David frowned. "I'm sorry? Emma, you live with Mary Margaret, right? You know if she's coming tonight?"

"No, she couldn't make it," Emma replied.

"Oh."

Kathryn approached Emma, Henry, Dr. Whale and me about ten minutes later and asked, "Have you seen David?"

Emma frowned. "Um, he..."

"No," Dr. Whale said bluntly.

Third Person POV:

Mary Margaret scrubbed a dish in her kitchen as Emma entered.

"You might want to ease up, or that brillo pad's going to press charges," Emma said.

"Dishes were just piling up..." Mary Margaret mumbled.

"This have anything to do with David stopping by? I saw him sulking away as I pulled up."

"We just, uh... He just..."

"Yeah, I know. You're both just. And you did the right thing."

"He made a pretty compelling case."

"But he's still married. I know -- I was just at the party."

"What do I do?"

Emma grabbed a bottle of whiskey and two glasses. She poured them both a drink.

"Here's the thing--" Emma began, "I don't know a lot about relationships, other than having many that failed. But generally speaking, if you think something you want to do is wrong, it is. So, you got to stay strong and he has to figure out his life. Cheers."

They clinked glasses.

David was in his living room. He had a box of pictures in front of him and was looking through them. Kathryn entered and sat next to David on the couch.

"You look different," Kathryn said. "Your hair -- it's longer. You used to always have a buzz cut. You used to complain that long hair was itchy and hard to take care of."

"I guess it grew while I was in there."

"So, I was going to go to bed. Do you... want to join me?"

"You mean, go to bed go to bed, or 'go to bed'."

"Whatever you want."

"Why don't we just sit and talk some more?"

After a moment, they kissed.

David pulled away. "This isn't right."

GRANNY'S DINER

Mary Margaret was reading the paper. The front page article was about David.

Dr. Whale walked up to her. "I'm a hell of a doctor, huh? No way he wakes up on someone else's watch."

Mary Margaret looked up. "Hello, Dr. Whale."

"So, I heard that you resigned from the hospital. I hope it wasn't because of me."

"Wh-Why would it be because of you."

"Well, our date... I never called you after. Yeah, I know, I know. It's not classy. And I'm sorry. But, if you could find a way to get over it, you know where to find me. Have a good day."

Dr. Whale left the diner and as he was walking out, Regina walked in.

"Miss Blanchard, may I have a word?" Regina asked.

"Of course," Mary Margaret replied.

"I wanted to talk to you about my friend Kathryn. But more specifically, I wanted to talk to you about her husband David. You don't belong together. He's not yours, he's taken, find somebody else."

"I haven't done anything."

"Really? So he just up and left his wife on a whim?"

"He did what?"

"You don't know."

Mary Margaret shook her head and Regina continued. "Well, I suspect you soon will. So listen carefully, dear, 'cause it's in your best interest. Stay away. He's in a fragile state, he doesn't know who he is or what he's doing, and you're this close to wrecking multiple lives. So, before you do something that can't be undone, let him remember who he was."

Regina left Mary Margaret alone in the diner.

Mary Margaret went to her classroom and used a letter opener to open letters.

David stood at the door. "Careful -- looks sharp."

Mary Margaret looked up. "You can't be here."

"I... I needed to see you."

"Tell me you didn't leave your wife because of me? I do not want to destroy your marriage."

"You're not. It's me. I don't want to hurt her, either, but the most hurtful thing to Kathryn would be me pretending. She needs someone to feel about her the way I feel about you."

"I'm trying really hard to stay away from you. To do the right thing."

"Why is that the right thing?"

"Because you already have a life."

The bell rang and kids began filing into the classroom.

"With someone I didn't choose," David explained. "The man who chose that life, whoever married Kathryn, is gone."

"You really have to leave me alone," Mary Margaret told him as she began pushing David out of the classroom.

"Is that what you truly want?"

"Go."

"Meet me tonight. At least think about it. I'll be at the bridge where you found me at 8:00. Think about it until then and then decide. If you don't show, I'll know. And I'll never bother you again. But if you choose this -- if you choose us -- you know where I'll be."

Emma was at her desk in the station.

Graham entered with a box of donuts. "Sometimes, clichés are true."

"Okay," Emma said. "What do you want?"

"Remember when I said no night shifts? I need you to work tonight. Just this once."

"Why?"

"I volunteer at an animal shelter, and the supervisor's sick, and someone needs to feed the dogs."

"Very lucky you bought a bear claw." She took a donut.

Mary Margaret ran into the room and said, "Emma, can I talk to you for a minute?"

"I'll just go patrol my office," Graham told them.

"Thanks," Emma answered.

Graham walked away, leaving them alone.

"He left his wife," Mary Margaret said. "David -- he left her. He left Kathryn."

"Okay, slow down," Emma replied.

"He did it for me. He wants me to be with him. He wants me to meet him tonight."

"That's, uh..."

"I mean, I'm trying so hard to be strong, but he just keeps coming. I mean, how do I stop it? You know, how do I let him down? What would you do?"

"I'd go."

"What?"

"Well, he left her. It's one thing to say that he wants you, but it's another to actually make a choice and now, he has. That's all you can ask for."

"Given her new friendship with Kathryn, I don't think Regina would be happy."

"All the more reason to do it."

"Good Lord, is this really happening?"

"You tell me."

David was walking down the main road. He had a map in his hands and ran into Regina.

"Mr. Nolan?" Regina called.

"Oh!" David cried.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you. I was just heading home from work and I saw you. Are you lost?"

"Yeah. Yeah, kind of. I'm looking for the Toll Bridge."

"Ah, where you were found."

"Yeah."

"Trying to jog your memory?"

"No, I'm meeting someone."

"So you made your choice."

"Yes."

"Well, I don't suppose I can convince you to change your mind?"

"I can't change how I feel."

"No, of course not. Walk down this street to Mr. Gold's pawn shop. You'll find a fork in the road -- go left. It'll take you to a hiking trail that leads directly to the bridge."

"Thank you for understanding."

"Good luck, David. I hope you find what you're looking for."

David ran down the street.

Meanwhile, Mary Margaret was waiting at the Toll Bridge.

David arrived at Mr. Gold's pawn shop. He looked around, realizing there wasn't a fork in the road.

He opened the door to the pawn shop and yelled in. "Hello?"

David entered the pawn shop and closed the door. "Hello?"

He looked around and came to a glass unicorn mobile. He went to touch is and Mr. Gold spoke up. "Charming."

"I'm sorry?" David questioned.

"The mobile. Isn't it charming? Exquisitely designed, masterly crafted... I can get it down, if you like."

"No, no. I mean, it's... It's very nice, but actually, I'm looking for the Toll Bridge. The Mayor said there was a fork in the road by your shop, but-"

"It seems Miss Mills has led you astray."

"Yeah, yeah you think the Mayor would know her own town."

"One would think. Out of the door, turn right, two blocks you'll find a trail. Can't miss it."

"Thank you."

David turned to leave. He paused, seeing a windmill.

"See something you like?" Mr. Gold asked.

"Where did you get that?"

"That old thing? That's been gathering dust for... Forever."

David spun the windmill and watched it go around. "I think... This belonged to me."

"Really? Are you sure?"

"Yes... I remember."

Mary Margaret was still waiting at the Toll Bridge. She was fiddling with the ring that Prince Charming's mother gave him.

David ran up behind her. "You came."

Mary Margaret turned to face him. "You sound surprised. In fact, you almost sound a bit disappointed."

"I remember."

"Kathryn?"

David nodded. "Everything."

"And you love her."

"I don't know. But I know I did. I remember how I felt and I think I have to honor that."

"And everything you said to me-"

"Is true. I do have feelings for you -- intense feelings. Feelings I don't quite understand."

"And you're going back to her."

"It's the right thing to do."

"The right thing to do, was not to lead me on."

"I know."

"So, you've made your choice."

"I'm sorry-"

"That's okay. I guess it just wasn't meant to be."

Mary Margaret walked off, leaving David alone.

Emma was doing her night shift. She drove past the Mayor's house and saw a figure leaving one of the windows. She pulled over and got out of the car. She ambushed the figure and hit them with her night stick. The figure was Graham.

"This is volunteering?" Emma asked in disbelief.

"Plans changed," Graham replied. "Regina needed me to-"

"Sleep with her?"

"No."

"Then... Why were you sneaking out the window?"

"Because... She didn't want Henry and Aubree to know."

"You did this with Henry and Aubree in the house?"

"They're sleeping. They don't know."

"Oh my God, I wish I was Henry or Aubree right now. This is disgusting."

"I really do work at an animal shelter."

"You can finish my shift. I'm done working nights."

She threw Graham the keys to the car and left.

David knocked on the door to his and Kathryn's house. Kathryn answered the door.

"You were right -- I did hate that windmill out front," David said.

Kathryn smiled "You remember."

David nodded and Kathryn asked, "How much do you remember?"

"Enough," David replied. "I know we weren't at a good place when I left. I know you thought I was leaving, but I wasn't. I wanted to work things out, I just... needed some time. Then I had my accident and got much more time than I expected. I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry, too."

"I know we have work to do. Let's see what happens."

"I'd like that."

Mary Margaret was sitting alone at Granny's Diner, fiddling with the ring.

Dr. Whale entered the diner and sat next to her and asked, "Rough day?"

"Don't feel like talking," Mary Margaret deadpanned.

"Come on. Sometimes, it's easier to talk to someone when you don't give a crap what they think?"

"You ever walk into a situation, where you know exactly what's going to happen and then you go into it anyway? And then, when what you're afraid of happens, you kick yourself. Because you should've known better. But that's just who you are. It's like you're punishing yourself."

"No."

"How do you do that?"

"By never knowing what's expected -- keeps life interesting. Can I buy you a drink?"

Mary Margaret glanced at him. "You can buy me two."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.5K 1.9K 46
Magic is in Storybrooke. Memories have returned. Families reunited. Curse is broken. As the curse is broken, Elias and Emma finally meet their parent...
56.5K 1.2K 16
What if Snow White and Prince Charming had twin girls? Emma and Brooklyn Swan grew up in the foster care system but were separated very young, Brook...
111K 2.6K 35
Saving Henry in Neverland turned out to be more tricky than the heroes originally thought. Through their mission to rescue Henry from the evil Peter...
72.2K 2.2K 46
We know the story of Emma Swan, mother of Henry, daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming. But what about the story of Elias Swan, father of Henry...