๐ฎ๐ง๐ฌ๐ฉ๐จ๐ค๐ž๐ง, daryl dixon

By shalabiz

โ in the sound of silence, we found sanctuary. in every word unspoken, love. โž da... More

unspoken
edit
part i
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
part ii
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
forty-one
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
forty-five
forty-six
forty-seven
forty-eight
forty-nine
fifty
fifty-one
part iii
fifty-two
fifty-three
fifty-four
fifty-five
fifty-six
fifty-seven
fifty-eight
fifty-nine
sixty

twenty-four

12K 525 357
By shalabiz

— 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗪𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗬-𝗙𝗢𝗨𝗥
( 𝘈𝘋𝘈𝘗𝘛. )

ONCE MURPHY FINISHED her meeting with Deanna, Aaron decided to take Rick, Carl, and her to their new homes. As they walked down the street, Murphy smiled at the people she passed. They seemed kind and genuine. Kids biked and adults chatted with each other. It was as if the apocalypse never happened. The notion itself began to disturb Murphy. Had these people not experienced the trauma of the breakout? Before Murphy's thoughts ran rampant any longer, the four had reached the houses.

"Here you go," Aaron gestured, a wide smile on his lips. "They're both yours."

The two houses that stood before them were huge. Larger than anything Murphy had seen for years. They were practically mansions with their sprawling porches and pristine decor.

"Both of 'em?" Rick asked in shock.

"At your disposal," Aaron replied. He pointed to the slightly larger one with a green door. "I'd call dibs on that one. It's got more... curb appeal."

The three of them didn't reply. They couldn't reply. Who knew that they'd be given two homes with no expense, simply because a community wanted to help them? It was unbelievable.

"Listen, I know you're still feeling us out, but I'm glad you came. Anyway, Deanna's asked everyone to give you your space so they aren't all coming at you at once. Take your time. Explore. You need anything, you call me. I don't - we don't have phones. I meant... I'm four houses down," Aaron finished shyly, keeping his head down as he walked past the trio.

"Thank you," Carl responded.

At first, Murphy almost laughed at the fact that the child was able to handle all of this better than the adults. But then she realized... it made perfect sense. She had lived in the real world. She had grown up, gone to university, and gotten engaged in the real world. And now, they were expected to go back to that. It was harder than she thought it would be. But Carl, he'd done nothing but adapt his whole life. He hadn't known anything else. So this was nothing new. It was the way it went, and that broke Murphy's heart.

"Murphy?"

Her eyes snapped to the young voice who spoke her name. It was Carl.

"You good?" He asked, his eyes showing concern.

"Yeah," Murphy responded with an affectionate smile. "Don't worry."

Rick watched the two, happy that his son was letting her in. It had been a long time since he'd seen that. Not since Michonne. So he set a hand on Carl's shoulder and locked eyes with Murphy, "C'mon. Let's check it out."

The three slowly made their way up the sturdy stairs. The green door came before them and Rick opened it, revealing the grandeur of the interior. The home was spotless and untouched. Empty picture frames were set on a bench by the entrance, as if they were supposed to fill them with pictures of their own. Murphy entered more slowly than the two boys, who quickly made their way into the kitchen. Carl stepped toward the island sink and turned the faucet on in disbelief. They had running water.

Rick let out a chuckle, setting his hands on his hips, "I think we're all due for a shower."

Murphy nodded silently, a smile on her face. On the counter beside her, a couple piles of clothes were set. Both women's and men's clothing was there, and Murphy pulled a t-shirt off of the top, tossing it to Rick, "You go first. And shave the beard."

"You don't have to tell me twice," Rick responded softly, subconsciously bringing his hand up to his cheek. He passed Murphy, taking a few more items of clothes before making his way upstairs. As he disappeared from view, Murphy turned to Carl.

"I'm gonna check out the other house, probably take a shower there," she said, pointing next door. "Will you be okay here?"

"Yeah, I'll probably go through all the rooms just to be careful," Carl responded, looking around once more.

The smile on Murphy's face dropped and she stepped closer to the young boy, "I think we'll be okay here, Carl. You don't need to worry. This isn't out there."

Carl's sad blue eyes looked up at her, and he nodded. Murphy set her hand on his shoulder before turning to walk out of the house. The others were still going through their meetings with Deanna, so she entered the home next door alone. It was similar to the first, as most of these suburban neighborhoods were. She took clean undergarments, jeans, and a light sweater from the pile of clothes on the dining table. The first bathroom she saw in the upstairs hall had a shower, so she quickly went inside and shut the door behind her.

As she walked further inside, her reflection in the mirror was in the corner of her eye. She slowly turned to see herself, scared of what she would find. Surprisingly, she wasn't shocked. She looked precisely how she thought she would. Dirty, greasy, thin, and tired. She hadn't seen a mirror since before the end of the world, let alone a shower. The last few years had been about survival and nothing more. Appearances were last on the long list of importance, so she didn't kick herself for looking the way she did.

She opened the shower door and turned on the water. The warm liquid streamed from the head, and the feeling of it on Murphy's hand was practically euphoric. She let it warm before retreating to peel off her clothes. The dirty fabric fell onto the floor and she carefully stepped into the shower. As she was under the water, the blood and grime washed away under the rivulets. Murphy leaned her head back to let the water run through her hair, combing her fingers through it to make sure the dirt had disappeared. How long she was in there, she didn't know - but it wasn't long enough.

After she had finished her shower and vigorously brushed her teeth with a clean brush set out, she was done. Murphy felt like a new person as she stepped out of the house in clean clothes and a clean body. She felt good, almost... happy. Outside, the others had congregated after their interviews with Deanna. They were all eager to see their homes. Murphy made her way over.

"You took a shower?" Maggie asked with a smile.

"Yeah," Murphy responded, chuckling. "I forgot what it's like to be clean."

"I'm headin' in there now, see you in a few hours," Maggie joked, gesturing to the house.

As she turned away, Glenn suddenly rushed past from behind her, "Maggie, wait for me."

Murphy let out a laugh. A genuine laugh. She couldn't remember the last time she had. Daryl sat on the porch a few feet away, and as the sound reached his ears, his head snapped up to look for her. Her laugh was so sweet, so pure, that it formed the smallest smile on his chapped lips. Unnoticeable, but it was there. She looked the same, but different since she showered. She was just as beautiful. He quickly ducked his head down so his eyes fell to the porch floor once more, landing on the dead possum he set there. To distract himself, he unsheathed his knife and cut into the poor animal's belly, pulling out the innards onto the wood.

Murphy's eyes fell onto him, and she slowly made her way over. She noticed the gutted possum and froze going up the stairs, "Shit, Daryl. You really had to do that here?"

He looked up at her, squinting in the sun. He wiped his nose with the back of his hand and went back to his work, "I don' see no damn cuttin' board."

Murphy walked directly across from him, sitting down on the porch and leaning against the railing. She was still a safe distance away from the possum, "When I was inside I think I saw three, so..."

She trailed off, a smile gracing her lips and her eyes brightening. He scoffed, his cheeks warm. Before either of them continued, Rick and Carol made their way over.

Carol set her hands on her hips, "The houses are right next to each other, but..."

Rick bounced Judith on his hip. Murphy's eyes softened at the gurgling baby girl. He spoke up, "They took our weapons and now they're splitting us up."

"Yeah," Daryl grumbled across from Murphy.

Her eyes flickered across each of their faces, "I guess it's better to be safe."

"Yeah," Rick responded. "We'll all be staying in the same house tonight."

___

They did. Whatever blankets and mats they could find were scattered around the living room floor. Carol sat on the couch, sketching what looked like a map of the community, Daryl sat by Judith's crib, Sasha and Abraham kept an eye outside, Carl was reading a comic, and Rosita and Tara were already laying down. The others, including Murphy, were mingling around, making sure that everyone was situated.

A knock suddenly sounded from the front door. It startled the group, and everyone adjusted in preparation for something bad. But Rick walked toward the door, opening it to reveal Deanna. She stepped through the doorway, "Rick, I- Wow."

She froze, noticing Rick's shaved face. He let out a soft groan, tired of the countless reactions he'd gotten. She continued anyway, "I didn't know what was under there. Listen, I don't mean to interrupt. I just wanted to stop by and see how you were all settling."

She looked around the room, shocked to see the whole group, "Oh, my. Staying together, smart."

"No one said we couldn't," Rick replied steadily.

"You said you're a family. That's what you said," Deanna reasoned, but her gaze traveled to Murphy. "As did Murphy, if I recall correctly."

Murphy looked down, feeling the eyes of most people in the room on her. She shuffled uncomfortably.

"Murphy, I've been meaning to talk with you since this morning. I guess we got a little distracted during our meeting" Deanna chuckled. "But I wanted to discuss your job here in Alexandria. With your medical experience, I think you know what I'm about to ask you. Now, I know we already have a doctor, but I have a feeling you can bring a lot more to the infirmary and really benefit the community. What do you think?"

"Uh, I'd be glad to help in any way I can," she replied.

"Great," Deanna muttered, pleased. "You'll be a doctor here, then. A surgeon and a pediatrician. You're welcome to discuss more with Pete when you get the chance."

Murphy nodded, sending the kind woman a smile. Rick stepped forward, "You've given everyone jobs."

"Mhm," Deanna grinned. "Part of this place. Looks like the communists won after all!"

Rick chuckled, letting his hand slide down the door, "Well, you didn't give me one."

"I have. I just haven't told you yet," Deanna replied ambiguously. "Same with Michonne. I'm closing in on something for Sasha. And I'm just trying to figure Mr. Dixon out, but I will."

Daryl set his arm on the window sill, looking out into the black night to avoid the numerous pairs of eyes.

"You look good," Deanna finished to Rick and turned to exit the home, leaving them for the night. Afterwards, everyone settled down and prepared for some rest. Daryl had made his way out to the porch and hadn't come back inside. Murphy wanted to go out and talk him into returning, but she decided against it. He probably needed some space. So she laid down on a soft blanket instead of dirt, her head on a pillow instead of her bag, and fell into a deep, restful sleep.

___

The next morning, Murphy was the last to wake. They others had risen early, but when she woke up, the living room was empty. Blankets were still strewn everywhere, but no one was there. Murphy sat up on her elbows, raising a hand to rub her eyes in the bright light. After a moment, she pushed herself off of the floor and stood, stretching her arms high above her head. She adjusted her shirt and flattened her hair, but quickly decided she looked presentable enough. She opened the front door of the house and walked onto the porch. The warm spring air brushed against her cheeks and her eyes fluttered closed in the weather.

"G'mornin'," A gruff voice sounded from her left.

"Hey," Murphy replied cheerfully, making her way towards Daryl. He sat on the railing of the porch, his legs propped up and his crossbow set in his lap. He fiddled with it, adjusting the coils. "You get any sleep?"

"Mhm," Daryl nodded, not looking up from his working hands.

Murphy narrowed her eyes at him, slowly climbing onto the railing beside him, "You're lying."

Daryl stopped, his eyes locking with hers, "It don' matter."

"It does," Murphy replied. "Why aren't you out looking around?"

Daryl shrugged, looking away.

"Hey, look at me," Murphy insisted, nudging his knee. "Something's on your mind. So talk to me."

Daryl was silent for a moment before looking at her through his long bangs, "I don' know. I don' feel like I fit in here, is all."

"We're all outsiders, Daryl," Murphy reasoned. "They don't understand what we've been through."

"Nah, you're not hearin' me right."

"I know exactly what you're saying. And I know you don't."

Daryl stopped his work on the bow, looking up at Murphy with an unreadable expression upon his face. He bit his lip, his eyes squinted. His knee bounced nervously upon the railing.

"Why you gotta be so damn reasonable?"

Murphy let out a laugh, looking down at her fiddling hands. Strands of hair fell before her eyes as she locked eyes with him once more, "I was gonna head to the infirmary. Come with me?"

Daryl took a deep breath, preparing to respond, when the front door opened. It was Carol, cleaned and newly dressed. She wore a flowered sweater, a frilly shirt, and slacks. Murphy's jaw fell open, but her mouth still showed a hint of a smile.

"Time to punch the clock and make the casseroles," She jested, buttoning up her sweater.

"Wow," Murphy released, setting her chin in the palm of her hand. "Look at you."

"What?" Daryl asked shortly.

"Make dinner for the older people - moms who need a break, people who can't cook," Carol explained, her blue eyes shining with something Murphy couldn't decipher. "Get to meet a lot of the neighbors that way."

Daryl scoffed, observing his bow for the umpteenth time, "All right."

"Have you taken a shower yet?"

"Mhm."

Carol locked eyes with Murphy, who shook her head silently. Carol nodded in understanding with a smile, turning back to Daryl with narrow eyes, "Take a shower. I'm gonna wash that vest. We need to keep up appearances, even you."

"Hey, I ain't startin' now," Daryl responded gruffly.

Carol had begun to walk down the stairs, but called over her shoulder, "I'm gonna hose you down in your sleep."

"I'll help her," Murphy teased, sliding off the railing.

"You look ridiculous!" Daryl called after Carol.

Murphy shook her head at their antics. She backed away, still looking at Daryl, "You sure you don't want to come?"

"Yeah, you go ahead," Daryl mumbled. "Be careful."

Murphy nodded, beginning to walk down the street, "Take a shower. See you tonight!"

"Yes, ma'am," Daryl finished, smiling as she walked away from their home. Without her presence, he suddenly became more aware of the silence around him. He set his crossbow down beside him, contemplating.

Murphy made her way down the street, looking for the infirmary where she was supposed to meet this Pete. As her boots clicked on the sidewalk, she caught sight of Glenn, Tara, and Noah with a few other Alexandrian men. She decided to see what was going on, and ask for directions to the infirmary.

"Hey," she began. They all turned to her voice.

"Hey, Murph," Tara replied.

"What's going on?" Murphy continued.

Glenn gestured to the Alexandrians, "They are taking us on a run."

Murphy raised her brows, "They are?"

Even though she hadn't seen the community members in action, she guaranteed that the group was much more experienced than they were. With how sheltered they seemed to be, it didn't take a genius to understand who needed to take who on a run.

She faced the taller of the two men, holding her hand out for him to shake, "I'm Murphy."

He took it, giving her a solid hand shake, "Murphy, nice to meet you. I'm Aiden. Deanna's my mother. She told me a little about you."

"Good things, I hope," Murphy chuckled, partly in nervousness.

"Ah, of course," he responded. He seemed kind enough. He gestured to the man who stood beside him. "This is Nicholas."

"Hi," he introduced himself.

"Nice to meet you," Murphy muttered as she shook his hand. She turned back to Aiden. "I actually needed some help. Could you point me in the direction of the infirmary? Your mother gave me a job there."

"Yeah, sure. If you keep heading straight and then take a left, it'll be right there," he pointed. "Hope everything goes okay."

Murphy's brows furrowed at his cryptic words, but she smiled nonetheless, "Thanks."

"No problem. Take it easy."

"See you, Murph," Glenn spoke softly.

"Be careful, you guys," she replied, directing it to her three friends. They nodded as she walked away.

Nervous, but excited to see her new workspace, she made her way to the infirmary. She followed the directions given by Aiden, and soon enough, she was there. The building was small and a sign hung on the front door. Murphy slowly walked up the steps and halted right before it. She raised her hand to knock, but hesitated. She shut her eyes and pressed her lips together, but finally brought her fist down into the door three times. A short moment passed before the door was opened.

A tall, light-haired, middle aged man stood in the doorway. He hadn't opened the door fully, his body blocking the entrance, "Hi, can I help you?"

Murphy gave him a wide smile, "Yeah, I'm Murphy Adams. It's Pete, right? I just arrived yesterday with my group, but I have medical experience. Deanna said that I could work here."

Pete narrowed his eyes, shifting in an uncomfortable manner, "Deanna said... that you could work here?"

"Yes..." Murphy replied, studying the man. "Is that okay?"

"Uh, no actually," Pete replied, raising a hand to his slightly stubbled face. Murphy noticed his red eyes and odored breath. He was an alcoholic. "You see, I work better alone. I can't- I can't have you here. I'm sorry."

"But-" Murphy began, setting her hand on the door.

"You need to leave," Pete interrupted, pressing the door against her hand, slamming it closed.

Murphy stood in shock as she heard the lock click. The infirmary sign swung back and forth upon the closed door, irritating her. She brought her hands up to stop it, straightening it. She couldn't believe what had happened, bringing her hands up to run through her hair. She slowly backed away from the door, making her way down the porch steps. Her first day in her new home didn't start out the best, but she wouldn't let one drunk man stand in the way of her place in the community. It would work out like it always did. At least... Murphy prayed it would.

AUTHOR'S NOTE -- oh my god, you guys have no idea how much trouble i had with this chapter. ahhhh, it just would not work out. i'm still super unhappy with how it turned out, but whatever. here it is. it's super long and boring. i hope you guys enjoyed it anyway! what did you think? how was the first interaction with pete? ALSO THERE ARE PROBABLY SO MANY TYPOS. I PROOFREAD BUT IT'S 2:00 AM HERE SO I APOLOGIZE. please don't forget to vote and comment. your feedback has been giving me so much motivation lately, so thank you guys so much. love you all! xxx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

133K 4.7K 41
to her, the world was silent. she couldn't hear the birds sing, the leave rustling in the breeze, the crashing of a waterfall. she couldn't hear the...
113K 3.3K 78
'๐™‡๐™ค๐™ซ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™›๐™ž๐™œ๐™๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ. ๐˜ผ๐™˜๐™˜๐™ช๐™จ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ, ๐˜ฟ๐™š๐™ฃ๐™ฎ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ. ๐™„ ๐™˜๐™–๐™ฃ'๐™ฉ ๐™ž๐™ข๐™–๐™œ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™– ๐™ฌ๐™ค๐™ง๐™ก๐™™ ๐™ฌ๐™ž๐™ฉ๐™ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™œ๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™š...' *** H...
183K 3K 35
โI'm a Dixon, asshole.โž โžทLilia Dixon and her father discovers the horrors of what the new world is like. [season 7 - 9] โ€ขCarl Grimes x ocโ€ข โ€ขDaryl Di...
386K 8.9K 47
"there's a new sheriff in town!" "a damn good one too" - [carl grimes x fem!oc] [dixon] [twd season 3 - 8] [slowburn] It gets a lot better as you rea...