MALAKAI (The 'Mala Series' bo...

By gbebia

Kai is one of the greatest sword fighters in all six kingdoms, of course the six kingdoms don't know that. He... More

ct-1 Arocelli
ct-2 Katherine
ct-3 The Other side
ct-4 The Resolve
ct-5 Into the woods
ct-6 The Castle
ct-7 Hidden in plain slight
ct-8 Kai's Day One
ct-10 The voice
ct-11 Uncle Jerome
ct-12 Mala ball
ct-13 Feelings?
ct-14 Staying away
ct-15 No more fretting
ct-16 Too smooth
ct-17 The end of the beginning
ct-18 Come clean
ct-19 Malakai
ct-20 Levi
ct-21 The Attack
ct-22 Whats the plan?
ct-23 Divide and conquer
ct-24 Safe travels
ct-25 Heading for the gala
ct-26 What slides and slithers in the woods
ct-27 No semblance of normal
ct-28 prepare for battle
ct-29 WAR! pt-1
ct-30 WAR! pt-2
ct-31 WAR! pt-3
ct-32 gods and sacrifices - Final Chapter

ct-9 The ball

42 7 7
By gbebia

Kai walked back to his house pondering on what the elf said. Destiny has tasted your blood and she likes it?! What in the six kingdoms was that supposed to mean?

Sure the elf got his name slightly wrong but still, he was suspiciously close. Babayega greets you.

The elf's words kept playing in his mind over and over till he reached his house. He freshened up and soon heard a knock on the door. This time he put on a gray shirt and loose white pants, no need to make anyone squirm.

Estella was the one at the door. She held a tray of potato and carrot stew. Kai couldn't help his mouth watering from just the aroma.

"Guardian." Estella said in greeting. She offered him the tray. "On the princess's order." She said. Well, Kai thought, he could get use to this.

He took the tray from Estella. "Thank you Estella." he said, then retreated into his room and devoured the food.

A week and some days passed by smoothly. Kai knew his way to the princesses house now without Keita, but he would often see him in a duty post around the castle. Then he'd greet him. After a while, Keita had stopped being pale anytime Kai approached.

Early in the morning he would go to the barracks when there was barely anyone moving around. There he would train with heros, further his precision in throwing daggers, and exercise.

Following the princess around wasn't so bad after all. They would go to the library occasionally and read books there or take them to her house to read.

They found different kind of creatures like fae and faeries and many others. But what was most troubling was a book they found on creatures that came after the Armageddon. Creatures that were like the Babayega. If these things were out there then how had no one seen them all these years?

The princess made it her mission to find out everything about the creatures, and Kai would unfortunately be there through it all.

Kai supposed it wasn't so unfortunate since he was somehow involved in all this, according to the elf. Destiny likes your blood, the elf has said. The information the princess sought may be useful to him in the future.

The princess once took Kai to the main castle gardens where she showed him several rare flowers that the castle had grown. It was a beautiful place. The princess then put a daisy in his hair and told him it made him look less terrifying.

Then Kai actually laughed at the thought of him carrying a daisy around the castle. The Princess then, feeling offended, punished him by ordering him to leave the flower in his hair all day. Kai couldn't refuse an order, much to her amusement.

Kai woke up in a panic today. He saw Viktor in his nightmare, sleeping with a crying Mara.

Kai was tied to a chair, forced to watch. Then the whole Cadre had rounds with Mara.

He needed to get the atrocious thoughts out of his mind. He quickly put on a tunic and an overcoat, and headed for the barracks to train. It was October so it had started snowing in Arocelli.

When he got to the barracks, he heard someone inside the sparring room already. There was usually no one here but for the cleaners and occasional guard who would pass by.

He stepped in to find raven haired Nesta, sword fighting with four other guards. Three male and one female. She was besting them without effort. Soon she wore them out. She actually wore the four guards out. Impressive, Kai thought.

He stepped into the sparring room. The guards bowed their greeting towards him then came off the large soft mat that was the sparring area.

"You scared off my sparring partners with your grim face." Nesta said. Kai raised his brows.

"I have a grim face?" Kai asked "Have you looked in the mirror?" She glared at him, proving Kai's point.

"Well since you're here, we might as well spar." she said.

"That's not a very good idea." Kai said.

"Oh? Is the guardian scared?" She asked in a mocking tone. Kai chuckled darkly. It was never good when he chuckled darkly. He decided to pull himself together and hold back when fighting with her.

"Sure Nesta, lets spar." he said, then climbed the mat. He removed his spine sheath and dropped heros outside the mat.

Nesta picked up a blunt sparring sword and threw it to him. He caught it, then felt it's weight by spinning it around. Then they began circling each other.

"You're going down pretty boy." Nesta said

"I think I'm going to call you the grim reaper." Kai said. Then Nesta lunged at him. He dodged. The fighting began. Nesta was balanced, she was fast and she was focused.

She had moves, Kai thought. Kai blocked everything she threw at him. When she feinted left, Kai made to cut her off. But then she was so fast that her right foot connected with his jaw.

Kai, disoriented, fell off the mat.

"Pretty boy didn't see that one coming." Nesta said to the group of guards that had already surrounded the mat, more coming in.

Kai got up and massaged his jaw with his left hand. He licked his mouth and felt a trickle of blood. He stepped into the mat and set himself into a fighting stance, Nesta doing the same.

He had underestimated her. No more holding back.

Kai lunged at her. Nesta was already on the defense with her sword. She thought she was fast? Kai had trained with assassins who killed in a swipe. Then he had beaten those assassins.

Nesta found an opening then flung her sword at him. He ducked and before she could turn in attack, he already had his hand around her neck and his sword pointed at her face.

There were murmurs from crowd of Guards that had gathered.

"The grim reaper still needs lessons." Kai whispered in her ear, then released her. The crowd of guards then slowly dissipated.

"Where did you learn to fight like that?" Nesta asked him.

"A compound in Mohja" Kai answered. There was no point lying. She would never find it anyways.

"See you around guardian." Nesta said, then walked off.

Kai went home and took a nice invigorating bath. The princess had sent more shampoos and conditioners for his hair. She also threatened to flay him if he cut his forelocks.

He put on a white shirt, a brown knee length overcoat, and black pants. He went to the princesses house. Julia, her maid, answered the door.

"Guardian Kai." she said then bowed.

"Julia. How are you?" Kai asked.

"I'm well guardian. Please come in." she said. Kai walked into the foyer, then the living room. "The Princess is still in the bathing room, she should be out and ready soon."

"Thank you Julia." Kai said. Then he dropped onto the living room sofa.

A while later the Lady Princess stepped out of her room. She wore a long purple gown and her white hair was braided neatly. Her eyes shone its unusual blue, a blue the color of the sky. She looked exceedingly beautiful as usual.

Kai got up and bowed slightly to the princess.

"Lady Princess." Kai said in greeting

"Hello Guardian." she said with an annoyingly disarming smile. Kai looked around the room in expectancy. Her breakfast was usually here by now. He had become accustomed to eating breakfast with her.

"Will you not be having breakfast?" Kai asked.

"Well actually, we'll be having breakfast with my sister." she said.

"We?" Kai asked.

"Yes we." the princess said "My sister says she yearns for some amusement, and you are a very amusing person." she said with a giggle.

"Ah I see." Kai said. "So I'm a joke."

"Of course not Kai!" she said, putting her hand to her chest "It's just that...the castle's never been this fun you know? And that's cause of that look you get on your face when we call you guardian" she said while laughing. Kai just rolled his eyes.

"Alright alright." Kai said. "Let's go."

She led him to the Queens house located in the east side of the castle. They were met at the door by three guards who bowed their greeting. They went in.

The Queens foyer alone was as large as Kai's living room. They walked into her spacious and decorated living room. Nesta was standing by the queen who was sitting on a sofa. There was a table of pancakes, syrup, strawberries and orange juice before her.

"What took you so long?" The Queen asked.

"Lady Queen." Kai said in greeting then bowed. Nesta doing the same for the Princess.

"This hair isn't magic you know?" The princess said flipping the end of her long braided hair.

"Just get over here. I'm hungry." The Queen said. She waved her hand to the sofa opposite her.

Eating with the queen in her living room, Kai thought, he was far away from not being involved now.

The princess sat on the sofa, then when Kai hesitated, she pulled him onto the sofa.

"Oh Nesta stop being a bore and come eat with us." Queen Esther said.

"But lady Queen —" Nesta was cut off.

"No buts Nesta." Queen Esther said. "Come now."

Nesta hesitantly sat beside the Queen on the sofa. Then they began eating.

"So..." Queen Esther began "I heard you both sparred today."

"Ouu I heard that too." princess Katherine said. Of course they had their spies who gave them every little information. "The guards are saying you two are the fiercest in the kingdom." she said.

"Really?" Kai said, feigning interest.

"Really." The Queen said. "I would very much like to see you both spar soon."

"It's really nothing that interesting lady Queen." Nesta said

"Oh don't be modest." The Queen said. "Some guards say you're better than most even outside the kingdom. I would very much want to see you both spar."

"Me too." The princess said enthusiastically.

"Very well lady Queen. At your convenience." Kai said earning a warning glare from Nesta that said don't encourage her. Kai just smiled.

"Oh S..." Katherine called "I heard you were invited to a ball in the kingdom." She said. Queen Esther looked at the princess suspiciously.

"Yes I was invited to a ball which I sanctioned, but I cannot go as I have other pressing issues to attend to." The Queen said.

"Or you're just scared of leaving the castle." princess Katherine said.

"I am not scared of leaving the castle. As you well know uncle Jerome should be arriving tomorrow. I need to make preparations for his arrival." Queen Esther said.

"Oh please, Sebastian could handle that." Princess Katherine said.

"What is your point little sister?" The Queen said "Cause you know I'm not changing my mind."

"Well, this ball seems really important as there will be lords from all over the six kingdoms coming including the prince of Baros. He's crossed the seas just for the ball." The princess said

"So?" The Queen said

"This would be a great opportunity to strengthen relationships and make new alliances so I think I should represent you at the ball." Princess Katherine finished. All the while Kai and Nesta ate silently.

"Oh no no no." The Queen said. "You know how you are at events with drinks. I don't want you getting drunk and sealing an alliance with a prince or lord with your body."

"What did we talk about S?" Katherine said, a blush creeping her cheeks.

"Okay okay sorry. But you get my point." The Queen said.

"I'll be careful I promise. Plus I have the great guardian to protect me." The princess said.

The Queen turned to Kai whose face had already changed from being called the great guardian
"What do you think Kai?" Esther asked him.

Kai knew definitely that the princess was safer on castle grounds, but then he made the terrible mistake of looking at the princess who had made her impossible blue eyes more pleading than Kai could bear.

"I can take care of her lady Queen." Kai said hoping he was right.

"Nesta?" The Queen asked turning to Nesta. She was silent for a moment.

"I trust the guardian to do his job lady Queen." Nesta said, to Kai's surprise.

"Very well then Kat. You can go but be back by eleven pm." The Queen said.

"Oh thank you thank you thank you." Princess Katherine said in excitement.

"Katherine I beg you to please be careful." The Queen said, her voice soft with emotion.

"I will S." Katherine said.

They spoke for another while. Katherine had brought up the horrible idea of talking about themselves. Of course he knew she was just trying to get out information about him, but he got information too.

He knew they didn't trust him fully, they couldn't as they did not know much about him, but he was oddly warmed by the fact that they liked being around him. He didn't think he would ever admit to himself that he liked being around them too.

He found out that Queen Esther was twenty, Princess Katherine was nineteen and Nesta was twenty one. He found that Nesta was from Guresque. When they asked about his family, he told them he was raised in an orphanage.

Other questions were easy to get by.

Kai and Katherine left the Queens house and went back to Katherine's. She said she wanted to begin picking her things.

"You need to wear something decent too Kai." she said loudly from her room as Kai was sitting in the living room. Kai snorted. A tunic would suit him fine.

At eight pm, Katherine had convinced Kai to wear an attire handpicked by Sebastian. A black trouser made with fine linen. A white shirt that exposed his chest slightly and fine gentleman shoes.

She had showed Kai a few dresses and asked him to pick the one he thought looked best. He had gone for a stunning black gown that ended at her ankles instead of overflowing. He thought she always looked silhouetted when she wore black.

She unbraided her hair and had it in a ponytail. Two strands were left out on both sides of her face. She looked breathtaking.

"You're not carrying that are you?" She asked when Kai made to sheathe heros.

"Well what else am I going to defend you with?" Kai asked

"You'll look like a brute Kai!" She said. He then settled for hidden daggers.

They were soon on their way in a carriage being driven by a guard. The town looked lively even at this time. Shops were still open and bars were still thrumming with the sound of laughter from drunk men and women.

Soon they arrived at the venue of the ball. They stepped into the large hall alive with light and music. People moved about and so did waiters and waitresses. Some people were already dancing.

The princess was bowed to by the occasional person who would recognize her. She then dragged him to a corner where she began turning her head here and there as though she was looking for something.

"aha! I'm going to get us drinks." she said. When he was about to follow her. She refused.
"Look it's just over there, you can see me clearly. I'll be right back"

He hesitantly let her off. Soon she was talking with a tall handsome young man. The prince of Guresque. Kai recognized him because he had been giving paintings of almost every important royal person to study during his time with the cadre.

They then had a drink, then another. Then they made to go to the dance floor. Kai was immediately about to intercept them when she gave him a warning look.

He grunted in anger. If anything happened to her it would be on him. The prince put his hand around her waist and she put hers around his neck and they began waltzing. Kai couldn't understand why a sudden feeling of anger rose up in him. He wanted to turn away but he knew he had to keep a close eye on her.

A stunning red haired lady with brown eyes was suddenly in front of him.

"Hi." she said

"Hello." Kai said returning his gaze back to the princess.

"I'm Lady Celeste." she said then held out her wrist to him for a kiss. Kai took her hand and patted it with his other hand, then gave her the nicest smile he could muster up.

She chuckled In a way that would seduce a man.

"What's your name?" She asked

"Kai." he said

"No title?" she asked again

"No title at all." Kai said with satisfaction that only the castle residents knew him as 'guardian'.

"Well, Kai with no title." Celeste said "would you like to dance?" She asked

Kai accepted if only because it took him closer to the princess. They went to the dance floor and began waltzing to the melodious music.

Mara had taught him how to waltz. Her mother was a dancer. Mara liked to dance in the moonlight with Kai when the towns people would gather and play music with their instrument, and sometimes even without music.

He snapped out of the thought and found the princess was right beside he and Celeste, the prince in tow.

"Lady princess." Celeste said then curtsied.

"Hello Lady Celeste." she said. "I'd like to steal Kai for just a moment. In the meantime, meet prince Markesh of Guresque." She placed Celeste's hand in Markesh's then pushed them off gently.

She put her arm around Kai's neck then she put his hands on her hips.

"You're tipsy." Kai said

"What are you doing?" She asked him

"I'm dancing with you." he replied

"No you were dancing with Celeste. She looked like she was going to rape you with her eyes." the princess said. Kai began chuckling.

"I danced with her so I could keep a closer eye on you." He said "And why do you have a problem with who I dance with?" Kai asked curiously.

"Ugh." she said, then broke from him and stole Markesh from Celeste. Kai disappeared from the dance floor before Celeste would spot him again. She had several men crowding her for a dance anyways.

The Princess and Markesh moved to a corner where they began talking and drinking.

An hour later, after the princess had met with a few other lords with Kai watching her every move from a corner where he folded his arms and leaned on a wall, Markesh cornered her again. They had more drinks and then he saw Markesh place his hand on her shoulder, then rub it softly.

He didn't know when he was already moving but he was there in a matter of seconds.

"Lady Princess." he said "we must leave now." she looked totally drunk so Kai took her hand. Then he felt a tug as Prince Markesh dragged her back.

"I believe I and the lady princess were talking." he said in his Guresque accent.

"Ow, you're hurting me." the princess said tiredly.

"Let her go." Kai said, his voice deep and angry. Markesh let her go then walked closer to Kai.

"Do you know who I am?" He asked and three men suddenly broke from corners and stood behind Markesh. Kai put the princess behind him.

"I know who you are, but the real question is...do you know who I am?" Kai asked then growled his anger when the men made to step forward.

The prince Markesh then stretched his hands out in rebuke.

"Not today boys." The prince said, then walked away.

Kai led the princess out and into their carriage, the sharp air already warning them of a coming rain. They rode to the castle and then walked to her house with her giggling about every little thing she saw.

They turned the corner that would lead to her house when they saw a man walking towards her rooms with three guards trailing behind him.

The princess quickly tugged Kai back into the corner.

"That's my Uncle Jerome." she said in a whisper.

"So?" Kai asked

"So he can't see me like this. I'm a mess." she said, her face looking weary. Then she dropped her forehead on his chest and moaned.

"So what do you want to do?" He asked her. She immediately lifted her head.

"Well he's going to wait for me so, let's go to your place." she said, giving him a pleading look.

"Bad Idea princess." Kai said

"Kai, my uncle cannot see me like this and neither can my sister. We're going to your place...now." she said. Even in her drunken state, she had enough lucidity to order him around.

"Fine." he said.

Kai took her to his place.

"Wow, Sebastian did a neat job." She said, then began giggling. Kai led her to his room.

"I am so not sleeping with this gown." she tugged of her shoes then began stripping off her clothes.

Dead gods.

"Lady Princess." Kai said, then ran to his wardrobe and got her a large shirt of his.

"Thank you shy boy." she said with a mocking smile then put the shirt on while Kai looked at anywhere but her. The shirt stopped at her toned seductive thighs. Then she dropped on the bed and yawned loudly.

Kai folded her dress and put her shoes in a corner. Then he left the room. The sofa would have to do today.

It began raining minutes later and with it came thunder.

"Kai!" The princess called. Kai jumped off the sofa and into the room, his heart skipping a beat. The Princess sat on the bed with her arms wrapped around herself.

"Lady princess, are you alright?" Kai asked

"Julia sleeps with me when the weather gets like this." she said, her face looking like she was going to cry.

"Lady princess —"

"Kai please."

After a moment of hesitation, Kai sighed outwardly.

He climbed into the bed and laid beside her. Then she suddenly laid her head on his chest and threw her arms over his stomach. Perfect. Kai thought.

Then there was a loud thunder. She whimpered and pulled in closer to him. He then stroked her hair. When she calmed down, he placed his hand over her to make her feel safe.

"Kai?" She said

"Yes lady princess?"

"Can you call me Katherine, or Kat from now on? When we're alone."

Kai considered this for a moment.
"Alright...Katherine." he said. He felt her smile against his chest.

Kai. Kai. Kai
Kai opened his eyes to find the beautiful eyes of Katherine peering into his. She was leaning over his face, a strand of her hair grazing his cheeks as the sunlight poured over her now lucid features.

"Kai. Who's Mara?"

____________________________________
———————————————————————————

Sorry the chapter was so long lol

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

585K 21.2K 54
Scarlett has always been a mystery in the world of Lux, where supernaturals live in uneasy alliances and in kingdoms. The fae with fae, werewolves...
1.7K 224 22
The Blood King was the most powerful and dangerous King the kingdom of Thesonia has ever seen. He took no prisoners and destroyed anyone or anything...
411 169 43
Kai, an assassin, leaves his home and turns away from murder. In an attempt to start life anew, he travels across the sea, to a place called Ath. He...
1.4K 173 24
Hughell is a fighter. Who he fights - what he fights for - doesn't matter. The pounding of his heart and the rush of adrenaline are what the kitchen...