Surviving | Attack on Titan |...

By silverserein

| Reader x Levi | Attack on Titan AU | Modern | "A thanks would be appreciated, after all I'm the reason bot... More

Chapter One: Welcome to Los Angeles
Chapter Two: Supplies
Chapter Three: Alone
Chapter Four: Just An Animal
Chapter Five: More Survivors
Chapter Six: Arguing
Chapter Seven: Flashback
Chapter Eight: 'Rotten Potatoes'
Chapter Nine: Abandoned Gas Station
Chapter Ten: How They Turn
Chapter Eleven: Idaho
Chapter Twelve: Out Of Gas
Chapter Thirteen: Mall
Chapter Fourteen: Concert
Chapter Fifteen: Annoyed
Chapter Sixteen: Eren!
Chapter Seventeen: The Basement
Chapter Eighteen: Locking Her Up
Chapter Nineteen: Cuddling
Chapter Twenty: Clothes Shopping
Chapter Twenty-One: Midnight Snacks
Chapter Twenty-Two: Party
Chapter Twenty-Three: Strangers
Chapter Twenty-Four: Nile Dok
Chapter Twenty-Five: Kenny
Chapter Twenty-Six: I Have a Plan
Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Plan
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Christa's Story
Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Escape (Part One)
Chapter Thirty: The Escape (Part Two)
Chapter Thirty-One: The Scouts
Chapter Thirty-Two: New Discoveries
Chapter Thirty-Three: Tests
Chapter Thirty-Four: *Special*
Chapter Thirty-Five: A Date?
Chapter Thirty-Six: I Love You
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Candidate Zero
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Candidate One
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Cure Darts
Epilogue
Author's Note
Alternate Ending
Vote!
Please follow and support!

Chapter Forty: The Curing

4K 188 185
By silverserein

[Name]'s eyes stared worriedly over at Marco, who was sitting in the middle of the back of the truck, rocking back and forth slightly. No long after they had gotten out of the mall with their supplies and loaded up into the trucks, Marco's memories came back. A few details and images at first, then suddenly all at once. It was terrible. Marco felt terrible. 

        "There was a group," Marco whispers. Jean was sitting right next to him, trying his best to comfort him, but couldn't. The only person who could really understand Marco is Tyler, who is still back at base getting over his memories as a zombie. 

        "There were three of them," Marco continued, "two girls and one guy. They looked like siblings." Marco stopped and buried his face into his arms that were crossed over his knees. 

        "I killed one of the sisters," he says after a full minute of silence, "I just.. ate her until she was completely gone and nothing but a few pieces of flesh and bones. She could've been cured like me." The last sentence was just below a whisper, but everyone still heard it. 

        "Almost there," Hanji informs from the front of the truck. Nobody says anything back. They should be celebrating Marco's return, but the mood was quickly put to rest once his memories came back. 

        The rest of the ride to base was silent except from quiet sniffling noises coming from Marco. As the trucks pulled up to the gate Marco wiped his eyes and sat up. "This is the base you were talking about?" He asks Jean. Jean nods, not saying anything. Erwin gets out of the truck and punches in a code for the gate then hurries back in and drives in. 

        Everyone piles out of the truck, Hanji hurries into the large building to start working on the cure to make it airborne. After all, there are only two days left until the Military Police go on a killing spree. Marco's eyes scan over the building, surprised at how big it is. 

        "C'mon," [Name] says, giving a slight tug on Marco's arm. Marco looks away and nods, following her into the building. 

        "This place is big," Marco notes. [Name] nods.

        "You get used to it.. kind of," she adds. 

        "So what happened to you guys, you know, after those people busted in?" Marco questions once [Name] hands him some fresh clothes. 

        [Name] sighs, not really fond of looking back at the past. "Well, they were apart of this organization called the Military Police, or MP for short I guess." Marco walks into the bathroom, leaving the door cracked open so he could still hear [Name]. As he cleans himself and changes, she continues with the story.

        "They basically kidnapped us and used us for slaves," [Name] informs, "it sucked. A lot. We were trapped in there for almost a month, until Erwin, Hanji, and Eld got us out after our horribly planned escape. It probably would have worked if Eren didn't knock over a really heavy shelf." 

       Marco laughs lightly and steps out of the bathroom, refreshed. "I could actually imagine that."

        "Yeah well, while we were being chased by MP's with armed guns Jean and Eren kept arguing about whose fault it was," [Name] adds, shaking her head. 

        "Once we arrived here we found out Hanji was trying her best to work on a cure," [Name] continues. 

        "I'm guessing she figured it out?" Marco assumes. 

        She shakes her head, "Actually, she didn't get even close until Eren stepped up and did something."

        "What'd he do?" 

        "Eren was bite, well still is bit, but he has had it since before we met him, before we met you," she explains. Marco's face twists in confusion. 

        "How is that possible?" He asks.

        [Name] shrugs. "That's what we all though when he found out. So they locked him in a cage-thingy for a week and he still hadn't turned. He is immune to it, the zombie virus or whatever."

        Marco is shocked and surprised. "Wow, that's, great."

        [Name] nods in agreement. "Really great. Hanji was able to use Eren's blood to make a cure and it works, obviously. Now we are trying to make it airborne so we can effect millions at the same time, that's why we were at the mall. We had to get supplies for it."

        Marco barely smiles at her, "Well, I'm glad you did." [Name] gives him a faint smile back and leads him to the kitchen, assuming he might be hungry. She opens the fridge and looks for something -- anything that he might want. Shrugging, [Name] grabs one of Connie's sandwiches and tosses it to Marco.

        [Name] walks over to a stool and sits next to Marco. Marco bites into the sandwich and makes a face. 

        "Is it that bad?" [Name] asks. Marco closes his eyes and swallows. 

        "It's better than human flesh," he mutters, taking another bite. 

        "Was it that terrible?" She asks quietly. Marco swallows and sighs. 

        "It was horrible," he corrects sadly, "I couldn't control myself, my body, or my mind. It was like being trapped in some psychopath's body."

        "Yeah, that's what Tyler said," [Name] sighs. 

        "Tyler?" 

        "He was the first once to be cured," [Name] informs, "do you want to meet him?"

        Marco finishes the sandwich and shakes his head. "No, that's fine. I'm just going to look around a little bit." 

        [Name] watches Marco stand up and walk away. He probably wants to be alone, and she doesn't blame him either. But overall, it's great that he's finally back. 

"So all this stuff is supposed to make it airborne?" Armin asks as Hanji connects two of the metal parts together. 

        "Something like that," Hanji answers, not taking her eyes off the parts. 

        "How does it work?" 

        "Well, basically, I pour the cure into this--" Hanji points at a cone-like object with tubes connecting at the bottom of it"--and it sort of does it's own thing with the help of my awesome scientist abilities, it should work."

        "How long?" Levi asks. 

        "About a day at least. I'm not completely sure. The only other time I've used one of these was in college to make perfume."

        "Why the fuck would  you make perfume with that?"

        Hanji glares at Levi. "I wanted it to smell extra nice. Shut up." Levi rolls his eyes and walks out of the lab, leaving Armin and Hanji to put the machine together. 

* * *

A day pasts until the cure is officially airborne. At seven in the morning, and alarm Hanji set up goes off, waking everyone from their slumber. 

        "What is that?" Connie groans while rubbing his eyes. Everyone is lazily walking towards the sound, half awake. Suddenly an excited non-tired Hanji comes running past them into the lab. Seconds later the loud, annoying, alarm sound is gone. 

        "What the hell was that?" Levi asks Hanji. 

        "An alarm for when the cure would be done," she answers with a grin. Hanji unlocks a box in the machine and opens it, another box-like tube-like thing comes out of it.

        "What is that?" Marco asks. 

        "The cure, airborne though," Hanji answers. 

        "Great, so now we can just unleash it and the world is cured," Jean says. Hanji shakes her head.

        "It'll only be enough for America, possibly parts of Mexico and Canada, and we can't do it here, it has to be somewhere high, really high, like almost touching the clouds high."

        Connie frowns. "I know a place."

        Everyone looks at him. "Really?" [Name] questions. 

        Connie nods and looks at them, "Yeah, but you guys aren't going to like it."

"Be quiet, alert, and ready to shoot," Erwin orders, making eye contact with all twelve people. The only way there would be able to spread the cure in the air is by getting to the roof of the MP base. Connie remembered that there was something on the roof that looked like some science thing when he had to clean stuff up there. 

        So here they are, Hanji, Erwin, Eld, [Name], Levi, Sasha, Connie, Jean, Marco, Mikasa, Eren, Armin, and even Tyler, squatting a few yards away from the MP base. They all had two types of guns. One was a normal gun with regular bullets meant for the MP's, and the other was full of cure darts meant for zombies if there's a situation.

        Overall, they are ready and loaded.

        "Let's go, we have to hurry," Hanji says, slowly walking towards the building, "Armin, Mikasa, and Eren follow me. The rest of you try to hold off anyone who tries to follow or stop us, okay?"

        Everyone agreed silently and watched Erwin and Eld take out the two guards who were guarding the side door. Hanji went in first, then Eren, Mikasa, and Armin. Only seconds later and gun shots were already loud and clear.

        There goes for being sneaky and shit.

        [Name] and Levi headed into the base, everyone else following them. Their footsteps echoed through the open building. Yelling echoed off the walls, as did gun shots. 

        "INTRUDERS! IT'S THE SCOUTS!"

        "This plan is going well," [Name] mutters sarcastically, hiding for cover.

        "Tell me about it," Sasha rolls her eyes and barely looks over the box they are hiding behind and shoots. 

        The others were close, but somewhere else in the building. Jean and Connie are across from [Name] and Sasha and the others are somewhere else out of their sight. 

Hanji and Armin race up the stairs with Eren and Mikasa closely behind them. They had managed to make their way through with the help of Erwin, Tyler, Levi, and Marco who had found them once they were chased by some MP. 

        "We kind of lost the others," Marco informs, "but I'm sure they'll find us soon."

        "How much longer?" Hanji pants looking up at the stairs that seemed to double in size.

        "It's a really long staircase," Eren grunts. 

        "Isn't there like an elevator or something?" Hanji frowns.

        "Nope. Just another staircase as long as this one."

"I fucking hate the MP," Jean snarls once the last one in their way is shot in the leg. Soon they are all running in the direction of the stairs. They all remember where they are, being held hostage in a building, you kind of memorize the layout out of boredom. 

        "There!" Someone shouts, pointing in the group of four's direction. [Name] looks back and see at least ten MPs running after them with loaded guns. 

        "Fucking hell," she swears. 

        "We're almost to the stairs," Sasha encourages. 

        A blonde haired MP shoots at [Name]. Just before the bullet tears a hole through her brain, Sasha pulls her over to her. [Name] breaths out of surprise and looks at Sasha.

        "If we get out of this alive, I am totally making you a potato buffet."

At the side entrance of the building, zombies enter like ants, a never-ending line. Their groans are heard from a group of MPs and they are quickly shot at. But there is too many zombies, and so little ammo. 

        The group is quickly turned and eaten.

With Hanji and Armin running up the stairs and everyone else holding off MPs, the plan seems to be going fine. 

        Well, until a group of zombies come stumbling in.

        "How did they get in?" Connie shouts over the groans and gun shots.

        "I don't know but they're here and hungry!" Eren shoots one in the leg. The MPs that were previously shooting at them are now laying on the floor, dead. 

        "They're getting closer!" Mikasa warns. 

        [Name] glances at Levi, but he was already looking at her. He nods. "Levi and I are going to lead them away, you guys go!" [Name] orders. Sasha looks at her with worried eyes but starts running up the stairs, along with everyone else. 

        Levi turns to the zombies and waves his arms around, "Come here you disgusting fucks!"

Hanji and Armin reach the roof, sweat dripping from their skin and panting like no other. "There," Armin points over at the tall, large machine. Hanji nods and sprints over to it. 

        "Where does this go," she whispers, scanning the machine.

        "Here," Armin says. Hanji hurries over to him and quickly shoves the box-like cure into the molded spot for it. A countdown begins on a blue screen on the machine.

        "Launching starts in ten minutes."

[Name] and Levi are sprinting now. The majority of the herd is following them. Only a small group stayed behind and followed the others. But it's nothing they can't take care of with a couple of darts. 

        "There is a lot of them," [Name] pants, shooting a couple of darts at the herd. Levi copies her actions then curses. 

        "What?" She asks. 

        Levi throws the dart gun to the ground and pulls out his regular gun. "I'm out."

        [Name] looks at her ammo supply of darts. "I'm almost out. I knew I should've grabbed some more!"

        "It's fine. Just shoot them in the legs once you run out," Levi says. They run faster, putting more ground between them and the zombies. 

        "And where do you two think you're going?"

"Did you guys do it?" Marco asks once they reach the top of the stairs. A few zombies stayed behind and followed them, but the majority of them are shot in the legs. 

        "Yeah, but there's a countdown," Armin answers. 

        "Launching starts in seven minutes."

Levi and [Name] stop and stare at the voice who had managed to survive the shoot out and the herd. 

        "Move," Levi demands, his voice low and dark. Kenny looks to the side and shrugs. 

        "I actually like this spot. Don't you guys?" He asks. Annie, Reiner, Bertholdt, and Nile stand near him with guns. 

        "Either you move or we all die," [Name] growls. 

        "On the contrary, actually. These three are immune, like your precious friend Eren," Kenny retorts. 

        "Then you and fuckface will die," Levi remarks. 

        "Not exactly," Kenny starts, "you see---"

        Levi raises his gun and shots a bullet through Kenny's head. The bullet passes through and flies into Nile's, who was standing right behind him. A quiet gasp leave [Name]'s mouth. 

        "I've been wanting to do that for awhile now," Levi growls as blood pours out of their heads.

"More just keep coming," Tyler sighs. 

        "I can't wait until this is over," Sasha groans, shooting more darts.

        "Launching starts in four minutes."

Annie readies her gun and points it at Levi. "They were dead weight anyway," she spits. 

        Annie. [Name] hated her from the beginning. Always the cold, rude, and sassy one. [Name] lost count of how many times she had put a gun her head and threatened to kill her.

        "I never liked you anyways," [Name] says, confusing Annie for a slight second before a bullet is put into her thigh. Annie screams and clutches her hands around the bleeding wound. The herd is closer now. 

        [Name] and Levi run past the group of three into the room they were blocking. [Name] quickly slams the two large doors shut.

        "Come help me with this," Levi grunts, trying to push a dresser in front of the door. [Name] runs over to him and pushes with him. Some grunts and sweat later, the dresser is in front of the door. Gun shots and yells are heard from behind the door, but a soon muted by the sound of flesh breaking and groans. 

        "I am so glad they are dead," [Name] pants, "they had it coming." 

Jean shoots another dart. 

        "Launching starts in two minutes." 

"We're trapped," [Name] realized after glancing around the room. The zombies push into the door, making it band loudly. 

        "Yep," Levi sighs checking his magazine, "that door isn't going to hold long, and I'm out. Again." Leave tosses his gun to the floor and leans his head back on the wall directly across from the door and sit down. [Name] walks over and sits down next to him. 

        "They will cure everyone before then," she tries, but even doubts her own words. More bangs come from the door and the dresser wobbles. 

        Levi opens his eyes and looks at her. "I hope so, but I doubt it. We're probably going to die in here."

        [Name] leans against him and lets out a laugh. "Always so blunt, even at times like this." 

        Levi smiles lightly and wraps his arm around her and rests his head on top of hers. "We'll get turned for a short while, then cured."

        [Name] frowns and shakes her head. "No, there is too many of them. They will eat us before we turn," she says sadly. 

        Levi looks down at his lap and gently rubs circles into [Name]'s shoulder, "I know." [Name]'s eyes close and a few tears leak out. 

        "I don't want to die," she whimpers, "not by those things. I don't want them to have even more regret of killing people." Covered in blood and sadness, [Name] holds out her gun and checks the magazine.

        Two bullets left.

        "No," Levi says immediately. 

        "We're going to die anyway! I'd rather die by this gun than them!"

        "[Name], no."

        "So you want to be torn apart like chicken and die painfully?!" [Name] asks, tears streaming down her face. "This is the only way, Levi. And you know that." 

        "It's still a no," he whispers. [Name] wipes her eyes.

        "Please," she begs, "just please." 

"Launching starts in one minute."

"Fine," Levi chokes out. He really doesn't want to do it, but he really doesn't want to die by those things. He doesn't want to die at all. He doesn't want [Name] to die at all. 

        That dream of having a perfect life once this was all over is shattered now. Like a broken mirror. 

        Levi grabs the gun from [Name]'s possession and cocks it. She snuggles into him, not bothering to hold the tears back anymore. She pulls away from him and looks up. Wrapping two hands around his face, [Name] pulls him into a kiss. Their last kiss.

        Levi pulls the trigger. 

        [Name]'s body goes limp against him. Her lips fall from his and her blood stains his neck. The door budges, and the dresser wobbles. Levi intertwines his hand with [Name]'s limp one.

        Slowly, he looks up at the ceiling and puts the gun to his chin. A single tear escapes from his eye and runs down his face and onto [Name]'s head. 

        He closes his eyes and pulls the trigger.

        At the same exact moment the door and dresser gives away.

        At the same exact moment, the cure is launched into the air.

That is the end. Sorry it was rushed x.x I was having trouble writing this because I was also doing a lot of chores today and had to pause between paragraphs >.< Epilogue will be update soon. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

249 14 10
Betrayal, murder, illness. Whatever the reason, every relationship ended the same way. But even when they know the ending, people still hope. She was...
26.8K 670 44
(this is a zombie apocalypse AU) (I do not own attack on titan or any pictures seen in this) 2 years since the virus struck and humanity fell a drift...
64.4K 1.8K 37
Levi has always been someone you couldn't stand. But when things take unexpected turns, shit gets complicated. --- "Listen," He moved closer and put...
14K 526 23
✦ 𝐌𝐨𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐧 𝐀𝐔 ✦ 𝐋𝐨𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 - 𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞, 𝐖𝐀 ✦ 𝐀𝐠𝐞𝐬 - 𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐲 20s or higher ✦Y/n's lif...