Escaping The Mafia Boss

By iinfinityy_starxoxo

All rights reserved, please do not copy my book. *** Twenty-four year old Katerina's life is turned upside d... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Escaping the Mafia Boss
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Important
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38

Chapter 8

47.8K 1.4K 276
By iinfinityy_starxoxo

Arosio De Luca

Beautiful.

When Katerina stepped into the breakfast room in our family mansion, I felt my cold heart begin to beat rhythmically for the first time in many years. Today is a sad day for my family as it is the day we lost my younger sister, Alana, who died three years ago due to complications after giving birth to Elijah. It is also my mothers 54th birthday but we have not celebrated in three years.

Every year, my tight-knit family would become like strangers on this day. My mother always locked herself up in hers and my fathers bedroom for the whole day while refusing to talk to anyone. I expected the same things to happen today as well but seeing Katerina walk in, dressed in Alana's old mint green dress that my parents had gifted her for her last birthday spent with us, my heart swelled with happiness.

I could feel my father and brothers looking at Katerina in surprise as well. She held the same innocent and sweet angelic aura as our family's princess, making us all look at her in awe. My father even held a ghost of a smile on his usually cold expressionless face. Being the former Italian Mafia boss, my father taught me everything that I know. Killing without a trace of hesitation and being heartless are things that I inherited from him after all.

Katerina stared at us in confusion before taking her seat beside Elijah on my side. My gaze inadvertently drifted to her beautiful fiery hair that she had braided into two and kept hidden behind her. I felt like reaching out and setting her hair free but refrained from doing so.

"Let's begin," Father stated as everyone began to eat. Katerina's eyes lingered on the empty seat beside her and I could see questions forming in her cerulean blue eyes. But I didn't want her to bring it up so I asked her a question to distract her.

"Where did you get that dress, cucciola?" I questioned while my family looked towards her as well.

"Erhm...the things you bought were too expensive...so I asked Helena to help me find something else to wear... you can return those other things, I do not need them," she explained in her soft, timid voice while averting my darkened eyes and continuing to eat her food. My blood began to boil at the thought of her rejecting my gifts but I swallowed down my anger.

'My little bunny is the rebellious type but don't worry, I have been keeping track of everything. Soon, I will punish you in our bed and make you beg for forgiveness, tesoro' I thought to myself as a sinister smile made its way onto my face.

"Vorrei che la mamma potesse vederla indossare l'abito della sorella," Adriano suddenly broke through the silence and his words made father stop eating. (I wish mom could see her wearing sister's dress)

The room seemed to stiffen again as I clenched my jaw and looked away. A few moments of silence passed before Katerina's angelic voice cut through the tension.

"Um Helena had mentioned that uh...mama?...would not be here for breakfast. Is she alright? Is she feeling ill?" she questioned carefully while placing more eggs onto Elijah's plate. He thanked her, making her ruffle his soft black curls and smile at him. I noticed her hesitation when trying to find the right word to address mother by and smirked when she chose mama.

Though, the air seemed to stiffen even more as all four of us fell silent and stopped eating. I could feel Katerina silently cursed herself for making things even more awkward before I reached towards her and gently took her frail hand into my own under the table.

"She is alright. Today is her birthday," I tried to keep my voice strong and was about to continue when she suddenly yanked her hand away from mine and clapped her hands in excitement.

"That's great! We should be celebrating! Oh wait, I don't have a present to give her," she pouted her sweet plump lips before she looked up at the four of us and finally noticed the grief on our faces.

"What's wrong?" she whispered while tilting her head to the side and looking straight at me but I couldn't bring myself to answer her so I looked away from her curious gaze.

Adriano had his fist clenched around his fork and I could tell that he was about to lose his patience. He was the closest to Alana since she was born exactly one year after him and although he is the calmest one among us, he tends to go completely insane once his buttons have been pushed past limit. Meanwhile Alanzo was looking out the window in a daze and I could tell he was thinking of his big sister as well. Father was the one who let out a sigh and began to speak to Katerina, although his voice was distant and filled with grief as well.

"Today is my wife's birthday but it is also the day that we lost our precious daughter, Alana. During childbirth, Alana lost a lot of blood and was taken into emergency surgery before she fell into a coma. Two weeks later, she took her last breath which happens to be exactly three years ago today. My wife has not celebrated her birthday in three years, instead she chooses to lock herself in our bedroom for the whole day and does not speak to anyone for the whole day," father explained in a helpless and tired voice as a silent gasp escaped her and tears brimmed her wide eyes. I wanted to reach across and pull her onto my lap right away.

"Lana was a passionate baker. She would always bake mom's birthday cakes with a new design every year. Ever since she passed away, mom stopped--" Adriano trailed off and dropped his fork onto the table before excusing himself. Alanzo soon followed him out as well with tears brimming his eyes.

We may run the most coldblooded Italian Mafia but family means everything to us. Everything that we do is to ensure our family and Mafia member's safety. Father and mother fought hard to protect their four children from danger and Alana was the only princess in our family. Losing her was a huge blow for all of us.

"I'm so sorry," Katerina whispered through tears as father shook his head towards her with a gentle look before leaving as well.

She looked down at her lap and noticed that Elijah had climbed onto it at some point and buried his small head into the side of her neck for comfort. Wrapping her arms around him tightly, she let more tears flow down her face.

My heart clenched at the sight of her crying. She was just too innocent and sweet for her own good. This is my family's pain, why is she trying to share our grief? Truly, she takes my breath away. She's nothing like that repulsive Dale family and far from her selfish twin sister.

"Don't blame yourself. You did nothing wrong, tesoro. I have work to do but I will be back before dinner. Call me with the house phone if you need anything," my clear voice rang through the silent breakfast room before I placed a gentle kiss on her forehead and on top of Elijah's head. She seemed too caught up in her own feelings, making me smirk since I know that she would have pushed me away otherwise.

****

"Do not worry madam, I am sure the painting is in the living room," Clarence stated as we hurried towards the main living room.

"It better fucking be or else I won't hesitate to kill you," I threatened him and sent him a murderous glare.

I just returned home from signing a deal with the Canadian Mafia and was already wanting to split my fucking head open. That son of a bitch, Slate Moretti, is the most hardheaded bastard that I have ever met. He knew what day today was for my family since our fathers have been good friends for many years.

But still, that heartless asshole made me visit his Bairut hotel in the heart of Los Angeles to sign a deal. There were many times when I almost pulled out my gun and wanted to blow his brains out but then one of my men informed me that he was just having a bad week. Apparently, his pregnant wife betrayed him and ran off without telling him where she was heading to.

But I couldn't care less, as the head of the Mafia you need to learn how to separate work from your private life. I left that hotel still feeling annoyed and returned home only to find everyone going crazy because Alana's portrait was missing. My mother would hug her portrait and cry herself to sleep every day on Alana's death anniversary and I made sure to instruct the maid to bring the portrait to my mother this morning. How the fuck did they lose it?

"Si, mama. Don't worry," Alanzo and Adriano assured her as well but she silently followed us while looking lost. Father trailed behind her and it was one of the only times that I have ever seen my powerful father look so helpless.

"What the-- Why is it dark? What is going--" I roared angrily and almost took my gun out from my back pocket. Though we have heavy security surrounding my childhood mansion so I doubt anyone was able to make it inside here.

Suddenly, the lights switched on and I heard Elijah and Katerina's voice scream as confetti poppers were aimed at mother.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAMA/ GRANDMA" Elijah and Katerina exclaimed in sync while the rest of us stared at her in shock. Both her and Elijah were covered in flour and icing while Alana's portrait faced us on the sofa and there was a beautiful birthday cake on the glass table. There were balloons and roses decorated everywhere as well.

My sweet angel.

Katerina didn't know this but the reason we were so shocked wasn't only because of the celebration that she prepared with Elijah. It was also the fact that she was dressed in Alana's mint green birthday dress that complimented her beautiful green eyes and she was covered in icing and cake flour. This is exactly how Alana had last greeted my mom during the last birthday she was alive for. She was dressed in that same mint green dress and was covered in flour and icing as well.

Each of us continued to stare at her in pure shock as our mouths fell open and eyes almost popped off our faces. Father kept looking between the portrait and the cake before blinking several times. Adriano and Alanzo were looking at Elijah and Katerina in wonder and I could see Alanzo's eyes tear up a little while Adrianos fists were clenched at his side. Her beautiful light green eyes unconsciously traveled to mine and I gazed at her with unidentifiable emotions.

Finally, her innocent gaze snapped to mother whose eyes were widened in shock as she began to take a few steps towards Elijah and Katerina as if she was in a trance. Her eyes never left Katerina's eyes, she was surely seeing traces of her daughter in Katerina. Although Katerina looked nothing like my sister, even the shade of green in their eyes differed, but the same innocent and pure aura surrounded her.

"We are really sorry for doing this without your permission, mama," Katerina started as she gave mother a small smile who froze in her steps towards them.

"Yes, really sorry, grandma" Elijah chimed in as Katerina looked down at him and seemed to only notice then that they were both covered in cake flour and icing. She giggled nervously while wiping the cream off of Elijah's cheek before turning towards mother again.

"I know that I have no right to speak and act in such a way regarding this matter. Please forgive me for such brazen actions. I have never met Alana but I can already tell how much of a happy and beautiful young woman she must have been. She had such a caring mother like you after all and she gave birth to my precious little prince," Katerina started again in a small hesitant voice before she looked towards all of us with slight fear. We were still in shock and mother still stood frozen a few steps away from the glass table that held the birthday cake so Katerina decided to continue speaking.

Taking the lighter, she carefully lit each of the birthday candles before gently placing the cake near where mother stood. Turning around, she took Alana's portrait from the sofa and brought it toward the glass table. Elijah and her stood beside the cake in front of mother while Katerina held Alana's portrait up.

"Please stop punishing yourself, mama. There was a reason why Alana would wake up every morning on your birthday and pour all of her efforts into baking the best cake for you. She loved you so much that she never wanted to have you blow out candles on the same cake design so she made sure to make something new every year. How do you think Alana would feel from up above in Heaven, when she looks down and sees her beautiful mom crying on her birthday for three years and refusing to blow out her birthday candles?" her soft voice pierced through the silence as all of us stared at her in astonishment and I couldn't help but gaze at her with pride swirling in my eyes.

My sweet angel.

"But...without my baby Alana...I just can't," mother's grief stricken voice stated through tears as everyone looked at her in shock for having finally spoken. Usually, she would not speak on this day at all but Katerina was able to get her to speak. Something that even my father did not manage to do for three years.

"Who said Alana is not here?" Katerina questioned softly and moved closer towards mother with Alana's portrait. All of our brows furrowed in confusion until we saw her hand reach towards mother's hand and gently place it on Alana's face in the portrait.

"Your Alana is right here but most importantly, she is in here," she smiled at mother before placing mother's hand above her chest where mother's heart is. Mother's eyes widened in realization and slowly lifted up to meet Katerina's smiling eyes. She let go of mother's hand and stepped towards Elijah.

"And, above all, your Alana is over here. She may have left Earth three years ago but she left a very important piece of her heart behind for you to celebrate every year with in her stead," Katerina smiled encouragingly at Elijah who ran forward and tightly hugged his grandma around her legs.

"Don't cry, grandma. I promise to bake a cake for your birthday every year just like mommy did! Will you be happy from now on, please?" Elijah beamed up at mother with his bright emerald eyes shining.

My eyes shun with pride as I watched my son and wife help my mother. This kind of kindhearted pureness was something that the cold men of the De Luca family were not able to show our mother before. Yet, it was the exact thing that mother needed in order to help her grieve Alana's death.

A few moments of silence went by until mother slowly nodded her head through more tears before she bent down and held Elijah in a tight embrace. I could feel my family and I let out a sigh of relief and smile towards mother.

However, my intense gaze instantly traveled to the young woman standing beside mother. I don't know what I did to become lucky enough to have met such a sweet woman but there is no way in hell that I will ever let her go. Seeing everything she has done for my family, my determination to make her my real wife and stay by her side forever has increased tenfold. The corners of my lips twitched when I saw her cheeks flush red as I continued to gaze at her.

"Thank you, my sweet boy. Thank you," mother whispered while wiping her tears away and laying kisses all over a giggling Elijah's face.

"Of course! Don't worry, mommy and I will bake your cake every year. Right, mommy?" Elijah exclaimed excitedly and looked towards Katerina expectantly. Mother looked up at her as well and I could see Katerina struggling to come up with an answer before she smiled at mother reassuringly.

"That's right! Now let's cut the cake before the candles go out," she quickly changed the subject and placed the portrait onto the table.

'Ah, remember this day forever, tesoro. Today you made your second promise to my family. The first was to always cherish us and the second is to bake mother's cake with Elijah every year. I will definitely hold you to this promise, my sweet angel' I silently thought to myself with a smirk as I watched her bring the cake in front of mother and glare at the rest of us who remained further away from them. We instantly shuffled towards them and began to sing.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Eliana/mama/grandma, happy birthday to you" we all sang happily as mother stared at us and began to cry again.

Katerina balanced the cake on one hand before reaching her other hand out to gently wipe mother's tears away. I could see the rest of my family look at her with a loving gaze, making my heart swell with pride. I can't wait to make her an official member of our family.

"First bite is for my precious grandson," mother spoke with a gentle smile as she bent down to feed Elijah who had his mouth wide open.

"Yummy!" the little boy giggled cheerfully and happily ate his small piece of cake.

"The next bite is for..." mother stated and I saw Katerina turn around to move the portrait away from the cake.

"my precious daughter," mother stated, taking all of us by surprise. After Alana died, mother wanted to treat Isabella as her daughter but Isabella was just too selfish and did not care for anything to do with our family. She ignored mother's attempts to bond with her and instead chose to go out partying and sleeping with half of the entertainment industry in Los Angeles.

However, I am glad that mother finally has a daughter who will cherish her and treat her warmly. I chuckled when Katerina turned around shock before opening her mouth to accept the piece of cake.

"Thank you, my sweet daughter. Thanks to you, I am able to move forward and not sadden my daughter who is watching over us from heaven," mother gently stated as tears began to fall down Katerina's eyes. We looked at her surprised as we could clearly see the emotions swirling in her clear green eyes.

Another reason why it was easy to catch onto the fact that she was not Isabella is because she is a horrible liar. Her innocent face reveals everything that she's feeling. Right now, it was quite obvious to see the sadness and longing in her heavy gaze.

"You're welcome," she gave us a bright smile and stepped away from mother so that the others could be fed the cake as well. However my eyes remained focused on my little bunny who had moved towards the sofas.

While staring at her angelic face, I seemed to have lost track of time. When I looked around the room, everyone was frozen in shock as father's face was smeared with cake and mother was laughing at him. Katerina's sweet laughter joined her as well, making me fall into another trance.

"Don't do that! Mommy and I spent hours baking it for grandma!" Elijah pouted and folded his arms in annoyance when father took cake and smeared it all over mother's face. A look of guilt spread across our faces which soon turned into confusion when we saw Katerina laugh and spread her own cake over Elijah's face.

"My little prince, the point of a cake is to bring happiness and people together. Whether that is done by putting the cake in your mouth...or on your mouth, doesn't matter!" she giggled aloud and managed to take my breath away again with her kindness.

"You're right, mommy!" Elijah cheered before taking some cake and throwing it towards his uncles faces. My brothers immediately began to chase him with their hands full of cake while father pulled a surprised mother into his arms.

I couldn't hold myself back anymore. With quick strides, I landed in front of Katerina who was looking at me with a mischievous glint in her beautiful eyes. She was about to spread the cake all over my face but her hand froze an inch away from my face.

My dark eyes bore into hers and I tried to show every bit of emotion that I could. The affection, love and appreciation I felt for her. I want her to see it and feel it for me as well. I want her to stay and be with us forever. It seemed to frighten her since she took a step back but this time, I won't let her escape. My arms wrapped around her waist tightly before I smashed my lips against hers in a hungry, demanding kiss. Her lips tasted so sweet and addicting, I knew that I would never be able to forget it.

"Delicious," I stated with a low husky voice, making her cheeks instantly flare up as she shuffled away from me and refused to meet my eyes.

"Isn't it tasty, daddy? Mommy and I spent a lot of time on it!" Elijah exclaimed as her shocked eyes snapped towards him and the rest of our family who had been watching us with teasing smiles.

"I don't think your daddy was talking about the cake, little Eli," Alanzo teased as Katerina looked away from them in pure embarrassment and looked towards me, silently begging me to deny that claim.

I simply smirked at her before licking my lips with my darkened gaze lingering on her alluring lips before finally replying.

"I tasted something much sweeter than the cake," my deep voice rang in her ears as her sweet mouth fell open in shock before she ran across the room to my parents, and swiftly escaped the room with my son, making me release a dark chuckle.

"Figlio, non ti conosco ma da oggi in poi è nostra figlia. Trattala bene, capito?" father's voice stopped me as I was about to leave to freshen up before dinner. (Son, I don't know about you but from today onwards, she is our daughter. Treat her well, understood?)

I turned towards him in surprise and noticed mother and my brothers nodding along with him. A slow smirk made its way onto my lips as I nodded my head.

"Don't worry, I will make her a member of this family no matter what" I stated confidently before exiting the living room.

******

Hello lovely readers,

I hope you enjoyed this update.

PLEASE READ, COMMENT AND VOTE!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.5M 245K 100
Emilia and Lexi were twins but they couldn't be more oppersite if they tried. Emilia was selective mute, she was taught not to speak unless spoken to...
7.5K 519 48
NB: Previously titled, the Mafia's Fallen Angel. Now titled, Mafia Heiress✔️ "A female can never be a heir to anything. Useless trash" he says in our...
2.1M 55.2K 39
Arianna Rossi, was no stranger to violence. After all she was the daughter of the mighty Lorenzo Rossi, head of the Southern Italian Mafia. Her dad h...
89.2K 2.6K 55
What if your family expects you to get an heir for the family's empire and you make the wrong choices when it comes to women? You abduct a child, rig...