make you stay (g.d.)

By shinydols

(SEQUEL to "flight-risk") "what do i have to do to make you stay?" elizabeth and grayson part their ways in... More

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
forty-one
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
forty-five
forty-six
forty-seven
forty-eight
forty-nine
fifty
fifty-one
fifty-two
fifty-three
fifty-four
fifty-five
fifty-six

thirty-five

1K 43 4
By shinydols

elizabeth:

keeping my promise, i show up at the studio through the back door at 5 am sharp. i took the day off from the cafe, and roy seemed to be in good mood, so he gave me until monday off. sometimes he can be nice.

i smile at the still goopy paint from the previous day, and internally thank max for his genius ways. i stare at the canvas and begin to work immediately.

while i wait for different sections of the canvas to dry, i debate texting grayson. but i always decide against it, because i want him to see the piece, and immediately be okay again. i want him to be proud of me.

max joins me a little after 11 am and compliments my tedious work. "i've never seen so many styles mixed together in one painting before."

i laugh. "shut up, it's not that contradicting."

"you got some abstract, some realism, and texture. that's grand. i love it."

i sigh, blowing a strand of hair out of my face. "i just have to crank out these last hours. i haven't even began on the background."

"is that where you're adding the most texture?" he asks.

i nod. "yes, and it's going to take forever to dry."

"elizabeth?"

"yeah?"

"i remember the story of how you met grayson, and i have an idea to add in the background."

i widen my eyes. "okay, what is it?"

he whispers it to me with a smile, and i grin back.
"that's perfect," i say. "just what this piece is missing."

he leaves me alone to work on the piece, and i smile at the realism i just finished. so much detail goes into it, and it took me the whole morning.

i work for another hour or so, then get artist block and take my lunch break with max. we eat turkey sandwiches, and in the middle of it, i get a text.

unknown: hey. it's ethan. grayson is pretty upset, and i just wanted to know what's going on. he won't tell me much.

i reply back immediately:

me: ethan! it's so good to hear from you. he's upset, but don't tell him what i'm about to tell you.

ethan: ...?

me: i made him something, and i've been working on it for hours. i promise that's all i've been doing, and i'm waiting to call him until i'm finished, so it can be a big surprise.

ethan: that's great, but i don't know how to convince him of that. he thinks you're going behind his back and stuff.

me: i would never.

ethan: good luck telling him that.

"something wrong?" max asks with his eyebrows furrowed.

"more boyfriend stuff," i shrug, taking a bit of a pickle. "but i love him, and this is going to make it all okay."

it weirds me out he easily the word love can roll off my tongue nowadays.

i stand up and throw my paper plate away. rubbing my hands together, i make a mental timeline of my next steps.

"i'm just going to push through until the morning. i'll definitely have it done by around 2 or 3."

max grins. "easy there, artists have to sleep too."

"never!" i sing as i slip happily back to the backroom.

everything is right as i left it, and i immediately get to work.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.4K 1.7K 45
sequel to "why do you bully me?" Check it out. Katherine is living in LA with her boyfriend and two bestfriends. she faces new adventures with her b...
1M 19K 190
"You're mine now." ©Ethanscupido This is my original idea please don't steal!⚠️
872 32 21
In which a girl falls in love with a guy who forgets and leaves with a message of his own.
383K 8.7K 94
Confusion. ©Ethanscupido This is my original idea please don't steal!⚠️