HERO

By ShaunAllan

**WATTY 2021 SHORLIST!** What's your superpower? Everyone has one right? That's why the world is falling apar... More

1 / Choices
2 / Spotting
3 / The Argument
4 / Flight
5 / I Do Solemnly Swear
6 / Secrets and Revelations
7 / We All Fall Down
8 / Sins of the Father
9 / Betrayal
10 / The Smile and the Agony
11 / Billy
12 / Detention and Decisions
13 / Lightning In A Bottle
14 / Screwed
15 / Class Dismissed
16 / Scanning
17 / Honesty
18 / Being Yourself
19 / The Truth Will Out
20 / A Chameleon Changes
21 / A Walled Garden
22 / Children
23 / The Way It's Meant To Be
24 / Decision Made
25 / Discovery
26 / Epiphany
27 / The Doctor
28 / Realisation
29 / Puppy Power
30 / The Park
31 / Spotters
33 / To Dream a Dream
34 / Shopper's Delight
35 / Arrival
36 / Home
37 / A Last Supper
38 / Game On!
39 / It's Showtime
40 / RUN!
41 / Lines
42 / The Mark
43 / The Face in the Sky
44 / We Meet Again
45 / The Watch
46 / Mirror Mirror
47 / Wigwams
48 / Unwelcome Visitors
49 / The Mirror Cracked
50 / Now You See Me
51 / She's Back!
52 / Fading
53 / Up
54 / We'll Rise Up
55 / Droning On
56 / Revelations
57 / The Office
58 / Negotiations
59 / A Little Blood
60 / Age is Just a Number
61 / Save Him
62 / The Reset

32 / Captive

206 33 9
By ShaunAllan

A person's presence can make you feel whole when you weren't aware that you had a piece missing.

You can travel through life with people coming and going, and not see that, somewhere inside of you, there's a gap. Not necessarily a void, though that's not to say it can't sometimes be, but an emptiness. One where, when you meet a certain individual, it's filled, making you feel complete. That person's influence on your life can be monumental, but it can also be slight, yet them being there can make a mountain of difference.

They don't need to try or be aware of the effect they have. Nor do you. It may only be noticed when they're once more not there. When their presence becomes an absence.

Then you feel it.

Thomas had only just met Bren, and he wasn't fully convinced she could be fully trusted. He acknowledged he was following her and had falling in line with her thinking and objectives, but there was still an edge of the unknown, not least exacerbated by her growing powers. She'd gone from mixing telekinesis with her morphing abilities, but now she had changed into... what? Was it an enhancement of Dumas's Savage power? She'd not only grown claws and increased her bulk, but she had become something else entirely! An amalgamation of a multitude of animals that had no business being merged together. When would it end?

Would it end?

Even so, Thomas still felt closer to her than he had to anyone other than his mother. He realised it when she vanished, leaving the force field that was meant to contain her empty. He felt the hole in his whole open and was in danger of falling into it. She'd protected him. Put her own life on the line for his benefit. Certainly, it was for her too, but she could easily have gone her own way. Thomas and his lack of power would be a hindrance. She'd be faster on her own without having to worry about a boy who was almost completely unable to defend himself or aid her in defending them both.

Yet, still she stayed. Still she faced the Spotters, pushing him out of the way to try and ensure he wouldn't be hurt. She had left, but what else could she do? He would have done the same, except he wouldn't have survived long enough to do so.

"Now then, laddie. I assume you'll come quietly?"

Thomas spun around and backed away, skittering across the ground, but the tree's stump halted his escape. David was standing in front of him. His team was still laying where they'd fallen, but their leader was unhurt.

"Fuck you," Thomas said.

It was the best he could come up with. A profanity he would never normally say, but that could be forgive considering the provocation. Besides, saying it was something of a tribute to Bren. She hadn't abandoned him, she'd been driven away. She'd done what she could but had to admit defeat. For that, she deserved to be acknowledged.

"Oh, don't be like that, son," David said. "I'm here to offer you the opportunity of a lifetime!"

"What opportunity? To die?"

"Now, that's what I like. Your cheery, optimistic disposition."

"Fuck..."

"Me. Yes, fuck me. You mentioned that. Look, you get to stay alive. Be a celebrity. Have thousands, if not millions, singing your praised and cheering you on."

"And then I die."

"Well, yes. Sure you do, but at least you get to have fun in the process."

"Fuc..."

The word wasn't finished. David smashed the butt of his gun against the side of Thomas's head. The boy slumped back over the stump.

"I just don't get these kids," David said quietly. "They're never up for a laugh."

"Is death funny?" the newcomer asked.

She was tall and slim and wore a long blue dress, completely unlike the rest of the Spotters. David looked at her, but didn't comment on her attire. He was used to her following the rules only as far as she needed to.

"Lacey, I find it hilarious."

He turned and started to walk back to the park's entrance, pulling out a small radio.

"Clean up in People's Park. I'll need a new team, too."

"Not again? You really need to look after them better."

"Well, we got a little carried away."

"Did you get the asset?"

"Got him."

"And the girl?"

"She got away, unfortunately."

"You're slipping."

"I can assure you, I'm not. She was different, though."

"Different how?"

"I'm not sure, but we should keep an eye out. She's strong."

"Confirmed. Bring the boy in."

"On our way."

David heard Thomas fighting back and his shouts go suddenly quiet as the field enclosed him. He smiled to himself. It was a shame about Dumas. He liked her and she was a good Spotter. One of the best. Few could get past her, no matter how crazy they'd turned. That this girl had bested his entire squad was a shock, but he was used to dealing with shocks. He enjoyed them. They made the day days go faster.

Thomas had been allowed to remain free for far too long. His capture was overdue and it was satisfying to finally have the boy in custody. By the morning, he'd be set free as the latest contestant of The Spot. It struck David as frustrating that they had to apprehend Nomads twice. Once to get them onto the show and then again as contestants.

He knew the first run around the block was to get them off the streets. Keep the natives happy. The second was to let those same natives see that they were safe, which made them happier still. It was one thing to know someone who was likely to be a danger and could kill innumerable innocent people had been removed. It was entirely another to see them pay for the crimes they, often, had yet to commit.

But safe was safe. Safe was sunny side up, showing your happy glow to the world, content in the knowledge that you'd see another day. David got no satisfaction from giving that to people. It was a job. One he revelled in, but still a job. The next day, he'd suit up for the cameras and would give, as he always did, the show of his life.

He didn't hold out much hope for the boy. Instead, he felt sorry for him. At ten, it was odd that his powers had yet to exhibit themselves, and his father's influence helped keep him out of David and his cohorts clutches. But, now, the call had been made. The walls had dropped and the bird was free of its cage.

Well, it had been free, for a short time. Now, it was quite nicely right where it belonged.

As he walked, he felt a shift in the air. He didn't need to turn to see the figure who'd been hovering above the far corner of the park.

"Hey Lenny," David said. "Thanks for the nod."

"David," replied Leonard, curtly.

He hated his name being abbreviated, but he knew David was not the sort of man to be brought up on such things. He wasn't known for his levity, for all his affirmation that he enjoyed a joke. The Spotter did, but only when it was he who was having the fun. How it affected anyone else was incidental.

"Usual fee?"

"Please."

David put his radio to his mouth and pressed the button. It crackled with static and he waved his hand to motion Leonard to move away, which the man did. One he was a few feet further off, the static cleared.

"Do the usual drop for Leonard, please."

"Confirmed, Sir."

"There you go, all sorted," he said but, when he looked, the Floater was gone. David sighed. Leonard should know not to be so rude with him. It didn't bode well for future transactions.

Exiting the park, he snapped his fingers. The band of friends who'd been watching Thomas and Bren broke from their trance as the arm of one of them burst into flames. He screamed and the others piled on him, desperately trying to extinguish the flames. He climbed into the back seat of the waiting car.

"You could have asked me to release them, Sir," said the driver.

"I know, Penny, butwhere would the fun be in that?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.1K 2.9K 67
When his boyfriend's ex-fiancé returns from the dead to break them up, Léon will have to face a dead land, an evil scientist, and his unstable powers...
1K 71 45
╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗ ღ " upon magical powers comes the strength to save the world " ღ " When Magical Powers were only told in...
189K 12.7K 41
***FINISHED! AND FULLY UPLOADED*** "Your friend was right," the villain says, tilting her chin towards the moon. My mouth's on autopilot now as I men...
8.5K 370 13
This book has been moved to a second and better version of it here: https://www.wattpad.com/story/252972492-site-redacted This Site contains anomali...