Penny For An Italian Thought

By Kiara_9

23 year old Brianna has worked for Burke Industries for 2 years. In that course of time, she unknowingly does... More

Prologue
Part 2: I Don't Kiss And Tell
Part 3: Lingering Mind
Part 4: Wilderment
Part 5: Winged Thief
Part 6: Decisions And Strategies
Part 7: Ray Of Sunshine
Part 8: For His Sanity And Mine
Part 9: Drunken Haste
Part 10: A Cocktail Of Lies
Part 11: Starting Over
Part 12: All Play And No Work
Part 13: The Date
Part 14: Not Moving In
Author's Note
Part 15: The Deal
Part 16: Secret With A Price
Part 17: Love Is A Four Letter Word
Part 18: Running Towards The Pole
Part 19: Surfacing Secrets
Part 20: When Hearts Rule Over Minds
Part 21: Savior Fallen From Grace
Part 22: Treading The Thin Line
Part 23: Unwrapped
Part 24: Know Where Your Heart Belongs
Part 25: The Wonder That Is Technology
Part 26: Read Into The Lines
Part 27: The Melody That He Is
Part 28: The Story Of Hate And Love
Author's Note
Do you want an Epilogue?
Epilogue It Is!
Release Date
Epilogue
Did you enjoy the story?

Part 1: Something About Blue Eyes

85.1K 1.9K 151
By Kiara_9

This story is undergoing editing as it is soon to be published. It may have typos as it is unedited. I shall edit soon and keep it on Wattpad until I publish it, after which you can read it after paying a very affordable amount. Thank you fabulous readers! ☺

Brianna's POV

*Board meeting at 9:00 am.*

I sighed. Another board meeting. Was it necessary? Absolutely. Burke Hotels and Construction was going down a steep slope and was looking at a hostile takeover. Well, it would be hostile only if the board members stopped being stubborn. They were going to come to a decision in the board meeting.

I closed the e-mail conversation and went ahead to check the next e-mail. It was my friend and colleague, Chloe.

*Business lunch at 2:30 pm.

Restaurant: Italia*

Great. There went my lunch date with my best friend, David. He always said, "Bree, you work too much for a job you don't like. Let your hair down sometimes and follow your passion."

We had been roommates since college. Although, we'd been best friends for way too long before that. He was going to keep whining about me canceling our lunch together and never let me hear the end of it.

He was right though. The job had done nothing but hold me back. I had studied business in Harvard. I wanted to run my own line of businesses and not just be an assistant. I had turned my internship into a job I'd never wanted. It gave me money, sure, but it didn't do anything for me. My resignation for the job was long overdue and maybe the takeover was my cue to start a business venture. David was right and I owed it to myself.

The resignation letter wrote itself. It wasn't a hard thing to do because I had it ready in my mind for a year. Yes, I wasn't kidding when I said long overdue. I took a printout and placed it in a crisp white envelope. For the first time in a long time, I was eager to go to work.

After spending a good 20 minutes in the shower and singing the choruses of a few songs, I got out and wore a black pencil fit skirt and a white blouse to go with it. Boy, was I in a cheery mood. I'd just washed my hair and to avoid a stubborn frizz, I dried my dark brown hair immediately.

It was 7:30 am, which meant I still had time before the meeting. Just to look presentable enough, I put on some mild make up. I never liked overdoing my appearance at work. Looking at my reflection in the mirror and feeling satisfied with my look, I went on and wore black heels that weren't too high. Being 5 feet seven inches tall, high heels would just make me tower above people, making me uncomfortable.

I made my way to the living room. David wasn't home yet and I checked my phone. There were no texts from him.

Maybe I should call him after breakfast and find out.

I went to the kitchen and took a cereal box from the shelf. A little yellow sticky note stared at me from shelf door. David always left such notes for me. He was just that sticky notes over a text kind of guy.

Hey Bree,
I'm going to be out all night. Ron got engaged so we are going to a club. I didn't want to wake you. So see ya later, babe.
- David

So even he couldn't make it for lunch. Ugh, I hated it when he didn't come home on time. He wasn't my boyfriend, but he was more like a brother. I missed him in the mornings because he just was the best cook and with him partying all night, I was left with the non-tempting choice of a bowl of cereal. But I could always grab a delicious lunch after I hand in my resignation.

Oh, the freedom!

I ate the ever boring cereal and took a cab to work. I was hoping to buy a car when I would get a little time off my busy schedule. It would set me back on the pocket, but it would be a lot more convenient.

I reached the office at 8:30 and entered the elevator just in time. After pressing the number 9, I stood in the elevator feeling jittery. I didn't exactly like my boss. It had been like this from the beginning. I don't know why I'd waited out so long with him. There was something about Jonathan Burke that made him unapproachable.

The elevator pinged and someone entered the elevator. I was too deep into my subconscious being tense to bother to see who it was. But a strong scent of musky cologne filled my nostrils and automatically pulled my gaze up to see the most beautiful, blue eyes staring at me. His demeanor screamed rich and he had the most defined jawline I had ever seen. His suit perfectly fit him with a feeble attempt of covering his strong muscles and his brown hair were combed back perfectly. I realized after what felt like ages that I was staring with my mouth open. My cheeks flushed as I drank him in. The corners of his lips twitched, knowing very well that I was ogling him. I was hoping to somehow camouflage myself  with the black walls, but his gaze was making that impossible.

Lifts should have a panic room. I was looking for a way to escape.

Will this embarrassment end?

I pursed my lips and looked away, still a shade of pink, waiting for my floor. I faced the floor with closed eyes. His smile stuck in my mind. I had seen him somewhere before. He was gorgeous and I had noticed it before.

The elevator pinged and I realized that we had reached the 9th floor. I don't think I'd ever been so thankful for hearing an elevator ping. I ran out as soon as the elevator opened.

How stupid can you be, Bree? Who stares at men like that?

Sure, he was as handsome as they could get, with his v-shaped waist clearly seen entering his pants and with the height enough to tower...

Wait.
Is he, him? He can't be. There were talks of him bidding for the company.

I searched the name in my phone and his smile was there again. I had been in an elevator with Alexander Armenti and had completely made a fool out of myself. I couldn't believe it was the man himself. It was going to be one hell of a meeting.

I entered the conference room, but I was still early. As I sat in my chair which was away from the table for the board members, people started to enter the room, beginning a light chatter. Mr. Burke entered the room and a creepy silence befell the huge table. Just as he was about to start the meeting, the door opened again and the familiar cologne reached my nostrils again. I sat up panicking and saw Alexander looking right at me.

Could this get more embarrassing?

I looked away and began fidgeting with my pen.

"Let the meeting begin." My boss's voice rang through the room.

He continued, "As we know of Mr. Armenti's proposition, I would like you to know that I don't agree that the company can be just taken over like that."

Then a deep voice said, "Of course it can, Mr. Burke. This isn't the first time I have taken over a company. I have spoken to the board already and they seem to agree. This is not a hostile takeover anymore, Mr. Burke. I am looking to expand."

Alexander was good. Had he managed to convince all the board members to turn their backs on Jonathan Burke overnight? He knew the trade like the back of his hand. Such a shame that I was going to leave when there was a real opportunity to learn from him as my boss.

All the people at the table began a discussion as to why Burke Hotels and Constructions couldn't strive on its own. Mr. Burke looked like he knew it was impossible for him to keep his company in his hands. He was going to lose his company and his reddened, angered face did say that he wasn't very pleased with it. To speak the truth, he was getting more money than he ever could have gotten out of the company. Alexander made a good deal, but the company was Mr. Burke's legacy.

My thoughts were interrupted by Mr. Burke's angry voice.

"Fine."

Mr. Burke slammed the door behind him. Alexander was standing during the entire meeting and now that everyone was leaving, he started walking towards me. My legs refused to budge. The etiquettes I'd learnt in business school would be useful with him. He stopped right in front of me and I was freaking out from inside. He was gorgeous.

"Nice to meet you, Sir. I'm Brianna White and I was Mr. Burke's assistant."

I was hoping that he'd forgotten the elevator ogling. It wouldn't matter, I was leaving the job.

But he did something that dropped my jaw to the floor. He took a step closer and leaned in close to whisper. Maybe a little too close.

"Really, Miss White. I'm hoping that you'll be more to me than that."

Hey guys, what do you think of Ian Somerhalder as Alexander Armenti?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

981K 23.5K 46
Madeline Bloom is clumsy, complex, and bright; all the while dripping in sex appeal. The 22 year old, seemingly oblivious of her looks has her sights...
943K 8.9K 13
[completed] Javier Altamira a man who has everything, fame, wealth, looks and a body that drives women crazy but he is ruthless, never smiles and nev...
506K 13.7K 60
*BEWARE: I started writing this when I was much younger so I apologize on how fast paced it is, I plan to edit and republish it later on so read with...
868K 21.9K 43
Nathan Parker A 24 years billionaire and a single father of 2 years old. He is cold, arrogant, rude and doesn't give a shit about any others feelings...