What Now

By shaylamariam

Book 2 | Completed | "So, what now?" Lydia asked. "Now...we send his ass back to prison." Sean Williams has... More

Introduction (Read Me!)
1. The Doghouse
2. Red Solo Cup
3. Terms & Conditions
4. Comfort Zone
5. Distractions
6. Compromises
7. A Night to Savor
8. Puzzle Pieces
9. It's A Date
10. Lingerie, Girl Talk & Private Callers
11. Flowers & Chocolate
12. Valentine's Day
13. Run, Lydia, Run
14. Earth to Lydia
15. Golden Girls
16. Yippee-Ki-Yay...
17. Pizza, Anyone?
18. Welcome to the Big Apple
19. McDreamies and McSteamies
20. Absolutely Necessary
21. The Wrath of Lydia
22. Piece of Cake
23. WTF?!
24. Identifying The Villain
25. Wanted: Jonathon Preston
26. One Big Slumber Party
27. This Just In
28. One Shot
29. Closure
30. Tonight
31. Family Reunion
32. Gone
33. Leverage
34. Consequences
35. Safety Off
36| Just Breathe
37| Aftermath
39| Closure
Epilogue
What If (Book 1)
What's Next (Book 3)

38| Leniency

1.6K 81 4
By shaylamariam

I continued to pace back and forth in the small room Caffrey brought me to. When we were in the waiting room at the hospital, I was hoping there would be more time before I had to accept the consequences of what I did.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. While Michael and I had been talking, Caffery and two other agents came into the waiting room and arrested me. Michael and I both begged and pleaded for them to at least say goodbye to Lydia and let her know what was going on before they took me away, but there was no convincing them.

They put me in the back of one of those fancy black SUVs that you see in the movies before driving me to their New York office. Caffrey brought me into this room and here we were. I glanced at my watch and groaned. It's been three hours. Three hours and no answers.

The only thing Caffrey said to me since we got here was that he had tried to put it off as long as he could at the hospital. He said he told Michael to update Lydia and to let her know where I would be. At least Caffrey showed some remorse.

I knew it wasn't anyone's fault other than my own that I was here. I could blame Lydia's father, but I'm the one who made the choice to disregard the FBI and use my facial recognition software. Not to mention giving Lydia my weapon.

At least she was alive and unharmed. That's what mattered. Everything that I did was worth it as long as she and Maria were okay. Thankfully the doctor gave us an update before I got taken away. Maria was okay. As far as Lydia's father, I hope he never wakes up from his coma.

That may be a terrible thing to say, but I meant it. He has done nothing but destroy people's lives. He was a predator and a killer. Someone like that did not deserve any kind of freedom.

The door to the room I was in open and Caffrey walked inside with a solemn look on his face. Well, this didn't look good. I kept trying to reassure myself that no matter what happened, everything was going to work out in the end. Even if the consequences of what I did included jail time.

I believed in what Lydia and I had. I believe that, even if I did have to do sometime, she would be waiting for me when I got out. I would never expect her to put her life on hold for me. So, it would be up to her. If I ended up behind bars, I wasn't going to hold it against her if she moved on with her life. All I've ever wanted was for her to be happy and safe.

"Sit down," Caffrey said as he tossed some papers on the small table. I did as he said. "You understand what you've done, right?"

I frowned at his question. There was something off about his demeanor. "Yes."

"Tell me," he demanded. "I need to know that you actually do know what you've done and why you're sitting here."

I let out a heavy sigh as I crossed my arms over my chest. "I originally signed an agreement with the FBI that I would not use the facial recognition software that I created. By signing that agreement, I accepted the terms of that contract. That means that I knew I was at risk of being fined or jail time if I broke the agreement."

Caffrey's eyes stayed on me. "When have you broken that agreement?"

"I used it when Lydia was kidnapped in Portland. Then I used it again when she was kidnapped for a second time by her sadistic father."

"What did I tell you in Portland, Sean?"

I had to admit, Caffery definitely had this whole bad cop thing down. "You were very generous and gave me a warning. You also made me promise never to use it again. But I used it again."

Caffrey marked something down on one of the papers in front of him. "I think you are leaving one other crime out of that little summary."

Ah, yes. That little chestnut. "I gave Lydia my firearm."

When Caffrey smiled at me, I could tell it was not because he was suddenly in a good mood. "Good. Now we're getting somewhere."

While he continued to fill out some forms, it became nearly impossible for me to take the silence any longer. "Caffrey, with all due respect, can you please just tell me what the hell is going to happen to me? I'll accept any punishment you give me, I just ask that you let me see Lydia before it happens."

When I finished speaking, his hand stopped writing, but he didn't look up at me. It was several minutes before he finally met my stare. 

"Sean, I'm glad that you're able to acknowledge that what you did was wrong." Caffrey leaned forward and his face softened a little before he continued. "I like you and Lydia. I understand that you did what you did because her life was in danger. But there has to be some kind of reprimand."

"I  understand that," I replied with a steady tone. When I made these choices, I knew there would be consequences. It was just like the time when I punched James in the face. It may have been out of anger, and he may have deserved it, but I shouldn't have done it.

"It turns out I'm not the only one who tends to have a soft side for you and your wonderful girlfriend. The deputy director is also a big fan of yours." Caffrey held out a document to me.

I read the paper multiple times before I looked up at him with a shocked expression. "Are you serious? This is real?"

"It's real," Caffrey breathed. "It will be three months house arrest. You cannot leave your apartment under any circumstances. The deputy director said this will also be a good way to make sure you finish that alarm system he hired you to do."

I leaned forward and ran my hand through my hair. "I can't believe it. Three months house arrest? I thought I was going to be in jail."

Caffrey's expression turned very serious. "Sean, I know this is pretty lenient, but I want you to understand that this cannot happen again. Otherwise, you will be in a jail cell."

"I definitely understand," I sais honestly. "Besides, Lydia's father was a criminal. I don't want to do that to her."

Caffrey shook his head. "Sean, you are nothing like her father. You are the kind of guy that will do anything to save the person he loves. Never lose that." He laughed before he added, "Just keep it within the legal system."

I laughed along with him as relief poured through me. This could have been a lot worse. I really needed to get my shit together.

As if sensing my thoughts, Caffrey said, "If something happens, and you or Lydia are in trouble, call me."

I scoffed. "You going to hop on a plane everytime we need your help?" His shit-eating grin confused me. What was...then it dawned on me. "Are you moving here?"

He shrugged a shoulder. "Like I said, the deputy director isn't only a fan of you. He offered me a promotion and a job here in New York. It's also a good way for me to keep an eye on you."

Well, damn. That's pretty awesome. Even though Caffrey was going to be attaching a tracking anklet to me, I knew that we formed some kind of bond with all the shit that's happened. He saved Lydia's life in Portland. That was one of the scariest times of my life. I owed him everything.

"That's awesome. Congratulations, Caffrey."

He got up from the table and held the door open for me. "Now, let's get the hell out of here. Besides, Lydia has been blowing up my phone non-stop demanding that I let you go." He raised a brow as he followed me out of the room. "Please tell her that, unless she wants to join you on house arrest, to not threaten an FBI agent."

Even though he was serious, I couldn't help but laugh at that. Damn, I really loved her. It reminded me of her reaction the first time I was at risk of being thrown in jail.

"Do you remember that guy I punched? In Atlantic City?"

She seemed surprised by my question. "Yes. The asshole who said that horrible thing about your parents."

I rotated the marshmallow and didn't meet her gaze. "It appears he may press charges against me."

"What!" She yelled, just like I knew she would.

"Yeah. That's what the phone call was earlier at dinner. He's trying to charge me with assault."

"Wha- He- You...He can't do that! He deserved it!"

Finally meeting her stare, I said firmly, "Even if he did deserve it, I shouldn't have hit him. It doesn't make it right."

"So, what? You're going to go to jail now?"

I looked back to her and frowned. "Your marshmallow is burning."

Startled by my statement, she looked down at the marshmallow that was now charred and pulled it from the fire.

She set the poker down before looking back at me. "What are you going to do?"

I was honestly surprised by how angry she was. But, I knew she cared about me, just like I did her.

The ringing of Caffrey's cell phone pulled me back to reality. I started to get worried as his brows drew together. He barely said anything into the phone; but whoever was on the other end had a lot to say.

"Right," Caffrey said, "thank you." He hung up and looked at me. "There's been a situation at the hospital."

Without saying a word, I followed behind him. Was this ever going to stop?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.6K 2K 20
BOOK #2 of 'Forever Collection': "You don't talk to me, you don't listen, you just don't give a shit do you?!" I spat. I pushed him away, gritting my...
293K 6.5K 27
COMPLETED 5.14.18 SEQUEL TO MY BROTHERS BEST FRIEND Book 2/4 of the Adam's series - "I promise, I will ask you soon enough." He kisses my lips gentl...
135K 10.5K 64
✬ 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔻𝕒𝕣𝕜 & 𝕃𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕊𝕖𝕣𝕚𝕖𝕤 ✬ There is a crucial moment in one's life that determines the outcome of everything; well, as books and m...
178K 5.4K 30
|||| COMPLETED |||| Highest rank on what's hot list: #2- heartbreak #2- betrayal #2- billionaire #2- relationships #6- lovestory #13- love #27- se...