What Lie in The Shadows

By CharmfulIndividual

Christina and Erik Lawson are one of the black power couples in Atlanta. With Erik being a big time lawyer an... More

How It All Began
Waiting For My Arrival
Meeting Dr. Price
Lesson Learned
A Friendship Bloossoming
My Savior
Sneak Peek
Sweet Sweet Fantasy
Oh So Complicated
The Ball Pt. 2
Crazy In Love
The Aftermath
Suspicion

The Ball Pt. 1

126 12 2
By CharmfulIndividual

Christina's POV

Today is finally the day of the ball. Hopefully I can enjoy this day without any distractions.

I was currently downstairs getting my makeup and hair done.

"Girl once Im finished with you, Erik won't keep his hands off of you," my makeup and hair artist Keisha said.

I mentally rolled my eyes. Yea right. If only she knew we haven't had sex in about six months.

I put a fake smile. "Im just excited to see how the end results are going to look," I told her.

She laughed while shaking her head,"You're in good hands. Don't worry I won't have you walking around with tracks showing like most of these ratchet hoes."

I immediately bust out laughing. "You is right. They be coming to hospital acting ghetto like i don't know what!" I confessed.

"Shiiid, I know." She replied.

"Ratchet ass bitches," I mumbled under my voice.

Keisha must of heard what I said because she started howling.

"I've NEVER heard you talk like that in my life!" She said through her laughter.

I began to laugh along with her.

"What's all that ruckus?" Erik's voice boomed from upstairs. I hurriedly shut my mouth as I seen him proceed into the living room.

He looked at both of us weirdly. I can tell he just woke up by the red tint of his eyes. I don't know why he was asleep. We have 2 hours until the ball.

"Hey babe. Sorry if we woke you up," I apologized. I did not want to start Erik off today. I wanted today to be as peaceful as possible.

Keisha continued to giggle not noticing Erik was in the living room. I quickly elbowed her in the side.

"Ouch! What yo- oh hey Erik. We're sorry we'll keep it down," she rudely said.

I began to laugh, but Erik's eyes quickly darted over to me. I bit my lip in order to hush up.

"Yea okay," he said while walking.

"Babe! You should start getting ready. I should be done in about 30 minutes." I told him.

I didn't get a response. All I heard was the door slammed. Off on the wrong foot already I thought.

"Let me finish your hair. It shouldn't take long." Keisha said. I noticed the atmosphere had gotten awkward. I just waited for her to get done and leave.

Within 45 minutes, Keisha was done with my hair. She had one twist on one side of my head with the rest of my hair pulled back into an up do. And the make up was flawless. I couldn't of hired anyone else for the job.

I went upstairs to change into my dress since I showered before Keisha came. When I opened the bed room door, I seen Erik putting on his blue bow tie.

"Ready when ever you are," he told me. I went into the closet to change into my dress.

"Can you zip this for me?" I asked Erik while walking into the bed room. I turned around for him. I felt his hands travel slowly down my sides then squeeze my waist a little bit. He trailed one finger down the middle of my back which caused me to squirm.

He let out low chuckle and zipped the dress. Lately he has been a little touchy.

"Thank you babe," I whispered. I went to put on my heels.

"The limo's downstairs. I'll be in there," Erik said to me. I nodded as I put on some jewelry. I quickly sprayed on some Love Spell perfume. I grabbed my clutch, phone, and keys. I cut off all the lights except the hall light and locked the door. I walked outside to the limo.

When Jeff, our limo driver opened the door, I seen Erik smiling at something on his phone. When he seen me he quickly put his phone on lock. Well thats odd I thought to myself.

I scrunched my face."Well you're not going to help me?" I said harshly. He rolled his eyes and gently grabbed my hand. As soon as Jeff closed the door, he let go of my hand and roughly grabbed my face.

"We're not going to have any of tonight! You hear me ?" He said sternly while forcing me to look at him.

I just stared at him not responding. "Huh?!" He said while squeezing my face harder. I quickly nodded.

"Good girl," He laughed. "You look beautiful by the way," he said and pecked my lips.

Erik let go of my face and I began to move my jaw. Why can't we have just one smooth night ? I sat back in my seat as silence fell upon us.

30 minutes later we arrived at the ball. I seen couples walking the red carpet getting their pictures taken. Couples that genuinely look happy and not faking for the public.

"When we get out there smile and wave," Erik told me before he got out the limo. I rolled my eyes as he helped me out.

Soon as we got out, I put on the best smile. Even though behind it all was hurt and pain.

"Christina! Erik!" We heard as we posed for pictures. Erik's hand held me by my waist as we walked over to an interviewer.

"Hello Christina and Erik how are you?" She asked.

"We're doing fine," I answered.

"So what do you guys think about this year's ball?"

"I think its going to be more successful than the ball last year. This ball was buzzing around Atlanta right after last year's ball."

The interviewer nodded,"Yes. I was excited when my boss told me I had to cover you guys event. Also what about this year's auction? I heard it's different from last year."

"Yes. Last year we auctioned off items while this year we're going to auction off women to go on dates and whatever pleasures the men may want from them," Erik said with a wink.

"Yes. So a lot of single men are here tonight," I said with a laugh.

"So hows the marriage life been treating yall?" She asked.

I looked up at Erik and smiled. "We're still going strong." I answered.

"Even after all those rumors?" She asked.

"Rumors?" I questioned looking confused.

"Thats enough questions. You have a nice night," Erik said while leading me away from her.

"What was she talking about?" I asked him.

He shook his head,"I don't know. That stupid ass bitch just wanted to start some." He said.

He lead me inside and thats when I was met with true amazement.

"Wow!" I said. Erik grabbed my hand. "This wouldn't of happened without you," he whispered in my ear.

"I can't take all the credit. I have to give some to Crystal and Dria." I told him while still looking around. People sat around talking to one another. People on the balcony watched everyone from above. Some couples were even dancing on the dance floor.

"Oh speaking of them. Im going to go find them," I gave him a peck on the cheek. I made my way through the crowd being stopped one too many times.

I had finally spotted them. But as soon as I made my way to them I was stopped.

"Hello beautiful," a deep voice spoke as their hand grabbed mine. I snatched my hand away and quickly turned around. My face softened when I noticed it was Derrick.

My eyes trailed along his body. He had a fresh haircut. His smile was bright like he was glad to see me. The suit outlined his muscles that I wanted to reach out and touch. He cleared his throat.

I looked up at him,"Hey! You scared me for a second," I spoke over the music.

"Yea I noticed," he chuckled. "But you do look beautiful," he said as he looked at my body.

I began to blush. "You didn't tell me you were coming," I said as I playfully pushed his shoulder.

He smiled,"Yea I wanted it to be a surprised." He told me in my ear.

My mouth went dry as I thought about my day dream. I giggled. "Well you surely did surprise me. You was about to get cursed out for grabbing me," I said seriously.

He started to laugh.

"Well who do we have here?" I heard my sister ask behind me. I turned around to see her and Dria. She wore a black dress with one shoulder. While Dria had on a yellow dress that hugged her body.

"Hey you guys!" I said while hugging both of them.

"You look beautiful sis," Crystal told me. I smiled and thanked them.

"Forget about looking beautiful! Look at that booty!" Dria said while smacking my butt. I gasped. I seen Derrick look at my butt and smirk.

"So who's he?" Crystal asked me while looking between me and Derrick.

"Well Derrick this is my sister Crystal and my best friend Andria. Dria and Crystal this is Derrick," I said to them.

"Mhm. This is the infamous Derrick," Dria said while shaking his hand. He looked over at me and raised his eyebrow.

"Well its a pleasure to meet you guys," he told them.

"You too," they said in unison. We stood around talking with one another. I was amazed that Derrick got along with Dria and Crystal so quickly. When they first met Erik, they had a hard time dealing with him. I suddenly felt someone glaring their eyes into my back. I looked around and met eyes with Erik. I froze in place.

"You okay?" Derrick asked with a hand on my back. I nodded not really paying attention. All I knew was things were going to hit the fan. Either here or at home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

IMPUMELELO By NateLamak

General Fiction

66.3K 5.5K 41
A young lady falls in love with a young man who loves her dearly. They adore each other and they will do anything to protect each other from anything...
752K 40.7K 30
Sequel to One Night. Continue to follow Aria and Landon through possible love and parenthood while also getting to know their closest friends.
132 40 16
The story of Love, or what has been mistaken for it, in its multifaceted and multi-dimensional radiance. Discovering love can be hard, being in love...
1M 32.1K 39
A woman has faced the heart breaking reality of losing her virginity, being rejected and being blinded by love. She convinced her self that liaison d...