F.I.G.H.T. (Completed)

By GenHope

More detailed description in story. Abella Mobisson has been around boxing most of her life. Her father was a... More

F.I.G.H.T.
Cast
00 | Overture
01 | Fight For Life
02 | Chatty Patty
03 | Hellos & Goodbyes
04 | Can I Talk To You?
05 | Free Smoke
06 | Can You Hear Me?
07 | Put You On
08 | Wins & Losses
09 | My Friend
10 | Kiss Of Life
11 | Connection
12 | No Wahala
13 | Pull Up
14 | The Morning After
15 | Red Flags
16 | Met My Match
17 | Misunderstood
18 | Infatuated
19 | Potential
20.1 | Special
20.2 | Struck
21 | My Equal
22 | The Blues
23 | The Test
24 | That's How You Feel?
25 | The Problem
26 | Strike 3
27 | Obvious / Over It
28 | Triggered
29 | Searching
30 | Too Deep
31 | Fear
32 | The Power of Love
33 | Mine
34 | Claiming
35.1 | My Home
35.2 | Home
36 | Love Ain't Enough
37 | Try Me
38 | Us vs. The World
39 | Flyin' High
40 | Losing, Lost
41.1 | The Crisis
41.2 | The Running
41.3 | The Chasing
42 | The Surrender
44 | Push Me
45 | Draw The Line
46 | Changes
47 | No Pain, No Gain
48 | Old Habits
49 | Prisoner
50 | Kryptonite
51 | F*cked Up
52 | Sabotage
53.1 | Crash
53.2 | Wait
54 | Break
55 | Return
56 | Win or Lose Yo Love
57 | Still Here
58 | Question
59 | Answers
60 | Heartbeat
Epilogue | Denoument

43 | The Rejoining

20.9K 1.2K 2.3K
By GenHope

Round 4

October 15th, 2019

It's a Tuesday morning in Fort Worth, Texas; the place Anthony will call home for the next couple of weeks. Today starts a three week mini-camp to work with some of the legendary men of Ring of Hope Boxing Club.

That same feeling he had when Abella brought him here back in July is flowing through him now. After leaving Miami he came to Texas yesterday, but today's his first day in the gym.

He's staying in a rented house not too far from the gym with Gbenga, KD, and the other men of the training camp. Like all his other camps he's going to be breathing and sleeping boxing. He'll have a curfew of when he needs to be in the house and no women allowed in the home.

Even though today's his birthday it's time to get back to work. He did enough celebrating this weekend. He's seven weeks out until the Ruiz rematch and he's more focused than ever. It's crunch time.

Being a social and friendly person, Anthony had already went around the gym introducing himself to people. That whole southern hospitality thing is true because everyone has been welcoming to him.

When Anthony sees Tylon walk through the gym doors wearing a backpack he can tell he must've just gotten out of school. The teenager daps a few people then comes towards Anthony with his arms spread wearing a bright smile.

Anthony had been in contact with him ever since he met him back in July. Through all the insults and slick comments Tylon's a good kid who got the bad end of the stick when it comes to life.

"Wassup, AJ!" Tylon exclaims dapping Anthony before they pull into each other. They both sit on the edge of the ring.

"How's school?" Anthony asks Tylon as he unties his boxing boot.

"Good, ready to graduate," he says blowing out air.

"What do you plan on doing when you do? College?"

"Naw, I don't think so. I understand why other athletes go. It prepares you for the professional level, but boxing doesn't really get the same opportunity as football, basketball, track. I'm just gonna go full throttle with this boxing. Enter those tournaments and competitions you told me about. Maybe try to get to the Olympics. Build my name before turning pro. I'm a foster kid, ya know, so I'm gonna age out on my 18th birthday. Gotta start making money."

"Where are you gonna go when you turn 18?"

"Oh, I'm going to stay with Ms. Toni for a year so I can get on my feet," he says referring to Abella's mother. Tylon does a content sigh before smiling a little making Anthony look at him...

"What?" He asks with a chuckle.

"I kinda gotta family now, huh?"

Anthony pauses smiling now too. "I think you do."

"Not gonna lie, the Mobisson family been a big ass blessing the last couple of months. Your girl wouldn't leave me alone until I accepted her help. Even from other countries she was making sure people were checking on me. No cap, she's heaven sent."

Tylon finally put his pride to the side to accept help. Because of that he found a new family. Tylon probably spent more time at the gym and with the Ring of Hope family than his foster home. And his foster mother never wondered where he was anyway. She assumed he's running the streets. As long as she's getting her check she doesn't care what he's doing.

"Yeah, she is. That's good. I'm glad everything's working out for you."

"Yeah, me too. What's crazy is I used to to be like Errol's son, Royce. Fucked up, bruh. Nobody could talk to me, touch me... Shit's sad. The Foster system's no joke, that's why I can't wait to get the fuck out. Anyway..."

"You gonna train today? I'm trying to see what everyone talks about when it comes to you. They say you're the best in here."

Tylon smiles with an edge of cockiness. "You know," he shrugs. "I'ma train after I finish my homework, so I'ma get on that. Have a good session. Glad you're here." He daps Anthony once again then disappears from the main gym area to a back room where kids can do homework.

He's definitely a different kid from the one he met in the summertime. He just needed some guidance.

Anthony takes a second to check his phone seeing a bunch of messages and notifications for people wishing him a happy birthday. While on Instagram he sees a post from Abella wishing him happy birthday, although she called him this morning.

He didn't even realize it was her first time posting him on her actual page. She usually posts him on her story where it can disappear within 24 hours. The post is a series of pictures of the two that had never been posted.

The last slide is a video of Maya Angelou... "You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. Ever. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it."

He smiles to himself because that's what he missed about her. The way she could easily make him feel better about any doubts he has.

"Wassup?" Anthony hears making him look up to see Errol walking towards him. "You ready, bruh?" Errol asks dapping him.

"More than ready. How are you? I reached out after the accident. Everything good?"

"I saw. Thanks, bruh. And yeah, it's cool. I walked away good. Had to pay some money and my license got suspended," he shakes his head. He's lucky they didn't try to make an example out of him and give him jail time. He's actually surprised he didn't even get house arrest. "Just Baby Mama drama," he sighs.

"Trust me, I know all about that."

Overhearing the conversation Errol's father jumps in. "That's y'alls fault," he says with no shame. "Y'all young people always sayin', I wish I could pick my baby mama or baby daddy. Ya can. You pick who you fuck, you pick who you wrap it up with, and you pick who you nut in!"

Errol shakes his head like he's heard it before. "Pops, sometimes you gotta chill, bro."

"Chill my ass. Your dumb ass nutted in the wrong chick now my grandbaby gotta be left in the care of a two bit hustling whore." Anthony couldn't help but snicker.

Errol smacks his lips. "Let's not act like people don't change. Rejoice wasn't like this when I met her. I met her when she was a pre-teen. She's not the same person at 26 years old."

Anthony can agree on that. Natalie isn't the same person she was back in their school years. "I agree. People change after the baby or when money's involved."

Errol Sr. scoffs with a laugh. "People show you who they are from the very beginning, but you overlook it. From the beginning I knew Rejoice was witcha 'cause you were good at every damn sport. Everyone knew you would go pro at something whether it was football, soccer, or boxing. She used to come over our house after school eatin' up all our damn food. Loud as all get out."

Errol laughs. "You never thought she was good enough for me."

"Still don't. It didn't have nothin' to do with her being from the hood or that ghetto ass Mama of hers. God rest her soul," he says about Katrina. Older people will talk shit about you then bring God in the mix like it makes it better.

"Dad, chill," Errol says trying not to laugh.

"If I tell you one thing and one thing only... Stop giving your sperm away. With your income all you're doing is giving women paychecks . I guess it's too late now, but find the woman you're going to marry. I chose to marry your mother, only have children with her, and stay married to her. I chose not to cheat and accidentally have outside babies. Everything's a choice."

"Okay, Pastor Errol Sr. You done?" Errol asks.

"I'm done," Errol Sr. throws up his hands walking away leaving Anthony and Errol to laugh.

Anthony can understand why Abella wanted to come home so bad. She has good people around her.

Errol shakes his head. "Something else, boy." He pauses then turns to Anthony. "Ay, be real. Was my ex with any niggas when y'all were in Miami?"

He raises his eyebrows. "Valore, right?" Errol nods his head. "She wasn't."

Errol blows out air with relief. "It's like I know she's not going to take me back, but I'm still hoping for that smallll chance."

Before he can reply Anthony sees Abella walking into the gym. She wears a white t-shirt, grey sweatpants, sneakers, and huge diamond hoops that dangle from her ears with her real hair in a bun,. You can tell she's the most comfortable in this environment. Here she's not famous or a singer. She's just Bell.

She hasn't been at the gym often since they reopened this place due to her career. Now that she's home she's been trying to make an effort to show her face. She makes her way around the room greeting everyone with either a hug or unique handshake. When she enters a room you have no choice but to feel her.

Anthony had to commend Abella. Even though he was acting like a complete asshole when they weren't speaking she was still arranging and preparing everything for when he came.

When he wasn't talking to her, she was still in contact with David to plan the training camp. Together they picked Anthony's sparring partners, made a schedule, and more.

Abella approaches Anthony making a smile grace his lips. She stops in front of him extending her hand asking, "Do you remember it?"

"What kind of question is that?" He asks as they start they're handshake. When they finish Abella adds a snap with excitement for added effect before kissing him.

"Thick thighs save lives. Lookin' juicy," she says slapping her hands onto his thighs rubbing them.

"Don't come in here with that," he says making her laugh.

"I'm sorry. I like my men a little thickums." She wraps her arms around his neck kissing his cheek. "Happy birthday, baby. You're an old man now. Dirty 30! Now you're really uncle status," she jokes.

"One day you'll be 30, remember that."

"And by then you'll be half way to 40," she shrugs.

"You really didn't get me anything for my birthday?" He asks twisting up his lip.

"No! I told you that in Miami. I took it all back to the store cause you pissed me off," she says hopping up to sit next to him.

"Come on. That was petty."

She scoffs. "It wasn't petty enough. Maybe next year," she pats his shoulder.

"Wow," he says in shock making her laugh. "The first birthday we celebrate together? That's cool. I'll remember that when it's your birthday."

"I'm gonna act right around my birthday. Plus, it's Valentine's day so you have to get me something regardless." He smacks his lips not thinking about that. "How do you like the house? You met the chef and physio person, right?"

"Yeah, they were there yesterday. Why can't I stay with you? I don't really want to stay in a house full of men," he frowns up his face making her laugh.

"Boy, stop. You've done it every other training camp. What's different?"

"I have a girlfriend now."

"And that's why you need to stay at the house with all the men. You have a set schedule, meals cooked around the clock, and a curfew. Structure. No distractions. Not even me. I don't need anybody trying to blame me if something goes wrong in the camp or fight."

"Nobody will blame you, stop."

She scoffs. "They'll find a way. They blame me for everything. It's not like you won't see me here and there. I stop by the gym sometimes." When Errol comes back over dapping her she asks him, "How are you?"

When Anthony first started dating Abella he noticed she had a lot of close male friendships. Honestly, the only one that ever rubbed him the wrong way was Jermell.

While they talk I mind my business beginning to wrap my hands until Errol says, "I thought about what you said about Rejoice. When I was in the hospital they ran tests on me. Of course they found alcohol in my system, but they also found hydrocodone in my system."

"A narcotic?" She asks arching her eyebrow.

"Yeah, and you know I don't take pills. I'm almost thirty and can't swallow those bitches. They thought I was using it as a recreational drug. My ass almost got an extra charge, but they let it slide because they believed I didn't knowingly take it. I think she put something in my drink at the club. Yeah, I had been drinking but I think I fell asleep behind the wheel from the drug mixed with the alcohol."

"I told you the story didn't add up. Have you talked to your lawyer or social services person? You need to take her back to court as fast as you can to try and get Royce back. I wouldn't trust him in her care."

"You think she would do all this to get custody only to mistreat him?"

Abella scoffs. "Yeah, she did it for the child support money. If she has to choose between Royce and money or parties, you know what she's going to choose. I can see her neglecting him for sure. How much longer do you think she's going to stay in Texas? Eventually, she's going to move back to California and take Royce with her. Then you don't know what's going on with him."

Errol sighs scratching his head. "It's so much back and forth. Taking her back to court this soon won't help. I have no leg to stand on when I just got a DWI, no license, no stable home environment yet, and I haven't finished the alcohol recovery course."

Abella shakes her head. "She really made you look like a bad father when she's not a saint herself."

"Is something not right with Rejoice in the head?" Anthony genuinely asks thinking back to when she tried to blackmail him.

Abella bounces her eyebrows up and down. "She's been through a lot, but instead of trying to overcome it she internalizes it. It festers then turns into hate that she wants to throw on everybody to make herself feel better. She needs counseling. I want to help her, but..."

"But how can you wanna help someone who keeps hurting you?" Errol finishes for her blowing out air.

"Exactly." Abella leans over kissing Anthony's cheek then stands up. "On that note, I have to go. You two have a good training session."

When everyone has arrived for the morning session they have everyone gather around. A dark skin man standing at 6'4" who looks exactly like Abella's father stands in the middle of the ring as everyone surrounds it.

"If you all don't know, I'm Emenike Mobisson. I'm the immediate junior brother of the late Michael Mobisson. I have about thirty years experience in boxing along with most of the head coaches and trainers at this gym."

"We all have jobs to do throughout these couple of weeks. For the men we brought in to spar...Some of you might quit, some will make it to the end, some might get knocked the fuck out."

"A lot people have been talkin' shit. Sayin' Anthony doesn't have the skills to beat Ruiz and he can't get them in six months. An Olympic gold medalist, former unified champion of the world who picked up each belt individually, and the biggest cash cow in the division says otherwise. He's done not so bad for someone who 'lacks the skill.' Opinions don't win fights. Talk is cheap and it doesn't cost a penny to talk shit. Time to prove everyone wrong."

Anthony needed to hear that. Not these so-called boxing experts writing him off. "Day one starts now..." Emenike ends his speech as everyone claps.

After getting his sparring gear on Anthony climbs under the rope into the ring. He looks at Errol who's already in the square walking to the other side.

Errol's known to spar heavyweights because he's infamous for his hard-hitting, deadly body shots. He may only be 5'10" and 170 on a good day, but his punches pack heat that even the biggest men can't handle.

He's had men folded over and screaming saying they can't feel their legs from the impact of his fists. Ruiz has some deadly body shots as well, so Anthony has to prepare for those and Errol is perfect for that.

It might not be ideal to be getting punched in your side, but Anthony needs to prepare for anything. Ben puts his mouth-guard in for him and he bites down to make sure it's secure.

He watches Errol's Dad do the same for his son then he turns around ready to go...

A lot of people wondered if Errol would still be the same fighter he was before the accident. He was cleared by the doctors saying he should be just like his old self. He had no serious injuries so their should be no complications.

And just like people have worries Errol won't be the same in the ring, Anthony has critics who say he can't win the titles back. They say Anthony should take a tuneup fight in between.

He can't let it get to him. He still has the same trainer despite people telling him to get a new one. He still has the same team, just added some more people with different skills who can add to his tools.

Anthony sits in the living room of the training camp house talking to KD and one of the trainers. From that first session earlier today he knows the next couple of weeks are going to be hard, but they'll be worth it.

The people at Ring of Hope don't play at all, but they know what they're talking about.

After taking a shower, eating, and a nap, he can finally relax. Tonight they plan on going on a run as a group. The thing with camp is your day is train then recovery, repeat.

When he hears a female voice in the distance he furrows his eyebrows. He turns around looking towards the door, but KD's standing in the doorway blocking his view.

"Who is that? Is Abella here?"

"No," KD responds nonchalantly.

"I can hear her voice. I know her voice. Move your blockhead," Anthony motions for KD to move, but he doesn't budge.

"You're hearing things." He finally moves then Gbenga walks in through the door holding a cake with sparklers as people start singing happy birthday.

"Your present is here!" Abella announces while walking in with a bunch of balloons in one hand and a sparkler in the other.

Anthony's mouth slightly drops before he smiles...

He looks at the cake then at everyone who's still singing. Ben really thought he was killing it with the baritone voice when Abella finally joins in upstaging him. "Ayyy!" They yell when they're done singing before clapping, so he blows out the candles and sparklers.

Anthony thanks them still wearing a smile. A few of them are glad to see him happy because they could tell he was down for the past month.

"This'll be the only time she's allowed in this house, so don't get any ideas," his coach playfully jokes.

"I'll just sneak out," Anthony smirks making people chuckle.

"You can't even eat this cake, but I got you an Edible Arrangement in the kitchen," Abella says tying the balloons to a chair before coming over to kiss him. "Your gifts are upstairs in the room. Did you really think I didn't get you anything?"

"Yeah, when you say something you mean it."

She can't argue that. "I'm not that petty though." After spending a couple of minutes joking around Anthony goes upstairs with Abella to the room he's staying in.

When he walks in seeing all the stacks of boxes and bags on the bed he's taken aback. He's the one usually buying people stuff. Abella's always been big on birthdays and gifts. It's probably one of her love languages. Anthony didn't even know what to do as he still stands in the doorway.

"I couldn't take half this shit back anyway, so you got lucky. If people wore your size, boyyy, I would've been the most generous person ever seen." She stands by the bed stretching her arm out. "Come sit."

He sits on the bed as Abella figures out what she wants to give him first. She points then says, "Those bags are for Joseph. I forgot to send them with the other stuff. They're clothes."

He smiles at her watching her every movement. He's kinda speechless. While she's putting the bags and boxes in a specific order he goes through the bag for his son. "The first gift is actually on your phone. I made you another playlist, so check that."

Making each other personal playlists became their thing. Through the songs they could express their feelings or simply give the other person good vibes.

She hands him the first bag and he pulls the paper out then pulls out the box inside. He looks at it seeing it's long distance touch lamps. "Oooh, how do you use it?" He asks with excitement.

When he starts to open it she stops him. "Aht, we'll do that later. You always want to immediately open stuff and take forever."

He smacks his lips. "That means I actually like it."

"I know. I'm glad. C'mon," she says handing him a small box with a bow on it. When he opens it it's a Cartier box. He pulls it open seeing a diamond band ring. He looks up smiling, "What's this?"

"If you think I'm wearing a commitment ring and you're not, you're crazy."

He laughs. "Did you go get this yesterday?"

"Sure, did. When I got off the plane called my jeweler and told him to open up," she motions like she's knocking, while he's taking it out. "Yeah, put it on. And when a chick bothers you throw that hand up."

"Like this?" He says dramatically raising his hand.

"Yeahhh, let 'em know!" She says with excitement. "That's my man." She kisses him as they both laugh.

"I just want you to know... We have to get married right after I propose or we're breaking up. I'm 30, I don't have time to waste. I'm old." She can tell he's being dramatic.

"Shut up," she laughs it off handing him another box. When he unwraps it and sees a wooden box he immediately pauses and looks at her. He gets it fully unwrapped and opens it seeing an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Perpetual Calendar watch in White Ceramic staring back at him.

"Nahh," he say closing the box back shut. "You're not serious. You know how much this is?"

"Yeah, I paid for it," she shrugs. She knows he likes watches and got something that fits his simple style. He's not into all the flashy diamonds covering the watch like other guys. "Look at the back of it."

After getting it out of the box he looks at the back. It's laser engraved with the sonogram of their baby.

Anthony rubs his finger over the grooves that make up the picture just staring at it. He's so quiet, so Abella looks at him. When she sees a tear fall out of his eye she freezes from getting the next gift. "Aw, don't cry."

When his head lowers and he covers his face with his hand she stops what she's doing and wraps her arms around him. He picks his head up pulling his shirt by the collar to use it to wipe his face.

Anthony sucks it up quickly not being able to break the mindset that he shouldn't show emotions. He nods his head that he's good before taking the next gift.

He opens the envelope and pulls out a card. When he opens it something falls out, so he pick it up and it's a tag for a Magnolia Tree. "A tree?"

Abella's now sitting next to him. "Yeah, I looked up ways to commemorate a miscarriage and they said you can plant a memorial tree. It can represent growth and the future. We can plant it in my backyard. That's if you want to..."

She can see one side of his lip curl up before he nods his head. He turns towards her saying, "I love you." She gives him a smile saying it back being pulled into his embrace.

As they hug Anthony explains, "You came in and you really didn't do much looking back on it. You did small things, but it made me feel big. Other women they just did too much. Everything you did came off genuine and I needed that."

Moving his head from the crook of her neck he kisses her cheek. She kisses his nose that's red from him crying making them chuckle. "You still have more gifts."

"I don't need anything else." He appreciated that everything had thought behind it. Tossing labels at someone you love is lazy just because you have money.

"Did you like the ones you opened?"

He laughs because he thinks his reactions made it obvious. He grabs the watch putting it on his wrist. He looks at it then says, "Even if I already have a child, I still had first experiences with you. I'll cherish those moments. For me to be able to be happy about the baby because I felt like I was having a child with someone I genuinely loved. For me to hear the heartbeat and hold the first sonogram. Thank you."

"You're welcome." Abella smiles leaning in kissing him. That was probably the best thing she's heard.

Once he's done opening all his gifts Anthony and Abella go downstairs. They're waiting for KD and Ben, so they can leave to her house.

"I need my nails done," Abella comments making him look down at her hand...

"I honestly thought you weren't going to forgive me let alone wear the ring."

"Really? Everything can be fixed and worked out if you're willing to try and that's something we're both willing to do."

He puts his hand next to hers since he now wears the watch and ring she got him. When he records a video and posts it to his Instagram story she says, "You know the blogs are about to eat that up saying we secretly got married since we're 'engaged'. They really said a bride price was negotiated. I can't."

"A little trolling won't hurt. Let them believe the lies they spread," he shrugs.

When KD and Ben come down the stairs they all walk out of the front door. "So Ben...What's going on with you and my good friend, Tamara?" Abella asks being nosy.

Anthony immediately laughs remembering them making out in Miami. Ben puts his finger to his lips to say 'quiet'.

"They would proper suit each other. They would be a cute couple," KD throws in with a laugh. Ben only shakes his head not saying anything. He's more reserved with that stuff.

When they get to Abella's house they go into her backyard where she already started planting a garden throughout the weeks. She has different flowers, herbs, fruit, and vegetables growing. She grew up helping her mother with her garden. Before that her mother helped her grandmother with hers and so forth.

After picking a spot for the tree Abella gives Anthony a shovel to dig a hole. While he's doing that she waters her plants. Once he prepped the tree he fills the hole back up with dirt. He bends down to use his hands making sure it's completely covered.

He pauses looking at the small tree. It could one day grow to be 70 feet tall with hundreds of flowers on it. Like a child it's supposed to grow and become something you filled with love, time, and care.

He grips the dirt in his hands watching it slip through the cracks of his fingers and before he knows it he's breaking down crying.

This wasn't the few controlled tears he shed earlier at the watch. He let out an aching sob that made Abella look towards him. The cry was reminiscent to what she released in that Rome hotel room by herself while Anthony was in Saudi Arabia.

It's like what happened a month ago was finally catching up to him after concealing his emotions. He thought crying the day the miscarriage happened was enough to make him forget about it.

Abella pulls off her gardening gloves making her way to him. As soon as she touches him he wraps his arms around her waist hugging her tightly as she still stands. With his face on her stomach his tears make her shirt wet. Despite him having a tight hold on her she's able to lower to his level dropping to her knees beside him.

With his head in her chest she rubs his back not even able to help the tears that roll down her own face.

Between his tears he gets out, "I never should've left you to go to the press conference in Saudi Arabia or at my house for other people to take care of you while I was at the gym. I understand why you left. I wasn't there for you."

He continued to cry for a few more minutes while she comforted him. What they had been avoiding by Abella leaving London and Anthony ignoring her had caught up to them.

This was the moment for closure to a hard chapter...

October 18th, 2019

Abella stands on a stage singing one of her songs at a rehearsal. She has a couple shows coming up soon and wants to make sure her team hasn't let the short break make them rusty. Plus, she has things she wants to add to her line-up.

The group consisting of Abella, her backup dancers, backup singers, and band have been here for a couple hours. They know they're not going to get everything perfect in one practice so at this point they're having fun .

All the women dance to Check On It by Beyoncé not caring about anything...

And right at that moment Anthony chooses to walk in with Odera. Seeing the women popping their backs and twerking to no end they shake their heads.

Abella damn near does the whole routine in the music video before acknowledging her boyfriend and brother's presence.

"Heyyyyyy," she sings just like the song making Odera huff. "Here she go." He grew up having to hear her sing Destiny's Child and Beyoncé all day.

"You, so sexy boy," she sings pointing at Anthony making him smile. When she's done she hops down from the stage greeting both of them.

Anthony hasn't seen her in about two days due to training, but now it's Friday meaning he has the next two days to rest. "What are you rehearsing for?" He asks after they kiss.

"Uhh, I wouldn't say another leg of the Naija to the World tour, but I wouldn't know what else to call it."

"You're going on another a tour? For how long?"

"It's not really a tour. It's a couple shows in Africa. Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa, and Ethiopia."

"Are you still doing a North American tour?"

"Nope. There's no point. These last shows will wrap up this era. I'm going to put out this rap project then I'm most likely going to take a break from the music industry to do other stuff."

"Does this have something to do with the Gabriel situation?" Anthony ask.

"Partly," she sighs.

Yesterday it was made public that Abella pressed charges against Gabriel. With that news she had to post a statement encouraging women not to be fearful of coming forward if a man takes advantage. That was followed by mixed opinions.

Some believing her and showing their support, while others said she's lying looking for attention...

This morning her label put out a Tweet saying they're aware of the allegations against their staff member and they're conducting an internal investigation... As if they shouldn't have already been doing that. They said until the investigation's concluded Gabriel will be placed on leave.

It's a small victory for right now until they go to court. Her label even had the nerve to lie and say, We have always made safety for our talent and staff our top priority.

Once the accusations and charges were made public it caused women to either get in contact with her telling their own stories of Gabriel or they put them on social media. So far it's about thirty victims and it only became public yesterday...

Their stories all said the same thing about Gabriel. He's aggressive, tries to use his position at the label to get women to sleep with him, and he's a creep.

Some people think they're lying. Why? Gabriel's face has been all over blogs and the news and women think he's attractive, therefore he 'shouldn't have to do that'.

They feel like these women slept with him thinking it would get them opportunities in their career, but when it didn't they're saying it's rape and assault out of regret.

In Abella's case they're bringing up some short clip of her talking to Gabriel at that dinner in Italy. They're saying she was clearly flirting with him and she probably slept with him, but doesn't want Anthony to think she cheated on him. It's stupid.

"It doesn't even sit right with me to stay on this label. They knew about his inappropriate behavior. Instead of firing him they let him work with more female artists, specifically Black ones. It shows they don't give a fuck about me or women like me. They pretty much threw me to a shark hoping I wasn't his type," Abella rants.

Warner pretty much told her to get over it and let it go because he 'only' kissed her and at least he didn't rape her.

"You would think they care more about the artists because they're the ones making them money. Shit is sick," Anthony responds.

"They look at us as dispensable. They have so many artists wanting to get signed they could find anybody to make into the perfect star. Get them in a 360 deal, a couple hits out of them, now they can make money off their streams forever even if nobody remembers them a year later."

"Yup," Odera agrees. "The industry doesn't nurture the talent or their gifts. The machine doesn't care about the individual parts. They replace it if it breaks then keep it movin'. That's why all these artists are on drugs or go broke."

Everything that happened led Abella to starting the hashtag #ForBrownGirls. There were so many Black women coming forward with their own stories so she wanted to create a safe haven for them.

We're seemingly attacked everyday whether social media or real life. She later plans to do something for sexual assault victims through her foundation. People can think what she's doing is self-serving, but it's not. It's bigger than her.

Sometimes it feels like in the Black community you only get support if you're a straight, Black male or a light skin woman. It's like they don't realize there's strength in numbers.

Time and time again you see the media nitpicking and attacking Black women for the smallest things. They're so quick to turn against and 'cancel' us, but let a man do it... Not a peep. It's 'not a big deal.'

"I still think you should let Odera make that call," Anthony says very seriously.

It doesn't sit right with him what Gabriel did and attempted to do. He knew that guys energy was off back in Italy. He's respecting that Abella wants justice, but if he doesn't at least serve jail time he can be served an ass whooping.

After they leave her rehearsal they get food then go to Abella's house that's already occupied by Tamara, Ben, KD, Errol, and others. For the last few days someone's always at her house hanging out.

Walking through the door she notices a box. "Oh, my ASCAP award is finally here." She opens it then unwraps it before holding up the heavy gold and black award. The show was back in July, but she couldn't go because she was on tour.

It has her name engraved into it with 2019 songwriter of the year. She smiles putting it on a table. If she gets blackballed, she'll find a way. She'll be okay regardless because she's talented.

At some point she goes down to her studio with Anthony and Odera, so they can play some of the new songs for him.

Anthony bobs his head as Odee comments, "This that real down south, hard hitting, bass knocking Texas shit."

He can tell Abella wants to have fun with music again. It definitely draws back to Southern music in the early 2000's, especially in Texas.

At the same time it has a unique quality that sets it apart from music then and today. Odera and Abella felt like they were on the verge of creating a new sound since lately Southern artists don't sound Southern and Northern artists don't sound Northern.

Everyone's drawing from other regions then eventually it doesn't sound original and areas lose the sound that's most authentic to them. Texas hasn't had a unique sound since UGK, Screwed Up Click, Swishahouse, and the dance era in Dallas.

When the hard hitting beat does a breakdown into an uptempo African sounding portion Anthony immediately freezes. His mouth drops open a little. It makes you want to Zanku. "What the fuck? My G!" He says with that disgusted face.

Abella bites her bottom lip smiling with pride. All the bullshit in her life had her creativity at its peak. She holds up her hand, "Wait," she points. It switches back to the original beat smoothly before she comes in singing a hook that's chopped and screwed.

"The music video's gonna be so crazy," Odera says already having ideas. When the song's over Odee spins around giving Anthony a smirk like an evil genius. "What you think?"

"Now I see why every time I call you you're in the studio," he says looking at Abella.

"I told you I'm workin," she says dapping him like he's her homeboy. "The song I did for you is number 15 on the Billboards. We figured since it's doing so good we might as well do this rap tape that everyone's been asking for to ride the momentum."

Anthony points to his head. "I see the game plan."

"Did you come up with something to the beat with the Lisa Fischer - How Can I Ease the Pain sample?" Odera asks.

"Yeah, I can lay it real quick," she says heading for the booth. She puts on the headphones and when Odera starts the beat you can tell she starts freestyling and not being serious when she raps, "Karate kicked him in his lip yet he still talkin' shit," referring to Emeka. She couldn't even rap the next line before laughing.

Odera stops the beat saying, "Quit playin', bruh."

"Alright, my bad. Start from the beginning." Odera starts the beat over and you can hear his producer tag go off, This beat so good it'll make you O.D.. She bobs her head letting it ride a little bit.

She hums a few notes and when the beat drops she starts rapping...

Voice on vibrato

Soprano or alto
Switch it up high note
I came in versatile
Say that shit precisely
Little bitch don't try me
I started making money
And family started actin' funny
Winning awards and topping the charts,
but lost friends on the way; shit broke my heart
Fake friends, cut 'em off, new start
Devil testin' hopin' for a cold heart
We used to be close; family turned to foe
Bitch you could neva eva get on my level, hoe
Runnin to the blogs telling all my business
Swear I'm done giving people chances
We had ten years in this shit
You was my dog, but when I turned you down
You turned into a straight clown
We used to be reppin' each other's shit
Screaming the mob, lions only, and man down
I used to be your sis; how you hate me now?That fake shit is what I can't allow
When my Daddy died, nobody helped put him in the ground
Now you're using him to slander me on the net; How you sound?
That's the problem, showed you too much loyalty
Now you turned your back & doing me dirty

Odera furrows his eyebrows. He's expecting Abella to eventually stop, but she's venting about everything on the track. She finally stops allowing for Odee to ask, "You good, nigga?"

"I'm straight. I've been wanting to say this. Let me do the chorus while it's in my head."

She begins singing adding that element of soul like Big Moe, Z-Ro, or Chalie Boy...

Watch my heart & watch my back
You Serve the Idea of Evil
You can't sacrifice my soul
Demons disguised as angels
It's the law of causality
You're not protecting your peace
You're avoiding accountability
You don't love yourself,
so how you gonna love me?
God Hand
Leave it in God's hand
This is God's plan

She goes straight into the next verse back to rapping...

Princess diamonds knuckin' and buckin' in the club lights
That's not a flex, just a little proof of the long nights
And honestly...it's fuck my label
Warner don't forget what I bring to the table
Sick of this industry playing these games
Sick of my enemies saying my name
I could give a fuck about this fame
I'll quit if my label don't pay me
Never let a weak nigga break me
because nobody in this game made me
Shout out to my mother, father, & brother
Poetic in nature, bad bitch cause of my creator
All you record company people need to shut the fuck up
All my enemies needa hang that shit up

When she steps out of the booth Odee asks, "Do you know what you wanna call this song, so I can type it in?"

"Uhh, probably God Hand."

Odera smiles knowing it's in reference to one of their favorite anime shows, Berserk. He extends his hand and she daps it. "I fuck with that. That's hard. It's about fake people and the God Hand apostles are demons who spread chaos and terror. I get it."

"I'm waiting for the Falcon of Light to come save me from misery. Ya feel me? We're such nerds," she chuckles.

"Anime don't make you a nerd. It's better than reality tv."

Eventually, Anthony left with all the guys to go somewhere leaving Abella at home with Tamara and some of her friends from home. She's glad he's building friendships with Errol and her brother since she's so close to them.

After leaving the room to take a call Tam comes back in motioning Abella over. She gets up and Tam pulls her off to the hallway making her wonder what's going on. In a hushed tone she starts, "I just got off the phone with your manager. She says she's gotten word from a couple gossip blogs that someone's trying to shop around an old sextape of you."

Abella's heart drops. "Who's shopping it around?"

"We don't know yet. We're still trying to find out. I've already contacted your lawyer who's been talking to an investigator to make sure this doesn't get out."

"Who's the other person in the video?"

"From what I saw it looked like your ex, Emeka."

She blows out air. "Figures."

"They sent a clip." They go to her office closing and locking the door, so she can watch it.

As soon as it starts playing Abella knows the look in her eyes during the video. She hates seeing reminders of how low she was. Being able to see herself like this make tears immediately fall down her face. She quickly wipes them away saying, "I was high."

This was after her Dad died and she was back and forth between Jidenna and Emeka. She showed her grief in the worst way and now it's haunting her. Her face is all in the video, so she can't even deny that it's her.

Tam stops the video. "There has to be some type of law against doing that when someone's under the influence. You can't give consent, right?"

"I don't know. Emeka probably sold it or leaked it to someone." She sighs putting her hands on her face. "I can't deal with all this."

She sits in silence thinking when her phone starts ringing. Abella looks at her screen seeing it's her cousin, Rejoice. She was going to ignore it not wanting anymore headaches, but answers anyway.

"It's me, Rejoice."

"I know. I have a thing called saved contacts," Abella says with attitude.

"Thought you deleted my number." The line's quiet making her uncomfortable.

"Why'd you call?"

"Did you get a video sent to you?" Abella pauses then sits up straight. She puts her phone on speaker then points at it so Tam will pay attention too.

"How do you know that?"

"I just do. It was a sexually explicit video, correct?"

"I swear if you're the one shopping this around I will kill you," she says with anger now.

"Not me. Someone I know. He told me if you pay for the video he'll stop shopping it around and it won't get out. He wants $3 million."

"Is this some sort of joke? You're really telling me to pay for a sex tape with my ex from two years ago?! You're supposed to be my family and you're facilitating what this person is trying to do."

"Look, here! It's not my idea. Just pay the money and he won't put it out."

"No!" Abella says with stubbornness. "You're my blood. How about you talk him out of it and do the right thing. I'll find out who's doing this and they'll be arrested. That includes Emeka too because I know that's where the person got it from. Even if this call is your only involvement you'll be in jail too."

"Just pay the money!" Rejoice yells before she hangs up.

"They're the enemy of progress," Tam shakes her head shamefully. She recorded the conversation, so she sends it to the investigator informing him that it's Abella's cousin.

Abella stands still for a few seconds then anger takes over. "I don't fuck with these niggas!" She says punching her fist into the other hand. "I don't bother nobody, so why they wanna keep coming for me?" She yells pounding her hand into the wall.

"Calm down. We're going to figure this out," Tam assures her.

"I worked my ass off to get my deal. And my mind was so manipulated I got it and still came home excited to tell Emeka and share that moment with him. I still was ready to give him some of the advance money since he produced the songs. He needs to leave me alone!" She vents.

"I was going to Atlanta working with other producers for my debut project and because he's mad he can't come and control shit, he fucks a bitch in the place I'm paying all the rent. A nigga will cheat on you and still come home and beat your ass. It makes no sense!" She keeps going.

"I've been arrested, publicly humiliated, emotionally scarred. Two relationships later you're still bothering me. Why?!" She asks like he can answer her. "I just want to move on, be happy, and make music. And I'm under attack! Always! What did I do? What is this karma for? What did I do wrong to deserve all this?"

Angry tears rush down her face making Tamara frown. She hates seeing Abella like this. "Emeka and whoever else can't keep getting away with this. You're going to get your good karma and justice for everything. I can promise you that," Tam says hoping to ease her mind.

"They keep coming for my character. I used to be solid in who I was. I was confident in what my parents made me, now I feel like I don't even know who the fuck I am. It doesn't make any sense. It's not right."

Abella plops on the couch beginning to cry as Tamara comes over to console her. That doesn't last long because she shakes Tam off and storms out of the office. Tam calls after her, but she's moving fast. She knows she needs alone time, so she lets her go.

But when it's been a couple of hours and she still hadn't come back Tamara got worried. They heard crashing and thuds upstairs causing them to search the house and find that Abella locked herself in her walk-in closet and beauty room.

She tried to get her to open the door, but she refused. Eventually they decided to call Anthony to get him to come back.

Once Errol pulls up to her house, Anthony gets out walking in. He makes his way upstairs seeing Tamara and two of her friends standing in the hallway. "What's going on?"

"I'm sorry. I really didn't want to disturb you.." He can see the distress on Tam who runs her hand over her head. She tried her best to explain everything that happened regarding the sextape with her ex and Rejoice.

"We can't get her out. She sounds like she's having a panic attack. Usually I can get her calmed down, but I can't."

"I need all of you away from the door. Go downstairs. I'll handle it." When they all look at him stuck he adds, "Please."

When they disappear down the stairs. He leans against the door seeing if he can hear anything. He can hear she's clearly crying. "Abella," he calls out. No response.

"It's me, Anthony. Can you open the door?" Still nothing. "We talked about this... No more hiding the ugly parts. Open it...for me," he pleads. He places his hand on the door closing his eyes.

He jiggles the doorknob, but it's still locked. He touches the door and looks at it before using his shoulder to bust it open. It flies open and he's met with chaos.

He hears crunching underneath his shoe making him look down to see broken glass in the carpet. All the designer, high-end shoes and purses she owns are strewn about the floor. The glass cases that hold her most iconic stage outfits and red carpet looks all have the glass smashed out of them. Clothes are yanked from the hangers and thrown to the floor.

He looks at Abella sitting on an ottoman taking in gasps of air. She's been having a panic attack for the last ten minutes. She felt an intense wave of fear then the room started spinning and it grew ten times smaller.

Her heart's pounding, she can't breathe, her whole body's shaking and tingly, and she feels lightheaded. Because she has tunnel vision she doesn't even know Anthony's in the room until he's in her line of vision.

He squats down in front of Abella grabbing her hands. She feels like she's dying or going crazy. She's never had one this bad and her last one was in the car with Anthony back in June.

She looks into Anthony's eyes not hearing a word he utters then the episode passes. She feels drained while finally being able to catch her breath. He looks at her making sure it's completely done as she falls into his arms beginning to cry again.

"It's okay. I'm here," he tries to assure her.

"I'm sorry," she keeps repeating making Anthony wonder why she's apologizing.

"It's not your fault."

"It is," she says panting for air from crying so hard. "For staying with him so long. People treat you the way you allow them to. I allowed him into my life and now I can't get rid of him."

He pulls away from her putting his hands on her face. "Look at me... He's trying to break you. You can't let him do that. I'm not going to let him. What did I tell you from the beginning?"

"I feel bad because people always judge me. If it gets out..."

"People don't matter. They don't matter. And it won't get out. I'll make sure it won't." She nods her head and he wipes the tears kissing her. Anthony stands up straight helping her up.

When they walk into her bedroom Anthony's met with the truth. Now he sees why she doesn't let him come in here when he comes over.

The rest of the house is spotless clean while her bedroom has old tissues everywhere, clothes she wore taken off and just dropped, food containers piled up in a small trash can.

She was showing everyone she's fine, but she's depressed to no end. It's a miracle she gets out of bed every morning to smile and laugh in everyone's face.

While Abella gets in the bed to take a nap, he tries to clean up as much as possible before leaving downstairs to find Tamara again.

"Is she okay?" Tam asks causing him to nod his head.

"Get her back on the phone."

"Who?"

"Rejoice. I will pay for the tape. There's no reason to even stress over this possibly getting out. I'm over this. Maybe this will make her leave Abella alone."

"I- Are you sure? They want $3 million for it?"

"I know." Tamara and Anthony go back to Abella's office where she left her phone. He unlocks it finding Rejoice's number calling her back. "Record this."

"I hope you changed your mind," Rejoice immediately starts upon answering.

"This isn't Abella. It's Anthony." The line goes quiet. "I hope your proud of what you're doing. Where's the loyalty to family? Not even that, where's your conscious as a human. How would you feel if a man recorded you?" He berates her like a child.

"I wouldn't be stupid enough to let a man record me, especially when I'm famous. If you're not calling to say you'll pay get off my line."

"Who else is doing this with you? I know you're not doing it alone. You got the tape from somewhere."

"Do I look stupid? Why would I tell you that?"

"$3 million, yeah? I'll pay it in exchange for the full video."

"You know what? I think the person with the tape wants more money if you're paying. I heard you're getting paid nearly 100 million for your next fight..."

Anthony looks at Tamara huffing and clenching his jaw. "Not happening. You said three million so that's what you're getting. Give me the bank account number."

"Aren't you used to negotiating numbers and contracts? Why can't we negotiate?"

"Throw out a number..."

"How about-" He can hear her whisper to someone. He hears a deeper more masculine voice whisper back to her. Now he knows there's a man involved. "Ten million."

"7 million," he says meeting her in the middle.

There's a few seconds of silence. "Fine, deal." She begins relaying a number and Anthony writes it down. Rejoice hangs up and he motions for her to end the recording.

"Call the investigator. Send him that recording and this bank account number. Proof that a transaction was attempted. Right there alone is a blackmail charge. If he can prove Emeka gave her and whoever else that tape it's revenge porn."

Tamara steps out to make a call and when she comes back she says, "He traced the bank account. It doesn't belong to Rejoice. It belongs to someone named Messiah Grandbury."

"Who's that?"

"The investigator thinks it's whoever has the tape. I heard the name before in the industry. It's this guy everyone calls Mo City Messiah. He's a club promoter, but he also has an escorting ring... Sex trafficking. Everyone knows it too. Rejoice has been working with him for years."

"So is he the one she does all these schemes with? She tried to blackmail me with some pictures this summer."

"Yup. I don't even know why people in the industry still deal with them. They drug, rob, and blackmail people all the time. They also throw the best parties with the baddest chicks, so maybe that's why."

"That's crazy," he responds stroking his facial hair.

"I was looking at his Instagram and look what I see." She shows a picture of Messiah with Emeka...

"They're connected," Tam states. "They've probably known each other years because Emeka used to DJ at clubs and parties in Houston. A lot of those parties were put together by Messiah or Rejoice."

Anthony shakes his head in disgust that people really sit around plotting against someone like this. "Is this enough proof for the investigator and lawyer to stop the tape from being released?"

"We hope so. We need one of these blogs to give us solid proof it was one of them trying to sell it."

He sighs in relief leaning back in the chair. They sit quiet before Tamara speaks again. "I'm worried about Abella. I haven't seen her like that since like a year ago after her Dad died. I don't want her to relapse."

"Abella has never really talked about her addiction with me. What do you suggest I do?"

"The good thing about Bell is she has a lot of self-awareness. If something triggers her she jumps on it before it gets too bad. Even when she was popping pills and acting crazy last year, she was the one who realized how bad it was and got help. She didn't have to be forced..."

"But?" He says because he can feel one coming.

"But this has been a lot lately. I think we just have to watch her and pay attention to any signs. Don't make it obvious though. She hates when people start treating her like an addict."

Anthony nods his head standing up. "I'm going to go check on her." He goes upstairs to her bedroom seeing she's now awake.

Abella lays in the bed and walks over laying next to her. He tells her that they might've fixed it, but they have to wait and see.

They lay in silence enjoying the calmness for the moment. Anthony now lays sideways with his head on her stomach as she stares up at the ceiling fan. He throws some stuffed toy up and down repeatedly until she grabs it midair. "What's wrong?" She asks handing it back to him.

He squeezes the plush before using his fist to lightly hit it. "It ain't right," he shakes his head. "They're taking the piss at this point. They're moving fuckin' mad."

"Yeah, I'm ready for this shit to be over. I'm gonna move to Europe on some Eartha Kitt, Nina Simone, Hazel Scott shit and I'm not looking back." They both end up chuckling. "I think it's time I go back to therapy. I haven't been in almost a year.."

That's the self-awareness Tamara was talking about. "Can I come with you?" He asks looking at her.

Abella wasn't expecting that. "Yeah, that would be nice." They both sigh in unison.

Despite everything they have a sense of relief that the balance is being restored between them. It brings a sense of peace and understanding. They enjoy the sense of completeness that can only be found in each other's companionship.

They have been reunited and rejoined...

_________

Comment / Vote🥊❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 13.9K 64
𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐏𝐄𝐑 𝐇𝐀𝐘𝐄𝐒 two years ago, my life changed forever. All it took was one night to alter the rest of my life. I wasn't sure about a lot of...
29.4K 1.5K 26
Can money and fame get between a prospering, rising boxing star and his girlfriend of five years? Jungkook, conflicted between love and happiness, an...
18.8K 1.2K 62
The boxing trainer by a profession for everyone but his real profession wasn't known to anyone, even his close friends. His harsh childhood and early...
102K 2.8K 62
MATURE | 18+ "we're not supposed to be doing this." august said, breathless, basking in the proximity. ares smirked. "who cares? i'm in charge here."...