Royal Renegade

By xXTheBelieverXx

"Let me have your throat again," he beckons, and despite how airy and thin his voice is, it's still powerful... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: What Are You Waiting For?
Chapter 2: Reap and Sow
Chapter 3: Trigger
Chapter 4: Royal Pains
Chapter 5: Your What?
Chapter 6: Opportunity
Chapter 7: First Embrace
Chapter 8: Pressure
Chapter 9: Am I Not the Prince?
Chapter 10: Roots
Chapter 11: Target Practice
Chapter 12: Worthy Opponent
Chapter 13: Blood or Wine?
Chapter 14: Follow Me
Chapter 15: Good Night
Chapter 16: Vulnerable
Chapter 17: His Name
Chapter 18: Let Her Go
Chapter 19: Prince Charming
Chapter 20: Leave Me Alone
Chapter 21: Pure
Chapter 22: Where Would I Go?
Chapter 23: Nightmare
Chapter 24: Dark Knight
Chapter 25: Need
Chapter 27: Humble My Pride
Chapter 28: Do Dreams Come True?
Chapter 29: First
Chapter 30: Yes, Please
Chapter 31: None of Your Business
Chapter 32: Sweet Potato Pie
Chapter 33: Monsters
Chapter 34: Why'd You Let Him Go?
Chapter 35: To Know You
Chapter 36: Axelia or Xeli
Chapter 37: Too Far
Chapter 38: Game of Chess
Chapter 39: How Did I Get These?
Chapter 40: Missing Pieces
Chapter 41: Prince in Mourning
Chapter 42: This is Love
Chapter 43: Innocent
Chapter 44: Royal Renegade
Chapter 45: I'm Here
Chapter 46: He Understands?
Chapter 47: Freesia Flowers
Chapter 48: From Enemy to Ally
Chapter 49: Power in Relationship
Chapter 50: Incredible
Chapter 51: Checkmate
Chapter 52: I Belong Here
Chapter 53: This is the One
Chapter 54: Human?
Chapter 55: What You Want
Chapter 56: I Do
Chapter 57: We Are Family
Chapter 58: Frustration {Mature}
Chapter 59: Together {Mature}
Chapter 60: Matters to Discuss {Mature}

Chapter 26: Reckless Embrace

4.4K 232 30
By xXTheBelieverXx

Princess Axelia

Firm cushion and layers of knitted quilts apply pressure to my wounds through the itchy gauze enough to awaken me. I rise quickly and toss off the blankets before groaning as I lift pieces of the thick white wrapping in an attempt to soothe the indentions in my ashy skin.

It's then that the aroma of toast and eggs draws me from the bed and over to a platter set on a desk by the door to the room.

Even though they brought me a late dinner, my stomach shamelessly grumbles at the sight before I dig my hands into the food shoveling it into my mouth.

Once the platter is void of a single crumb, I exhale a long sigh as I turn to face the dim room.

Royal blue shades cover the two, floor-length windows and no candles are lit. A chill on my skin tells me the fireplace has been put out before my sight can verify.

Rubbing my eyes with my wrists, I blink a few times before taking a look, my heart stopping with my breath at the sight of Leonidas lying stomach down on a long, black cushioned couch in the middle of the room.

He is without a shirt, but his entire abdomen is coated in thick gauze with wine colored stains seeping through the back. His forearms are also wrapped but four puncture wounds in a line along his neck seem to be fading.

Curious, I venture across the room to get a closer view until a dark figure moving like a blur interrupts my stride.

With a frown, I scan the room only to find that nothing has moved.

For all I know, it could have been my own shadow.

I continue forward another step rubbing my eyes again, but when I lower my hands, a boy waist-tall with pale white skin is standing in front of me causing me to jump and place a hand over my mouth to stifle a scream.

"You shouldn't touch him," he warns, narrowing his latge brown eyes.

Where did he come from? How long has he been in here?

"Who are you?"

Based on the way he was moving, he clearly isn't human.

"My name is Alec, your Highness," he gives a curt bow. "I am the head servant of our Prince."

A child?

"Why are you here, now?" I wonder.

I'm also curious as to why Leonidas chose to sleep in here of all places. This is his tower after all. Doesn't he have his own bedroom? Or, did they lie about this being the guest room?

"I came to check on him," he answers. "This isn't where he usually rests and I was worried about him being left alone with you."

"He saved my life last night. Harming him is not something I intend to do," I reply to ease his concern.

Gaze softening, he glances over his shoulder at the Prince and then back to me.

"Harming you will be his every intention if you wake him. He'll do to you as you did to that plate of food over there," he gestures to the breakfast I slaughtered.

My cheeks heat like a flame knowing someone witnessed that but before I can apologize for what he saw, the door cracks open as Elytis peeks his head through.

"Alec, your services are being requested in the throne room," he says, then meets my eyes. "Good morning, your Highness. I have to step away with him for a few minutes. Please, don't leave this room. It's the safest place for you until I return."

I nod as Alec's body becomes a blur only to still when he passes by my empty breakfast platter shaking his head. Then, the two of them leave sealing the door shut behind them.

Who knew a child could make me feel so shameful?

Sighing, I find a set of clothes folded up for me on the desk as well. I change into them and then pull the chair over to the couch where I sit and stare at the vampire Prince; particularly at his back.

Wings.

Leonidas has wings.

Not wings made of skin, but feathers. They were the length of a carriage. Thick, black and crow-like in shape.

For what seems like a half hour, I sit and ponder this over. So, I can't help the tormenting urge to poke his back with something to see if they'll come out. However, in case they don't and he tries to attack me instead, I have a plan.

Confident, I take a broom I found in the bathroom and begin to nudge its blunt end onto his shield of gauze.

He doesn't seem to respond at first, but my nerves and lack of patience get the better of me leading me to whack the stick across his back.

Good idea?

Definitely not.

The moment a growl emits from his chest, I bolt towards one of the windows where I've drawn up a curtain allowing a pool of sunlight onto the wood floor.

Just as I turn to face him, he reaches an arm into its rays to grab me but the skin on his hand immediately emits a cloud of steam making him withdraw.

Eyebrows furrowing in confusion, his dilated eyes assess his hand before also taking notice of the gauze wrapping his body. Bold, blue, purple and red veins cascade over his cheekbones as his skin withers, but it's the carnivorous snarls and growls of his stomach that return his glare to me.

"So even in this subconscious state you won't put yourself in harm's way?" I share my thought aloud, aware he won't respond. "You get more interesting with every encounter."

His dark eyes fall to the perimeter of the sunlight that he paces. Jaw tight, his eyebrows remain tightly pinched as though he's in pain. It's possible he is. I remember him grimacing the last time this happened, too.

I realize this is cruel considering I have no intention of donating my blood to his quench his thirst.

"Leonidas."

Nothing.

He continues pacing, eyes scanning my pool of sunlight for any opportunity to grab me.

It's a bit unnerving, reminding me of what the servants last night shared about how he becomes a different person under the wrong conditions.

This mysterious version of him, I don't know. It's troublesome enough that I'm grateful his trigger state is a complete stranger to me; a side of him I hope never to meet.

Just as my thoughts clear, he vanishes.

Huh.

I wasn't expecting him to leave.

I glance throughout the room before taking a cautious step forward making sure to stay in the light as I do, but he isn't anywhere to be found.

Breathing hard, I rise on the tips of my toes to peek over the bed and then it dawns on me to look beneath it instead.

Squatting, I lean as far down as I can but the sheets drape so low I have to get to my stomach. As I confirm he isn't there either, he grabs one of my ankles and drags me from the shelter of the sun.

I deliver a solid kick to his chest, but it doesn't faze him as he drags me under a straddle pinning my legs with his own.

Squirming beneath him, I try and fail to throw off his balance. Unfortunately, he is more stable than a Feral. Stronger.

He bares his fangs at me and uses my moment of stillness to grasp my wrists. There's not a chance I could beat him while he's like this so long as I lack intent to harm him.

Before I know it, he's dipping his face to my neck with his fangs bared, so I quickly groan out the nickname that saved me the last time.

"Leo!"

Pausing, his eyes fully constrict before dilating just like they did before as he enters consciousness.

How is it that name works?

Fear and surprise widen his eyes as he assesses our position and quickly he withdraws from on top of me. Meanwhile, I prop myself up on my elbows annoyed and disappointed by my inability to fend him off.

He offers me a hand that I accept and pulls me to my feet with a single tug. Once I steady, I attempt to back away from him, but he adjusts his grip on my hand to my wrist tugging me forward with a scowl.

"Why would you do that?" he asks, and I assume it's in reference to waking him up again. Although the last time it happened it was technically Miss Elysse's fault.

"I needed to talk to you."

There are a plethora of questions I have that he can answer.

A sharp growl from the depths of his chest causes my own to vibrate as it interrupts my thoughts and draws my eyes to his face which expresses the intensity of a thirst I have also awakened.

"You're so reckless," he glowers, and his grip on my wrist tightens causing the gauze to pinch my skin. "You wander off to the forest in the middle of the night and awaken me knowing what will happen. Have you forgotten your wounds?" he scolds, cheeks withering harshly across his face. "The scent of your blood is strong. I could've seriously hurt you, Axelia."

His anger seeps through every word he fumes which almost leaves me speechless.

Almost.

"Yet you resist," I remind him.

Another tug pulls me to his body, and I gasp as he places one hand on my waist while dipping his head to the curve of my neck. His warm breath fans against me from its base up to my ear. "Stop testing my will to do so," he murmurs against my skin with a tone so low, I shiver.

It's been a while since I've felt threatened by him in this way, but I won't let his anger deter me from why I woke him in the first place.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I yank my wrist free from his grasp and join it with my other as I secure my arms around him in a tight embrace.

A hug.

"Thank you," I softly breathe, "for protecting me."

It's all I've wanted to say since the moment he came to my rescue. I was just so paralyzed by fear last night in the forest that I could barely say or do much of anything at all.

His muscles become rigid as I nuzzle my face in his chest-plate of gauze. I notice the fabric is thinner here than on his back and that he smells of elegance and warmth from the deep, musky, fig aroma rising off his skin.

It almost makes me hungry?

How peculiar.

Silently, he steps away from me with an expression void of emotion while insecurity crawls through my skin at the fact that he didn't even return the gesture.

His lips part as though he will say something, but then they shut as he frowns at the floor, turns, and leaves shutting the door on his way out.

Why is he so upset?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Image of: Leonidas

Thank you for reading. Please COMMENT and vote.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.8K 214 26
The drums of war have just been sent roaring!! Now whom is my Father's grand army fighting against???, Well no one is entirely sure, but to instill m...
183K 11.5K 36
Alera lost her mother early in life and was raised by a strict king for a father and the many nursemaids who crossed themselves before touching her...
108 9 9
She has given everything for her spot on the throne. He could take it all away. After the people of Thebes start mysteriously dropping dead, Ophelia...
286 125 28
Alexandra Malcadiza was a peasant girl in the Goldivia Kingdom who swore to herself that one day she would become a princess. Excerpt: "When I grew u...