The Tale of a Princess Fallen...

By madisonrae19

Rosilabeth grew up as your average pampered Princess, only caring about her twinkling jewels, embellished clo... More

Welcome and Cast List!
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Epilogue
My Other Books!

Chapter Seven

156 12 0
By madisonrae19

Rose took a deep breath as she gathered her courage. It was finally time for Josiah's ball, and she was not looking forward to it. She knew everyone pitied her marital situation, or lack there of, and she hated the cat-like smiles and false words of sympathy. They all talked about her behind her back. All those people crowded in with their judging stares was enough to intimidate the strongest of people, and Rose had to face Josiah as well. It was painful to look at him but not being able to hold him like she craved.

Her dress was extravagant and beautiful, a deep emerald green in colour to match her eyes, with a full satin skirt that squished as she walked. The bodice was patterned with small gold and pink flowers, and her corset was done up so tight her waist was minuscule. A heart-shaped neckline and off the shoulder long, floaty sleeves flattered her chest and made her pale skin glow under the soft candle light. A heavy emerald necklace was draped around her neck and dropped into her cleavage, shining enchantingly and matching the ornate earrings pinned in her ears. Her tiara was gold and had the finest emeralds and diamonds encased in it, highlighting her lovely golden hair that was braided at the top and fell in gentle waves down to her waist. Soft makeup had enhanced her features, and the maids cooed over her appearance, telling her she looked enchanting, but Rose was not sure she believed them. The dress was beautiful, sure, but she could not see beauty in herself.

Rose kept thinking back to Romi whom she did not expect to spend time with ever again. Their argument was embarrassing and made her want to hide from him. It was unfortunate and she felt an underlying sense of sadness as she had grown used to his company, and was awake for most of the previous night just thinking about him. However, she had stormed away from him dramatically and probably ruined all chance of a friendship between them both.

"Are you ready Rosilabeth?" Aurora called out.

"Y-yes, of course." Rose nodded as she turned her attention back to her imminent arrival in the ballroom.

She was to enter behind Aurora and her family, embarrassingly alone as usual. Aurora and Theodosius were matching in navy blue outfits, and were a beautiful couple as usual. Both of them attracted unending amounts of attention and envy because of their good looks and power. Their twins Maxim and Magdalena looked adorable in formal wear matching their parents too. Nijah, Henri and their family were at the front preparing to enter first, then it was Aurora and Theodosius, then Rose, then Nijah's mother. Nijah's sisters were not to enter with the Royal party, which Rose found strange, but things were done differently in Aubriemia to Yemini.

A dull chatter and tinkling music could be heard on the other side of the great oak doors, concealing the ballroom. A flurry of nerves threatened to hold Rose captive as the King and Queen instructed for the doors to be opened, but she held her head high as the distant sound was unblocked and the guests started clapping for their arrival.

One by one, each family entered regally into the room, welcomed by polite applause. The ballroom was a glittering gold, from the reflective floors to the huge window frames stretching up to the high ornately carved ceilings. Each attendee was dressed to impress, and Rose smiled at her maid Loretta who was stood with her husband on the side-lines. Nijah and Henri always invited their staff to attend dances and balls as a way of thanks for all of their hard work.

Rose made her way up to the platform for the Royal Family. She could sit on one of the golden benches and hopefully be left alone all night. There was entertainment and food for the children whilst the adults dined, drank and danced separately. Even the children were dressed in the finest frocks and suits trying to outdo everyone else, matching their parents flaunting their jewels and wealth. Rose noticed men following her with their eyes, probably hoping for a dance. She was planning to stay out of everyone's way though, as she did not want to dance with anyone. Well, no one in the ballroom anyway.

Rose sighed as she sat on one of the ornate benches behind Henri and Nijah's thrones. Nijah started a speech thanking everyone for attending, when little Kinnette started to fuss making the crowd 'aww'. Aurora and her family were sat opposite on thrones of their own as Maxim and Magdalena sat passively in their arms, occasionally waving at the crowd with huge smiles. Rose was sat next to Nijah's mother who was still dressed in black three years after her husband's death.

As Rose looked out into the sea of bright reds, glistening crystals and soft blues, she noticed a strange man staring at her with a cryptic smile. Her eyebrows furrowed as she looked behind her, only to be met with a lustrous red curtain spanning the wall, wondering if he was staring at somebody else. She had certainly never seen him before and the way he was looking at her disturbed her. He was older in years with dark leathery skin and an eyeglass, and was clearly not listening to Nijah at all. As Rose turned back around she felt her heartbeat thump faster in her chest as the odd man had disappeared, swallowed up by the excitable crowd.

Just then, Henri said a few words as Kinnette refused to settle and a maid took her away, and everyone burst out into applause as he congratulated his 'sons' birthday. Rose shook her tense feeling off, sure the alarming man was just a harmless gentleman who like the way she looked.

They had consumed a huge feast before entering into the ballroom, which the kitchen staff had been preparing for, for the whole of the last week. Rose did not eat too much as she wanted to maintain her small waist, along with most of the women, but the men ate heartily and ripped into the different meats and hundreds of accompanying dishes.

The children were then taken to enjoy their own party, and it did not surprise Rose when both Nijah and Aurora went with them to make sure their little ones would be all right once parted. They were both very motherly.

The huge orchestra started playing a waltz, and many people got up to dance or mingle with each other over glasses of champagne.

"I am going to the ladies room; I shall see you later on." Nijah's mother announced before leaving as her maids hurried to follow her, meaning Rose was now all on her own.

She noticed a few people looking at her with disdain, probably wondering why she was sat alone hiding behind the Royal Guards. Rose did not want to get an even worse reputation, so with a sigh she pulled herself from her hiding spot and joined the dance floor to fulfil her Princess duties. The crowning jewel of the room - the spectacular diamond chandelier, which cost a small palace, hung proudly overhead and held thousands of orange candles. Rose thought that being in charge of lighting the candles must be the most boring task in the world.

She decided that she would dance with a few gentleman before she called it a night, preferably men who were married and respectable. The handsy, arrogant ones were always the worst. As she swept through the crowds with her heavy satin skirts weighing her down, she was surprised to feel a gentle tap on her shoulder. She turned around curiously and froze, shocked at who she saw behind her.

Romi.

Her eyebrows raised and she was not sure on what to say, as he stood there with a sheepish smile in an old suit. He may not have been dressed in limitless wealth or have a single large estate to his name, but his smile and just the fact that he was there warmed Rosilabeth's cold heart.

"Hello your highness... You look beautiful." He murmured with wide eyes, his words meaning so much more then anyone else's.

"Thank you Romi... You look very h-handsome too." Rose replied with bright red cheeks and a bashful smile.

It was true... He certainly scrubbed up well, and his suit was coincidentally emerald in colour, matching to her dress as if they had planned it. His dark eyes looked at her softly and his deeply bronzed skin was flawless and smooth.

"Oh thank you Princess. My sister helped me get ready, and this is my dad's old suit. It is all that I had." He revealed looking a little embarrassed.

"I think you look lovely." Rose replied sincerely. "Also... I want to apologise for the way I acted yesterday. It was uncalled for, and the truth of the matter is you are right." Rose sighed guiltily.

"No, please do not apologise. I never should have said those things. You are right, money and power does not make everyone selfish and horrid - you are proof of that and your sister too. I was speaking out of turn and I am so sorry for that. I hope you will forgive me." Romi stated nervously as he took Rose's hands in his own causing tingles to run up her arms.

"I forgive you." She promised with her eyes locked into his.

"Thank goodness." He sighed making her giggle. "Would you like to dance?" He then asked, and Rose nodded without thinking.

With an excited smile he gently lead her to the dance floor, but she suddenly felt rather embarrassed, as she was giving her first dance to a stable boy! What would everyone think? It was bound to cause some staring and rumours! However, when he spun her round and pulled her in close to his body, all she could think about was he. She trembled a little, feeling speechless as they started to sway. She had not been close to a man she liked in so long, and it made her feel a little sick, but she had an overriding sense of safety in his arms.

"Is this ok?" Romi asked, and she was hyper aware of the warmth of his calloused fingers caressing her waist and holding her hand tightly.

"Y-Yes." Rose exhaled, not daring to look anywhere else apart from his eyes as he led her around the dance floor.

His posture was perfect and form flawless, and his towering height meant he was the ideal dance partner for Rosilabeth. As they continued to dance Rose felt herself relax into him further, until she jolted back a little as their chests touched. When Romi spun her out she caught sight of Aurora smiling at them both, which made her groan inside. There was no doubt in her mind that Aurora would have hundreds of questions about them later. Rose also noticed Nijah and Henri were now dancing as well, and as they twirled past each other Nijah winked at them whilst Henri looked on displeased, as if he were Rose's father.

Romi never once trod on Rose's toes, and led her just as well as any other gentleman. When the dance finally drew to a close Romi and Rose bowed and curtsied to each other with slightly red cheeks. Romi took her hand once again and guided her to the side-lines of the dance. Rose noticed a few people looking at their odd coupling, but she found that she did not really care too much. She was happy.

"Would you like a drink Princess?" He asked, as Rose suddenly felt shy and wished she were still safely in his arms.

She quickly dismissed the thought, but she could not fully squash it.

"Yes please, a champagne will do." She requested politely, hoping that a little distance between them both would allow her to clear her head.

Romi nodded politely before heading off to retrieve the drinks. She waited alone rocking on her heels as she contemplated whether it was wise to continue spending time with him. He made her heart flutter, and she knew that she was becoming addicted to his sweet touch.

"Hello Princess." Someone suddenly announced from behind her, making her jump.

She turned quickly and took a few steps back as she saw the creepy man that was staring at her from the crowds earlier standing much too close.

Edited

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

261 12 10
Lancelot Allen Rinesileth was a son of rich merchant. He was considered to be one of the respectable and knowledgeable person of his era. He was exce...
113 41 18
"In a tale of betrayal and vengeance, orchestrates a devastating betrayal that shatters the protagonist's life. Left for dead and fueled by rage, th...
558K 17.3K 34
You all know the old fairy-tale's where an evil and cruel dragon kidnaps the princess because of her beauty and then knights in shinning armour arriv...
34.2K 861 52
A high trained Assassin is betrayed by her former lover, also known as the Royal's Son. The story takes place in Elisora, known for it's dark secrets...