Among The Darkness

By LunaMoon1947

Book #2 in the Into The Woods Series For the last six years, Tabari has been plagued by terrifying nightmares... More

A/N
Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Six
Options
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Epilogue
Out Of The Woods
New Book

Twenty Five

2.2K 136 3
By LunaMoon1947

One week later, Tabari finds himself standing in the town square of Bowyn's kingdom. Dressed in elegant ceremonial robes. Opulent jewels hand from his neck, wrists, and clothing. Signifying his royal status.

All of the townspeople gathered around the stage, wearing their best clothing as they witness their Queen's coronation. They watched as Tabari stared longingly at the space where their King should have been. In its place, the King's crown sat. It was shocking seeing how much love and sorrow surrounded their Queen.

Today should have been a joyous day for him. A day where the Queen would solidify their marriage to the King. To take the King's last name. Tabari places his hand onto Bowyn's crown, staring up at Gorgio, the royal advisor who was taking the place of Bowyn. Bowyn was supposed to recite the oath with Tabari. But unfortunate circumstances made Gorgio take his place.

Silence falls over the crowd as Gorgio has Tabari place his right hand atop a red book. Signifying that the ceremony was beginning. Tabari's heart pounds in his chest as he feels the stares of thousands of pack members on his form. It was terrifying, standing before so many people. He was nervous that he was going to falter or mess up. The last thing he wanted to do was to make a fool of himself.

"Do you," Gorgio begins. "Tabari Rowe, promise to lead your people with a firm yet forgiving hand. Promise to guide your people down the right path, bring comfort to any that need it."

"I do."

"Do you promise to stand by your King. Never to stray from him, never to be unfaithful. To honor and love him for the entirety of your lives. To rule your kingdom side by side as equals and never use your power over your people recklessly?"

"I d-do," Tabari's voice falters. Bowyn may not survive. The fact that his life may be cut short made Tabari's eyes water. He missed Bowyn so much that it physically hurt to think about his love in pain. It made Tabari want to drop everything and rush back to the palace to comfort his King.

The townspeople watch as a single tear rolls down their Queen's cheek. Showing just how much the absence of their King affected him.

Tabari grabs hold of Bowyn's crown as Gorgio lifts a crown that was specially made for him. The crown had lovely blue and silver jewels adorning it. It was simple yet beautiful. It was feminine but Tabari did not mind. He loved it. Tabari's eyes well up with tears for the second time. It made him happy knowing that Bowyn designed the crown with him in mind.

Gorgio places the crown atop his head, smoothing out his Queen's hair to better fit with the crown. He smiles reassuringly at the young boy, stepping back so Tabari is the main focus on the stage.

"I now pronounce you, Tabari Rowe, Queen of the Northern Isle!"

Gorgio and the rest of the townspeople bow to their Queen, a sense of calmness taking over their beings as Tabari's power surges through the open space. Filling the spot of Queen that had been empty for so many years.

Tabari stands before his people, a strong aura surrounding him. He had to be strong. For Bowyn. For Ambrose. For his people...

The townspeople stand, awaiting a speech from their Queen. Tabari loses his voice momentarily, shocked by the amount of loyalty and adoration he felt through the pack bond. Thousands of faces stare up at him, nothing but acceptance radiating on their faces. Tabari finds his voice at that moment, clearing his throat and standing taller.

"As all of you know, your King is not doing well. He is severely injured and there is a high chance that he may pass on. I love my husband. He is my everything. And I know that he loves his people.  He would want them to be well taken care of. Not only do I wish to be a Queen that you can look up to, but I also want to be a Queen who gives back to his people. I grew up as a commoner. I know that some of you struggle more than the rest. My goal is to make our kingdom a haven, a kingdom that makes people genuinely proud to be a part of it. There will be some changes within the whole pack.

"And should my husband pass, I will do my absolute best to rule over my kingdom fairly. To rule the way that he would want me to. I appreciate that every one of you came to my coronation. For accepting me as your Queen. Accepting my son. Thank you."

Gorgio picks up said squirming pup, lifting him into the air. The pup squeals as he is lifted, making the townspeople smile. Some even let out a laugh with the happy pup.

"Prince Ambrose Rowe, say hello to your people," Gorgio says to the pup.

Tabari smiles at his son, waving gracefully at the crowd. Ambrose copying his mother, waving at the townspeople. In turn, the townspeople happily bow to their prince.

Tabari takes his pup into his arms and smiles at his people once more. Gorgio guides him off of the stage and to a carriage waiting for him. He climbs into the carriage, Gorgio following. After they settle, the driver begins their short trip back to the palace.

"You did very well today, Your Highness. I will have the servants prepare you some tea and draw you a bath once they return from town."

"Thank you, but I would like to return to my mate's bedchamber. He needs me to be with him now more than ever. Any moment, he could pass and I want him to be surrounded by his family if he is ever to leave this world."

"As you wish, Your Highness."

~~~

Lenore sits next to Bowyn's bedside, stroking his hair away from his face. Tabari had given Lenore permission to stay back with the doctors instead of witnessing his coronation. He was grateful for his brother in law's kindness, not wanting to leave his eldest brother's side.

"Hello big brother," Lenore says. "It is me again. Lenore. I miss you."

Bowyn lay perfectly still, his chest bare. His wound was healing surprisingly quickly. The poison was able to be extracted from the area but not before it spread. Which is why Bowyn was in a coma. The doctors were afraid that the poison will spread too far. If it spreads to his heart or his brain he will surely have a slow and painful death. The only way to find out if the poison spread that far, unfortunately, was if Bowyn suddenly dies or he never wakes up. The only way to gauge the damage caused by the poison is Bowyn's condition after he wakes...

If he wakes...

"I dreamt of you last night. Well, it was more of a memory, not a dream. It is a memory that I love to see. I am not sure that I am supposed to remember it. I was only around one when it happened. Do you remember when I was a little pup, you and Kato used to fight over me. About who got to hold or play with me. You loved to take me for walks through the garden. To throw me into the air and catch me. Kato would read me books and try to teach me to swing a wooden sword. I would always drop it though. It was too heavy for me to hold on my own. I loved to spend time with you. My older brothers were my everything. I looked up to both of you. Spending time with you was always the highlight of my day.

"But one morning I would not stop crying. No one could figure out why. So both you and Kato took me for a stroll in an attempt to make me feel better. Only then, did I stop crying. All I wanted was to spend time with both of my big brothers at once. After that day we began to spend time together. All three of us. Kato was not a bad person. He was very sweet. But greed got the best of him. I sometimes miss him, Bowyn. I miss all of them so much. My heart aches each time I think of them. I miss them so much! I miss you! Please come back to me, big brother!"

Lenore sobs, covering his face in his hands. His cries echo throughout the otherwise silent room. His body shook with each hiccuping sob.

He jumps as he feels a hand press against his shoulder.

Bowyn?!

Lenore's eyes fly open. Only to be met with the concerned face of Tabari. His hand on Lenore's shoulder. Not Bowyn's. Bowyn still lay in the same position, unmoving.

Tabari was gorgeous. Dressed in ceremonial garbs, a stunning crown atop his head. Tabari sets Ambrose down next to Bowyn so he could cuddle close to his father.

"Lenore, are you alright?"

Lenore's sobs only grow louder, the weight of what happened to Bowyn finally hitting him. Tabari gathers Lenore into his arms and sits beside him. He comforts the boy, tears forming in his eyes at Lenore's pain. He knew exactly what Lenore was going through.

"I know. I know. I miss him too. Bowyn knows that you love him. He loves you so much. He is fighting, trust me. He is fighting to wake. Each day is a new day. Anything can happen. But we need to be here for him and talk to him. To give him another reason to fight harder. To open his eyes and live another day."

Lenore's hand blindly reaches for his older brother's. He holds tightly to Bowyn's limp hand. Wishing for Bowyn to return the hold. For his hand to wrap around Lenore's smaller one. But of course, it does not happen.

For the remainder of the day, Lenore and Tabari stay close to Bowyn. Talking to Bowyn and crying.

Lenore shares more childhood memories. Telling them to Bowyn and Tabari, a soft smile on his face as he relives his memories. Tabari shares with Bowyn how the coronation went. How surprised he felt at the positive reaction from the townspeople.

Around dinnertime, Akio comes to fetch Lenore. Wanting to eat with his mate. Lenore reluctantly leaves the bedchamber to follow Akio to the dining room.

Tabari stays with his mate. Eating his dinner in the bedchamber. Ambrose stayed cuddled next to his father, cooing, wanting Bowyn to respond to him. Ambrose had cried quite a bit during the day. No doubt, missing his father. Tabari wished that Bowyn would wake up soon. If not for him, but their son, who was as equally broken up about Bowyn being in a coma.

While Tabari eats, a few doctors come into the room to check on his condition. It was unchanging. Although it was not getting better for Bowyn, his condition was not worsening as of now which was a relief. The doctors gave Bowyn his nutrients and other medicine before leaving. They checked up on Bowyn every hour during the night in case of an emergency.

After eating, Tabari scoops his tiny pup into his arms and cuddles close to his mate's left side. The opposite side of where his injury was. He kisses Bowyn's cheek before settling down beside him.

"I love you Bowyn," he whispers. "I love you so much. Ambrose loves you as well. He refuses to leave your side most of the time. I want you to know that I will soon be taking over pack duties. So I will not be around you as much during the day. Just know that even though I may not be here in person, I still love you. Lenore and Akio will be in the room with you at all times while I am working.

"Also... I have been thinking a lot about this. I know that you said that you would never do anything with me until I was completely ready. When you wake up... if you wake up, I want to mate with you. I want to complete our bond. To grow our family. This is not a last-minute decision spurred by recent events. I genuinely want to mate with you and have more pups. So please wake up soon. I miss you and love you. I want you to call me 'darling' again and kiss me and hold me. I hope that wherever you are in your mind, you can hear me. Hear me tell you how much I love you. Hear Lenore when he talks to you. Hear Ambrose cooing to you."

Tabari leans down and presses one last gentle kiss to Bowyn's forehead before settling back onto the bed and closing his eyes.

"Sweet dreams my loves," Tabari whispers. He cuddles Ambrose close to his body, falling into a dreamless sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

237K 13.3K 41
There first meeting wasn't great. One was called rude and the other thought he was childish. More than one encounters couldn't just be an incident. B...
433K 27.7K 51
The battle is won, but the war is far from over. With his new powers on the loose, Oliver must find balance between good and evil - before the world...
1.7M 67.4K 37
Boy x Boy This book is complete and I am working to edit right now!! Quinn is an abused sixteen year old boy. His attacker is right in his home and h...
7.8K 705 50
Who's afraid of the big bad wolf? Radley. That's who. He often hides from the wolves in the forest because he believes they will hurt him. He liste...