๐ฎ๐ง๐ฌ๐ฉ๐จ๐ค๐ž๐ง, daryl dixon

By shalabiz

โ in the sound of silence, we found sanctuary. in every word unspoken, love. โž da... More

unspoken
edit
part i
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
part ii
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
forty-one
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
forty-five
forty-six
forty-seven
forty-eight
forty-nine
fifty
fifty-one
part iii
fifty-two
fifty-three
fifty-four
fifty-five
fifty-six
fifty-seven
fifty-eight
fifty-nine
sixty

twenty

14.4K 572 273
By shalabiz

— 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗪𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗬
( 𝘈 𝘍𝘙𝘐𝘌𝘕𝘋. )

THE BATTLE HAD ENDED, and the living had won. As the storm settled and the dead were defeated, Murphy's mind became muddled with the adrenaline and exhaustion that ensued. The night was a blur, and she fell into a deep sleep at some point, as did the others. Her dreams were plagued with memories of the past - memories of the outbreak and the bloodshed that followed. They were nightmares, but she slept through them nonetheless. Her body couldn't surrender the rest.

Beams of light streamed through the cracks between the boards. Murphy felt her eyes flutter open and her vision brighten. She let out a sigh as she shifted in her spot, rubbing her eyes as she sat up. As she did so, a heavy item fell off her shoulders and onto the ground below. She took it in her hands, feeling the leather material. Wings were embroidered to the back. It was Daryl's vest. He had draped it over her for whatever warmth it could bring. Her fingers traced the angelic item of clothing, a smile gracing her lips.

Murphy raised her head and took a look around the barn. The others were asleep. Judith squirmed in Rick's arms beside her, and she smiled sadly. She glanced around the room, and noticed two figures sitting across the room, their backs against the wall. It was Daryl and Maggie, deep in conversation about what Murphy could only assume was Beth. She knew better than to interrupt. She draped Daryl's vest over her forearm and stood, brushing the dirt from her side and placing the gun that sat beside her in its holster.

Maggie stood from her spot as well, holding a jewelry box in her grasp. Her eyes locked with Murphy's and she gestured to the barn doors with her head. She wanted her to follow. Murphy held up her pointer finger to imply that she'd be there in a second. She carefully stepped over the sleeping figures of her comrades, silently as not to disturb them. She made her way over to Daryl, who sat with his knees to his chest, his elbows propped on them with his hand near his mouth. Murphy stopped before him, her feet kicking up a small cloud of dust.

Daryl's eyes rose to meet hers, and she took the vest from the crook of his arm and held it in front of him, "Thanks."

Daryl took it gently from her grasp, laying his arm over across his knee. His cheeks tinted pink ever so slightly, "'S nothin'."

Murphy chuckled, smiling at the ground. She felt her face warm and she stepped back, "Maggie and I are going out."

Daryl nodded, rubbing his chin with his thumb and pointer finger, keeping eye contact, "You be careful."

Murphy scoffed, nudging his foot with her own, a smile gracing her lips, "I always am. Now, get some sleep."

With that, she turned, sending him a quick look over her shoulder as she followed Maggie and Sasha to the barn doors. Daryl watched her receding figure, his vest in his hands. He stared at the item of clothing he'd owned for as long as he could remember, which now symbolized something new. He peered at it uncertainly, before folding it up and setting it on the ground as a sort of pillow. He adjusted himself and laid his head atop it, hoping to get some rest.

As he did so, the three women reached the double doors. Maggie slowly undid the chains that held them shut, the doors creaking open as the three cautiously made their way outside. Murphy's boot kicked something hard in the mud as they stepped through the doorway, and she looked down to find her knife stuck in the soft earth. She'd dropped it the night before She picked it up, wiping away what mud she could, holding it up in preparation for what was outdoors. But, the trio was utterly surprised at what they saw.

Overturned trees were strewn across the field, surrounding the small barn that stood in the center of the destruction. The mangled bodies of walkers were lost in the wreckage, some still reaching toward their prey with strangled growls. Murphy walked slowly into the open area, astounded by what she saw.

"Look at this," She heard Sasha whisper. "It's almost... a miracle."

"I don't believe in miracles anymore," Murphy muttered, driving her knife into a nearby walker's skull. She pulled it out with difficulty, blood splashing her boots.

Sasha watched as she did so, and continued, "It should have torn us apart."

Maggie pushed some branches away as she climbed through the foliage, "It didn't."

Murphy followed the two women as Maggie led them to an unknown location. But as they reached the spot, Murphy was in awe of the beautiful scene she saw before her. When they exited the forest, a sprawling field lay just before them, and a gorgeous sunset lit the sky. It shone bright with hues of red and purple, and it reminded Murphy of the beauty that still prevailed in the land of the dead. The sky was untouched, its routines unaffected by the end of the world. It mocked the three in its beauty as they took a seat on a nearby log.

Murphy sheathed her knife and clasped her hands in her lap. She sat between Sasha and Maggie in silence. They marveled at the wondrous view before Sasha asked, "Why are we here?"

It took a moment for Maggie to respond, "For this."

Murphy's eyes began to water, although she had no clue as to why. Maybe it was the sunset. Maybe it was to two women she sat beside who had just lost so much, one of them whose pain she blamed upon herself. She hadn't spoken to Sasha since Tyreese's death. She didn't know what to say. She broke her gaze from the melted skies to land on her fidgeting hands.

"I see it," Sasha spoke lowly, pausing before continuing. "Noah, that kid, he said he didn't know if he can make it... That's how I feel."

Murphy pushed down the ache in her heart at those words. She turned to Sasha as Maggie whispered, "You're gonna make it. The three of us, we will. That's the hard part."

Memories flashed through Murphy's mind as she raised a hand to wipe a tear that glided down her cheek. Her voice shook as she spoke softly, "You two are so much stronger than you realize."

Maggie looked at her, reaching over to grab her hand in hers. She gave it a soft squeeze as she responded, "I know you've been through more than you let on."

Murphy gave her a sad smile, and her eyes reflected the truth in those words. She sniffed and continued, "I just... I can't. Not yet."

She felt Sasha's hand on her shoulder, "And that's okay. You'll know when you're ready."

Murphy sent her a close-lipped smile, and the women sat there for a moment longer... so content with each others' company. With everything they had lost, they needed one another more than ever. This conversation meant something different to each of them, but it meant something nonetheless. They needed it. After a minute, Maggie slipped her hand from Murphy's to reach down and pick up the pastel music box she had set on the ground.

"Daryl fixed it," she said, opening it to reveal a small ballerina and mirror in the center. Murphy's heart warmed at his thoughtfulness.

Maggie reached around to the small crank on the back of the box, slowly turning it. As she wound it, the small key emitted a light grinding noise. She pulled her hand away, and the box let out a loud crack. Murphy jumped slightly in her spot as it surprised her. Maggie's shoulder's dropped and a grin crossed her face, "You've gotta be kiddin' me."

Murphy and Sasha both couldn't help the laughter that rose from their chests, and soon, the three of them were giggling and carefree. Just as Murphy felt herself let her guard down, an unrecognizable voice spoke from behind them.

"Hey. Hi."

Murphy quickly turned around. Her heartbeat spiked as she pulled out her gun and stood,  pointing it at the figure she hadn't had a chance to observe. Maggie and Sasha did the same. As her vision cleared, she was able to see that it was a younger man, who had his hands raised above his head in a cautionary manner. His face was clean-shaven and his hair was trimmed. Murphy's eyes trailed to his clothes, which were uncharacteristically clean given the circumstances. His eyes were bright with warmth, which made Murphy suspicious.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt," he continued with a sweet smile. "My name is Aaron. I know, stranger danger. But, um... I'm a friend."

He stepped closer and Murphy kept her gun trained on his chest. Her breathing was steady and her eyes sharp. She felt confident with Maggie and Sasha at her side.

"I'd like to talk to the person in charge. Rick, right?" He questioned, and Murphy's breath caught in her throat.

"How the hell...?" She trailed, her brows furrowed in confusion and her eyes narrow.

"Why...?" Sasha asked slowly, her head cocking to the side.

Aaron's smile widened as he spoke one sentence that hung in the air, "I have good news."

Suddenly, the music box began playing from its spot on the log, its sweet melody cutting through the silence. Murphy's eyes flicked to the box, but immediately went back to the man standing before her.

"Why should we trust you?" She asked, her gun still pointed at him. He began to lower his hands but Murphy stepped forward. "No, keep your hands up."

He immediately raised them once more, his eyes traveling to the two other women that stood beside her. He swallowed in slight nervousness before making eye contact with her, "I have a community, not far from here. You'll be safe there, I can promise you that."

Murphy shared a look with Maggie and Sasha before turning back to him, "Why would you want us there? What's in it for you?"

"I..." he chuckled. "Let me talk to Rick, I can answer any questions you have about our place."

Murphy gripped her gun a little tighter in her hands, a panic falling over her. The people they'd met recently had brought nothing but pain, and she found herself not knowing what to do. Her hands began to shake, her finger tightening around the trigger. She felt a delicate hand on her shoulder.

"Murph," She heard Maggie whisper. "He's not a threat."

Murphy relaxed her arms, slightly lowering her gun as Sasha stepped toward Aaron, "Give us any weapons you have. And your pack."

Aaron nodded as she patted his sides, finding a small pistol in his jacket pocket. Murphy felt her breathing slow as she watched Sasha pull his pack off, shuffling through before nodding to herself and Maggie. Sasha took a hold of his arm, and the small group made their way back to the barn to introduce him to the others. Murphy trailed behind. She was nervous, but a small part of her had an uncertain feeling of... faith. A gut instinct deep down told her that this man was genuine. But the question was... what was this community, and who were the people in it?

___

The four of them walked to the entrance of the barn and stopped before the doors. Maggie turned to Murphy and Sasha before slowly opening them. She peeked inside before announcing, "Everyone, this is Aaron."

Immediately, the sound of cocking guns took over the still air. Everyone in the barn stood up with their weapons ready in defense, but Aaron stood innocently between the women. Daryl stalked forward, brushing past Murphy to quickly check outside for anyone who might have come with the new arrival. After he looked over the area, he came back inside and began to pat down Aaron to check for weapons or the like. His protective nature was kicking in.

Murphy broke her eyes away from him but spoke up, "We found him outside, he's alone."

"Hi," Aaron spoke nervously, and Judith began to fuss in Rick's arms. Carl immediately stepped forward to take his baby sister gently. "It's nice to meet you."

As he stepped forward to offer his hand, everyone shifted and Daryl took hold of his arm in precaution. Murphy set her hand on his winged back gently, muttering a soft, "Hey."

Daryl's breathing slowed and he felt himself move into her touch subconsciously. His grasp loosened on Aaron, and he felt his relaxed hand fall to his side. He turned his head just enough to catch Murphy's gaze, and he gave her an almost unnoticeable nod as if to say I'm okay.

Across the room, Rick stared at Aaron suspiciously, his eyes narrow, "There somethin' you need?"

"He has a camp nearby," Sasha spoke, her eyes shifting from Rick back to Aaron. "He wants us to audition for membership."

Aaron looked at her, "I wish there was another word. Audition makes it sound like we're some kind of dance troupe. That's only on Friday nights."

The joke fell flat, and not one person released a chuckle. He shifted nervously in his spot, "Uh, and it's not a camp. It's a community. I think you all would make valuable additions. But it's not my call. My job is to convince you all to follow me back home. I know, if I were you I wouldn't go either. Not until I knew exactly what I was getting into. Sasha, can you hand Rick my pack?"

Sasha stepped forward and handed Rick the pristine bag, much different than Murphy's old and beat up one sitting against one of the posts. As Rick took it in his grasp, Aaron continued, "Front pocket, there's an envelope. There's no way I could convince you to come with me just by talking about our community. That's why I brought those. I apologize in advance for the picture quality. We just found an old camera store last -"

"Nobody gives a shit," Daryl interrupted, earning an uncomfortable look from Aaron.

"You're absolutely, 100% right," Aaron muttered, turning to face Rick once more. As Rick took the photos out from the envelope, he continued. "That's the first picture I wanted to show you, because nothing I say will matter unless you know you'll be safe. If you join us, you will be."

Murphy shifted in her spot anxiously as Aaron continued his speech. It was killing her as she tried to figure out his character. He seemed genuine, he seemed nice. But appearances meant nothing, so were they willing to take that chance?

Rick slowly stood up from his spot crouched by Aaron's bag, wordlessly as Aaron continued, "Like I said, security is obviously important. In fact, there's only one resource more critical to our community's survival. The people. Together, we're strong. You can make us even stronger."

Step by step, Rick began to walk towards him as he spoke, "The next picture, you'll see inside the gates. Our community was first construct- "

Before he could finish his sentence, Rick swung his fist into his jaw as hard as he could. Aaron fell to the ground, unconscious. Murphy sighed and stepped toward his limp body, crouching to check his wound. His cheek had already begun to form a small, red bump where Rick's punch landed. Maggie crouched beside her with a damp cloth in her hand, pressing it against the stranger's face.

"He'll be okay," Murphy whispered. "Just a bruise."

Rick paced in the back of the room, and Murphy's eyes raised as he spoke, "We need eyes in every direction. They're comin' for us. We might not know how or when, but they are."

Daryl and Carol looked through the man's pockets as he lay unconscious in the dirt. Murphy bit her lip in conflict, not knowing what to say. Trust him, and take a chance that could end in disaster... or never know? She looked up at Rick, "Rick. The three of us, we didn't see him. If he or his people wanted to hurt us, they could have."

Maggie nodded in agreement, "She's right."

Rick's eyes barely landed on the two of them before calling to the people on watch, "Anybody see anything?"

"Just a lot of places to hide," Glenn responded, solemnly.

Murphy's eyes fluttered in annoyance before she stood up from her spot on the ground, "Rick!"

His gaze snapped to her as she walked toward him, continuing, "I'm not saying he's a good guy. But there's always a chance."

Rick's stoic expression relaxed slightly, his mouth barely opening and his eyelids fluttering before groans could be heard from where Aaron was laying. He raised his head out of the dirt, attempting to sit up with shallow breaths, his eyes clamped shut in pain, "That's a hell of a right cross there, Rick."

Maggie and Michonne helped him sit. He groaned as the blood rushed to his head, and Murphy crossed her arms. Slowly, Aaron continued, "You're being cautious. I completely understand."

"How many of your people are out there?" Rick interrupted. He held up a flare that they must have found in his pack. "You have a flare gun. You have it to signal your people. How many of them are there?"

"Does it matter?"

"Yes. Yes, it does."

"I mean, of course it matters how many people are actually out there, but does it matter how many people I tell you are out there? Because, I'm pretty sure no matter what number I say - eight, thirty-two, four hundred and fourty-four, zero - no matter what I say, you're not going to trust me."

Murphy's eyes locked with others around the room in confusion, and concern. What was this game he was playing?

"Well, it's hard to trust someone who smiles after getting punched in the face."

"How about a guy who leaves bottles of water for you in the road?"

Murphy felt her skin crawl at the idea of this man watching them. He had been following them, tracking them like animals. And for what?

Daryl's grip tightened on his bow and he stepped forward, his voice threateningly low, "How long you people been followin' us?"

"Long enough to see that you practically ignore a pack of roamers on your trail. Long enough to see that despite a lack of food and water, you never turned on each other. It's even brought some of you closer."

His eyes flicked from Daryl to Murphy, and Murphy felt her heart quicken in an emotion she couldn't understand. Was it fear? Was it anger? Had he heard their conversation by the barn? Daryl growled, stepping forward to do the same as what Rick had not moments before.

"Daryl," Murphy called, rushing forward to grab his bare arm. "Stop."

Daryl stopped, and Aaron shifted in his spot, "You're survivors, and you're people. Like I said, and I hope you won't punch me for saying it again, that is the most important resource in the world."

Silence filled the open barn, and Murphy's hand fell from the crook of Daryl's elbow. Rick stalked forward and leaned close to Aaron, hissing, "How many others are out there?"

Aaron sighed in defeat and whispered, "One. I knew you wouldn't believe me. If it's not words, if it's not pictures, what would it take to convince you that this is for real? What if I drove you to the community? All of you? We leave now, we'll get there by lunch."

Rick looked around the room, "I'm not sure how the fifteen of us are going to fit in the car you and your one friend drove down here in."

Aaron shook his head, "We drove separately. If we found a group, we wanted to be able to bring them all home. There's enough room for all of us."

"And you're parked just a couple of miles away, right?" Carol spoke softly from behind Murphy.

"East on Ridge Road, just after you hit Route 16," Aaron confirmed. "We wanted to get closer, but the storm came in, blocked the road, we couldn't clear it."

"Yeah, you've really thought this through," Rick spoke cruelly.

Aaron looked at him with wide eyes in disbelief, "Rick, if I wanted to ambush you, I'd do it here. You know, light the barn on fire while you slept, pick you off as you ran out the only exit. You can trust me."

"We should go," A small voice spoke, surprising all who stood in silence. It was Carl. Murphy softened as she turned to the young man who had such faith in people. "Why wouldn't we?"

Michonne stepped forward, and Murphy traced her desperate expression, "If he were lying, or if he wanted to hurt us... but he isn't, and he doesn't. We need this. So we're going, all of us. Somebody say something if they feel differently."

Rick's stared at her with a look Murphy couldn't decipher. She spoke up, "Michonne's right. This could be it. This could be the place Judith can live, where we can live. All of us, together."

Daryl sat beside her on a crate and his squinted eyes stared at her in admiration. They shifted from her to Rick, "I don' know, man. This barn smells like horse shit."

Murphy felt her lips curl into a small smile as he spoke, his timid statement lifting the weight on her chest. The nervousness and uncertainty seemed to face away. Everyone in the room looked at each other in hope once again. They were going to try, and they were going to make it. That's all they could do.

"Yeah," Rick muttered, a lightening-quick smile crossing his face. "We're goin'."

AUTHOR'S NOTE — ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. the next chapter is that big herd on the highway as they go to alexandria, meeting eric, and arriving at their new home! i'm so excited for murphy and daryl's alexandria interactions, eek! anyway, i hope you all enjoyed. sorry the chapter was so long. please vote and comment your thoughts. some of the comments on the last chapter literally made me cry, and i wanted to say how much your support means. and that brings up another thing... 1K VOTES?? you guys are amazing, and i'm thrilled you're enjoying. thank you all! xxx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

161 25 5
in which the strongest group of survivors give their all to save the world. rick grimes x oc
15.4K 481 9
A few years from not having communication with each other, Adelaide Walsh was asked by her older brother to visit King County to fix their relationsh...
384K 8.7K 47
"there's a new sheriff in town!" "a damn good one too" - [carl grimes x fem!oc] [dixon] [twd season 3 - 8] [slowburn] It gets a lot better as you rea...
107K 3.3K 36
"Save me, I can't face this life alone." They didn't like relying on others because they always ended up losing, but now they needed people to surviv...