Blood and Stars

Oleh _that_nerdy_dweeb_

This is my take on a few cliches in the romance-fantasy world, but fear not! I've added quite a few sick twis... Lebih Banyak

Prologue
Moonshade
The Maids' Quarters
Princes
Emery
Ring
Caught
Truths
Bad Orders, Noble Man
An Arrow
Questions
Awake
Weak
Wander
Courted
Scarlet Pearl
Backways
Pain
Blinded
Return
Care
Insult
Flower
Breakfast
Spar
Nightmare
Deny
Heat
Poison
Plots
Unfinished Business
Stories
Grudge
Blood
Stars
Epilogue
Author's Note
Sequel Coming Soon

Disappear

308 10 3
Oleh _that_nerdy_dweeb_

Disappear

Lady Margaret entered the room, looking irritated that she had been summoned by her sister. She was wearing a gown, but evidently by her hair, she had been in the process of getting ready for the day. Her cheeks were flushed, but she held her head high.

"What is it, Pamela?"

The King and Queen remained on their thrones, but Prince Alexander was gone - likely to fetch his brothers. Mia bit the inside of her cheek at the thought of seeing Prince Avery again.

Just don't get close enough for him to touch you, and you'll be fine, she promised herself.

While Margaret had been coming, a guard had quickly decoded the rest of the letter. No one had read it yet, but the new version was held in Mia's hands. She was standing to the side of the thrones, but knew that several guards had their eyes on her. After all, no one should be trusted blindly. Not even a little maid.

She may have been a thief, but she wasn't stupid enough to attack royalty. Much less when there were guards in the room.

Queen Pamela's face was impassive, showing nothing. Her elegant poise didn't falter as her hands clenched the armrests of her throne. "Read this, sister." The Queen gestured for Mia to hand over the translation.

Mia stepped forward, offering the letter. Lady Margaret's eyes narrowed when she saw her, likely recognizing her from the night before. If anything, there was a mild flash of surprise in her dark eyes. Nonetheless,  Lady Margaret took the letter, and her face faltered as she read the first line.

"Aloud." The King instructed. The woman almost flinched.

Lady Margaret swallowed and began reading the letter.

"'To my dear,

It's going perfectly. Pamela knows nothing. I was able to get the will, and changed it with her signature. I am now the sole beneficiary of her untimely death, along with her husband's and her son's.

You still need to get that deal done. Pamela will be leaving on a trip on the third of the next month. Your window is then, as their security will be faltering.

The other children won't cause a problem, and if they do, I'll take care of it. Get your part done and I'll do mine.

Meet you in our Kingdom - M.B.'"

Both the King and Queen looked at Mia. Mia had sensed each word was true, save for one thing. Her magic was singing the truth, and she barely kept her smirk off of her face. 

Her promised gold as as good as hers.

"It's the truth, except for one part. There is no intention of 'our Kingdom'. The receiver will not be King of the stolen Kingdom if Lady Margaret has anything to say about it."

The King nodded, solemn, but Queen Pamela looked heartbroken. Her hands tightened on her throne, eyes narrowing dangerously. 

"What?" 

A voice snapped angrily to the side of Mia. She turned her head to see all four princes present. Asher had spoken harshly. All of them looked livid and hurt, and the eldest had even drawn a sword warily.

Prince Avery was still watching her. Mia swallowed and faced Lady Margaret. She could still feel his gaze.

"You're trying to take over the Kingdom?" Prince Asher bit out.

Margaret spluttered, "Of course not! I would never-"

"Then tell us why magic just deemed that letter as truth," The King thundered, rising to his feet. Evidently, the threat against his wife, his children, and himself had been taken to heart.

"Magic?" Stumbled Margaret, eyes wide with a panic that Mia recognized. "What magic?"

Don't point me out, Mia mentally pleaded, realizing what might happen. Don't-

The King, not thinking completely straight at the threat to his wife and child, gestured at Mia. The thief sighed mentally, wiping her face clean of any emotion.

"Her magic deems lies from truth, and she had declared you speak truth when you speak of the letter."

Queen Pamela finally spoke up, her words cold. Her features, once beautiful, had hardened to stone. "Is the letter true, sister? Are you planning on taking the Kingdom for yourself?"

"No!" Margaret answered instantly, looking pale. Mia's magic twisted in response.

"A lie," Mia called back. The Queen didn't look at her.

"Are you planning on having my oldest son, husband, and myself killed to take the throne?"

"Sister, no! That letter was planted."

"Another lie." Mia answered, her magic tensing again in warning. It was like a bell was chiming, telling her when someone lied. 

"Don't you see?" Margaret cried desperately. "The maid is lying! She planted the letter to call me on the lies! Her magic is not what she claims-"

"She has been confirmed," The King thundered. "And you have been proven to have lied in front of the King and Queen. You, Lady Margaret Bell, will be put on trial for betrayal of the throne in three days. Take her away." He waved a hand at the guards.

Margaret shrieked as guards swarmed her, wrenching her arms behind her back and pulling her toward the grand doors. "You can't do this!" But the door slammed shut behind her, silencing her words. Silence fell through the room.

Mia would have relaxed, if she had not still felt eyes upon the side of her head. It was over. Finally.

"Andrew," The King said sharply, drawing her attention as he sunk down onto his throne and rubbing his forehead tiredly.. "Get Harper new lodgings. She is not fit to be with the maids during this time."

Drew nodded, looking at Mia. Mia shook her head, somewhat frantically. She wanted out of the stifling palace already. "That's not necessary, your Majesty-"

"It is." The King replied, jaw clenched as he looked at his still stunned wife. "You are not safe during this period. Go."

She couldn't disobey a direct order from the King himself. Nodding, she spun on her heel and faced the princes.

And barely avoided meeting Prince Avery's eyes. Biting her tongue, she approached Prince Drew.

Drew smiled, seeing her finally approach. He didn't seem to notice her hesitant steps as he turned, allowing her to follow him out of a separate door of the throne room.

"That was interesting," He remarked as he lead the way through the door and started walking down the hallway. The other princes had remained with their parents. Avery had tried to follow, but Drew shot him a look and he stopped. Mia was glad he had.

"So that's your magic," he added. "Lie detector. That's pretty handy."

Mia kept her hands clasped in front of her, wishing she could drop the meek maid act already. It was stifling her. "If you say so, Majesty."

"I'm sorry about tripping you earlier," Drew said after a moment of uncomfortable silence. "I was just curious as to your magic."

"If you had asked, I would have told you." Mia replied, watching carefully as her magic washed over Drew to try and convince him of the lie. He flinched slightly at it, but didn't seem to overly notice anything.

"I somehow doubt that, Mia." 

It was her turn to flinch at his use of her true name. "I got a sense of something hidden when I touched you. You did not want anyone knowing," Drew added. Mia had to nod at that.

"Why?" Drew asked, just curious. "You could be hired to do great good for the Kingdom with a talent like that-"

"That's exactly why I didn't want anyone knowing," Mia put in, trying to lessen the sharp tone. It wouldn't look good if she was snapping at a prince. "I don't want to be used."

"Oh." Drew looked a bit apologetic. "Sorry. Anyway, here's your room." He stopped in front of a large wood door, opening the door for her with a smile.

Mia gave a tight smile in reply and entered the room. Drew shut the door behind her. She leaned against the door, exhaling slowly as the tension left her shoulders.

Three days until the trial. She had three more days until she could leave and find Lord Javier for her money.

Three days. She had to stay away from Prince Avery in that time, and convince the Table of Elders that her magic was legitimate to convict Lady Margaret. All the while staying hidden from the royals.

Then she had to disappear.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

641K 29.3K 104
"You actually thought you could get away from me, didn't you, Rishka?" I turned around, shaking. Sadist was standing there, a creepy smile on his fac...
1.7K 127 42
Primsharah will become the center of a deadly play, with the powers of the gods themselves at stake ... *** Refusing to watch his family crumble bene...
1.3M 68.5K 63
*Book 2 in the Soulmates Series* After Malekh's startling revelation about the deal he'd made with Ashton, Elizabeth's blossoming relationship seems...
1.2K 48 43
My fingers slid down his frangible ribs, subconsciously counting each one. I stared upon his scrawny figure. My hatred had quickly turned into guilt...