Debts to Dead Men

By rfloetry

[This story is complete and being edited.] Armed racing is Atropellado's deadliest and most profitable sport... More

Author's Note
Prologue (2 years ago)
Chapter 1: Out with a Blaze
Chapter 1.5: Pleasantries
Chapter 2: Beneficiary
Chapter 2.5: Business as Usual
Chapter 3: Family Ties
Chapter 3.5: Consequences
Chapter 3.5: The Four
Chapter 3.5: Promises
Chapter 4: Let the races begin!
Chapter 5: Knock Knock
Chapter 7: Cutter (4.5 years ago)
Chapter 8: Butcheree Cliffs (Present Day)
Chapter 9: Visiting Hours
Chapter 10: Surrender
Chapter 11: Personal Favors
Chapter 12: Donovan (4 years ago)
Chapter 13: Trust
Chapter 14: The Gloxinia Estate
Chapter 15: The Failed Engagement
Chapter 16: Deadly Temptations
Chapter 17: Rude Awakenings
Chapter 18: Joe Shmoe
Chapter 19: A 12 Year Old Nightmare
Chapter 20: Gervassio's Office
Chapter 21: Wager
Chapter 22: Missing the Morningstar
Chapter 23: Sea Spruce
Chapter 24: After Hours
Chapter 25: Spies
Chapter 26: The Pink Biddy
Chapter 27: Sienna
Chapter 28: Aelia Gloxinia
Chapter 29: A 22 Year Beef
Chapter 30: Balance
Chapter 31: Lesser Men
Chapter 32: Donovan (3 years ago)
Chapter 33: Memory Lane
Chapter 34: Show of Assurance
Chapter 35: Donovan (Present)
Chapter 36: Jane Doe
Chapter 37: Knuckle Buster
Chapter 38: Kayos
Chapter 39: Border Patrol
Chapter 40: Dark and Sweet
Chapter 41: Butcheree Cliffs... Again
Chapter 42: Blackout
Chapter 43: Shoes
Chapter 44: Reunion
Chapter 45: A Proposal
Chapter 46: A Queen
Chapter 47: Vengeance
Chapter 48: Gun Duel
Chapter 49: Cold Shoulder
Chapter 50: Siblings
Chapter 51: A Bounty Fulfilled
Chapter 52: Birthday Present
Chapter 53: A Vendetta's Conclusion
Chapter 54: The Steel Family
Chapter 55: Disappear
Epilogue

Chapter 6: Negotiations

35 6 40
By rfloetry

When Lancet finally threw open his front door, Rose's mind blanked. In all of his shirtless glory, the armed racing champion leaned against the doorframe, teasing one of his knives along his fingers as he seemingly stared into her soul.

Away from the public eye, the man wasn't shy when it came to showing off his Blaze family ink. The flames and symbols clutched over his neck and down his arms proudly.

Rose hadn't realized she was staring (or drooling maybe) until his smooth voice addressed her.

"Rose. It's a little late for a heart to heart, don't you think? Or is this another one of your ventures from back when you were a schoolgirl — seeking escape was it?"

His voice was inviting, but she didn't miss the dark intent lacing his every word.

She'd brought ten suited heavies with her, all itching to claim the bounty on his head at the snap of her fingers. The racer appeared unfazed, however, as if she'd arrived on his doorstep with holiday carolers instead of a small army.

"I was hoping, that the newly appointed boss of the Blaze family, would humor a girl of my caliber in spite of the late hour?"

The man didn't answer right away, and just as she got the twitch in her fingers to signal her men, he moved aside for her to come in.

"For you, Rose Gloxinia? Of course."

At her nod, there was a chorus of weapons being holstered and safeties being clicked back in.

"Stay here," she instructed them.

Her chamberlain was perched on a nearby roof, sniper rifle in hand. She could almost hear Isaac scolding her, but she blotted out the voice in her mind.

The door closing behind her was soft. The Grand Champion's home was just as she imagined: modern, designer labels and without any authentic signs of life.

A single, crisp magazine lay perfectly centered on the coffee table in the living room. Not a single dish in the kitchen's rack or sink.

Surfaces were lightly glazed in a thin film of dust.

The only evidence of life was the crumpled up button down, haphazardly strewn at the kitchen's entryway.

Rose was inwardly debating on how to broach what was going to be a "sensitive" topic with the racer, when he offered, "Coffee?"

When she hesitated, he said, "If an espresso is the last thing I drink tonight, I'd be satisfied."

"The last thing you-"

"I doubt you've showed up on my lawn with snipers and goons because you wanted a poker companion, unless?"

Rose fought the heat in her face with every reference he made to their encounter before her graduation. Their secret "thrill" ride.

"Good," she quipped, "You catch on fast. Can you make mine a cortado? We can discuss business after refreshments."

"Hmm, is that what we're doing, Rose? Negotiations while being armed to the teeth?"

The racer glided around the kitchen as he teased her. By all rights, this was not a man afraid for his life. And yet, she didn't miss the gun peeking from his waistband when he reached into his cabinets for mugs, nor the scars on his back. A testament to a life of violence.

"Do Gloxinias negotiate in any other way?"

"Touché."

It was quiet as she watched him prepare their drinks. Making herself at home, she tossed her blazer across his sofa and sat at one of the stools at the kitchen counter facing him.

The smell of coffee in the air put her at ease, and it only took a second for her to seep into the stool and close her eyes. When she realized her vulnerability, her eyes shot open again, and her heart skipped.

This is no time to let your guard down, Rose.

Lancet's piercing green eyes were on her, but he remained silent. She smiled sweetly at him, batting her eyelashes as she propped her chin on one hand.

Before she knew it, the coffee was done, and he slid the mug in front of her before taking a seat on the opposite end of the kitchen island.

It was strange. Like an alternate universe where two lovers indulged in their morning cup of joe together, exchanging nothing and everything with just their eyes alone.

"It's good," she said, "Looks like your talents go beyond the tracks."

"What else would you expect from the Grand Champion?"

"...You know, it's strange, Lancet. You're the Blaze family boss now. You realize that you probably should have beefier security, don't you?"

The racer appeared amused. "The Gloxinia Boss is concerned for my welfare now? Don't worry, Rose, I'm more than sufficient alone. You know this."

"I do, but it never hurts. After all, your life is very important to the success of Atropellado and armed racing, which brings me to why I'm here-"

He tut-tutted her. "Are you sure you don't want to finish your drink first? I'd hate to spoil it for you."

"Very."

The man straightened in his stool then, drinking what remained of his coffee in one swig before he put the mug down and crossed his bare arms.

"Speak."

"The ownership deeds to the racing franchise, Lancet."

"Mmm hmm?"

Be intimidating, Rose. Think threatening thoughts.

"How much are you willing to sell them for?"

Lancet reached to place his mug in the sink then, looking over to her like the angrier she became, the more he wanted to pat her on the head like she was a puppy barking at him.

When he returned his full attention to her, he answered, "There is no monetary value you can provide, that would convince me to give you the deeds."

"Meaning you don't think I have the wealth to match your price, or there is something else you desire that isn't money?"

"Neither."

Rose took a moment to digest the meaning of his words, the true venom beneath his charm. She'd expected this, but was disappointed nonetheless.

"I see. Well," Rose leaned towards him, her words hot on his cheeks. "I've always thought of you as a reasonable type. I would hate to have to make use of the muscle I brought along."

Lancet's expression turned to stone. "Oh? It hasn't been seven days since the burial, Gloxinia. You'd violate Atropellado's no bloodshed code and risk a war?"

Rose spotted the pulsing in his biceps.

He's reaching for a weapon.

Rose retreated, hands on the counter where he could see them.

"Of course not, Lancet, what do you take me for? No. For you?"

The heiress raised her hand slowly, an eye still keenly aware of the threatening tension in his arms. He allowed her to brush her fingers beneath his stubbled chin, the same loving touch as she did his Bayonet.

"For you, I have something else in mind. Question is, will you go quietly?"

She purred only inches from him, teasing the contour of his tight jaw beneath her fingers. For just a second, her gaze landed on the grim line of his lips, a pleasant memory re-surfacing. The distance closed between them, smoke and cedar filling her senses, and just when she expected him to sink into her, the man lifted his hand just as cautiously, and threw hers away.

There it is. Your true face.

There was no masking his murderous intent now. When her new rival straightened from the stool, he whispered harshly, "I hope you came here prepared, Gloxinia."

The safety being released from his pistol was distinct.

It was her turn to cast way the pleasantries, and she hissed, "Oh, I am, Steel." She removed the Aconitum from her garter, squared her shoulders and stood up to challenge his broad form looming over her.

"Sign over the deeds to me, Lancet, or heavens to Cosmos, I will make you regret it."

His canines resembled fangs when he smiled down at her.

"The great Lancet Steel lives a life of no regrets."

"I hope you came here prepared, Gloxinia."

Lancet released the safety on the pistol in his waistband as he tested the metal in his grip. As expected, she responded in kind. Sometimes he wondered if she truly understood the dangerous waters she liked to dive headfirst into.

"Oh, I am, Steel."

She removed a familiar weapon from her garter and met his gaze head on. The latest generation of the Aconitum handgun in the Gloxinia line — semi-automatic, 15 round capacity, and the bullets? Poisonous even if they grazed you. Though tempted to mention that he remembered that gun when they first met, he kept the sentiment to himself.

"Sign over the deeds to me, Lancet, or heavens to Cosmos, I will make you regret it."

You still have a lot to learn; Like your place in this city.

"Regrets? Hmph, the great Lancet Steel lives a life of no regrets."

Adrenaline took over. A shot rang through the loft from Rose's pistol, and Lancet followed suit.

Both intentional misses. He bolted towards her to close the distance; went in low to toss her gun arm away from his direction, hoping to get his other hand on her neck.

Sensing the danger, she quickly jerked away, and used his momentum to go in the same direction his arm was shoving hers. Following his arm, in one quick motion, the woman spun to cover his back with her chest. Her gun, to his temple.

Her relief was short lived. Lancet heard her gasp when he tucked his foot back behind hers and yanked. When she stumbled, and it was just enough time to block her gun arm from coming back up with his own gun arm, pull out his knife, and line it to her jaw. Guns were never his preferred weapon of choice.

Just as she felt the cold steel against her skin, Lancet felt twisting pressure in his gut. When he looked down, he saw that her Aconitum was snubbing threateningly into his abdomen.

Finally, her men barged in, knocking down his door, and surrounding them with magazines loaded. Rose put her hand up.

"Wait."

Lancet noticed her butler's absence and rolled his eyes knowingly.

"Let me guess. You didn't let your manservant in on this little midnight plan of yours?"

"Oh, I did. Who do you think the sniper is?"

And as if on cue, a muffled shot putted through one of his sofa pillows, spluttering stuffing all over the floor.

"I think we need to take a breather, Steel. Cooler heads prevail, after all."

"I agree, Gloxinia, pursuing this would not be wise."

Lancet said this knowing Rose would think he was admitting vulnerability, but the racer was already mentally cataloging every hidden weapon in his home. Just because it didn't feel like home, didn't mean he hadn't memorized it's innards for worse case scenarios.

By his count, there were a handful of men, and though he wouldn't get through unscathed, he would survive, and kill them all if he had to.

Rose was the first to holster her gun. Her men followed suit when he too, lowered his weapon. It was then that she gave him a coy smile after thoughtfully tapping her chin.

"As I mentioned, or maybe I didn't, I know just the place for you. There, you'll have plenty of time to contemplate my offer..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95.4K 1.3K 67
Betrayal. Revenge. Obsession. Femme fatale Yuriko Rivera had set her mind on only one thing for three years now, ever since her father was merciless...
4.7M 138K 43
Warning: THIS BOOK IS FOR MATURE READERS ONLY (18+). CONTAINS MATURE SCENES, VIOLENCE, AND LOTS OF CURSING. (A sequel to The Infamous Rafael Vali...
47.4K 681 33
••••• His hand roughly grabs my chin, and my face is pulled closer to his as his lips move towards my ear, his fingers brushing a strand of my hair b...
292K 9.6K 52
[✅ ⚠️]- Book 1️⃣ "I want to fuck you. Not kiss, fuck. So hard, your echoes would be louder than the noises from the party." ...