Fate Mate

By emilyarenfroe

Only days after her eighteenth birthday, Charlotte finally joins her pack in attending the Winter Solstice, a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 36- Part 2
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60 - Epilogue
Author's Note
New Werewolf Romance Novel
NEW MAFIA NOVEL
The Silent Mate
New Book Available on Ream

Chapter 27

56.2K 1.9K 212
By emilyarenfroe

*** Warning: This chapter contains some violence at the very end. I will put a * on the paragraph before it starts to warn you that it is about to happen. 

The Black Lupis Pack heard their Alpha before they saw him.

He came like a rowdy cyclone through the forests that surrounded the pack house. Eight paws, Nolan's and Raegan's, pounded against the crackling underbrush as the two powerful males approached. I could have sworn I saw the tops of the trees shake as they passed underneath.

Nolan appeared first, a massive black-furred beast that tore through the shadows of the woods and into the acres of clearing surrounding our pack. Not even half of a second later, Raegan crashed into the clearing as well. Although the males were still some distance from the celebration, the bare human eye could have easily seen their wolves panting to regain their breath.

By now, Nolan had seen the ever-growing gathering outside of the pack house, and he and Raegan trotted over. I took a moment to admire his wolf's physique: long, powerful legs that fed into well-muscled shoulders and hips. Thick black fur with grey tips covered his neck, giving the impression of a mane.

They slowed as they approached, coming to a stop two-hundred feet away. I stared at the Alpha and Beta with a lazy grin, unaware that I'd practically been stripping Nolan--or his wolf--bare with my eyes until he suddenly shifted back into his human form. His nude human form.

I practically jumped at the sight of him, immediately averting my eyes but not before I'd caught a glimpse of...

"Close your mouth, Charles... You're drooling," Dylan teased, jabbing my side with an elbow.

His words hardly registered in my mind, since my thoughts were preoccupied with something a bit larger at the moment. Moon Goddess, Charlie! Stop thinking about it! I mentally screamed, all while my insides melted into a warm pool in the pit of my stomach.

A wave of heat accompanied the blood that now rushed through my veins, and I became a bit light-headed. I swallowed the hint of nausea that crept up my throat, and focused all of my attention on a singular blade of grass at my feet.

After a few deep breaths, I regained composure and looked back up Nolan and Raegan. Two pack members had jogged over with sacks of clothing for their superiors, and Nolan now wore a pair of fitted sweatpants and a t-shirt. I'd never seen him look so casual, especially when another pack member approached with fists full of ice-cold beer.

Now armed with his first beverage of the evening, Nolan smiled at the crowd of his pack as he approached. Cheers of "Happy Birthday" erupted from the Black Lupis Pack, accented with a few shouts of "Surprise," and I lingered toward the back of the crowd while Nolan greeted his people.

A majority of the pack members hugged their Alpha, and some older women even kissed his cheek. I could only imagine how proud they must have been of him... If only the rest of the world could see this Nolan.

It took about ten minutes for Nolan to mosey his way toward me. Dylan had returned to the grill, outfitted in an apron that read "Chef Daddy" across his chest, and Reagan sat at a picnic table with Abby and their baby. I grabbed a glass of beer from a nearby cooler, praying that the liquid might chase the uncomfortable warmth that lingered in my muscles and head...

I brought the cool rim of the bottle to my lips, taking a long swig of the refreshing beverage, as Nolan arrived in front of me. His grey t-shirt did nothing to disguise the exquisite physique of my mate, muscles plumped after a long afternoon run. I didn't dare let my eyes drift lower to investigate whatever assets were hidden within Nolan's sweatpants.

"You planned all of this?" Nolan grinned, gesturing toward the decorations and activities.

I shrugged, a long lock of brown hair falling in front of my shoulder, "Well, Sophia helped."

"It's incredible..." He murmured, unable to wipe the smile from his lips. "Thank you so much, Charlie."

He reached out with both arms, intent on bringing me into a bear-hug, but I held up a finger, and he immediately paused. My eyes sparkled with mischief and challenge, one corner of my glossed lips turned up into a smirk, "Were you surprised?"

"Yes, absolutely!" Nolan replied-- too quickly.

I narrowed my eyes, "Don't lie to me, Birthday Boy!"

My Alpha's piercing blue eyes widened, putting on his best display of innocence. But I could see right through him, and he knew it. Nolan lifted both arms in the air as if I'd been pointing a gun at him, "Alright! Alright! Dylan might have accidentally let it slip that he ordered two hundred hamburger patties..."

"That traitor!" I gasped, but we both lost ourselves in laughter. Now, when Nolan swept in to lock me in an embrace, I did not protest. He smelt strongly of pine, but the delicious scent of peppermint persisted. I closed my eyes to savor the moment for just a few seconds more.

"Thank you," He murmured again, this time quietly against my hair. I shivered, rejoicing in his touch.

"Happy Birthday, Nolan," I smiled against his chest. At that moment, I realized that I was happy. There was only one thing missing.

And Happy Birthday, Dominic. Wherever you are...

☾☾☾

I sat at a picnic table beside Abby and baby Landon, picking apart my second piece of cake for the evening. The night had turned into a wild success. Pack members that I'd never seen before gathered in the clearing to celebrate our Alpha. I spent the first part of the night by Nolan's side, meeting his oldest friends and companion that he'd gone through training with.

They told me stories that I might not have believed in had Nolan not been standing to the side shaking his head in shame. When an old country line-dance came on the speakers, Nolan asked me to dance with him. Neither of us had line-danced before, but that didn't stop him from swinging me around, slightly off-beat from the music. When the music finished, Sophia approached and asked her brother for a dance.

As the night went on, some couples danced to the music that blared on speakers, children played tag and capture the flag, and others played small-scale games of football. Now, Nolan and Sophia played against Raegan and Dylan in an overly-competitive game of cornhole.

"Don't tell Dylan that I said this," Abby began, still chewing on a bite of juicy burger, "But he did a great job at the grill tonight!"

I chuckled, wiping a bit of drool that dribbled down Landon's chin. "Trust me, I won't. He almost refused to cook this evening when I told him that he had to wear clothes beneath his apron."

Abby's unbridled laugh lilted through the air, mingling with the old Western song that serenaded the clearing. I smiled, but the light did not reach my eyes. How could it, when a burning pain hammered deep in the center of my brain, worsening with every rush of blood that my heart emitted into the rest of my body...

"Charlie?" Abby ventured, concern clouding her sky-blue eyes, "Are you alright?"

I frowned, "Honestly... I'm feeling a bit under-the-weather."

"It's probably all of that sugar," The young mother noted, nodding her head toward the cake that I'd been nibbling on for the past half-hour.

I let out a breath, a sad excuse for a laugh, "You're probably right... I think I'll turn in for the evening anyway. Will you tell Nolan that I've gone to bed?"

When Abby nodded and wished me a restful night, I stood from the picnic table and began walking back toward Nolan's cottage. But there was one last thing I needed to do, so I stopped by the banquet table and grabbed a plate with a single slice of cake.

I retreated from the gathering, descending further into darkness with every step I took away from the pack house. Given the current crisis involving blood-thirsty hybrids, I knew I probably shouldn't' have been wandering around pack grounds by myself. But... Everyone deserves a piece of cake on their birthday, right?

I veered away from the path to Nolan's cottage and toward the forest, careful not to drop the plate as I navigated the little holes and ant-hills that could spoil my mission. Away from the lights and the music, I now had nothing to distract me from the painful heat that threatened to trickle from my head to my neck. I needed to be quick.

I reached the edge of the forest, took a breath, and lifted my foot to enter the unknown.

"Charlie?" A familiar voice called out from behind me, and I turned to see Nolan trekking toward me in the darkness. "Abby said you weren't feeling well, and--" He trailed off, noticing the slice of cake in my hands.

I cringed, mentally preparing myself for an inevitable, thorough tongue-lashing. I waited for the beratement to start-- for Nolan to inform me of how foolish I was to venture off at night by myself. And yet... nothing came.

Understanding flashed in Nolan's blue eyes, so bright that I could see them through the shadows, and his features softened. He let out a long breath, "You know, I think he just arrived back in our territory an hour ago. I'm sure he is hungry."

I knew who Nolan meant. Dominic.

"Y-You're not angry?" I whispered, unaware that I'd been holding my breath.

"No, I'm not angry, Charlie," Nolan smiled. "Although, is it alright if I stay in the area until you return? Just to be cautious?"

I couldn't blame him for being protective, so I quickly nodded. "Of course! I'll see you soon!" I promised, offering Nolan one last look before turning toward the trees.

Before I could get far, however, Nolan called out to me, "Oh, Charlie? Tell him happy birthday for me..."

"I will," I smiled, soaking in the warmth of affection that glowed within my chest. I had judged Nolan far too quickly all of those weeks ago...

With my cake in tow, I crept into the trees and underbrush, praying that leaves and dirt wouldn't fall into the icing. When I reached an adequate clearing of space, I stopped and waited. A small gap in the canopy of trees allowed rays of moonlight to shine down onto the forest floor, like a spotlight on a stage. If Nolan could sense that Dominic had returned to the territory, then surely the rogue was not far away...

Several minutes passed, and I began to fear the worst. Dominic wouldn't come. He was still angry at me for inviting him to the Black Lupis party. He didn't want to see anyone on his birthday, especially not me. I frowned at the thought and nearly turned back toward the pack house, when the bushes began rustling.

Dominic appeared a few seconds later, looking a bit disheveled and tired. But at least he was here.

"You're here," I observed, suddenly at a complete loss for words.

He paused for a moment, running a hand through his messy black locks that appeared silver in the moonlight. "Yes, I am."

I gulped. "I-brought-you-a-piece-of-cake!"

I loosed the words in a flurry, at the same moment that he rushed an apology, "I'm-so-sorry-for-how-I-treated-you..."

We both paused, staring at one another before the tension and nerves dissolved and we both began laughing. "Happy Birthday, Dominic," I stepped toward the rogue, and handed him the plate of dessert.

"Mmm, I haven't had birthday cake in years!" He exclaimed, lifting a mouthful of cake to his lips with the plastic fork I'd brought. He chewed for a second, and then his eyes widened in sheer delight. "Wow!"

"You like it?" I teased as he lifted another bite to his mouth and devoured the frosting.

He nodded, "So Nolan is still a fan of vanilla? Predictable..."

I laughed, "I'll let him know that you disapprove of his tastes!"

Our banter continued while he finished eating, but when he set the plate to the side, I paused. "Where have you been, Dominic?"

The handsome rogue sighed, stretching his arms as if this was the first time he could relax in days. "Everywhere," he admitted. "I've been interviewing the packs across the country that have survived hybrid attacks..."

"And what are they saying?" I ventured, not completely sure if I wanted to know the answer.

"It's not good, Charlie..." Dominic murmured. "The werewolves that do survive only make it because they run."

"We can't run forever," I whispered, more to myself than to Dominic. I shook my head in disbelief, "Even if we do retrieve the talisman, the hybrids aren't going to stop. They'll find a way around whatever defenses Zephora can conjure..."

"We know that," Dominic took a step forward, closing the distance between us. He placed both of his hands on my shoulders, gently rubbing to soothe the goosebumps that arose as a result of my own fear. "Zephora's spell will just offer Nolan and me a bit more time. We just need more time."

A lump formed in my throat, "I don't want other packs to suffer while I hide in protection! If I gave myself over to the hybrids, would they stop slaughtering other werewolves?"

"No, Charlie!" Dominic growled, his fingers tightening on my shoulders, as he pulled me in to his hard chest. "If what the prophecy says is true, then you are our only chance at ending the hybrids! You can't just hand yourself over to them-- I won't let you!"

His words hardly registered in my mind. Fear compounded into panic, and I started shaking uncontrollably. Whatever mechanisms I'd been using to fight against the scalding pain in my head suddenly failed, and I whimpered aloud as liquid fire released into my bloodstream.

"Charlie?!" Dominic shouted in confusion, but I could hardly hear him over the roaring of blood in my ears.

It felt like I was being ripped apart from the inside out, an intolerable fever that sought to destroy my every muscle. The pain crippled my self-control, and I fell into Dominic's arms, certain that my skin must have been scalding to the touch...

And the only relief--a delicious warmth that now pooled in the very core of my stomach. A heat that would beckon any male within a ten mile radius to come to my aid.

Blinded by my own pain and desire, I could not see when my scent hit Dominic's nostrils. But I could feel it.

*Warning* 

Every muscle in Dominic's body hardened beneath me, and his grip on my arms and waist tightened with considerable force. I might have whimpered, if I still had control of my own voice. But I might as well have been a ragdoll in the rogue male's arms, pliable and exposed to his every whim.

Shadows fell over me, pain clouding my every sense until I only received flashes: Dominic's hot breath against my neck, his teeth tugging at the sensitive skin just above my collarbone. Leathery hands grappled with the skirt of my dress, and I wanted to cry. Maybe I am crying? I didn't know. Fabric ripped, and I felt the smallest twinge of pain at my clavicle...

And then, a roar. Filled with the fires of hell itself.

*Don't forget to Vote & Comment!!! I love you all!* 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

90.1K 276 5
"I'll ruin you till there's nothing left to give." Every member of the lupine Realm lost his sanity after few centuries of living without a mate. Kin...
9.7M 332K 46
(Completed) My back ran into the wood door as he held my arms at my side, my breath heavy and my knees weak. "Say it." He demanded. I shook my...
4M 124K 36
Everly is a werewolf living in a pack where no one wants her. Her mother and father don't treat her the same as her beautiful sister. She has learned...
2.5M 89.8K 55
Carrie's pack life was going perfectly. Chosen mate to the alpha, acting luna to her pack, and in love with her fiancé, she had nothing to complain a...