Lost Horizons

By GisellePappagallo

"No one can judge insanity because no one knows what sanity is." Tristan explained. "What do you mean exa... More

Lost Horizons
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One

Chapter Seven

77 10 5
By GisellePappagallo

Chapter Seven

“Saw him standing there by the record machine, knew he must have been about seventeen”-Joan Jett

“Good Morning, kids! I’d start the class by asking how everyone’s summer was,” the art teacher said, as she welcomed the students, “but I’m not really interested, so I’ll just assume you all had a wonderful vacation!”  They laughed at her bold honesty as Sienna watched the teacher write her name on the green chalk board.  It was the first old fashioned chalk board she had seen in the school.  Most of the other teachers used white boards or projectors during their classes.  Sienna had to admit she wasn’t very excited over the prospect of taking art as her assigned elective class.  She wasn’t the artsy type and she was definitely lacking in the creative department.   When Sienna thought of art class, she pictured sitting across from a bowl of fake-looking fruit and a fancy bottle of wine as she attempted to draw it perfectly.  But she knew from the instant she walked into the eccentric classroom that this class would be different.    

“Ooh, I see some new faces this year.  Well for the benefit of those of you who don’t already know me, I’m Ms. Lavender, named after the flower.  And for those of you thinking to win brownie points by bringing me something lavender-scented… please DON’T, I absolutely detest that smell!” she warned the class.  

“There goes my plan,” a kid in the back murmured, causing half the class to chuckle.  It was only the start of class, but Sienna could already tell she would like this teacher, and just might actually enjoy her art classes, scheduled on Wednesdays and Fridays.  What she couldn’t tell was what stood out more, the art classroom or the teacher herself?  Ms. Lavender was taller than average women, seemed to be around 25 or 30 years old, and had the left side of her brown hair oddly shaved off.  To complete the weird look, she wore a long navy blue dress which had pictures of birds that went past her knees, and on her feet she had a pair of tan combat-boots.    

The room, on the other hand, was decorated just as anyone would expect an art class to be: paintings, drawings and pictures hung from the wall on the right and there were several weird sculptures scattered around the room.  The wall on Sienna’s left had various quotes, lyrics to songs, and random paintings on it; however, the wall at the back was covered by a huge blue-green curtain.  Sienna’s curiosity made her wonder what hid behind the big curtain. 

“I see the curtain is way more interesting to pay attention to than me.  That’s alright, I know you’re all wondering what’s behind the mysterious curtain,” Ms. Lavender said.

A boy interrupted, adding sarcastically, “I’m not.”

“No one asked you, Tyler.  As I was saying, curiosity is probably eating at your minds right now.  Well that’s just too bad because I’m not going to tell you; you’re going to have to guess.  That will be today’s assignment.  Set up your easels so you can start to draw whatever you think is behind that curtain.  I don’t want any words, leave that for your essays in English class, I want a drawing,” the teacher instructed.  Sienna noticed a girl raise her hand.

“Yes, Cindy?”

“I’m not good at drawing,” the girl told Ms. Lavender.

“Well it must suck to be you right now,” the teacher said unexpectedly, making everyone burst out in simultaneous laughter.

“Can I just say my guess?” Cindy asked, embarrassed.

“No, sorry.  This is Art class not Oratory.  But don’t worry; just do the best you can.  I don’t expect any of you to be professional artists.  After all, the purpose of the class is to learn, so don’t preoccupy yourself with making your drawing perfect, just try to make it as understandable as possible,” the teacher instructed.  Sienna stared clueless at the blank piece of paper that lay on the easel in front of her.  She had absolutely no idea what kind of artwork lay behind the curtain.  She didn’t even know where to begin.  

“After you’re done drawing, raise your hand and I’ll come look at it.  Whoever guesses right -- if anyone does -- gets to leave early today for lunch.  Now stop staring at me and put those pencils to good use,” she yelled.  Ms. Lavender sat on top of her desk and opened up a book to keep her occupied while the students finished their assignment.  There was no doubt in Sienna’s mind that Ms. Lavender was a laid-back, informal teacher and she couldn’t help but wonder what she was doing at such a strict school like O.W. 

All around Sienna, students were busy at work letting their imaginations run wild with all the possible guesses they could muster.  Sienna didn’t care about guessing right -- all she wanted to do was come up with something easy to draw.  She glanced over at Ana, the hipster girl with the orange beanie, and watched her hunched over her easel.  She seemed to be having no trouble with the task at hand and Sienna envied her.  On the other hand Parry, who was sitting on her right, seemed to be struggling with his masterpiece.  But Sienna found herself envying him too, because at least he knew what he was trying to draw, contrary to Sienna who had no idea.  Tristan happened to be in this class as well, and he looked as though he didn’t have a care in the world.  He was leaning back in his chair with his arms behind his head and Sienna wondered if he had already finished his drawing.  She watched his muscles flex when he moved his arms to a more comfortable position.  He grabbed his drawing pencil and began balancing it on his straight nose.  He looked like a moron.  A handsome moron, Sienna corrected herself. 

She focused her attention back on her paper, and scolded herself for staring at Tristan.  She would never hear the end of it if he caught her checking him out.  And besides, she needed to finish her drawing or at least start it.  Out of the corner of her eye she saw a pale hand go up.  Ms. Lavender bookmarked the page she was on and came over to see Ana’s drawing.  She was the first student to finish and even Ms. Lavender had to admit her skills were impressive.

Ana had sketched the sun setting over the city of New York in jaw-dropping detail.  The buildings looked three-dimensional, the sun was beautiful, and the streets were crowded with cars and people.  Overall it was a very good and accurate drawing.  Ms. Lavender smiled at it.

“You’re very talented, what’s your name?”

“Ana Dyson,” she replied looking smug.  The teacher didn’t say anything else and went over to Sienna.

“What are you waiting for, an invitation? Go on and start,” Ms. Lavender reprimanded Sienna.

“I still haven’t figured out what could be behind the curtain,” Sienna defended herself. “There are just so many possibilities.”

“Well I suggest you start sketching one of them, miss?” she recommended. 

“Sienna,” she replied.  Then she heard Tristan snicker.

“Am I amusing you?” the teacher sharply asked Tristan who sat up straight in his chair and shook his head. 

“Let’s see how far you’ve gotten,” she said as she waltzed over to his side.

     “Interesting,” she murmured when she viewed what he had done.  She lifted his drawing off of the easel and held it up for everyone to see.  The paper was completely blank.

     “Get to work!” she commanded, rolling her eyes, then added, “Five more minutes everyone, and then I’m going to look at what you’ve done.”  Sienna found it ironic how Tristan had been laughing at her meanwhile he’d succeeded in drawing nothing.  Time was running out for Sienna so she came to an abrupt decision. When the time was up everyone set their pencils down as Ms. Lavender inspected the drawings.  She muttered a few “hmms” and a couple of compliments.

      “After reviewing all of your creative drawings, I’ve concluded that the majority of this year’s class is quite talented.  However this wasn’t about drawing, the challenge was to guess right and only two people did.  The two students who guessed right were Sienna and Tristan.  Congrats, please show your paper up for everyone to see.”  The teacher congratulated a shocked-looking Sienna and an amused-looking Tristan.  Everyone turned to stare at them as they held up their blank papers.  And just as she had expected, most of her classmates returned her look of misunderstanding.                         

      “Is this a joke?” someone murmured from the back as Sienna was wondered the same thing.  Ms. Lavender walked over to the curtain and drew it apart.  People held their breath as she revealed the mystery that was painted on the wall.  But to their utter shock, the wall was plain white and completely blank.  There was no trace of there ever having been a painting to decorate it.

      “Do you understand now?  All this time you guys were going crazy trying to figure out what to draw; meanwhile, there never was anything on the wall.  The biggest things in life can turn out to be illusions.  And most of the time we are fooled by assumptions we make based on appearances.  Since I had the wall very well covered, you all assumed I was hiding something significant.  We will be working on various projects in this class, but the ultimate project has to do with this white wall.  By the end of the school year, I want you guys to have painted the wall with a mural.  Everyone must participate in it.  However, the catch is that each individual painting you do on the wall must interlock with everyone else’s,” said the teacher.  A chorus of groans and sighs were followed by some cheers. 

      “Aristotle once said that the aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance.  I want you to think about that quote while I tell you of your next assignment.  I want you to pick a partner and pick an object that you think best represents that person and their characteristics, could be through a drawing, painting or sculpture.  They will be the topic of your work. You’ll have until the end of the month to complete this.  You must represent them through any object. Be creative people and get to know the person- if you don’t already- before you start your project.  Oh, Sienna and Tristan, you may leave early since you guessed right,” Ms. Lavender said. 

     Sienna picked up her bag and followed Tristan out of the class in silence.  She still couldn’t believe the wall had been blank and that by drawing nothing they had been the only ones to get it right.  Ms. Lavender was certainly a surprising lady.  Sienna had managed to get through her first art class by doing nothing, but she doubted she could continue this way and still pass the class.  That last assignment had Sienna preoccupied.  How was she going to portray someone through art?  How was an object supposed to be that person? Better yet, who was she going to pair up with?

     She walked over towards the cafeteria and realized that, besides Tristan, it was empty of students.  One of the benefits of leaving class early was avoiding the long cafeteria line that would form in about half an hour.  She went over to order her food, but noticed that no one was at the serving counter.  She read through the day’s menu that hung from the wall as she waited for a cafeteria lady to show up.  Today’s meat was shredded chicken and as side options they were offering green salad, baked potato, or pasta.  Sienna was in the mood for something refreshing so she decided on the green salad with the chicken.  She waited a couple of minutes then started tapping her foot when she grew impatient.  She decided to knock on the “STAFF ONLY” door that led to the kitchen.  Just as she was about to knock for a second time a man in what resembled an astronaut suit came out of the kitchen doors.  He had a very high-tech-looking mask covering his face from nose to chin and his eyes were protected by a pair of goggles. 

     “Please step back miss, this is a staff-only area.  It is strictly prohibited for students to enter,” he said, his voice coming out a bit distorted through the mask.  The strange man returned to the kitchen as Sienna retreated back to the line where Tristan stood displaying every ounce of shock on his face as she did.

     “Did you just see that too, or am I seeing things?” Sienna asked Tristan in confusion.

     “If you’re talking about the Darth Vader/ astronaut dude, then yeah, I definitely saw it too,” Tristan replied, running a hand through his already messy chestnut hair. 

     “That was super odd,” was the only word Sienna could use to describe the situation. 

     “I’d say it was a bit more than just odd.  That guy was dressed up like he was ready to take on any form of radioactive substance that came his way.  There is definitely something off about this place,” Tristan mused.  A lunch lady came out wearing the standard white uniform with the light green apron.  Sienna ordered, and Tristan followed after her ordering the same thing minus the shredded chicken.

     “You don’t eat chicken?” Sienna inquired with an arched eyebrow.

     “No. I’m a vegetarian,” he replied, surprising her.

     “Oh.”  Sienna found that curious but did not question his reasons.  Once they had their trays they headed for a table and sat down together.

     “Bon appétit,” Sienna said before shoving a forkful of lettuce into her mouth.

     “Whatever.”

     “Is it in your nature to be rude?” Sienna said swallowing a mouthful.

     “People piss me off,” he confessed.

     “Have you ever thought about how you piss people off too?” Sienna shot back.

     “I wouldn’t doubt it since I often piss myself off,” he told her, focusing back on his food.  His voice contained so much self-loathing that it scared Sienna. 

     “Why?” she asked.

     “Why what?”

     “Why do you make yourself angry?” she continued.

     “It’s hard to explain, but if you were me you’d get it,” he told her.

     “Then if you’re not happy with yourself, why don’t you change?”

     “You say that like it’s the easiest thing in the world,” he sighed.

     “Have you tried?” Sienna asked him sincerely.

     “Why should I?  Yeah, sometimes I get angry with myself but I can live with it.  If someone doesn’t accept me for who I am, then why should I change for them?”  The way he said this made Sienna aware that he was talking about someone specifically.

     “You didn’t answer the question though.  Have you actually ever tried changing your ways?”  Sienna felt weird asking this since she didn’t know him that well, but from looking at him anyone could tell he gave off bad-boy vibes.

     “I was considering it for the sake of my mother, until I ended up here.  People lost faith in me and I don’t see the point in proving them wrong,” he explained.

     “How did you end up here, anyway?” Sienna asked.

     Tristan, knowing the ‘million dollar question’ would be coming eventually, replied, “I would’ve thought you’d know by now with Nathan spreading all those lies about me,” he said.

     “I haven’t heard anything,” Sienna shrugged, and let the subject drop.

     “You must be the only person in this school who hasn’t.  I’m surprised, seeing as you hang around that ginger dude who’s obsessed with you and happens to hate me for hitting Nathan,” he smirked.

     “You mean Parry? He’s not obsessed with me.  I barely know him.  And he doesn’t hate you.”  Sienna defended her friend as her cheeks flushed.

     “If you don’t know him, then how can you confirm that?” he replied, raising a defying eyebrow at her.

     “I know him enough to know he’s not the type to hate people.  He’s actually a really nice person,” Sienna said.

     “Is he now?  And don’t you find it weird how quickly he and his friends accepted you into their little popular clique so fast?”

     “I guess they’re just friendly.  And what do you mean, ‘popular clique’?”

      “Either you are completely clueless or you’re playing dumb.  Haven’t you realized your ‘friends’ are the ‘in crowd’.  Every school has them.  They own the best table at the cafeteria, the guys are all jocks, everyone knows them, they get away with everything, and Nathan is part of their crowd.  And I hate to tell you this, seeing as you think so highly of them, but they only accepted you into their little group because you’re pretty and fit into their criteria,” he told her directly.

     “You’re telling me they only like me because of my looks?” she asked in disbelief.

     “Pretty much.  Look, I heard Parry and the other guys talking outside my dorm.  Parry was bragging about how he’d gotten the principal to let him be your guide because he wanted to see if you were ‘popular crowd’ material or not,” Tristan said.  Even though Sienna found it hard to believe, she couldn’t figure out what reason he would have to lie to her.

     “If it’s just based on looks, then why aren’t you part of the clique, as you call it?”  The words tumbled out of Sienna’s mouth before she could stop them, and she found herself blushing bright red.

     “Because I have a bad reputation and I’m not interested.  I’m not here to make friends, and even if I was I wouldn’t chose them,” he explained.  Sienna wondered what exactly he was there for.

     “Aside from what you just told me, I still don’t get why you dislike them so much,” she replied.

     “They’re judgmental and arrogant, especially Nathan.”  He muttered the last part under his breath.  The conversation sputtered out when their growling stomachs called for attention. 

     The shrill sound of the bell ringing throughout the school resembled a song of freedom to the student’s ears.  Everyone rushed out of their classes like a stampede of frantic zebras.  Parry caught up with his sister and Enrique as they walked over to the cafeteria to sit with their crowd.  He expected to find Sienna sitting at their table by the window and was utterly shocked -- and not in a good way -- when he spotted her sitting at the other end of the room with Tristan.  Parry was incredibly disappointed she’d pick that guy out of all the people she chose to get friendly with; he thought she had better taste than that.  He observed them for a few seconds as Sienna laughed at something Tristan had just said, making Parry boil in envious rage.

     “Dude, if you keep scowling like that it’s going to become permanent on your face,” Enrique joked.  Parry relaxed his expression as best as he could manage, as his eyes bounced back and forth between his table where his sister, Nathan, Jess and Mimi where already seated and the table where Sienna sat.  He watched Scarlet wave Sienna over, but she either didn’t see it, or perhaps chose not to.  Parry wondered if she actually preferred to sit with Tristan.  He ignored that question and made his way over to Sienna’s table.  People parted like the Red Sea when they saw him coming and it made Parry smile to himself.  Once he reached the table, he tried to ignore the stares people were giving him.  He could practically hear the questions running through their heads at the moment:  “What is Parry doing on this side of the cafeteria?... Are Sienna and him together?”, or maybe, “Are Tristan and Sienna together?”  He also knew that his stern face was making them wonder if a fight was going to break out.  Parry didn’t care what they all thought as long as he brought Sienna back to the table where she belonged.  People were chatting animatedly about what was going on, but when Parry tapped Sienna’s shoulder, the buzzing noise stopped abruptly.  She turned around to face him and smiled at him, a smile so bright it almost melted him on the spot.  Gosh, she really is gorgeous, he couldn’t help but think.

      “Hey, why don’t you come sit with us?” Parry said, trying to sound as casual as possible.

      “Oh, well I’m actually almost done with my lunch,” Sienna replied with a light shrug. 

      “So?”  Parry didn’t understand what that detail had to do with anything.

      “So, I think I’ll just stay here with Tristan,” she told him shyly.  Parry couldn’t believe she was choosing Tristan over him.

     “Why?” Parry insisted.

     “Look man, she doesn’t want to go with you so just build a bridge and get over it,” Tristan finally said with an irritated look.

      “I wasn’t asking you, dude, so just stay out of it,” Parry growled at him.  Sienna noticed Tristan’s hands balled up into fists on the table. 

     “Guys, relax.  Parry, I appreciate the invite but I’m already sitting here so I’ll just stay here for now, ok?” Sienna said nervously.  But the guys didn’t seem to relax at all, if anything, they tensed up even more. The level of testosterone is the room was so strong she could practically smell it.

     “Fine.  I’ll see you later then,” Parry said when he caught site of her anxious face.  He willed himself to cool down a bit and gave her a friendly smile before walking away.  Parry was supposed to be the nice guy of the school and he couldn’t afford to ruin his rep because of some nobody like Tristan.  Besides, he didn’t want to scare Sienna away by giving her the wrong impression.  If she wanted to sit with Tristan she could, but that didn’t mean this was over yet.  Tristan had won this round, but this was only the beginning.   Parry would make sure this would definitely be the last time she sat with him. 

     “What happened?” Scar inquired when Parry came back to their table alone.

     “Sienna turned him down.  That’s what happened,” Nathan said smirking. 

     “Shut up,” he shot at Nate, then added, “She said she was already done eating so she didn’t want to move”.

     “That makes absolutely no sense.  Why would she want to sit with that loser anyway? Doesn’t she know about his reputation?” Scar commented.

    “I’ve told everyone about it,” Nathan said. 

     “She obviously has bad taste.  I don’t know why you guys bother with her,” Jess said disdainfully, but her comment didn’t mean much since everyone knew about how Jess disliked Sienna.

    “Don’t worry.  She’ll come back to us when she realizes how lame he is,” Ana said, pushing her food around her plate.

    “Yeah, you’re right.  And if she doesn’t, then we’ll make her see reason,” Scar threatened, glancing over at the other table.

    “They’re staring at you,” Tristan murmured in Sienna’s ear.  She shivered a bit when his cool breath brushed against her cheek.

     “They can do what they want,” she shrugged.

     “I admire your courage, but I should warn you that getting on their bad side isn’t going to do you any good.  They’re really pissed at you for staying over here with me,” he told her.

     “Well that’s their problem.  It would have been rude to leave you all alone anyways.  I’ll sit with them tomorrow and maybe you can join us too,” Sienna suggested.

     “Unless you’re planning to start World War III, that’s a bad idea, princess.”  Tristan leaned back in his chair.

     “Whatever you say,” she replied, rolling her eyes at him.

     “It’s getting way too noisy here, I’m bailing.  You coming, or you going back to your preppy friends?” he said as he got up from his chair and grabbed his tray.

     “Sure, I’ll come.”  Sienna grabbed hers too and they dumped everything in the trash.  She could feel eyes glued to her back as they left the room side by side.

     “So where’re we going?” she asked, wondering where he spent most of his time in recess if not in the cafeteria like most of the people.

     “To the library,” he replied.

     “What?  No offense, but that sounds boring.”

     “Trust me,” Tristan grinned, and she followed without complaining. 

     The outside of the library building was antique-looking, but her eyes widened in amazement when she saw how modern the inside was.  She had never seen so many books in one place.  Besides the librarian and one or two kids that were scattered around the place, it was practically empty.  Sienna had never really been into books much and the only time she actually read one was when teachers assigned them at her old school.  Tristan, on the contrary, seemed to enjoy books very much, going by the look of delight in his eyes.  He didn’t strike Sienna as the reading type when she had first met him, but she really didn’t know much about books, or about Tristan, so who was she to judge?

     “Behold! The best thing, and probably the only good thing, in this school.”  Tristan smiled as he pulled her towards a computer.

     “Here you can search for any book by title or author to see if they have it.  Then they tell you what aisle it’s in and you go look for it.  The catch is that even though the computer keeps a record of all the books they have, it doesn’t keep track of who borrows it or when, so you won’t always find it even if the computer says it’s available,” he explained and then demonstrated by typing in the name of a random book that Sienna had never heard of.  “The aisles are grouped by fiction, non-fiction, biographies, science fiction, YA fiction, Spanish novels, educational books and magazines,” he went on.

     “They have Spanish novels too?”  Sienna was intrigued by that, even though she didn’t know any Spanish.

     “Yep.  But the coolest part about this place is the old jukebox they have.  Come on, I’ll show it to you.”  He took her small hand in his and led her in the right direction.  Sienna couldn’t make sense of the fact that a library could have a jukebox inside, seeing as they were supposed to be quiet places.  But once they reached it, she understood.  The big box with its two pairs of big black headphones connected to it looked like something that belonged in a 50’s movie in a diner.  Sienna had never seen one in person, and she could tell this one had been put to good use over the years.  Scratches marked it in several places and the red paint was peeling off at the bottom.  And even with a thin layer of dust covering it, it still managed to look classic and beautiful.  Beside the jukebox there was a green bean bag chair and a small wooden table towards the center of the little setting. 

     “What type of music do you like?” Tristan asked, reminding her that she wasn’t alone.

     “Um, I like bands like Coldplay and indie music, what about you?”

     “I’m a bit more into rock and I like Coldplay too.  But no matter what type of music you like, I think everyone should listen to old music.  It’s amazing how much of our generation’s music is copied from our parent’s generation,” he mused.  He flipped through the various albums in the jukebox until he finally settled on the one he was looking for. 

     “The music in it goes as far back as the 80’s up to the 21st century.”  He grabbed the two sets of headphones and sat down on the bean bag.  He scooted over and patted the spot next to him.  Sienna hesitated as she thought how squeezed in they would be, but before she could think anymore, Tristan pulled her down next to him.  Just as she had suspected, her left side was squished together with his right, but she didn’t mind.  He handed her a pair of headphones and she placed them on her head.  Instantly an old rock song blasted through their ears, blocking out the rest of the outside world.  Sienna had heard the song before and she liked the beat of it a lot.  It was called “I Love Rock n’ Roll” by Joan Jett, and it was from the 80’s era.  They started bopping their heads to the rhythm of the music and before she knew what was going on they found themselves singing along to the chorus.

     “Singin’ I Love Rock n’ Roll, so put another dime in the jukebox, baby!”  Tristan sang into his fist, pretending it was a microphone.

     “I Love Rock n’ Roll so come an’ take your time an’ dance with me!”  Sienna sang along as he held the mic to her mouth.

     “WOAOH!” they shouted out quite loud.

     “Shh!” the old librarian reprimanded with a scowl on her face.

     “Sorry.”  Tristan threw her a charming smile.

     “I think we’ll go with a more chill song this time.  We’re taking a trip to the 90’s now, you ready?” he asked when the song was over and she nodded enthusiastically.

     “I hope you like Nirvana,” he said right before the song began.  She recognized it instantly since her brother was a big Nirvana fan; it was “Come as You Are”.  They managed to stay quiet this time to avoid getting kicked out of the library, but that still didn’t stop Tristan from drumming along on his lap and tapping his foot on the carpeted floor. 

     “And we can’t go without listening to the classic Nirvana song,” he said and played “Smells like teen spirit”.  Like most people, she loved that song almost as much as he did.

     “I want to pick the next one,” Sienna told him.  She searched around until she found the CD she was looking for.  She smiled to herself and sat back down on the bean bag.  Tristan moved his arm to accommodate them better and stretched it over the seat, placing it coincidentally around Sienna’s shoulders.  She wasn’t sure if he was making a move on her or if he really was trying to get more comfortable.  Nevertheless, they did fit better now.  The famous piano riff of the song “Clocks” by Coldplay started up.

     “Are you comfortable?”  Sienna raised an eyebrow at him trying not to laugh at the not-so-subtle coloring that plagued his cheeks.

     “Oh, um, yeah you don’t mind do you?” he asked a bit nervously, to which she shook her head in reply and watched him visibly relax.

     “Is that your favorite Coldplay song?” he inquired when it was over. 

     “Yes.  I’ve always wanted to learn it on piano.  It’s really beautiful.”

     “If we ever get a hold of a piano, I could teach it to you,” he offered.

     “You play? Wow that would be awesome!”  She was excited over the mere idea of touching a piano and she couldn’t believe he knew how to play it. 

     “My mom made me take lessons every week since I was thirteen,” he related, looking away from her as he got up from the bean bag.  He stood by the jukebox and browsed through the rest of the songs. 

     “Well, you totally proved me wrong; the library is far from boring,” she admitted, placing her hand on the cool glass of the jukebox.

     “I thought you might like it.”  He looked like he was about to say more when the sound of the ringing bell interrupted him, indicating that the lunch period was over.  Although Sienna didn’t want to leave, she didn’t feel like getting in trouble for the second time since being at this school, so she knew she had to say goodbye to the library and the wonderful jukebox for now.

     “What class do you have next?” he asked.

     “I actually don’t think it’s a class.  It says I have counseling with Mr. Teer,” Sienna replied, pointing to the schedule the school had assigned her.

     “Let me see.”  He took the paper out of her hands before she could protest.

Tristan scanned the schedule quickly:

Hours

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

7:30-9:00

Math

Sociology

English

Gym

Art

9:00-10:30

English

Chemistry

Math

Sociology

Chemistry

10:30-12:00

Gym

Spanish

Art

Math

Spanish

12:00-1:00

Lunch

Lunch

Lunch

Lunch

Lunch

1:00-2:30

Chemistry

Free period

Counseling (Mr.Teer)

English

Math

   “Well, have fun trying to avoid Mr. Teer’s personal questions.  I had him yesterday -- worst 2 hours of my life,” he complained, handing her back the paper.

     “Ha!  Well, thanks for the warning.  So I guess I’ll see you tomorrow,” Sienna said as she grabbed her bag from the floor.

     “Yep, see you in Gym,” Tristan replied as he sat back down on the bean bag and took the headphones.

     “Aren’t you going to class?”  She couldn’t help but smile at the prospect of Tristan being in her first class the next morning.

     “Nah, sociology is a waste of time,” he said casually.  Sienna rolled her eyes at him and left the library, wishing the whole time that she was brave enough to ditch with Tristan.

A/N: Tristan and Sienna huh? What do you think? I think someone should start coming up with a cute name for those two. The person who comes up with the cutest couple name for them (if anyone does) gets a dedication on the next chapter. This chapter would have been up sooner but I had problems with my internet (it's bipolar please excuse it guys). Remember to Comment and vote because that encourages me to update faster.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.5K 788 38
Table of contents. Coming to school, being bullied, called as a nerd and hated by your own bestfriend. Is the worse thing that will happen to you. A...
6.1K 1K 65
(Completed; Edited) #Second Place in the Grand Dame Awards (14th February 2019) hosted by Majestic Inc. #Reader's Choice Award (23rd February 2020) i...
2M 55.2K 41
Willow's always been known as the good girl with the wealthy parents who could do no wrong. Little do they know that this seemingly perfect girl has...